Obscure Films You Liked

ROC

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought Session 9 the other day based on comments from here (and the fact that I had always been curious about it), and I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed the movie greatly, and I had this creepy feeling during the movie that I don't feel very often. Heck, the last time I remember ever having that feeling was when I was playing one of the Silent Hill games.

The Wisdom Of Crocodiles. It's a bizarre thriller/horror/crime film with Jude Law, who I normally hate, but I loved him in this role. It also had the guy who played Barry on Auf Weidersen, Pet!

I can't really say much about it without giving it away, but it's incredibly enthralling, brilliantly written and amazingly quotable.

Dirty Work I find is an aquired taste, but I'm a big fan of Norm Macdonald and thus really enjoyed it. Artie Lange, Jack Warden and Chris Farley are all really funny in it, and Adam Sandler, Don Rickles and Chevy Chase all have cameos. It probably would have done well at the box office had Don Omelhyer not practically cancelled all the promotional stops for the tour on NBC because Norm made fun of his buddy OJ Simpson.

I'm not sure if this was obscure everywhere (as it was Australian), but there was a film made a couple years ago called "The Night We Called It A Day". It starred Joel Edgerton, Rose Byrne, Portia De Rossi, Melanie Griffith and Dennis Hopper, with Hopper playing Frank Sinatra on a visit to Australia. I thought it was really funny; the cast was charming and Hopper played a fantastic Sinatra.

Finally, speaking of Sinatra, "Come Blow Your Horn" was on a couple of weeks ago and it's one of his funniest in my opinion. It was based on a broadway hit and features Sinatra both singing and acting in the lead role. Barbara Rush and Jill St John both play eye candy, but the supporting cast's real diamond is Lee J Cobb, who gave a rare yet brilliant comedic performance.

I was going to say "Kissing Jessica Stein", but I guess that's really not that obscure since most followers of Indy films will already know of it.

The Ice Storm

In the weekend after thanksgiving 1973 the Hoods are skidding out of control. Benjamin Hood reels from drink to drink, trying not to think about his trouble at the office. His wife, Elena, is reading self help books and losing patience with her husband's lies. Their son, Paul, home for the holidays, escapes to the city to pursue an alluring rich girl from his prep school. And young, budding nymphomaniac, Wendy Hood roams the neighborhood, innocently exploring liquor cabinets and lingerie drawers of her friends' parents, looking for something new. Then an ice storm hits, the worst in a century. Things get bad...