Late Late Show News

Big Red Fury

NEW YORK - "The Late Late Show" is asking four guest hosts to stay a little longer. Actors Craig Ferguson and Michael Ian Black, comedian D.L. Hughley and MTV "Total Request Live" host Damien Fahey have been invited back for one-week tryouts as host of the CBS late-night talk show, which is searching for a replacement for Craig Kilborn.

Ferguson is up first, starting next week, followed by Hughley, Fahey and Black.

Fahey will have to make the quickest impression. He drew Thanksgiving week, when there will be only three shows.

The talk show, which follows the "Late Show With David Letterman," is produced by Letterman's company, Worldwide Pants.

Tom Keaney, spokesman for Worldwide Pants, said the four semifinalists were among the 20 people who filled in on the show this fall.

Worldwide Pants hopes to announce its selection next month, Keaney said Thursday.

Kilborn left at the end of August, saying he wanted to pursue writing and producing other TV projects. His decision to leave the talk show after five years caught the network by surprise.

Erm, could someone please tell me the appeal of Michael Ian Black? His jokes on the VH1 shows have about a 20% chance of actually being funny.

This comic kind of sums up what I think of Michael Ian Black.

I liked Mo Rocca on the first I Love the 80's and I Love the 70's. I liked him a bit less in 80's Strikes Back.

For some reason he's kept declining in funny ever since leaving the Daily Show.

Michael Ian Black is the. no pun intended, black hole of those programs, though.