Criticism over not writing own material

Lord Nibbler

So many people have this scattered view of a musician.

A musician is someone who plays music. Just because they don't write said music doesn't make them any less of a writer. If something affects you deeply, than who cares who wrote it?

Now, the thing is I have a problem with people who write certain types of music, for example, Chrstina ?Aguleria? sang the song "I'm OK" apparently about her father abusing her, etc. But I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that her father was nothing like that, so I don't believe she should be singing a song like that.

Then there's also the fact that there's a song about "trusting the voice within" followed by one about casual sex... so... yeah. But that's another topic.

And I am sure Primus have a friend called Harold and he is from the rocks. Point is, when writing you create characters. Christina's father may or may not be abusive, but she is singing a song to represent a certain population or to tell a story she thinks has some of relevance. And at the end of the day, if is true or not doesn't matter. If the music still affects you, than don't let the author or truth bother you. Take it for what it is an entertaining perspective on life.

A musician is someone who plays music. Just because they don't write said music doesn't make them any less of a writer.

Read that again, tell me that makes sense.

The bottom line is that music is supposed to convey something. If you're conveying someone elses something, then you're a lazy hack. Covers are another beats but making a career playing someone elses tune takes little or no talent at all.

Can you imagine the sheer logistical nightmare of each and every actor in a film writing their own lines? In a film the writer is a credited member of the crew, effectively a part of the band. Crap pop writers are usually unrecognised and outside the group, freelancers essentially. Depends how you want to think about it, Elton John hasn't written a lyric in his life, but he does write all the tunes. He's the director essentially. Crazy question, but fun.

Thing is, you have to define a line between performing someone elses words, and doing a cover. Essentially Johnny Cash has covered a previously released song which in film terms would be a remake, a la Thomas Crown Affair, or Alfie. Acting in a an original film would be more akin to something along the lines of Embrace's recent single Gravity, penned by Chris Martin then transformed into a very Embrace tune. Effectively a director interpreting a script how he sees fit. And now I'm confused as fuck.

A better question and one I'll never understand is why this is such a big deal NOW. Some of the greatest singers of all time didn't write all their own songs. The Rat Pack had a lot of stuff written by Paul Anka, the Beatles didn't write all of their own (I'm not a huge Beatles fan, so I'm trusting information I got from someone else on this), and so on. But nobody bashes them for it, so why is it a big deal for someone with a killer voice like Christina Aguilera to get a song written for her? If you ask me, it's commendable. She recognizes that she may not be the best songwriter and goes to someone who is better at it than she is.

And to touch on what someone said about genres of music factoring in....pop music's purpose is to be catchy, I don't think people will trip as much if there's a ghostwriter. In hip hop, your reputation is built on your street credibility. If the street audience doesn't buy into you and believe you, then what you say means nothing so having a ghostwriter is a much bigger deal for that genre. If Jay hadn't grown up in the Marcy projects and instead had been raised in upper Connecticut, nothing he raps about would have any effect on those in the streets. Just an example, but ya get the point.

A better question and one I'll never understand is why this is such a big deal NOW.  Some of the greatest singers of all time didn't write all their own songs.  The Rat Pack had a lot of stuff written by Paul Anka, the Beatles didn't write all of their own (I'm not a huge Beatles fan, so I'm trusting information I got from someone else on this), and so on.  But nobody bashes them for it, so why is it a big deal for someone with a killer voice like Christina Aguilera to get a song written for her?  If you ask me, it's commendable.  She recognizes that she may not be the best songwriter and goes to someone who is better at it than she is. 

And to touch on what someone said about genres of music factoring in....pop music's purpose is to be catchy, I don't think people will trip as much if there's a ghostwriter.  In hip hop, your reputation is built on your street credibility.  If the street audience doesn't buy into you and believe you, then what you say means nothing so having a ghostwriter is a much bigger deal for that genre.  If Jay hadn't grown up in the Marcy projects and instead had been raised in upper Connecticut, nothing he raps about would have any effect on those in the streets.  Just an example, but ya get the point.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

To me, you're more of a musician if you make your own music, Christina Aguilera is a great singer, but she shouldn't be singing about her dad kicking the shit into her unless he did it, it hardly paints him in a bright light.

I don't see the comparison between an actor and a musician.