Fight at the Palace

jonnycomelately

Detroit fans are not rowdy or any of the crap we've been hit with since Friday. First, it wasnt in Detroit. It was in Auburn Hills. A rich suburb thats about 45 minutes away from Detroit. Most of the people at the games are from Oakland and Macomb Counties. Neither county houses Detroit. We've had one bad incident in 20 years, when the Tigers won the World Series in 1984. Since then, the Pistons have won 3 NBA Titles and the Red Wings have won 3 Stanley Cups. Nothing. No riots or any crap like that. Ive been going to events here for years and nothing close to that has ever happened. This is one bad incident so you outsiders dont bring your rippin on Detroit bullshit without knowin the facts.

And Im sick of people ragging on Palace security. I go Pistons games all the time and Ive never any problems with them. You go through metal detectors to get in. And, are these people supposed to know that Artest was gonna charge into the crowd. The guards are usually in the aisle ways and not in the middle of the sections. Are they supposed to plan every night, "Well.....theres 1% chance a fucking lunatic might charge into the stands, so lets put armed guards in the seats."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluesman

So there were no problems with Detroit security? They couldn't have done a better job? And yes, they are supposed to plan for that sort of thing, that's what they are there to do, to prevent things like this from happening or to stop it before it escalates like it did.

Edited by Bluesman

Guest Bluesman

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN...

From ESPN.com:

"NBA Takes A Stand

Artest The NBA responded harshly to the fight Friday ESPN Motion in Detroit. Ron Artest will not play this year. Stephen Jackson will miss 30 games, Jermaine O'Neal 25, Ben Wallace six and Anthony Johnson five. Four others received one-game suspensions and fines."

Guest Bluesman

Just out of curiosity, what did Anthony Johnson do? And how did Tinsley not get suspended, considering he came back (after being in the locker room) and was swinging around the broom and dustpan?

Why is Reggie Miller suspended for a game...as far as I can see, he was trying to get Artest out of there?! Why is Wallace suspended for only 6 games after how he reacted to that foul?! This is bull! Well, I hope Pistons fans are happy now.

NBA Announces Suspensions From

Pistons-Pacers Game

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 -- The following suspensions were announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern, resulting from the events during the Indiana Pacers at Detroit Pistons game on Nov. 19.

Pacers forward Ron Artest has been suspended for the remainder of the season.

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson has been suspended for 30 games.

Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal has been suspended for 25 games.

Indiana guard Anthony Johnson has been suspended for five games.

Detroit forward/center Ben Wallace has been suspended for six games.

Pistons forwards Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman and guard Chauncey Billups have each been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

Indiana guard Reggie Miller has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

In announcing today’s actions Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement:

“The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident – that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players. We must affirm that the NBA will strive to exemplify the best that can be offered by professional sports, and not allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations for behavior of fans and athletes alike.

“There are other issues that the NBA must urgently focus on at this time. First, we must redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds. Participants in and around the court must be assured complete protection from unacceptable fan behavior. Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas. The actions at Friday’s game, though unprecedented, must now be factored into all efforts to guarantee the well-being of our fans. Third, we must develop and implement new NBA rules to assure that the unavoidable confrontations likely to occur in the heat of competition are not allowed to escalate to the level we witnessed on Friday even prior to the egregious behavior by individuals in the stands.”

VinceMcMahonforPresident....Detroit doesn't have a reputation for violent fans? Even at the Palace, it has notoriously been a riot scene after any major win or major loss. I lived in Detroit, I experienced it first hand. It had gotten better in recent years, but the Detroit fans have ALWAYS been among the worst in the league as far as how they treat opposing players.

I don't think Artest should have gotten the year, my opinion's already been stated. I know Stern had to make an example, but this is definately too much all the way around. O'Neal should have gotten less and Stephen Jackson should have gotten a much stiffer penalty. When he first entered the stands, he wasn't trying to stop Artest, he was going up there and SEARCHING for someone to hit. That should have merited more than what he actually got.

And Im sick of people ragging on Palace security.  I go Pistons games all the time and Ive never any problems with them.  You go through metal detectors to get in.  And, are these people supposed to know that Artest was gonna charge into the crowd.  The guards are usually in the aisle ways and not in the middle of the sections.  Are they supposed to plan every night, "Well.....theres 1% chance a fucking lunatic might charge into the stands, so lets put armed guards in the seats."

Ive never seen a riot or anything. Like I said, since 1984 nothing has happened. NOTHING! As for treating opposing players, what are we supposed to do? Cheer them. You heckle the opposition

And again, the Palace is not in Detroit. Its called "The Palace of Auburn Hills" cuz its in Auburn Hills, MI

Im surprised Artest got the year. I thought he'd get 20 tops. But Stern isnt messing around. The Ben Wallace suspension is proof of that. 7 games for a two-handed shove. 143 games for 9 players. This proves David Stern dont take no shit

Guest Bluesman

Evidently that fat piece of shit who was attacking Jones from behind is Ben Wallace's brother. Looks like being a pussy runs in the family...

Bostjan Nachbar, a Rockets forward from Slovenia, experienced getting overrun by fans during games in Italy, but the physicality is what made this different. According to witnesses, some fans were bragging they had struck Artest or O'Neal. Ben Wallace's brother, wearing a media credential, sucker-punched Pacers guard Fred Jones.

David Stern took the easy way out here and I think the suspension times are bullshit. Stern won't come out and say that the fans were at much more fault then anyone wants to admit. Artest should've never gone into the stands but he also should not have been hit by cups of ice, beer and anything else those dicks threw. Also, those fans were some of the biggest pussies I've ever seen, they were quick to hit players from behind but once the players saw them, they act like they weren't going to do or did anything.

I believe Artest should've got about 25-30 games, Jackson about 15-20, O'Neal 10 (even though he was just helping his teammate out) and Wallace about 15-20. I would've given Wallace at least have of Artest's suspension because he's the one that escalated the situation by overreacting and getting the crowd riled up.

what are you talking about CM Punk? Stern did mention that he crowd behavior was out of the line and they're going to adjust their tolerance policy with the fans. What else did you ewant for him? The suspensions are more then fair. Send the message loud and clear. Artest is an idiot who deserved every game of what he got.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

anybody see that guy Artest initially attacked, he had his beer in his hand cheering and all....but when he noticed Artest was coming after him, he got all shocked, and started duckin.

Stephen Jackson did throw some haymakers on those cats in the stands, but i agree Jermaine's 75 foot running start/slipping/falling/punching/knocking dude out, then him & Jonathan Bender standing over him, completely owns all.

Edited by BacknBlackHoez