Only 6 Months until Series '97...

June 9th, 1997

Monday Night Raw-

Channel: USA Network - Prime Time

Venue: VDM Centre A, Anaheim - CA

Attendance: 12,033

Announcing Team: Joey Styles & James E. Cornette

In-Ring Announcer: Joe Pedicino

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Dave Hebner, Shane McMahon, Jimmy Korderas, Joey Marella, John Finnegan, Jim Mollineaux

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- Why Kavanna Saved The Rock -

Monday Night Raw, opened up with Joey Styles, standing in the ring absorbing the "Oh My Gawd" chant, from the California crowd. They went around the crowd with the camera, and accidently got many 'ECA' signs on TV. One ECA sign that I thought was interesting read; "Jack Tunney > Paulie Dangerously", of course, comparing the ECA's president to the WWF's. Styles pushed the announced matches along with a 'just signed', GWF World Title Match; Stan Hansen vs. The Mountie. He also pushed the first King Of The Ring tournament match; Sandman vs. Bam Bam Bigelow. Finally, Styles introduced; 'A talented young superstar--the son of the great Rocky Johnson (Thanks, Cannon)--Flexx Kavanna

Kavanna projected his voice well, and said that he he saved The Rock from Zeus because when he hears, 'The Rock', he thinks of his father, Rocky Johnson a former WWF Superstar. He went on to talk for a while about the accomplishments of his father, until Slick's music hit, as he jived into the ring...

*'You a Jive Soul Bro, a Jive Soul Bro,

and you always lyin' to your friends'...*

Slick got on the other side of Joey Styles and started yelling at Kavanna...

Slick" Weeelllllll, iiffff it aaainnnnttttt' little Rocky!! You steppedd in MAH Business at WWF Worldwide, when youuuuu saved Muraco from da Mighty ZEUS!!! (Slick pauses, until the booes alleviate) Heeeeeee wiiillll be da next WWF King Of The Ring, bruuuttthhhaaaaaaa!!!! Soo you wantted to messss wit da Slicksterr, then fight me daddy!! Tonight!!! Right here bruthaaahhh on Monday Night RAW!!!"

Kavanna (starts laughing)" Me? Against you? Haha. That's ok Slick."

Slick" HA!! Weellllll, maybe this will persuade you..."

Slick gives Kavanna a slap accross the face, then runs out of the ring. Kavanna chases after him to the back, as Joey STyles assumes that they now have a match for later on tonight. One half of, The Real American Sanitation Homeboys - T.R.A.S.H., Road Dogg Brian Armstrong makes his way to the ring, with a broom and dustpan in hand, ready for the first match.

- Duke 'The Dumpster' Droese Takes Out the Trash -

Brian Armstrong d. The Gladiator by Countout

The match stopped, when Gladiator kept complaining about Duke 'The Dumpster' being at ringside. He came to the ring, with a rubbish can full of rubbish, that 'smelled'. Gladiator ended up chasing Duke away, giving Road Dogg the count out victory. Dogg did some stupid dance when he won, that no one really cared about.

Overall: 68

Crowd: 58

Match: 78

-ADVERTS-

- Francine; A Victim Of The Silva -

Dutch Mantell & The Giant Silva d. Diesel & Francine

Alot of comedy for this match. The comedy ended when Silva grabbed Francine and gave her a weak looking chokeslam. The announcers played it off as if he nearly killed Francine. Francine sold it well enough to be somewhat believable. As Diesel hovered over Francine, Dutch took to the mic and said;

"That's a-right! I don't care if you is a woman,

or if you is a man'!

If ya'll get in the way of me, or the Giant--whoever you is! Your going down boy'! Francine! You could've had it all baby! Quiet time at the farm! Good ol' Dutch could've shown you the way to live! But naaaawwww! You choose a biker boy'!! Well, serves you right!"

Overall: 65

Crowd: 68

Match: 59

Dutch Mantell gained overness from this feud ending. The Giant Silva gained overness from this feud ending. Francine gained overness from this feud ending. Diesel gained overness from this feud ending.

-ADVERTS-

- The Rock Returns The Favour To Kavanna -

Slick d. Flexx Kavanna

The Doctor Of Style was hilarious here in dogding and juking Kavanna. 3 minutes into the match, Slick slipped and fell, complaining that his ankle was twisted. The referee pushed Kavanna away and attended to Slick. At this point, Zeus, who was at ringside attacked Kavanna from behind. He then picked him up and locked him in the bear hug, while Slick continued to scream in pain on the other side of the ring. Zeus kept the hold locked on until The Rock, Don Muraco, blasted Zeus from behind with a clothesline to the back. Zeus, simply dropped Kavanna, and turned around...no selling the move in the process. The Rock, after Zeus dropped Kavanna, turned around and simply walked away, as Zeus started to stalk him, whilst yelling incoherent screams. Slick then miracously got up and gave The Rock and elbow drop, for the victory. Didn't the referee wonder how Rock ended up on his back? They never do. And why is Slick wrestling?

Overall: 59

Crowd: 66

Match: 45

-B.C. Lures The Perfect one into a Trap -

We goto the back where Brian Christopher approached Mr. Perfect, who was working out in the weight room

BC" So, I bet you think your a hotshot just because you beat me this past week on PHAT TV!! Huh? I bet you think you're really good, dontcha!!?"

Perfect"....Well, Christopher, I don't think I'm really good--I think I'm...PERFECT!!..ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT!" (Crowd pops)

BC (Getting frustrated) "...OH yea!! Oh yea!! Well...I defeated international superstar Konnan!! He's from those Libre Lucha Lucha Lucho Luncho Pancho, Puncho, Poocha, Luchee, Luche, Libre promotions overseas!! And guess what? I beat him in his debut!!"

Perfect made a motion as if he didn't care, then continued with his workout. Angered by the lack of attention, BC, takes a nearby rubbish can, and heaves it in the direction of Mr. Perfect, who is on his own machine. This angers Perfect, as he starts to chase BC through the locker room corridors. Turning around a corner, Perfect looses sight of Christopher. But hears a very familiar voice--turns around, and sees The Undertaker...Brian Christopher re-emerges from behind the Undertaker, pointing and laughing at Mr. Perfect--with his annoying laugh.

The Undertaker" Looking for someone?"

Perfect" Yea...I'm not into your little cult you got going here, Lee! This is between me...and Christopher!"

*Suddenly, Konnan appears from behind Perfect*

Konnan"...And me, too Esse! You think you so good because you beat me once, man! How 'bout you two goons take on me, and The Perfect one, right here tonight!!!" (Crowd cheers)

The Undertaker"...you know, Shagrila is approaching...we're picking those who will make it...and those who won't. Brian's seems to have what it takes...I can't say the same for you two. Rest...In....Peeeeaccceeeeeeeeeeee"

With that, The Undertaker walks away, with Brian Christopher following him, whilst still pointing and laughing at Konnan & Mr. Perfect. I wonder if anyone realises that Konnan has that 'Moon Accent' that Max Moon had...77%

[AMBUSH-SAVED BY KONNAN]

-ADVERTS-

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Jun Akiyama d. Sabu & PJ Walker

Good match here, alot of high spots. The announcers pushed the possiblity of another upset, teasing another PJ Walker victory over Akiyama, but The ECW Champion (Akiyama) got his loss back after nailing Walker with an Exploder into the turnbuckle for the victory. After the match, Sabu & Tenzan had to be restrained from fighting each other...

Overall: 77

Crowd: 69

Match: 86

-ADVERTS-

Stan Hansen d. The Mountie Jacques Rougeau - GWF Title

The crowd was pretty hot for this one, except Hansen shut them up every time Rougeau started to get offense. Hansen won with the Lariat at 9:33. After the match Hansen starting whipping Rougeau with his Bullrope screaming;

'Bring on' Bret!! I'll defend this title against him!! Your leader! Bring 'em on!!'. Hmm. This could be a potential teaser for a King Of The Ring match.

Overall: 81

Crowd: 88

Match: 68

- Ringmaster Jim Neidhart Warns The Sandman Before his KOTR match -

They take us to the match, and show The Sandman, former GWF Champion on the way to the ring, for his match against Bam Bam Bigelow coming up next on RAW...He is cut off by Ringmaster Jim Neidhart, who stops the Sandman by placing his skull cane on the Sandman's chest...

Neidhart" You do realise, that if you defeat Bam Bam Bigelow, your opponent would be The Undertaker, in the next round of The King Of The Ring, right?"

Sandman"....[*Drinks Beer*]....Yea? So?"

Neidhart"...and that means that you will be opposing, The Dark Carnival!!!"

Sandman"...[*Drinks Beer*] What the hell is 'The Dark Carnival' A circus show with bad lighting?" (Crowd starts laughing)

Ringmaster" You...don't...know? (Now shouting) It's where the leaders of the Dark Carnival--The Desicples of The Dead decide, who will survive! Who will make it to Shangrila!! And on Shangrila, all will be revealed!! All will be complete! Everything will make sense!! Only the elite will make it!!! Only---"

Sandman" Hey, Hey, hey!! I got a match, man. But..that was pretty cool. Maybe I'll go to your little Carnival one day.--here (flips him a quater), use that for your lighting problem ya got." (The crowd laughs as the Sandman takes his last gulp of beer and continues walking, while Neidhart stands in the background perplexed...holding the quater in his hand)

Anvil, once again, seems to love his new role. The look that he gave the Sandman when he gave him a quarter was priceless... 82%

-ADVERTS-

- The First King Of The Ring Match -

The Sandman d. Bam Bam Bigelow -KOTR

Both of these men have some incredible heat right now, heating up the midcard of the WWF. Sandman's gimmick, combined with his recent GWF Title run, and his feud earlier this year with The Blue Blazer & Pretty Paul Roma (When Blazer stole his cane, and made it the 'Blazer Cane), has made him a favourite among WWF Fans. And Bam Bam, recently picked up a ton of heat, after walking out on Sabu & WWF President Paulie Dangerously. Bam Bam got on offense first, getting Sandman with an eye rake, then your basic over head punches to the back. Later in the match, Sandman tried to use chairs, but kept getting stopped by referee Bill Alfonso. Alot of action outside of the ring, which included Bam Bam Bigelow trying to cannonball Sandman, who was hunched over the railing. But Sandman dodged out of the way, causing Bam Bam to go crashing into the railing, which got a huge reaction from fans. At this point, Sandman chugged a beer, which must be his new trademark for 'a comeback' Sandman tossed Bam Bam into the railing again, followed by a shot into the stairs, which got the crowd singing 'enter Sandman', out of no where. WWF fans have really started to get innovative with chants these days. Finals of the match came at 14:33 when Sandman lit a cigarette, then caught a hurt Bam Bam with the delayed Piledriver for the victory! Sandman went into the crowd to celebrate, with a few beers, as Bam Bam had to be helped out of the ring. There's some talk going around that Bigelow may have hurt himself legit after taking that bump into the railing. Nevertheless, a strong King Of the Ring match.

Crowd: 81

Match: 82

-ADVERTS-

- Owen Hart makes vow to take over the Legacy Of The Harts -

Coming off the break, Vince McMahon was in the ring...and when he's in the ring, we know the interview is important. Bret Hart's music hit, which lead to a huge pop, which quickly turned to booes, when Owen Hart emerged from the curtain. Owen Hart said Bret Hart's time was over, and that he was going to continue the Legacy of the Harts, by winning The King Of The Ring Tournament. Midway during his interview...Bob Backlund came down the isle. Fans were confused...the announcers were confuse...I was confused...

McMahon"..Mr Bob Backlund! What are you doing here?"

Backlund (Over a developing 'Backlund Sux' chant)" Now..now..Owen, first of all, I want to congratulate you! What you've done recently, in exposing your brother for the no good, selfish, rat that he is takes great courage...and for that I congratulate you!"

McMahon (Owen nods in appreciation)" What brings you out here, Backlund!!?"

Backlund" Shut up, McMahon, I'm talking to Owen. Owen...so you've always wondered why was Bret so hard to get too? All this time, you were trying to get in contact with Bret--to sit down...and talk it over...."

**They show footage from last month ago leading up to the Corino-Bret match, where Corino told Bret that he shouldn't show up at the match because 'someone wanted to talk to him'...**

Owen" That's right Backlund! I tried! I tried! But There was no other way...but mY WAY!! The Hard way!"

Backlund" Well...I hate to break it to you, Owen...but I know why this happened. I know why Bret's been so 'busy'. He wasn't 'working out'. No...you see--Bret never believed in you as a little brother! He never believed that you could follow in his footsteps, of a successful WWF Superstar! You were right!"

McMahon" Why are you saying this? What do you have to do with any of this?"

Backlund" He's found a new little brother. Look, at this piece of video tape, that my Backlund For President camera crew found this past weekend..."

Everyones attention is directed to the titan tron. It is at a California Angels game..Bret Hart is seen sitting in the stands, watching the baseball game, with the GWF Lightweight Champion, Lightning Kid. More footage is shown of them, signing autographs at the exit...Owen is irate. He showed an expression of being betrayed. He felt 'replaced' by the Lightning Kid, as Bret's little brother. Backlund continued, despite McMahon's (logical) arguements.

McMahon" Oh c'mon, Backlund! WWF Stars hang out together all the time!!!"

Backlund" Yes...but this man right here is Bret's Brother. Why wasn't Owen invited? I'll tell you why. Because THAT, is the next 'Hitman' of the WWF...according the Bret. He has his same silky black hair. He idolises Bret Hart...and so--Bret chose him over...you Owen..."

Owen" Lightning Kid?? Lightning Kid??! That skinny pile of crap!!?! He's more important than me?!"

Owen Hart is throwing a tantrum, yelling and kicking the ropes. Backlund, still standing next to Vince (holding the microphone), starts to talk to Owen once again.

Backlund" Owen...now...now, I can help you. I can help you overcome the doubts of your brother, Bret! I can help you surpass the performance of your brother far into the 21st century! I've done it with Jeff Jarrett, your stablemant--(crowd booes), and I can help you. Remember, I've held the WWF World Title for 6 years, Owen...6 years straight...I can guide you on the path to winning The King Of The Ring Tournament! Now...you can be an even bigger, King Of Harts!"

Backlund extends his hand out, for a handshake from Owen. After some time pauses...Owen looks to the crowd, then finally shakes the hand of Backlund, as Owen/Bret's music hits, holding their hands in the air...

McMahon" I don't believe this! I can't believe this! Wait until Bret finds out about this! We'll be right back with tonights Main Event!!"

91%

[TAG TEAM CONFRONTATION -ANGLE]

The Lightning Kid gained overness from this segment. Bob Backlund gained overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS/The Briscoe & Patterson Subway Advert-

- Fan Interferance; Followed by an Old School Attack -

The Undertaker & Brian Christopher d. Mr. Perfect & Konnan

The announcers are calling Mr. Perfect, now the #1 contender for the WWF Title...which leads me to believe that they may be going with that for KOTR's Main Event. Depending on who makes it to the finals, KOTR has a chance to be one of the most anticipated PPV's since...well...since LLX. The WWF's similarities to All Japan were apparent in this match; as the ringwork wasn't all that great, but had a very hot crowd. During the match, the announcers kept acknowledging a fan, that seemed to be going around the stands, yelling and preaching about the beliefs of The Dark Carnival. Minutes later, the fan jumped over the railing and crawled in the ring, alluding security. The announcers were playing it as if they had no idea what was going on, as the fan leaped on Konnan, until the ref was able to pull him off. The fan, later identified as simply, 'Raistlin' kept screaming; 'I believe in The Dark Carnival!! I will make it to Shangrila!! ' Jim Cornette kept yelling;

'He's a believer! He believes in this cult!! He understands the message!'. Great job to Cornette on getting over the Ministry Of Darkness/Dark Carnival gimmick. The fan's distraction was enough for Undertaker to grab unsuspecting Konnan and nail him with the cover at 9:33.

After the match, Mr. Perfect was left alone in the ring, attending to Konnan, when the WWF Champion, Steve Corino hit the ring, with Jack Victory & manager Harvey Wipplemann,hitting Perfect from behind with the belt.

'You wanna hit me with a chair? Huh?'; yelled Steve Corino. Announcers mentioned that he was talking about last week, during Corino's tag team match against Bret Hart & Carl Oulette, when Perfect hit him on the stage area.

Wipplemann & Victory helped up Perfect as Corino nailed him again with his Belt. He then went into his tights, and pulled out a set of brass knux. Crowd really got hot , when he pulled out the knux. I really like how the WWF saves weapon use, so that it actually means something when it happens. Corino nailed Perfect twice in the head with the Brass knux before walking up the isle, with the audible sentence; "No one messes with the King Of Old School, even if they are Perfect!"

Crowd: 89

Match: 63

Brian Christopher gained overness from this feud ending. Konnan gained overness from this feud ending. Mr. Perfect gained overness from this feud ending.

Commentary Aftermath

Styles" Oh My Gawd!! Perfect is Down! Perfect is Down!"

Cornette" He was asking for it, Joey! He brought this on himself!"

Styles" Join us next week folks, it's a Night Of Champions!! Plus King Of The Ring Matches WWF Worldwide is next! King Of The Ring continues on Worldwide!!! "

Cornette" There he is! The WWF Champion! The leader of the Kings Court! Steve Corino!!!"

Show Quality: 76%

TV Rating: 8.00

Other Shows:

Head to Head, TNT/Monday Nitro - 7.82

ECA Combat Zone TNT/ Graveyard - 3.96

Biggest Complaint: The inder Gender Tag Match being on RAW

Behind The Scenes Issues: Gladiator working very stiff

WWF Worldwide

--KOTR TOURNAMENT MATCH;

'King Of The South' Jeff Jarrett vs. Konnan

--ECW Heavyweight Title Match;

Jun Akiyama vs. Agent Leif Cassidy

--PLUS, SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH!!!

Zeus vs. 'Finnish Nightmare' Tony Halme

--

Edited by Javert

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated KOTR Brackets

user posted image

June 14rd, 1997

WWF Worldwide Saturday Nights-

Channel: FOX

Venue: Moxfurous Arena, Chicago IL

Attendance: 11034

Announcing Team: Sean Mooney & 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- The Insane Clown Posse Make An Open challenge -

The Insane Clown Posse opened up WWF Worldwide, walking to the ring, with microphones, singing one of their songs about killing people, all the way into the ring. The two did their normal profanity filled interview, talking about the Dark Carnival, and stated that they have officially taken over Worldwide, and that there will be one casuality tonight. 2 dope then asked if there was any team in the back, who wanted to test the powers of the ICP. Seconds later, Doug Furnas (with a mic) appeared beyond the curtains without any music. A small portion of the crowd popped for the arrival of these two in the WWF. Furnas had the mic, and said;

"Some of you know who we are, some of you don't!

But, we're here in the WWF for Tag Team Gold...and if we have to go through a couple of clowns to get it, then fine! I'm Doug Furnas! And this is Phil Lafon! And We are the Can-Am Express!! We've always heard the WWF was a circus! So It'll be our pleasure to go through a bunch of clowns!"

Crowd popped a bit. Furnas' mic skills overshadowed that of ICP's multiple times over. 59%

Doug Furnas gained overness from this segment. Shaggy 2 Dope lost overness from this segment. Violent J lost overness from this segment.

Insane Clown Posse d. Furnas & Lafon

Furnas & Lafon were brought in from Rocky Johnson's Canadian/Regional Promotion, VZF. And Furnas didn't look to happy about having to job in his first match. ICP won with a double goulinteen(sp) leg drop of the top rope at 8:33. Ringmaster Jim Neidhart then said something after the match...

OVerall: 62

Crowd: 66

Match: 54

Doug Furnas didn't really sell very much, which hurt the match rating.

- The Carnival's Leader Will Be Revealed -

Ringmaster Jim Neidhart stood in between the ICP, then made the following announcement...

Neidhart" We are taking notes! We are watching those who compete! And on the day after the Tournament Of Kings--after the King Of The Ring is crowned--we will reveal the leader of the Dark Carnival--and then...the first stage of the DArk Carnival Exodus will begin!!! Mwahahahahaha!! Mwahahahahaaha!!!!" 79%

Sean Mooney was hilarious, probably 'accidently' calling the ICP, 'a bunch of freak thug cult leaders' What a combination....

-ADVERTS-

- Finnish Nightmare continues to be a thorn in the side of his former stable, PRIDE -

Kamala d. Johnny Ace

3 years ago, a typical WWF crowd would've fallen asleep with these two wrestling. But, these guys were able to make up for thier lack of workrate, with a good build on ring pyscology. Ace wrestled the whole match being 'afraid' of the Ugandan giant.

Midway into the match, Tony Halme joined Sean Mooney at ringside, saying, 'You know what Mooney, no matter how hard PRIDE tries...they blame me for holding them back in the past...I DON'T CARE! They're not going to stop me from winning the King Of The Ring. My first opponent is...PRIDE'S newest member, Mike Barton! He was also a boxer!! Just like me!!! But he was an amateur boxers!!!"

Someone should tell Halme that the singular form of a Boxer doesn't end in an 'S'. At that point, Mike Barton went to the broadcast booth, and got into it with Halme. This distracted Ace, as he started rooting on Barton, telling him to catch Halme with the left hook. However, this allowed Kamala to attack Ace from behind, eventually finishing him off with the big splash. Ace did a good job of selling the 'craziness' of Kamala...

Overall: 64

Crowd: 71

Match: 51

Kamala gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- An ECW Title Classic -

Jun Akiyama DRAW Agent Lief Cassidy - ECW Heavyweight Title

I love how they're making Worlwide, despite being the 'secondary/midcard' show, more wrestling based than RAW. I can tell that JJ Dillon & Antonio Inoki, have alot more to do with the booking of this show. This was an amazing match. Akiyama & Cassidy easily stole the show here. Kudos to whoever decided to take the ECW title off of New Jack and on Akiyama. The was kinda quiet for this match, since they still have to adapt to Akiyama's 'strong-style' of wrestling. Once again the announcers were linking the ECW belt to, its origin, the NWA heavily, which suprises me. Final moments came at 21:33, when Cassidy nailed Akiyama with the snow plow, but Akiyama popped right back up and nailed Cassidy with his exploder suplex. Cassidy, in return, got right back up, and nailed Akiyama with another Snow Plow, which was returned with another Exploder. After both men stayed down for an 8 count, Akiyama dodged a clothesline from Snow--er Cassidy, and nailed him with a dragon suplex pin for the pin...Cassidy kicked out, then was about to be nailed with another exploder, but Cassidy elbowd Akiyama and nailed him with another Snow Plow. The ref counted to two, but then called for the bell, announcing that the 30 minute time limit has expired. This match has ended in a draw.

After the match, Cassidy extended his hand for a handshake...Akiyama was thinking about it...but then his manager, Ted Dibiase, jumped in the ring, and flashed Hundred dollar bills in the face of Akiyama. Akiyama then, refused the handshake, and walked off with his manager, Dibiase.

Overall: 75

Crowd: 60

Match: 91

The ECW World title has gained in image.

-ADVERTS-

- Zeus Prepares For The Finnish Nightmare -

Sgt. Slaughter was backstage with The Doctor Of Style' Slick, with Zeus, who was next to take on Tony Halme. Slaughter asked if Zeus could over power, the powerful Tony Halme. Slick spoke over the random screaming of Zeus.

Slick" Slaughter!!!! Can the mighty Galliaahhhhhhhh take on the overweight cook!!! Can the Boxing chaamppeeeeeeen Of the World, defeat the Lightheavyweight Boxing champeeeeennnn? Can the almmmmiggghhhttttyyyy Lorrrrrrd Himselfffffff, defeat one of the devillllsssss lowest disicples?

Of course Zeus can take out the Finnish Nightmare!! In just a feewwwww minnuteessss daddyyyy, the Finnish Nightmare, will be the FINISHED LOOOSEEEERRRR!!! HEEE HEEE HEEEEAYY!!"

Slick looks to be really happy with something to talk about other than Butch Reed & Koko B. Ware. And it seems that every wrestler always uses the "Finished" joke with the Finnish Nightmare... 81%

Zeus d. 'Finnish Nightmare' Tony Halme

This match was over in about 2 minutes. Halme started off by clotheslining Zeus to no effect. He then started to nail some pretty nasty punches to the ribs of Zeus. But, Zeus just stood there, starting in intensity at Halme. Finally Zeus did his double axehandle move on Halme, bringing him down to his knees,then locked on the beer hug for the submission victory. Halme sold a back injury big time, after the match. Good job to Halme.

OVerall: 69

Crowd: 81

Match: 43

Zeus gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- Jarrett, face to face, with his KOTR Opponent -

Bischoff was backstage with Jarrett, and asked him if he felt he had what it takes to win the King Of The Ring. Jarrett did his typical old school interview straight out of Memphis...

Jarrett" Bischoff, there is no doubt in my mind that I will win this KOTR tournament!"

*Suddenly, Konnan appears on camera...*

Konnan" What's up Esse! You forgot who you facing tonight? You facing an international supertar!! Konnan, baby!!" (Crowd cheers)

Jarrett" Konnan, as you'll see tonight--I'm more than a mere 'International Superstar', I'm a WORLD CLASS SUPERSTAR!!!!" (Crowd booes)

Konnan" Hey mang...you may think that you're a World Class Wrestler, but I think that you're a World Class Punta!!!!"

The crowd cheers the spanish drop in on Jarrett as he looks dumbfounded to Konnan who just walks off.

83% [FACE TO FACE CONFRONATION-ANGLE]

Jeff Jarrett lost overness from this segment.

The Great Kabuki d. Duke 'The Dumpster' Droese

The crowd was still buzzing off of the Zeus Match, combined with the 'punta' comment to even remotley care about this match. Loud chants of boring, despite a good enough brawl type match between these to. During this match, the arena was so quiet that, on TV, viewers were actually able to hear a fan yell; 'Marty Jannetty, ECA Champion!!!'. Mooney had no choice, but to acknowlegde the fan, in his non-witty, non charasmatic way, as always...

'Marty Jannetty...a former WWF Superstar...from what I understand...now wrestling in the minor leages, and is actually a Champion there...Good for Mr. Jannetty'. Kabuki ended this library brawl with a nasty looking clothesline.

Overall: 50

Crowd: 34

Match: 67

This match suffered because the crowd were still pumped up from the last one, and so this bout was seen as something of a let-down to them.

-ADVERTS-

- Tammy Sytch Prevents The First Victim of The Dark Carnivals 'Exodus' -

They take us to the back, where Terry Taylor is looking at the KOTR brackets. He sees that his opponent is Owen Hart...suddenly, Papa Shango, bursts in the room with Ringmaster Jim Neidhart and yells, "You won't make it to KOTR, Road Warrior Boy!!! You'll join your former partner!!!"

With that, The Anvil--er Papa Shango attacks Taylor from behind....Neidhart follows suit, and starts to unfold a BODYBAG. Together, he and Shango try to force Taylor in the body bag, but are stopped by a screaming Tammy Sytch, who heard the commotion 'next door'. Shango, and Neidhart try to get Tammy to 'shush', but retreated when the screaming did not stop. The eerie scene ended with, Tammy helping up Taylor. This angle does not help the internet rumours that Tammy & Terry are dating... 63%

Tammy Sytch's turn was completed, and she is now a face. Tammy Sytch gained overness from this turn. Jim Neidhart lost overness from this segment. Tammy Sytch lost overness from this segment.

- King Of The Ring Match -

Jeff Jarrett d. Konnan - KOTR

Crowd was really into this match, here. They've developed a nice on show rivarly based on that little 'punta' comment. Final moments came, when Konnan was about to go for a frog splash, his finisher...which was oddly enough Max Moon's finisher called the 'Moon Splash'--anyway, Konnan missed, 'hurting his knee' in the process. With that, Jarrett locked on the figure four for the KOTR victory. After the match, Jeff Jarrett did his strut until Worldwide went to a close.

Overall: 86

Crowd: 93

Match: 72

Commentary Aftermath

Mooney" The King Of The Ring Continues!!! Jeff Jarrett Advances to the next round!! But RAW is next...It's a Night Of Champions!!! What do you think President Paulies Big Announcement is!!!?"

Ric Flair" I don't know Mooney!!! But, Wooo!!!!, We've got Owen, Backlund, Bret, and The Lightning Kid all in the same building this Monday! It's going to be hot! it's going to be crazy! It's going to be wild! Wooo!!!! It's RAW!!!!"

Mooney" The KOTR continues, as the newest member of PRIDE, Mike Barton, takes on former PRIDE member, Tony Halme!!

Flair" Wooo!!!! Cya at the big time, Mooney!! Raw!!!!"

Show Quality: 68%

TV Rating: 7.57

Other Shows:

Early Evening WCW Saturday Night- 7.32

GCG Sunday Brawl-4.57

WCW Sunday Night-5.00

Biggest Complaint: Sean Mooney's announcing

Behind The Scenes Issues: Shaggy 2 Dope, backstage fight with Doug Furnas

Raw Preview!! Night Of Champions!!

--A Big Announcement from WWF President Paulie Dangerously!!

--'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig vs. Jerry 'The King' Lawler

--KOTR Match uP

Mike Barton vs. 'Finnish Nightmare' Tony Halme

--WWF IC Title:

Sabu (Champion) vs. 'The Rock' Don Muraco (Former IC Champion)

--GWF Lightweight Champion

The Lightning Kid [sean Waltman] (Champion)

vs.

The Dark Patriot [Doug Gilbert]

--Plus Much Much More!!

Edited by Javert

Good shows, KOTR looks good. My pick is Owen or the Kid. I think Taker might win it, But a feud between The Kid and Owen would be great to see. I like the way you're using Owen too, I see Kid getting the shit kicked out of him :D Sytch with Taylor is interesting, Did they form a relationship in the game or something?

Updated KOTR Brackets

user posted image

June 16rd, 1997

Monday Night Raw-

Venue: The Battleground, Sarasota - Fl

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Dave Hebner, Shane McMahon, Jimmy Korderas, Joey Marella, John Finnegan, Jim Mollineaux

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- President Paulie Dangerously's Big Announcment -

Raw opened up differently then it usually does. Standing in the ring were officials Mike Rotunda, Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco. They introduced President Paulie Dangerously as 'One of The Greatest WWF Presidents of all time.' Well, lets see, they've had Jack Tunney, Joel Gertner (In 1993-94), Heel Hulk Hogan (94-95), then of course, Paulie. So I wouldn't exactly say he's had all that much competition. Anyhow, Paulie came out and said, that right after King Of The Ring, his tenure as WWF President would be over. He then said that, The winner of the King Of The Ring Tournament, would not only have the honour of winning the King Of The Ring Tournament, but they would also be able to appoint the next WWF President. The announcers did a good job of being shocked here...as well they should be. At this point, The Million Dollar Man's music hit, as he walked to the ring, by himself. The last time he and Paulie were in the same ring, Dibiase orchestrated an attack, that saw Dangerously, Patterson & Brisco taking bumps from Kabuki, Johnny Ace, Gladiator Mike Awesome, and Stan Hansen. Dibiase started laughing around Paulie...he called Rotunda, Brisco, and Patterson all 'goons', and said that when either The Great Kabuki or Mike Barton win the King Of The Ring, Dangerously's staff will be replaced with 'his people'. The announcers started to speculate as to what changes Dibiase would make until, Terry Taylor came down to the ring...

- The First Female President? -

Terry Taylor, who has no music, stood in the ring, and took the microphone from Dibiase. Everyone already out, had a 'What The Hell are you doing here?' look fixated on Taylor that was just as every bit comedic as it sounds. Taylor then introduced what essentially his valet...

Taylor" Ok..Ok...As Ya'll know I'm in the King Of The Ring, too! And this is my chance to show that I'm more than a Road Warrior! And I'm gonna beat Owen Hart, right here next week, so that I can go to the quater finals, at the PPV!! I'm more than a goofball! And I'm going ot win the Tournament...for the first female President of the WWF!! (Crowd cheers...they know he means Tammy) The woman that helped me out of a jam just this past weekend on Worldwide...ladies and gentleman Tammy Sytch!!!"

Tammy Sytch came out to a huge pop...but before she even made it all the way into the ring, the face of Ringmaster Jim Neidhart appeared on the Titan Tron...

Neidhart" Mwahahahahaha!!!! Mwahahahaha!!! Oh looook!! It's the cinderalla story, except in this case Terry Taylor is cindarella!! Bahahahaa!!! Taylor, you were almost the first victim of the Dark Carnival, last weekend on Worldwide!! You were almost the first to be dealt with! Hahaha! And now..Tammy? Tammy you are linking yourself with the weak! You are linking yourself with those who will not make it to Shangrila!! You are allying yourself with the casualties of The Dark Carnival!!! And you see, when MY UNDERTAKER, wins the King Of The Ring...I...Ringmaster Jim Neidhart...will be in control!!! COMPLETE CONTROL!!! THE CARNIVAL WILL OWN YOU....THE CARNIVAL WILL OWN THE WWF!!! PREPARE, FOR A CARNIVAL....FOR A CARNIVAL OF CARNAGE!! HAAHAHAHAHA!!! HAHAHAAHA!!! HAHAHAAHAH!!! HAHAHAAH!!!" 92%

Once again, another amazing promo by Jim Neidhart. To think that someone with his charisma was stuck hanging around with The Road Warriors, is quite disturbing. Just as Neidhart was done yelling and screaming...yet another person had something to say about this Presidential deal. The Mountie, Jacques Rougeau, came out... 92%

[ANGLE-CONFRONTATION TAMMY-NEIDHART]

Jim Neidhart gained overness from this segment.

- The Mountie; The Law And Order Of the WWF -

The Mountie stepped up in front of the curtain, to a nice 'Mountie' chant...talking..I guess to Taylor, Dibiase, & Dangerously in the ring--as well as Neidhart on the Titan Tron...

The Mountie

" Wow!! What a responce!! You know, there's something wrong with this picture! You have all these guys out here, talking about how they should be the next President...but you forgot one thing! I AM the Law and Order Of the WWF!! And Ringmaster Neidhart--the first person I have to go through, on Worldwide--in the King Of the Ring, Tournament is YOUR UNDERTAKER!! That's right! The Mountie vs. The Undertaker!! You know, any normal man would be afraid of a man like the Undertaker!!!

[*He starts singing*]

But I'm The Mountie!!

I'm handsome, I'm brave, and I'm strong.....

I'm the Mountie!!! And I enforce the Law....

You can always run...but you can never hide!!

Cos' I'm The Mountie!!!!!!

And I always get my man!!!

[*Stops singing*]

And this Saturday Night, That Man is YOU, Dead-man!!! "Hahahaha!!! 76%

Mountie got a great reaction...and all went well...until he started singing...

Jacques 'Mountie' Rougeau lost overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

- The Dream Team; Having Miscommunication Nightmares -

New Jack & Rick Steiner d. The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake & Hunter Hearst Helmsley)

The crowd was live from this point on, after getting pumped up during the rather long opening of RAW this week. During this match, I caught a sign for Jim Crockett's promotion GCG, which is being built around The Giant Gonzales...that read; 'Crockett OwnZ McMahon' They seem to be winning the race with ECA for popularity, ever since they got a new Sunday Night show... Once again, not only is importance now on the King Of The Ring tournament itself, but the WWF has also placed MORE importance on the Tournament now with the appointment of a new WWF Presidencey. Final moments of this match came when Hunter Hearst Helmsely held Rick Steiner up for a running knee from Beefcake, but Steiner ducked, and Helmsely got knocked in the head with Beefcake's knee. New Jack came in the ring, and attacked Beefcake, while Steiner nailed Helmsely with his belly to belly overhead plex for the suprising victory! Steiner did his whole barking routine, which got the crowd jumpin'.

After the match, Helmsely started pushing Beefcake, blaming him for the victory. The crowd instantly took Beefcake's side, since he had been teasing a face turn during the last couple of weeks... The Dream Team left with Jimmy Hart leading his team to the back, trying to stop the arguing...

Overall: 63

Crowd: 73

Rick Steiner gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- KING OF THE RING MATCH -

Mike Barton d. Tony Halme - KOTR

Well they built this match as a former boxer vs. former boxer match...except they forgot to mention that Barton, unlike Halme, actually knows how to wrestle. Good match which saw both men actually nail each other with alot of stiff punches and forearms. At 7:44, it seemed as if Halme was going to win, as he had Barton in the torture rack--but Dibiase hopped on the apron and started waving 100 dollar bills in the face of Halme. Halme, like a dope, then dropped Barton and went over to Dibiase...until Dibiase slapped Halme with the bills...Halme after not being able to catch Dibiase from dropping down off the apron, turned around into a Barton left hook, which knocked him out cold. They are really starting to push Barton's left hook hard now.

Overall: 61

Crowd: 72

Match: 61

Mike Barton gained overness from this match.

- Beefcake Gets a Letter From His 'Friend Till The end' -

We goto the back, where Brutus Beefcake is in the back. Road Agent Mike Rotunda approaches him, and delivers a letter to him that showed up in the office...Beefcake, confused...opened it, and read it outloud...

Sweet Bruti,

Hey, how's it going brother. I've decided I'd write to you as it's been a while since we've gotten to talk. I haven't had a chance to watch the WWF on TV, but I have been reading the newspapers, and keeping up with the results.

I read about the whole WWF title picture, and was quite shocked to see that Jerry Lawler is helping someone as underhanded as Steve Corino keep that title, dude. I can't believe that Jerry Lawler is now supported the forces of evil like Lawler & Corino, brother. And, to think that the WWF thought that he would've been a better leader than me! But you know who the real loosers in this are? The Fans. They put their trust in Jerry Lawler. They loved Jerry Lawler. And he used that trust against them. Brother, if only I was still in the WWF.

Anyway, brother, I'm having a blast here working in Atlanta dude. I know everything over there in the WWF will be OK with you still there brother. So make things right brother! Fight for the fans, dude! Keep giving those haircuts!!!

Signed,

Your Friend 'til The End, Terry.

Little did Beefcake know that his partner, Hunter Hearst Helmsely, was standing right behind him in the doorway, listening to every word.

Helmsley (Laughing)" Is that from who I think it was? Man, I thought you were done with that stuff! Ever since you lost that looser, your career has gone uphill!! When you were with him, it was all about him! Now, look..where we are -- Former Smokey Mountain Tag Team Champions for over a year!! (During 1993-94..right when The WWF purchased Jim Cornette's SMW, they used his tag team titles...until everyone eventually just forgot about them) You are now apart of The Hart Foundation...the orgin of many great WWF Superstars past and present--Jim Neidhart, Dino Bravo, Bret Hart, Greg Valentine--Man...I don't know whats going on with you...but you'd better shape up, 'Barber'. "

Very innovative Segment here. I like how they've alluded that the letter came from Hulk Hogan, but never actually said it--knowing that Hogan is on a long term contract with WCW. Even the announcers kept teasing that it was from Hogan--which is what they want people to believe--but they did so enough to not give anyone any thought that Hogan would be coming to the WWF. Scene ended with Helmsely laughing, walking out saying; "Man..wait until I tell Jimmy [Hart] about this..."

[ANGLE-SOON TO TURN WORKER SUSPECTED] 72%

Brutus Beefcake lost overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

The Lightning Kid d. The Dark Patriot - GWF Lightweight Title

Gilbert & Lightning Kid were great during this match, as they have a history of fighting each other back to the days of the GWF. Bret Hart was at ringside for this match, and knocked out Pritchard when he tried to intefere in the match. Kid won with his lightning kick at 12:33. After the match, Bret Hart's music played...where Bob Backlund & Owen Hart then came out from curtain...

Overall: 75

Crowd: 85

Match: 82

- Owen Brags about his LLX Attack On Bret -

Bob Backlund stood on the isleway with Owen Hart, and said that his favourite part of LLX happened right at the very end...They then show the end of LLX where Owen hit Bret Hart in the head with the chair, during his slugfest with Corino in the LLX Non-Sanctioned match. Backlund then went on to say that The Lightning Kid wasn't good enough to be the 'next Hitman', and that Owen Hart, was going to win the Kind Of The Ring, and prove to be the greatest Hart ever. Bret Hart said that he saw alot of talent in the Lightning Kid, but didn't think of him as a subsitute for Owen--Backlund then overtalked Bret, talking about how The Lightning Kid made his hair to look just like Bret's, long and black. Bret said that, it was the Kid's natural hair, and that Backlund was trying to live out his failures as a wrestler through young naive wrestlers like Owen Hart. He added that he had enough of Backlund's mouth, then proceeded to chase them into the back...It's nice that they showed the footage of Owen attacking his brother, but Owen did little talking, and Backlund got the verbal victory over Bret in this segment. 80%

Owen Hart lost overness from this segment. Bret Hart lost overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

Sabu d. 'The Rock' Don Muraco - IC Title Match

I believe the question here is, 'why'? The Rock looses a match to Zeus, then gets a title shot? Wierd. Crowd was into Sabu, but got really quiet each time The Rock had offense. Easy win for Sabu winning at 7:44 with the triple jump moonsault. Rock doesn't even sell well, anymore.

Overall: 69

Crowd: 80

Match: 71

The WWF Intercontinental title has lost image.

-ADVERTS-

- "The Barber" Saves Perfect From Another Corino Attack -

Jerry 'The King' Lawler d. 'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig

Your basic Jerry Lawler match of today with constant stalling and working the crowd. But work the crowd well; they did. It's the ending of the match that had everyone talking...and here's the final call, as it happened by Joey Styles & James E. Cornette.

user posted imageuser posted image

Final Call By The Voice of the WWF, Joey Styles,

and colour commentator, James E. Cornette

Styles"...and Perfect's got the Perfect Plex on Lawler!! 1!!! 2!!! 3!!! 4!!! 5!!!"

Cornette" But look, Corino's got the ref distracted!"

Styles" Turn around ref!! Turn around!! And now...Perfect lets go of the pin, he goes over to Corino...The referee is trying to separate the two!"

Cornette" ....but now...Look at Lawler from behind with the WWF Title Belt! Corino snuck the belt in the ring! Oh My!! Ouch!! He just nailed Perfect with it! Lawler just caught Perfect in the back of the head with the belt! And the referee didn't see a thing!"

Styles" He was standing in between of Corino & Perfect!! Now, Jerry Lawler sets up Perfect...here it comes!! NO!!! The Piledriver!! 1...2...3..!! Jerry Lawler wins!!! I don't believe it!! The Kings' Court wins again!"

Cornette" I don't think their finished yet, Styles! Corino is now entering the ring. Lawler's picking Perfect back up. I think we're going to see a repeat of last night!"

**Suddenley, Brutus Beefcake, comes running down the isle...getting a huge pop, as he's in his total 'Barber' wear. He goes straight into the attack on Corino & Lawler.**

Cornette" WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!!?"

Styles" It's the Barber!! It's the Barber!! It's the Barber!! It's the Barber!! And he's taking out Corino & Lawler!! Go get'em Barber!!"

Cornette" He's got the sleeper hold on Corino!!"

Styles"...and now Perfect's back up and throws Corino outside of the ring!! Corino pulls Lawler out of the ring, to safety!! Oh My Gawd!! The Barber is back to his old self!! Listen to this crowd!!"

Cornette" Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake & 'Mr Perfect' Curt Hennig are standing in the ring, side by side!! But WHY? WHY? WHY?"

Styles (Beefcake gets a mic) "Well...I think we're about to find out right now. Lets here what Bruti has to say!"

Overall: 77

Crowd: 95

Match: 66

- Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake Explains His Actions -

Beefcake stands around the ring playing to the crowd who has burst into a loud 'Barber' chant. Perfect is on the other side of the ring, still recovering, not knowing what to make of this...But before Beefcake can talk..the cheers turn to jeers, when Beefcake's partner, Hunter Hearst Helmsely comes marching agrilly down to the ring with his manager Jimmy Hart...

Helmsley (Laughing)" Is it 1992 or something? Is this Beefcakemania or something? Why..haha..I don't beleive this! Look at you! Did those cheers get to you last week when you lost to the Undertaker? Did I miss something? Beefcake, what the hell are you doing?!? (Jimmy is yelling at Brutus through his Megaphone) I mean..c'mon! I know you got that letter from your 'friend till the end'...but geez!"

Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake

" Yaaa know something bruthaaa! (Crowd cheers loudly) I hear what your sayin' Hunter! I hear what your talking about! But I've got something I feel is more important right now, man!! You see, years ago, I had a friend, who was practically forced out of the WWF!! And why? Because at the time, everyone felt as though Jerry Lawler, was the true hero of the WWF!! Everyone put their trust into the good 'ol King! But then something happened! Something went wrong! And Lawler turned on the fans that made him, one of the most popular WWF Wrestlers ever! Not only did he turn his back on his fans, but he joined forces with one of the most hated Wrestlers in the WWF--WWF Champion Steve Corino!!!

[*He Turns to Mr. Perfect*]

I'm here to help you, Perfect! We've been through our tough times together, here in the WWF! We've collided forces, before--and I think I even gave ya a trim up before!! (Crowd cheers) But I've got alotta respect for ya brutha! And I see you've got the odds stacked up against ya with the Kings Court, brother! And together dude, we're gonna make things right, for the fans! I'm gonna help you dethrone Steve Corino & help ya take out the Kings Court of Garbage pal!! I'm gonna help you get that WWF Title!! And hey...maybe...but just mabye..I might be able to give those knuckleheads a little shape up! Mr. Perfect will be the next WWF World Champion...and the Barber is back!!!"

With that, Beefcake knocks out Hunter Hearst Helmsley & Jimmy Hart, then shakes hands with Mr. Perfect. They then play to the crowd for a short while, before going of the air. Raw came to an official close with Beefcake & Perfect doing the Beefcake strut back and forth in the ring, to a nutty crowd. 84%

Brutus Beefcake's turn was completed, and he is now a face. Brutus Beefcake gained overness from this turn.

user posted image

Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake has vowed to help

'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig dethrone the Kings Court

Commentary Aftermath

Cornette" I don't believe what I'm seeing, Styles! Two of the most well known WWF Wrestlers of all time, are joining forces to take down Steve Corino WWF Champion & Jerry 'The King' Lawler of The Kings Court!!"

Styles" That's right!! The odds are now a bit more even sided! Both Beefcake and Lawler will be at Worldwide!!"

Cornette" Head will Collide Joey, Heads will Collide!!"

Styles" Oh My Gawd!!!!"

Show Quality: 79%

Other Shows:

Head to Head, Monday Nitro - 7.83

Graveyard, ECA BattleZone/TNT - 3.95

Biggest Complaint: Long Opening segment

Behind The Scenes Issues: Shaggy 2 Dope showing up late; Bam Bam Bigelow confirmed with torn calf.

WWF Worldwide

--King Of The Ring; Round 1 Matches Continue!! Who will Go to the Pay Per View!!!--

*Jerry 'The King' Lawler vs. Carl P. Oulette

*The Undertaker vs. The Mountie 'Jacques Rougeau

*New Jack vs. The Great Kabuki

--Tag Team Title Match!!!

Team H vs. Demolition vs. The Cartel

--Plus Much Much More!!!

Edited by Javert

http://www.bracketmaker.com/scripts-bracke...u.cfm?tid=30336

June 21rd, 1997

Venue: Moxfurous Arena, Chicago IL

Attendance: 11034

Announcing Team: Sean Mooney & Special Guest Commentator, Violent J

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan

By

Dave Schmeltzer

New Jack d. The Great Kabuki KOTR

Well, Sean Mooney opened up Worldwide from the announcers booth, and said that Violent J invited himself to broadcast. The feeling within the company is that Ric Flair is not happy commentating, and probably won't be happy until 6 months time when he's fully healed and can return to the ring. New Jack beat Great Kabuki with a top rope headbutt at 9:33 of a slugfest, to advance to the PPV.

Overall: 65

Crowd: 59

- The Dark Carnival's First 'Victims Of The Carnage -

Right after the match, Violent J started screaming over Sean Mooney;

Uh..[bleep]-boy Mooney, we have a breaking situatition backstage!! It seems that the Dark Carnival has chosen their next victims!! First Road Warrior Hawk! Just recently Paul Roma!! Lately, Bam Bam Bigelow!! And now...oh my!! Holy [bleep]-suckers, IT'S DEMOLITION!!!"

With that, we got sent to the back where Undertaker, Papa Shango, & Shaggy 2 Dope were beating on Ax & Crush, with Ringmaster Jim Neidhart laughing hysterically looking on...Then, Undertaker went over to Neidhart, who was holding two bodybags. With that, they proceeded to wrap Ax & Crush in their own separate body guards before carrying them off camera. I guess Demolition got the pink slip along with Bam Bam (Fired after his recent injury [10 months], Paul Roma (same), and Road Warrior Hawk (fired just for being Road Warrior Hawk). 73%

-ADVERTS-

Papa Shango d. Tony Halme

Horrible match, workrate wise, but the crowd was really suprised to see Shango go over on Halme. In fact, I actually think this has been one of Shango's first matches in at least two months. Shango won with the shoulder breaker at 6:33. On what was easily the worst commentating team in the history of the WWF, Violent J kept saying that Tony Halme is being watched closely by the Dark Carnival. I'm sure many fans will supply the bodybag for this one.

Overall: 68

Crowd:75

Match: 52

Tony Halme lost overness from this match. Papa Shango gained overness from this match.

- The Rock Challenges Slick -

Eric Bischoff came out and introduced 'The Rock' Don Muraco. Rock came out yelling and screaming about how he wants Slick to fight for himself, and to stop hiding behind that 'beast', Zeus. Slick came out, and said that he'll be glad to fight The Rock one on one....The announcers teased that Slick, had to have a plan up his sleeve. My question is, did they think that The Rock's mic skills improved during his old age? 68%

Don Muraco lost overness from this segment.

'The Rock' Don Muraco d. Slick

Slick starting jumping around the ring, comedically, until a ref came, to start the match. After running around the ring, Zeus finally started to walk down the isle...but from right behind him came Flexx Kavanna, who tapped Zeus on the back, and threw powder in his face. Crowd popped huge, as Zeus wandered around the ramp blinded by the powder. Finally, Rock caught up with Slick, who had no where to go, and quickly nailed Slick with the power slam for the victory. Slick has wrestled three weeks in a row. And then the WWF wonders why the egos at the top get upset.

Overall: 51

Match: 35

-ADVERTS-

Team H d. Agent Leif Cassidy & Alex Wright - Non Title Match

Good match, in a match designed to get over the Tag Team Champions. They are doing a little storyline where Agent Lief Cassidy is 'scouting' for the next secret agent recruit. I guess Alex Wright failed...

Overall: 74

Crowd: 61

Match: 88

Agent Leif Cassidy lost overness from this match. Alex Wright lost overness from this match. Hayabusa gained overness from this match. Hakushi gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- The Carnival Tries For Another Victim -

Terry Taylor d. Brian Christopher

Taylor won with the knee drop at 8:33. After the match, The Undertaker came to the ring, with a bodybag in hand apparently going for Taylor...but Taylor hi-tailed it out of there in a hurry. On commentary Violent J acknowledged that their was a small alliance between Brian Christopher and The Dark Carnival..which is why he's always been untouched by the Carnival, despite finding himself in similiar paths. Violen J added, then added, 'If he wins the King Of The Ring, we get that [bleep] as President, Tammy! We need a man!! We need a Ringmaster in the WWF Presidency seat, mother [bleep]-er!"

Overall: 70

Crowd: 74

Brian Christopher lost overness from this match. Terry Taylor gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

The Undertaker d. Jacques 'Mountie' Rougeau KOTR

Undertaker did his sitting up spot each time Rougeau knocked him down. Undertaker seems to be much happier in his new role, as opposed to his previous role in the Pritchard Exchange. However, I'm sure Dark Patriot is not to happy, and to a lesser extent, Bruce Pritchard--about being downplayed ever since. Taker won with his tombstone at 11:43.

Overall: 83

Crowd: 90

Match: 69

- The Sandman's Pick for WWF President -

We goto the back where Eric Bischoff is standing backstage with The Sandman...Crowd pops instantly once the Sandman's image is shown on the big screen.

Bischoff" Sandman..in just a little over a week, live on Pay Per View, you will face--The Undertaker, in a quaterfinal King Of The Ring Match. Have you given any thought about who you will nominate for WWF President, should you wint the tournament?"

The Sandman" [*Drinks Beer*]...Um..What was the question? (Crowd laughs)"

Bischoff" It was...have you given thought---"

Sandman" Oh yeaa...WWF President, yea. [*Drinks Beer*]

Um...Mr. Fuji!" (Crowd starts laughing again)

Bischoff (Laughing)" Sandman are you drun--well..er..Seriously. Have you given any thought?"

Sandman" [*Drinks Beer*]. MMmmm, good stuff. Yea, I'm serious! Mr. Fuji, former WWF Wrestler, manager of multiple champions--He managed many of the greats, Yokozuna, The original Demolition, George 'The Animal' Steele, former WWF Champion The Berzerker--before he started winning matches--, The Powers Of Pain, The Orient Express--NEED I SAY MORE!!!!?" (Crowd laughs and cheers)

Bischoff(Still laughing)" So...your telling me, that should you win the King Of The Ring, next week...Mr. Fuji will be the new WWF President??!"

Sandman" [*Chuggs Beer..then smashes it over head*]. Fuji!! Fuji!! Fuji!! Fuji!! Fuji!! Fuji!!"

Sandman continues chanting as he walks down the hall...81%

- Lawler And Beefcake Square Off-

Jerry Lawler d. Carl Oulette [color-blue]KOTR

Lawler took the match this time, for the KOTR--I guess this is his win back from loosing that RAW match to Oulette on the RAW after LLX. After the victory...Lawler called out Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake. After some stalling time, and insults at the fans from Lawler, Beefcake's music hit to a huge pop. And out came Beefcake...sheers in hand...

Overall: 85

Crowd: 92

Match: 69

Jerry 'The King' Lawler

"Brutus THE BARBER Beefcake! Did someone call Titan Towers and say they needed a haircut..?..because I sure didn't. (Crowd boos). Beefcake let me tell you something...who was it that nearly lost his son to the Million Dollar Man??

*Referance; Feud 1993-94 vs. Million Dollar Man introducing Brian Christopher into the WWF as the Million Dollar Kid.*

Who was it that saved the WWF from Antonio Inoki & James E. Cornette taking control of the WWF Presidencey?

*Referance; Feud 1994-95..The WWF's first real push of Japanese Wrestling/Wreslers...with James E. Cornette bringing in 'his pick for WWF President--Heel Antonio Inoki..leading to a Lawler vs. Inoki Wrestlmania Showdown...keeping the WWF Presidency to Joel Gertner? (Face)*

Who was it that led the Mega Powers to fight the forces of The Cartel????

*Referance; Feud 1995-96. MegaPowers: Lawler, Hogan, Savage, The Rock vs. The Cartel: James Cornette & and a smaller version of PRIDE, Paulie Dangerously & Sabu, and Bruce Pritchard with The Berzerker*

I'll tell you...it was me!!! The King! The Memphis great! And what did I get for it? Nothing!! You're looking at a WWF Great--who's never held the WWF World Title!!! That's right! All of those blood, sweat, and tears for NOTHING!! NOTHING!! For these morons!! But you know what Beefcake...I'm over that now!! Because, ya see--I realise that I don't need a title, or the cheers of these stupid fans anymore to get what I want--why? BECAUSE I'M THE KING!!! But you see, Beefcake...you haven't gotten over it!! That's right...because just like me, you've never held that World Title either! That's right, I'm exposing the Barber!! The only reason why you're 'helping' Mr. Perfect, is because you want to weasal your way into the WWF Title picture!! Hahaha!! That's right! You don't care about Mr. Perfect!! All you care about is Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake!!

**Crowd is booing Lawler. Beefcake yanks the mic out of Lawler's hand to a thunderous ovation...**

Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake

" Let me tell ya something, BURRRGERRRR KINGGG!!! You may think ya have all the answers...but ya don't brutthaaah!! You see, because, it's not about me!! It's not about the Barber!! It's about the fans!! And it's about you, brothaaa, thinking that you deserve something in return from the great WWF Fans!!! But ya don't!! Ya don't deserve 'nothin bruthaa, and neither do I! I do it for the fans--for the love of wrestling--(Starts staring erotically at his Sheers)-and for another love of mine...CUTTING UP HAIR!!!! (Crowd cheers) Lawler...one day...The Barber and The King are aH-gonna meet in the ring...one on one...and when we do...I can guarantee that when it's all said and done...and the smoke is cleared...one of us will be...A KING...and the other....WILL...BE....BALD.....!!!"

99%

Incredible heat. Simply Incredible. I've never seen a Worldwide crowd buzz as much as they did, during this segment. The show went off the air, with Beefcake & Lawler staring each other down to a loud 'Barber' chant, which at times, broke into a 'Burger King' chant....

Commentary Aftermath

Mooney" Listen to this crowd, wrestling fans! Wow!"

Violent J" These people are going insane, like their at an Insane Clown Posse concert, or something!"

Mooney" Can The Barber cut the King down to size? "

Show Quality: 70%

Other Shows:

Early Evening, WCW Saturday Night - 7.32

Biggest Complaint: The combined Broadcasting Team Of Sean Mooney & Violen J

Behind The Scenes Issues:

Bam Bam Bigelow fired after he showed up with crutches.

Ax & Crush, officially fired.

Violent J got in a fight right before the show with Ric Flair.

Raw Preview!!

--Lawler, Beefcake, Perfect, will be all in the same building!!

--KOTR ROUND 1 MATCH!

*Owen Hart vs. Terry Taylor

--Zeus & 'The Doctor Of Style' Slick

vs.

'The Rock' Don Muraco & Flexx Kavanna

-New Jack vs. Mr. Bob Backlund

-Plus PRIDE will be in full Force, T.R.A.S.H, Bret Hart, and much more!!!

I've been playing EWR for years, and I check the boards pretty constantly, though I've only ever attempted two diaries and they failed miserably.

My problem is, I play efeds, and all of my good ideas go there, rather than to EWR.

Anyhow, your diary's are about the only ones I ever take the time to look up.

Justin

-cheers

Wow. Glad you had that fieldy. You rock. I lost that link.

Mysti rocks :wub:

Wow, it's Paul Heyman's first appearance there, along with the formation of THE CARTEL. Which doubles over as a clique/ish beyond the scenes storylines.

From THAT point on, those ppl ran the show, both on and off screen.

Updated KOTR Brackets

user posted image

June 23th, 1997

Monday Night Raw-

Venue: VDM Centre A, Anaheim - CA

By

Dave Schmeltzer

Violent J d. Officer Knobbs

Raw started off with Violent J & Officer Knobbs already in the ring, about to wrestle. Looks like they wanted make up for their 25 minute non wrestling segment opener last week. Violent J won with the goulentine(sp) leg drop off the top rope in 7:33.

Crowd: 75

Match: 48

- President Paulie Layes Down The Law, during his final RAW as President -

President Paulie Dangerously was once again introduced by Gerald Brisco & Pat Patterson. Dangerously said that, his tenure was fun and productive, but that he was going to still continue to be President all the way up to his very last day (next Worlwide). He said that tonight, he wanted to end 'this nonsense between The Rock, Flexx Kavanna, Zeus & Slick', and tonight they would go against each other in a tag team match. Crowd popped huge for that. He was then interrupted by The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase, who was accompanied by Johnny Ace & Mike Barton. Paulie said that he was happy that Dibiase dropped by, as he had great news for them. Since, Ace & Barton had been having a problem with Kamala's return, along with sharing PRIDE'S grugde against Tony Halme--Dangerously has set a tag team match up between the four men. Dibiase was having a fit...but Dangerously wasn't finished. He added that he has been watching the last few weeks of encounters between T.R.A.S.H (The Real American Sanitiation Homeboys--Road Dogg & Duke The Dumpster), and The 'EnForcers of PRIDE, The Great Kabuki & The Gladiator Mike Awesome..., and as a result he has made a tag match with those four as well. Paulie then wished Dibiase a sarcastic 'good luck, tonight', as he left with Patterson & Brisco right behind him. Dangerously looked really good in this segment. Dibiase was livid, yelling; 'When I'm President...You'll pay for this!! You'll pay for everything!!'

96%

Paulie Dangerously gained overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS; Debuted a new Dodge Commercial w/ Brutus Beefcake-

New Jack d. Mr. Bob Backlund

New Jack seems to be getting quite the push here lately. He faces, Jerry Lawler at the Pay Per View...James Cornette had a funny line about if New Jack wins the KOTR tournament;

'If He wins the Tournament, Styles, who's would he nominate--Mike Tyson?!

Styles replied; 'Who's that?. New Jack won with the top rope headbutt after Backlund missed a top rope dropkick.

Overall: 64

Crowd: 73

Match: 70

New Jack gained overness from this match.

- T.R.A.S.H Collides With The PRIDE Enforcers -

We goto the back where Dibiase is looking over some of President Paulie's rules and regulations... He laughs, then says, when he's President, he'll have a whole new set of rules. He rips up the paper and throws the pieces on the floor...then here's the voice of Duke 'The Dumpster' Droese.."Littering's a crime, Dibiase..You should know that...with all of your money and all..

Dibiase looks back to see T.R.A.S.H, looking back at him.

Dibiase" Oh Hey, 'Homeboys!!!' Mwhahahaa!! Well, if you poor garbage workers don't like that...then you won't like this!!!"

**With that, The Great Kabuki spits green mist onto the shreds of paper on the floor, creating a small green puddle on the floor. He then did it again on the walls of the corridor. Gladiator then picks up a garbage can nearby and throws it upside down, emptying all of the garbage right in front of T.R.A.S.H. Dibiase laughs, then proceeds to the ring.

Dibiase" Hahahahaha!!! See you in the ring guys...after your cleaning is done--HAHAHAHAAHAHAA!!!!"

92%

The Great Kabuki gained overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

The Great Kabuki & The Gladiator d. T.R.A.SH.

Good match here..these four tried to build importance in the match with their heavy use of weapons--well actually just garbage cans & lids. Kabuki and Awesome were nailing Road Dogg & Droese really hard with the can shots. The referee was about to call for a DQ during a number of occassions, but Dibiase kept hopping on the apron and flashing 100 dollar bills at the ref, Joey Marella. Final moments came when--after Armstrong was taken' out, Gladiator & Kabuki nailed Droese hard with a double lid shot to the head, which knocked him out cold. Dibiase hopped in the ring, and paid Kabuki & Gladiator for the victory, before locking on the Million Dollar Dream, on Droese, for good measure. Styles kept yelling; 'Is this who we want as our President!!?'

Match: 73

The Great Kabuki gained overness from this feud ending. The Gladiator gained overness from this feud ending. Duke Droese gained overness from this feud ending. Brian Armstrong gained overness from this feud ending.

-ADVERTS-

- Bret Hart; aiming to be the WWF's First Grand Slam Champion -

Coming out of the break, Bret 'The Hitman' Hart's music hit, as he came to the ring to a thunderous ovation. Despite being unintentionally buried ever since Wrestlemania, Bret Hart's managed to stay more over then other superstars who have had similiar happen to them. Hitman had a microphone in his hand, and had to wait for a 3 minute applause & ovation stop before he could begin.

Bret Hart

"Thank you...thank you...The Hitma is still here!!! Standing strong!! (Crowd cheers) You know..alot has happened to me over during the year. The Dark Patriot, tries to play mind games with me in the beginning of the year, so that he can take away MY, World title! Steve Corino uses his mind games to his advantage..pretending to be the Dark Patriot, winning the WWF Title. And from there...it's been hell. Corino uses my own brother to help him keep the title. My own brother assaults me with a chair! And, now I've got Bob Backlund accusing me of trying to replace Owen Hart with the Lightning Kid, as a brother...well Backlund...I'm sorry if I have something, called 'friends', in that locker rooom! Something that you and Owen don't have!

*As Bret Was talking, they flashbacked the events that he spoke about on the Titan Tron.*

Ok, well that's all about to change!! And next weekend, at King Of The Ring...Owen..you want to compete with me? If you get by Taylor, later tonight, you'll be there...but I'll be doing something better, achieving grand slam title status!! That's right...I'm challenging PRIDE's GWF Champion to a title match!! That's right...Hitman-Hansen live at the King Of The Ring!!! I've held the WWF Tag Team Titles, I've held the IC Title...The WWF World title...and next week, I'm going for the Grand Slam!! Hansen, that GWF Title is mine!!"

**Suddenly, Stan Hansen comes out, bullrope in hand, charging the ring as he talks...**

Stan Hansen

"Bret you lil' pretty boy! Before PRIDE came to the WWF you paraded here with your legion of fans, all cheering for your little sharpshooter move where ya bend the legs. Well....you ain't never got in the ring with someone that hits as hard as me, 'boy! Ya see, I don't bend...I BREAK!!"

Hanson continued galloping into the ring, and stood up to Bret, swinging his bullrope wildley. Road Agents & Refs hit the ring in a heartbeat, separating the two. 81%

Bret Hart lost overness from this segment.

-ADVERTS-

- Zeus Destroys All -

Slick & Zeus d. The Rock Don Muraco & Flex Kavanna

This was almost a jobber match. Slick, although he was wearing workout gear was in the match for all of 60 seconds--consisting of an eye poke on Kavanna. Zeus got in there, and completely no sold everything Kavanna did. After Kavanna could not phase the monster, he tagged out to The Rock who tried to take Zeus down with clothesline after clothesline...but Zeus just stood strong, staring him down. The fourth time, Zeus charged an oncoming Rock with a stiff clothesline of his own, sending Rock down. Rock tried to pull himself up, but Zeus gave him some nasty looking kicks to the head, followed by a bear hug. Kavanna tried hitting Zeus whilst he had the bearhug on Rock, but, to no effect--Rock submitted at 5:33. Zeus kept the hold on, as Slick jumped around in excitement watching Rock scream in pain. After a brief commercial break, Zeus, who still had the hold on, finally let go, as Slick yelled on the way to the back, 'That's right Dadddy!!!!! I'm YO' next WWF Prezzzeeeedeeennnnttttt...that's to DIS MAN'...ZEUS!!!!'

Overall: 56

Crowd: 72

Match: 45

Zeus gained overness from this feud ending. Slick gained overness from this feud ending. Don Muraco gained overness from this feud ending. Flex Kavanna gained overness from this feud ending.

Owen Hart d. Terry Taylor KOTR

Not too much of a suprise here. Owen for the first time, used The Sharpshooter to defeat Taylor at 7:59.

OVerall: 69

Crowd: 82

-ADVERTS-

- Dibiase puts his Money on his remaing KOTR Representative-

Mike Barton & Johnny Ace d. Tony Halme & Kamala

I think they've been place Barton with Ace, in this little 3 week rivarly with Halme & Kamala to get him a bit more over since they have him in the KOTR Tournament. Personally, I would've went with Tenzan...but he's involved in the I-C title scene, chasing Sabu. Match came to a close when Johnny Ace got the Ace Crusher on Tony Halme at 12:33 of a match that really dragged on. After the match is what the announcers were really pushing hard, as Dibiase abusing his Money. After victory Dibiase & Ace kept yelling at Barton to give Halme his dreaded left hook punch. At first Barton refused, citing that Halme was already hurt from the Ace Crusher...but Dibiase then flashed a few 100 dollar bills in front of...which persuaded Barton to knock Halme out with the left hook. After that, Dibiase yelled at Barton, which was completely audible on TV;

"You've got to win this tournament! For me! And for you! When you left that goon Leif Cassidy, you left him because you were serious about your career!! You're better then him! Your an athlete! Think about what this tournament will do for your career!! Think about what it will do for PRIDE!! Now, give Kamala the knockout punch!!"

And with that, Barton, with a bit more intensity, knocked out Kamala with the knockout punch. Dibiase then gave Barton some money, which he held up to the booing crowd.

Overall: 58

Crowd: 70

Match: 56

Mike Barton gained overness from this feud ending. Johnny Ace gained overness from this feud ending. Tony Halme gained overness from this feud ending. Kamala gained overness from this feud ending.

-ADVERTS-

- The 'Kings' Challenges Perfect & Beefcake -

Returning off break the WWF showed the weekend's show down between Brutus & Lawler...Jerry Lawler, along with Jeff Jarrett came to the ring, and started running down Beefcake. At that point, Beefcake came out, and said that he and 'a friend' would wrestle Jarrett & Lawler right there in the ring. With that, Barber yelled into the mic...

"Ladies and Gentlemen...The Barber's partner...and the next WWF World Champion after King Of The Ring--Mr. Perfect!!!!"

Perfect came out to a huge pop, then led the charge to the ring.... 84%

Jerry Lawler lost overness from this segment.

- The Action Gets Too Crazy -

Mr. Perfect & Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake DDQ Jerry 'The King' Lawler & 'World Class Superstar' Jeff Jarrett

Alot of your basic face vs. heel spots, since there's only so much of matwork that Lawler & Beefcake can do. Biggest pop came when, outside the ring, Jarrett through Beefcake's head into the apron, but Beefcake no-sold it, and started hammering away on Jarrett before throwing him back into the ring, to Perfect. Shane McMahon was reffing...so the ref bump came at 9:33 when Mr. Perfect went for a running dropkick, but Lawler kinda pulled McMahon in front of him, causing him to be hit with the dropkick instead. Steve Corino made his way to the ring, and tried to get involved...but was promptly taken out by Mr. Perfect. A few minutes later, Lawler, went into his booth, unveiling a chain...He wrapped it around his knuckles ready to take out Beefcake, but Beefcake fought back, dodging Lawler's punch and nailing Lawler with some week looking body jabs. Here, Mr. Perfect grabbed a chair from the outside and leveled Jarrett & Corino outside the ring. He then through the chair in the ring to Beefcake. At this point...referee Shane McMahon got up...and the first thing he saw was Brutus Beefcake holding a chair, squaring off against Lawler, with his hand wrapped in a chain. McMahon 'had no choice' but to disqualify both teams. Officials hit the ring, standing in between Lawler & Beefcake in the ring, and between Perfect & Lawler on the outside...

Overall: 74

Crowd: 92

Commentary Aftermath

Styles" Oh my Gawd!! It's Beefcake-Lawler, Perfect-Corino!!! It's gonna explode, right here on RAW!!!"

Cornette" Officials are all over the ring separting these men, Styles--it's crazy!!"

Styles" We are now a little under a week away from King Of The Ring!! Who will win the Tournament!!"

Cornette" Who will be our next President!!?"

Styles" King Of The Ring Weekend...is next!"

Show Quality: 72

Other Shows: Head to Head, Monday Nitro - 7.83

Biggest Complaint: Violent J vs. Officer Brian Knobbs

Behind The Scenes Issues:

WWF Worldwide Preview--KOTR WEEKEND!!!!

--President Paulie Dangerously's final Night as WWF President!

--KOTR FINAL MATCH OF ROUND 1

The Lightning Kid vs. Zeus

--The Sandman vs. Barry Horowitz (on half of the Cartel)

--Plus in The Main Event

The Dark Carnival (The Undertaker & Insane Clown Posse)

vs.

'The Mountie' Jacques Rougeau, Carl P. Oulette, & 'Finnish Nightmare' Tony Halme

user posted image

June 28rd, 1997

Venue: The Elstand Colliseum, Pitsburgh, PA

Attendance: 12094

Announcing Team: Sean Mooney & Special Guest Commentator, Ted Dibiase

Referee Team: Bill Alfonso, Mike Chioda, Shane McMahon, Earl Hebner, Charles Robinson, Jim Mollineaux, John Finnegan, Dave Hebner

By

Dave Schmeltzer

- Ted Dibiase Forces His Way On WWF WorldWide -

Worldwide opened up with Sean Mooney opening up the show, wondering who this week's special colour commentator was going to be. Suddenly, The Million Dollar Man's music hit, and out came Ted Dibiase joined with Mike Barton. Sean Mooney, apparently watching old IWF tapes, called Barton, Bart Gunn. He hasn't been called that in years. Good job Mooney. Dibiase put on a headset and started yelling and screaming about how Mike Barton was going to literally knock everyone out tommorow night at the King Of The Ring Tournament. Sean Mooney, started getting impatient and interrupted Dibiase, letting him know that Konnan was waiting in the ring for his first match...This infuriated Dibiase; "Konnan!? Konnan?! Are you kidding me!! And, after tommorow night, when I'm in charge, Mooney, you'll learn never to question me again!! As for Konnan? Mwhahaha!! Let's show him who runs the show around here! Barton!! Go show'em what you're going to do tommorow night!! Mwahahaha!!!"

Sean Mooney as always looked like such a stick figure here. He did such a bad job of pretending to be afraid of Barton it was kind of embarrassing. Dibiase, yelling at Mooney was classic, though. 90%

Mike Barton gained overness from this segment.

Mike Barton d. Konnan

Barton was all over Konnan here. Konnan tried to fight back, but Barton was 'too tough'. Dibiase on commentary did a good job of pushing Barton as a generally tough guy. Mooney must've called Barton, Billy Gunn three more times during this match alone. Barton nailed Konnan with the left hook at 9:33. After the match, Barton stood in the ring, jumping in place yelling for someone to come out of the back to fight him. The referee kept yelling at Barton to leave the ring, into the first advert break.

Overall: 76

Crowd: 79

Konnan lost overness from this match. Mike Barton gained overness from this match.

-ADVERTS-

- President Paulie Restores Order To Worlwide -

We return off break, to see Barton still jumping in place while Dibiase continued to praise Barton on commentary. Finally, President Paulie Dangerously approaches the broadcast booth and yells at Dibiase to get Barton to leave the ring. They yell at each other going back and forth for a while, before Gerald Brisco comes out with a microphone that he hands to Paulie...

Dangerously" Dibiase!!! It seems that you, Anvil, Slick--its seems that you all keep forgetting that I'M STILL PRESIDENT!!! And I'm ORDERING YOU to get Barton out of the ring right now, so that MY show can continue!! If you don't...then as President of the World WRestling Federation, I will force Mr. Knockout punch man, Mike Barton to forfeit his spot in the King Of The Ring Tournament!!!! And that's final!!"

The crowd burst into a cheer as President Paulie through the microphone down and returned to the back. After some delay, Dibiase went to the ring, and raised Barton's hand, before returning to the back to some hefty booes. 89%

-ADVERTS-

- Jesse 'The Body' Catches The Sandman on his way to the Ring -

Barry Horowitz was waiting for The Sandman in the ring, but on his way through the curtain, The Sandman was stopped by Jesse 'The Body' Ventura...

Ventura" Sandman, Sandman! I heard your comments from last week's Worldwide...surely you can't be serious about your pick for WWF President!! Mr.Fuji!?"

Sandman (While Walking)" [*Drinks Beer*] Yo!!!! Jesseee!!!! How would you like to see the return of the Orient Express?!"

Ventura" I wouldn't!"

Sandman" The Powers of Pain!?"

Ventura" No!!!"

Sandman" Yokozuna!"

Ventura" Give me a break!"

Sandman" [*Drinks Beer*] Exactly! Now, there's one person who would be welcomed with open arms from all parts of the WWF!"

Ventura" Who? George 'The Animal' Steele? Smash? The Berzerker--before he started winning matches..as you say?"

Sandman"[*Chuggs Beer*]No..not them!!! MR. FUJI!!!! YeaaaAAA!!!! Fuji!! Fuji!! Fuji!!! Fuji!!!"

Ventura" What a drunken fool! Back to you Mooney!"

83%

The Sandman d. Barry Horowitz

The crowd is incredibly into the Sandman. They even started a 'Fuji' chant which lasted for most of the match. There were even many 'Fuji For President' signs. I could just imagine Mr. Fuji ordering Steve Corino out of his office. And with Russo & Dillon in charge, I would've be suprised if Fuji is 'the one'. Sandman won with his delayed piledriver at 10:02.

Overall: 79

Crowd: 83

- Dibiase Offers The Easy Way Out For Rougeau -

Stan Hansen against Ray Rougeau was next...Before the match officially got underway, Dibiase took the mic, and made an 'offer' to Rougeau...

Dibiase" Rougeau!! I like you!! So I'm going to give you an easy way out!! You see...Stan Hansen is more than a champion! He's a legendary champion!! You see, Rougeau, while Stan Hansen's been taking down guys like Terry Gordy, & Dr. Death Steve Williams...you've been wrestling Bumble-Bees and Bushwackers! Hahahahaha!!!! (Crowd booes this heavily) So Rougeau...(he starts pulling out money)...I'm going to make you an offer...that would be better of for you...-- "

Before Dibiase can finish his sentance, Rougeau slaps the money out of his hand and charges Hansen, to begin the match. Crowd popped huge for the money flying all over the ring. Dibiase also did a great job of building Hansen as a true veteran of the ring. 99%

Ted DiBiase gained overness from this segment. Stan Hansen gained overness from this segment.

Stan Hansen d. Raymond Rougeau

Hansen eventually starting no selling Rougeau's weak punches, and started nailing Rougeau with some forearms shot, that gave Rougeau a shiner on the head. Hansen caught him with the lariat about 5 minutes later.

Overall: 73

Crowd: 77

Match: 67

-ADVERTS-

- The Lightning Kid's Pick For WWF President -

Eric Bischoff was backstage with The Lightning Kid, who was getting set for his KOTR match against Zeus. Bischoff asked the kid who was his pick...if he were to get by Zeus. The Kid said that he didn't think that there was any way that he could get Zeus off of his feet. But should he get by Zeus he felt as though this was his time to show what he was made of. He then said, that out of respect for what he has done for the WWF, The Kid would re-appoint, President Paulie Dangerously, for introducing high flying and cutting edge action to the WWF. The crowd popped huge for this. There had been some talk of Dangerously putting together a highlying stable with Kid, Sabu, and a few others. Of Kid wins, then this could be the result. 72%

- Zeus Proves to be 'uncontrollable' -

The Kid d. Zeus by DQ

To save Zeus from loosing heat, the WWF was very careful with the way this match went down, since they seem to have some plans for Zeus in the future. The Kid hopped around the ring trying to get Zeus down, but the size difference was rather rediculous. Zeus manhandled the Kid from the very beginning, yanking him into the turnbuckle, and then choking him.Zeus kept the chokehold on the kid for over the 5 seconds and beyond as referee Shane McMahon tried to pulled Zeus off of the kid. Finally, after he could not get Zeus to relinquish the hold, the referee called for the bell, disqualifying Zeus. After the match, The Kid crawled out of the ring, and too the back, holding his hand up. He knew he got lucky. Zeus and Slick went after the ref, but Shane McMahon retreated over the top rope and to the outside. Shane McMahon is the only referee that can leap over the ropes, I guess. The crowd was really behind the Kid.

Overall: 79

Crowd: 83

-ADVERTS-

The Dark Carnival (The Undertaker, Violent J, & Shaggy 2 Dope) d. The Mountie & Carl Pierre Oulette, Finnish Nightmare Tony Halme

Announcer pushed that this could be Halme's final match since he was being 'watched' by the Dark Carnival. This match saw The Posse basically hide behind The Undertaker for most of the match. Final moments saw The Undertaker pin Halme after the Tombstone. I guess it's safe to say, that Halme has become the Finnish 'Hacksaw Jim Duggan' of 1997. Ringmaster Jim Neidhart teased the Bodybag spot, but for some 'reason' Papa Shango told him to 'wait'...Ringmaster Jim Neidhart then grabbed the microphone and yelled; "The day is almost here!!! The next phase of the exodus!! The next phast of The Dark Carnival's plan!!! When The Ringmaster is in control!! When the Dark Carnival chooses the fate of it's inhabitants!! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Prepare for a Carnival Of Carnage!!! Hahahaha!!! Hahahaha!!! Hahahaha!!! Hahahaha! Hahahahah!!"

Overall: 78

Crowd: 85

Match: 64

- Dibiase Ruins Paulie's Goodbye -

Coming off the break, Vince McMahon was in the ring, and on behalf of the fans re-introduced Paulie Dangerously, for the last time as WWF President. At this point, Sean Mooney left the broadcast booth to join the entire staff backstage in watching this historical and emotional moment in WWF history. President Paulie Dangerously got a huge reaction. Paulie thanked the fans, for the last year of allowing him to bring forth new ideas to the WWF.Suddenly, the Japanese National Anthem started to play. The crowd instantly started to look to the curtain expecting PRIDE, but instead, coming from underneath the ring, behind Paulie was The Great Kabuki. The crowd was going nuts, until finally Paulie turned around, into a burst of green mist from Kabuki. At this point, officials poured into the ring--the entire referee squad, in addition to Road Agents, Gerlad Brisco, Pat Patterson, Tony Garea, Jack Lanza, & Ole Anderson. Vince Russo & JJ Dillon also came out during this segment, in a rare TV appearance. At this point, Dibiase had the rest of PRIDE, run down the isle into the ring joining in on the attack on Dangerously and the officials. Awesome must've powerbombed every single referee twice. Sabu hit the ring for a save, but was quickly taken out by, Tenzan, Akiyama, & Johnny Ace. Hansen was nailing official after official with the Lariat. Dibiase, now walking into the ring yelled;

"Give'em to Barton!! Give'em To Barton!!

and with that, Ace, Hayabusa, & Hansen, fed each official to Mike Barton, as he knocked them out with his left hook...Dibiase, who simply has to be taking managing lessons from Blassie, was going nuts on the mic, as Worldwide went off the air, waiving his money in the air...

Dibiase"...Hahahahaa!! That's right!! Get'em Barton!! (At that point, he knocked out Patterson, while the other continued to give the boots to Paulie Danerously) Hahaha!! That's right!! I told you everyone's gotta price, for the Million Dollar Man!! And tommorow night...my money is going to get Mike Barton the King Of The Ring Tournament win...and me..The WWF Presidencey!! That's right!!! After tommorow, the WWF will be run with honour--No...Even better, it will be run...BY PRIDE!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Hahahahaa!!" 73%

[sTABLE ATTACKS COMMISIONER]

Commentary Aftermath

There was no one on Commentary. So WWF Worldwide went off the air, with Dibiase laughing, as all of PRIDE continued to clear the ring of WWF Officials as debris started to fill up the ring.

Show Quality: 76%

Other Shows: Early Evening, WCW Saturday Night - 7.57

Biggest Complaint: Sean Mooney's Announcing

Behind The Scenes Issues: Shaggy 2 Dope got in another fight backstage.

KOTR IS NEXT!!!!!

Edited by Javert