Sum 41 (HOLY SHIT)

YI

I just lent Chuck off a mate today, he was raving on how brilliant it was and how they've really came on with a much darker sound. I admit, I did own all the previous Sum 41 albums, but I sold them to other people, once my tastes changed. Put in the CD, just for some backing music (Which I viewed the other albums as, but they were some standout tracks on both such as Mr Amsterdam that made me take notice). BAM! First song, and I was hooked. The sound is awesome, the guitar work is awesome, the vocals are awesome, the first song was amazing (And having listened to it, it remained my favourite), it's called "No Reason" for reference. Quiet vocals in the verse, gradually crescendo'ing into a catchy chorus. In a weird way it reminded me of Alexisonfire (Minus the screaming). It's a solid 8/10 if not 9/10 album for me, it's let down to 8/10 only because about halfway through it's as if they go "Oh, we're ment to be popular. We should make some songs that target our 'audience'." I can't blame them it sells records, but at the minute they're caught in a dead end. The 'trendwhores' (Can't think of a more accurate name at the minute) will be turned off by the 'heavier' style whereas those who usually prefer a heavier sound wont buy it (9 times out of 10) as it's Sum 41.

As previously stated, my favourite song is No Reason (Which will be an awesome moshing/skanking song live). It's closely followed by The Bitter End (Which has an awesome solo).

I reccommend you people check this out, unless you have already. And if so, what are your thought on it, or your thoughts on Sum 41 in general. This album has definately changed my outlook on them.

A lot of their riffs on the new album, and a few on their last one are direct rip-offs of Metallica riffs. So I like the music.

And they rip-off Iron Maiden quite a bit too, but unlike Papa Roach they make no excuses and are open about their song thefts.

My, how Sum 41 has grown up since Makes No Difference. And so have I grown up.

We're All To Blame is a step up from everything they ever released in terms of showcasing their true talents. So I bought the album. I was shocked; this wasn't the same Sum 41 from Half Hour Of Power. They defintely have grown up.

With that, I don't think the record is good, it is decent. Maybe I'd say a 6 out of ten, which is an average. They have shown leaps and bounds, but they still haven't reached the stage in song-writing that I expected from the album.

I've always had a soft spot for Ajax, Ontario's own native sons. Their music isn't anything spectacular, but I still enjoy it listening to them. But the thing that makes me like them so much isn't their music, it's two other things. 1) They are 4 of the funniest guys, especially Steve. I've seen their Much Music specials (Egos & Icons, On Set, Exposed, etc) 100 times over, as well as one of their DVDs and they are hilarious. 2) They make some awesome, yet simple, music videos.

Sorry, I like you YI, but you almost make me suffocate by saying The Bitter End has an awesome solo. I almost choked to death, damn you :P

For a start, the song is three minutes long. That's not a song! WTF can you fit in three minutes? Most of the music I listen to has three minute solo's no problem. A lot of them more than one.

Talking of solos...that's not a solo. That's a fucking intro, dude.

They've definately got a hell of a lot better, I'll admit. But they're still only average.

(I know it's a completely different genre and everything, and I wasn't going to comment. But then you said it had a good solo, and I was interested. So then I did comment, after stealing my room-mate's CD).

Edited by TheReilDeal

Guest Dakendo

I've really not hearxd much of their stuff, but from what I have heard, it's not been anything stunningly awesome, but that's probably because I haven't heard their best stuff. I'm more into stuff like Machine Head, but I guess I'll give Sum 41 another listen.

Maybe awesome was the wrong word to use. But it is a solo. yeah, i mightn't be a Steve Vai amazing fuck off solo, or a 3 minute power Metal solo (Or whatever you listen too :)) but it is good. Especially for a 'mainstream' artist (If anybody comes back and quotes other guitar players that could do that, bite me you're not ruining my point). Maybe amazing was a little over the top, even now listening to it today, it may have been but it is good, no doubt about it, due to the fact it takes skill to pull it off. It's for example in football, a volley is no bicycle kick, however a goal scored from a regular volley can be just as good as a goal scored from a bicycle kick. Also, with a volley you have less chance of screwing up. Okay, now less of the football. Everybody has their own tastes, you might like long songs, but I don't (Well, I don't mind them but I prefer shorter songs as I get bored quite quickly), as previously said through the football euphamism (How the fuck do you spell that?) a volley can achieve more than a bicycle kick, so a short song can sometimes be better than a long one, you're less likely to get bored by it for a start.

I'm going to finish now before it turns into a rant, due to the fact I am starting to forget what i'm rambling on about.

You don't get bored of a good song ;) That's why it's good. I admit, long doesn't normally equal good, and that comment was a bit of a stupid one in retrospect, but still..

It's an ok piece of guitar playing, yeah, he's more than your average punk guitarist, but the words "solo" and "punk rock" don't mix in my mind too well ;)

Each to their own, eh? (Thank fuck, or we'd all be listening to the X-Factor shit).