Di Canio Gives Fascist Salute

fineintent

Di Canio investigated for 'fascist salute'

Lazio captain Paolo Di Canio is to face an official inquiry by the Italian football authorities after appearing to make a fascist salute towards supporters of his team after last Thursday's Rome derby.

"It was only to celebrate," said the former West Ham and Celtic striker, "I am a professional and my manner of celebrating has nothing to do with politics."

Di Canio, who wears a tattoo of the late fascist dictator Benito Mussolini, scored the first goal during a 3-1 win over Roma and was seen giving the straight arm 'Roman' salute to Lazio fans at the north end of the stadium. While the player denies any political significance to his gesture, Alessandra Floriani, Mussolini's granddaughter and now a right-wing politician, said: "How nice that Roman salute was. It delighted me so much. I shall write him a thank-you note."

Less impressed was centre-left politician Enzo Foschi, who said yesterday: "That salute cannot pass without comment. It gives legitimacy to fascism, a murderous and tyrannical ideology. I take my cap off to Di Canio the footballer, but Di Canio the fascist is a discrage."

Source - the Sunday Times

Edited by fineintent

Seems alot like the JBL Nazi salute, upsetting alot of people

Except JBL doesn't have a tattoo of a fascist dictator, nor can Di Canio claim to be "in character".

He could...football's all fake you know. :shifty:

Guest Ringmaster

From what I gather, to many Italians, Mussolini isn't necessarily a symbol for fascism, they just see him as some deeply charismatic leader who led things his way, until he was influenced by Hitler. Basically, for them, it's the same situation now, just replace Mussolini with Berlusconi, and Hitler with Bush :shifty:.

This is probably why Di Canio's gesture isn't really gonna get mentioned a lot in Italy, while over here, the football channels seem to mention it on a daily basis.