January Contest

AJ

i am realy sorry, but i don´t like one of them, thankfully i still had a very old psd with a EWB4 logo aroun wich i quickly changed, yes i am that lazy, be jellus now, less is more.

i am not saing mine is great or annything, i prittymuch hate all of my grafik work, but jesus christ is it ever better than the wirred overkills you guys produced up untill now ;p why do there always need to be a zillion wirred efects in it, im so tired of this overloading :-/

Could possibly be because of the fact that the winner's could go on the main page, and generally speaking you want to have something easy on the eyes but attention getting at the same time.

But damn Matzat, you wanna talk weird effects....how the hell did you blend in that 'I' in 'IV'? It's like it's invisible.

[/srcsm] :P

Edited by Norris Scott

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, however generally speaking during monthly graphics contests one desires to show his or her skills in graphics in an attempt to win said contest.

It's kinda how it works :P

I agree, there are some things that are overboard and all, but people are atleast trying what they think would be the best design. That's what I did, that's what you did, and really the only way of going overboard is if they started trying to shove everything they could into it. The only two things I really see as 'overkill' would be the one with AJ Styles in it and the animated .gif that takes an hour to finish spelling the name of the board.

That goes a bit far, yeah, but the fact is that hey atleast people are trying right? :thumbsup:

And see, there IS a difference between what you 'can do and need/need not to do', yes. Obviously, no one's going to wait around for the .gif to finish, and if they saw a pic of AJ Styles they'd expect a wrestling based forum. Since EWB is more broad-ranged, it's better to try and make a graphic that represents that. That's what I went for with mine anyway.

It's fine to have a simple design, as most are REALLY well done and good looking,a dn they do attract attention. However, when I go to the main page and look I wanted to try something that I thought would work well for it. I suppose it boils down to matter of opinion really though, as I feel there's plenty of people's designs on this page that would work.

And that includes yours, that is of course if this was the fifth EWB verison :P

I :wub:

With that said though, Norris still has the most awesome graphic here. His background isn't over the top busy either, it's dead on how it needs to be. It just looks good all around.

Thanks, that's what I was shooting for :)

Zachalous: Get rid of the Sabin cut, yeah. But the background just ain't working man, it's very simple and the color isn't all that great. I'd go for something that matches the logo's color scheme maybe, but nothing that makes the logo get lost in it either. Look at some backgrounds other people have done and try to think of something similar, practice that for a bit then try something else. Start combining the tactics you use, work with your own style, and you should come up with something pretty good.

Oh, and he was talking about Wiseguy's

it´s not just the face, it´s the compleed background you have there, the wirred blue yellow, and (at least in my opinion) zany background issent what the focus of this GFX should be, you try to get something across, design for a purpos. (but, eh, if you look at the other ones, they just try to squez as much "zany" in there as posible, i don´t like it, but who am i to tell them...)

I'm not so sure on that Matzat, I don't think everyone was trying to pack everything they could into their graphics...only a few, yeah. But now everyone.

The deal is, these are mostly graphic designs--not logo designs. Yours was a logo design and what everyone else is doing are graphic designs, hence the difference. I can show you zany, weird and just 'out there' graphics I've seen...and sure, there's a few in here over-the-top, but there's plenty that is subtle too. Subtle enough to work, anyway.

it´s not just the face, it´s the compleed background you have there, the wirred blue yellow, and (at least in my opinion) zany background issent what the focus of this GFX should be, you try to get something across, design for a purpos. (but, eh, if you look at the other ones, they just try to squez as much "zany" in there as posible, i don´t like it, but who am i to tell them...)

I'm not so sure on that Matzat, I don't think everyone was trying to pack everything they could into their graphics...only a few, yeah. But now everyone.

The deal is, these are mostly graphic designs--not logo designs. Yours was a logo design and what everyone else is doing are graphic designs, hence the difference. I can show you zany, weird and just 'out there' graphics I've seen...and sure, there's a few in here over-the-top, but there's plenty that is subtle too. Subtle enough to work, anyway.

as far as i understand you are meant to do something usefull (sinc it will be used), usefull always is more than just showing of, thats why i even start to argue, and annyway, to much just dos show that you don´t have the skill to know wen it is enough, wich is a very important one in my eyes -_-

Edited by Michael Matzat