Suggest Me Some Music

Gabriel

Guest Bluesman

I have a lot of friends who used to listen to Good Charlotte, but now won't even listen to the songs that they really loved, just because it seems to be the cool thing to do to hate on them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone mocking his taste in music, I suggest you at least revoke your statement concerning Soundgarden.

I can and will persecute the non-believers.

2 questions "The"

Which was the first band I reccomended him?

Am I cool now midgie :wub: ?

Note:Alice In Chains > Soundgarden

Oh, don't get me wrong. I believe Chris Cornell is the best thing that has ocurred to music.

But Soundgarden seemed to be Chris Cornell & Company. Alice In Chains had such an amazing feeling with the 4 of them. Layne Staley & Jerry Cantrell had such a good chemistry (Voice-wise) together. Jerry Cantrell wasn't on the level of guitarists such as Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen or Eric Clapton, but he had such a great psychology for music. The riffs are great, are inspiring.... Jerry Cantrell was my inspiration for playing the guitar (Before I met Les Claypool...).

I don't know where I'm getting at. But everyone has their own taste on music. Soundgarden is near-perfection, but some albums seem to have quite a lot of filler on them, while Alice In Chains had an undiscovered treasure in every track of their albums.

If only Layne Staley and Chris Cornell would have gotten together on a song :wub:....

Tis a common misconception that SG was all about the Cornell, when in fact, all four guys commonly wrote the music and the lyrics. Believe me, although there were a lot of people calling Cornell the second coming of Robert Plant, there were quite a few drummers, bassists, and guitarists wondering just how a band could have worked with that kind of alternate tuning ("Mind Riot", for example, has every string tuned to E), odd fills and rhythms ("Jesus Christ Pose" on the drums and bass), and just a general sense of atmosphere ("Boot Camp", as well as most of "Down on the Upside").

Edited by The

But Soundgarden seemed to be Chris Cornell & Company.

Along with what Midget said, Cornell actually said in an interview that practically everyone tried to make them seem like he was the sexy cool frontman that ran the band, and that he just simply didn't fit that image. They tried to make Thayil out to be some crazy guitar genius, but same thing, he was just nothing like that.

"You know," Thayil says, "people always think of us as macho pigs. We play masculine music, really powerful rock. We rock without the long, pointless sections that go nowhere, the stupid guitar solos, the lipstick, and the codpieces. We are what we are, and I guess we're not especially interested in showing a sensitive female side. But I think one of the reasons we're considered so macho is because we're unavailable. Chris is especially sexual onstage, but after the show he doesn't belong to you, and I think people sense that. I think we may scare young women."

Quote from Spin Magazine '94. From the same article, leading on from what Midge said about the rhythms and such :

"But Superunknown is a very stoner-friendly record," says Cornell, "which is funny, because none of use really do drugs. If you listen to it straight, it's great, but if you get really stoned, it can seem that the whole thing was conceived for that state of mind. I can't explain why."

In short, Soundgarden rawk. I would have recommended Down On The Upside, but yeah, get Badmotorfinger. They're all excellent :P