Where's Alan Smith going today?

Thursday 20th May 2004

Everton are reportedly set to join the race to sign Leeds United's in-demand England international striker Alan Smith by making a £7 million offer.

The Whites rejected two bids from Manchester United earlier this week although Old Trafford is still reportedly the hit-man's favoured destination, according to agent Alex Black.

Liverpool have also been mentioned as possible suitors for Smith, following Emile Heskey's exit to Birmingham City on Tuesday, to join the likes of Michael Owen and summer import Djibril Cisse.

Everton have suffered a massively disappointing campaign at Goodison Park, although manager David Moyes is keen to turn things around by targeting one of the country's best strikers.

Moyes has the likes of Wayne Rooney, Kevin Campbell, Duncan Ferguson and Tomasz Radzinski at his disposal, although the Canadian has just 12 months on his existing deal.

The Scot has consistently denied the club would cash in on Rooney to fund summer's rebuilding plans and it now appears he wants an all England strike force.

Leeds have moved swiftly to deny a bid from the Merseyside club had indeed been received, with a club spokesman saying: "We have not yet received any offer from Everton."

Although Smith has been praised for an excellent season with Leeds, he missed out on England's Euro 2004 squad and has been forced to leave his beloved club following relegation.

That's from Sky Sports.

Although were Everton got £7 milliom from, I don't know. I can't see him coming to Everton, but I'm suprised Newcastle haven't come in for him. He'd be a good replacement for Shearer.

I very much doubt Smith would go to Everton. Once Man U get round to offering a fair amount then he should be Old Trafford bound.

I agree, but don't ignore the David Moyes factor. The man is so ambitious, and so able to communicate that, that he could convince nearly anyone that Everton was the place to be. Everything Moyes has said recently has been an indication of his ambition.

But the cynic in me says this is just another attempt by the Everton board to win the fans over with token gestures.

If he goes to Liverpool how will he understand Gerrard?

"Owight lads, come on lits git 'em"

Yeah, Scouse is a language of its own.

However he's off to Man U, Man U are just "playing" at the moment, they're seeing how low they can get him for.

If he goes to Liverpool how will he understand Gerrard?

"Owight lads, come on lits git 'em"

Yeah, Scouse is a language of its own.

It's better than Geordie.

And you do know that Gerrard is Scouse, not Brummie or Cockney, don't you?

Edited by evertonfan

I don't really want to see him at ManU. United have the money to buy a big name striker, and more talented. If only thier offers for Torres would be accepted.

Granted he isn't the best player in the world but he doesn't get the best service in the world. If he was at Man U i'm sure he would be racking the goals up.

Someone didn't learn how to pronounce printed words, I presume.

Course not, I'm from Liverpool. Kidda.

And David Moyes has confirmed that he wants Joe Cole on loan, because the Everton board are to tight arsed to shell out for him permanantly. Okay, I added that last bit.