Favourite Match Ever?

Farmer Reil

Everyone seems to talk about their favourite wrestling matches, but other sporting events don't seem to be talked about. There's obviously more emphasis on the winning rather than the 'quality' of the match, but still, there have been some great football, rugby, NFL etc matches in the past, so which matches stick out for you, for whatever reason?

Man U 2-1 Bayern

Germany 1-5 England

Germany 1-1 Ireland (just for Robbie Keane's 92nd minute equaliser)

Italy losing to South Korea (because I dislike Italy)

Both Newcastle vs Liverpool 3-4 matches

Man U 1-3 Fulham

England beating Australia in the Rugby World Cup Final

France beating the "unstoppable" New Zealand in the Semi Finals of the last World Cup (the one where Australia won it)

Tampa Bay defeating Calgary in the Stanley Cup last year (all the games were good, but being a Tampa Bay fan, I loved it all!)

Australia vs South Africa in the last World Cricket Cup....it was a draw, but I think Australia won on runs per over, possibly. I'm not 100% sure, I just remember Alan Macdonald getting stupidly run out to end the game.

Edited by rvdwannabe

England 4 - 1 Holland from Euro 96 is one of my favourite matches ever, I can still remember watching that one as Shearer and Sheringham tore them apart.

Arsenal 3 - 2 Man Utd is another, where David Platt looped a header in so late on in the game - went through so many emotions in that game, which is partly why I love football so much and just one of tens of Arsenal games I could probably go through (like beating Inter 5 - 1 or winning the league at Old Trafford - though that game itself wasn't a classic).

Other than that it's the usual suspects, 5 - 1 against Germany, the Liverpool-Newcastle thrillers etc...

Boxing: "Irish" Mickey Ward vs. Arturo "Thunder" Gatti, May 18th 2002.

The first fight in their epic trilogy. One of the most entertaing fights I've ever seen in my life and without a doubt the best all-out brawl. The 9th round is one of my personal favorite rounds of boxing. When Mickey landed that huge hook on Gatti...man. Ward goes in for the kill, but Gatti fights back with his own bombing combos. Then Mickey comes back and goes on the attack, nailing Arturo with a big shot to the temple. Ward takes Gatti to the ropes with a massive flurry of punches. The end looks to be around the corner for sure... but Gatti is saved by the bell. Now that's a fight.

Hockey: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Philadelphia Flyers, 2002/03 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Eastern Quater Finals game 6

Just a great, spirited, physical game that saw Eddie Belfour stand on his head and take a barrage of shots like none other. I mean, any other goalie would have cracked under pressure like that, but the Eagle stood tall and Toronto won 2-1 in the second period overtime. Beautiful. Sadly, the Leats would be ousted in 7 games, losing the series 4 games to 3 after taking a shlacking in game 7.

Hockey: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Ottawa Senators, 2001/02 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Eastern Semi Finals game 6

One game from elimination, the Leafs stepped out on the ice to put all the naysayers to rest. Everyone and their mothers said that Toronto was done and that Ottawa FINALLY had their number. And they almost did. But Toronto would fight the Sens to the finish, winning the game 4-3 after an early third period go-ahead goal by Alexander Mogilny. I can't remember how good that game was, but I just remember jumping for joy as the clock hit zero. The Leafs would go on to take game 7 by a score of 3-0 to the win the series, shutting all the haters the hell up.

I could on and name tons of more favorite hockey games, but I'll stop there.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Australia vs South Africa in the last World Cricket Cup....it was a draw, but I think Australia won on runs per over, possibly. I'm not 100% sure, I just remember Alan Macdonald getting stupidly run out to end the game.

I could've sworn it was Kluesner or Kallis.

Thats it, MacDonald fucked up, and Klusener got run out. It was an awesome match though.

And ditto for the 4-1 bashing of Netherlands. When Shearer slammed that goal in after Sheringham's lay off is one of my favourite moments in football.

Last day of 1988/89 season.

Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal

"A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, to Thomas, charging through the midfield, Thomas, it's up for grabs NOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! THOMAS!!! RIGHT AT THE END!!!"

One of the most amazing moments in football history. (Unless you are a Liverpool fan of course :P)

Juventus vs Barcelona - Quarter Final, Second Leg - I remember thinking we were going to go out here. We'd had a man sent of and were into extra time. We all know Italian team's aren't too good at Penaltys so I was dreading it. Then with about five minutes to go Thurham breaks on the counter attack and there looks to be NO chance what so ever of a goal for us. Out of nowhere Thurham bangs one low into the box and Zalayeta somehow pops up to stick it into the net. I remember jumping around so happy at that point, awesome moment which got us into the next round.

Juventus vs Real Madrid - 2002/2003 Semi Final, Second Leg - So we've just somehow beaten Barcelona in the previous round after a tiring game of football. We've already played the first leg of this one and lost 2-1, a game which for me should have been 1-1 and the Carlos goal should never have stood. Anyway everyone I knew had written us of and said how Madrid were an unbeatable force, boy did we prove everyone wrong. Went into the match and slaughtered them. People can say what they want, but you have to be a great team to walk all over a team like Madrid, well you did back then anyway. We came into the game and proved that we were still one of the best teams around. Awesome goal from Del and Nedved finished it of with one of my favourite goals of all time. Another game where at the end I was jumping around with joy.

Manchester United vs Liverpool - FA Cup Final 1996(I think) - About a minute left and a corner comes out. Comes away from Rush's shoulder and straight into the path of Cantona who half volleys it into the back of the net for the 1-0 win. I loved that game at the time

Buffalo/Giants - Super Bowl XXV. No turnovers all game, the Bills an unstoppable team, but Parcells holds the ball for 40 minutes and neutralizes them. And Scott Norwood having to make the toughest kick of his life. Such a great game, it spawned a U2 music video (albeit 11 years later).

ManU/Leverkusen - CL Semifinal, second leg. CLEARED OFF THE LINE! CLEARED OFF THE LINE! Unbelievable last few minutes as you just waited and waited for the Man U to sneak through until the final whistle.

USA/Mexico - WC 2002, playoff. And if you don't care, I'm sorry. This was the game that made my British football friends sit up and take notice that the USA were actually, y'know, pretty good.

St.Louis/New England - Super Bowl XXXVI. Just the perfect comeback from the horrors of 9/11, with a team named the Patriots displaying selflessness and heart to overcome the odds and win at the last second. You couldn't have scripted this. And yes, I'm overreacting.

Duke/Kentucky - 1992 NCAA Tournament, quarterfinals. Considered the best game in NCAA Tournament history by many. Laettner goes for 30 points and misses 0 shots all night in a 104-103 game decided on a full-court play and buzzer-beater. Sent Duke to its second straight national title and kept Pitino off the winner's stand for another four years. So many lead changes, so many key shots... just crazy.

Either Benfica - Sporting, from 1994, where Benfica won 6-3 (great game, I was just a little kid back then, and I almost had a heart attack with that game... Sporting scored first, then Benfica, then Sporting again, then Benfica scored 4 in a row, then Sporting scored another, then finally Benfica closed the scoring, I think that was it) or a game I saw recently in a "Memories" like TV station around here, Benfica - Leverkusen, 1994 too. Leverkusen scored 2, Benfica scored 3, Leverkusen scored another 2, and finally Benfica scored another 1 in the discounts to tie the game and go through the round of whichever cup it was.

Spurs 4 - 5 Arsenal

Fair enough , we lost but we are used to losing games against teams in london . An amazing game tactically not the best , flair wise not the best but to see the team i love so dearly go one up against the team i hate so much . the only way to describe it is An Emotional Rollercoaster

England 5 - 1 Germany

No explaination needed

Ac Milan 0 - 0 Inter Milan ( this season i believe )

The best 0-0 of all time , im not a fan of italian football because ive always felt that watching them dive over the floor wasnt that entertaining and defensive football isnt great to watch . But this game turned it all around for me , it had everything apart from a goal , neither team deserved to lose