NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

Explain, how would Calgary winning the Cup be so better?  I would like to hear this

Simple one line answer......a city that actually will care in the long term would've won......duh! Tampa fans were there this year......will they be there 2 years from now? How about 5?10?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that the penalty was called correctly. I think the check was clean, but Ferences stick hitting St. Louis and drawing blood is what deserved the penalty. If the stick didn't hit, it shouldn't have been a penalty, but it did. It probably shouldn't have been a Charing call though. I'm not sure what it would have been, since the stick wasn't above the waist, it wasn't High Sticking.

There was nothing that deserved a penalty. Martin needs to enter puberty, that way when he's hit normally it won't like he got run over by a steamroller.

Edited by damshow

Guest Hit Man 3120

Simple one line answer......a city that actually will care in the long term would've won......duh! Tampa fans were there this year......will they be there 2 years from now? How about 5?10?

Were Calgary fans there from "the start?" Did the Saddledome sell out 41 times?

But what do these teams have in common

Vancouver 1994

Flordia 1996

Washington 1998

Buffalo 1999

Carolina 2002

Anaheim 2003

Lowly seeded teams who made it to the Cup Finals with a hot goalie and did nothing the next season. Calgary is more headed to that list than Tampa

Guest Hit Man 3120

Were Calgary fans there from "the start?"  Did the Saddledome sell out 41 times? 

But what do these teams have in common

Vancouver 1994

Flordia 1996

Washington 1998

Buffalo 1999

Carolina 2002

Anaheim 2003

Lowly seeded teams who made it to the Cup Finals with a hot goalie and did nothing the next season.  Calgary is more headed to that list than Tampa

One man can not do it by himself. It showed that in Game 6 & 7, you stop Iginla you stop Calgary

And I do believe that title goes to Martin St.Louis. Hart Trophy, Lester B. Pearson, Art Ross, not to mention the King Clancy and he won the Stanley Cup

And I do believe that title goes to Martin St.Louis.  Hart Trophy, Lester B. Pearson, Art Ross, not to mention the King Clancy and he won the Stanley Cup

No knock on St. Louis but I'd take Ignila over him any day. Ignila is a great leader, can score, can hit, can fight, can do just about everything. Ignila> Rest of NHL.

Guest Hit Man 3120

You all do realise why Calgary lost is because Igninla touched the Campbell Bowl and Abdreychuck didn't touch the Prince of Wales Trophy

Hockey is a sport of superstitions and Iginla defied the biggest one

You all do realise why Calgary lost is because Igninla touched the Campbell Bowl and Abdreychuck didn't touch the Prince of Wales Trophy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rediculous.

The reason Calgary didn't win is because Fox didn't cover game six. If they did, when the puck crossed the line the puck would have caught fire and the net would have exploded, because American's can't tell when people score.

I can't even begin to describe how much I want to shove a History of Hockey book down your throat.

Anyway, I didn't hear about this jinx until this year, AND, it was only on an american website I saw it on. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't hear about this jinx until this year, AND, it was only on an american website I saw it on. :rolleyes:

Well it is a common one among hockey players. But players have mixed feelings on it. Andreychuk had told his team after the game against Philly that he would not touch the trophy......Iginla told his that he would pick it up. Most veterans would not pick up the trophy like Iginla did but then again it depends on whether the guy is superstitious because Sakic picked it up the year Colorado beat NJ.

Explain this superstition to me, I'm only a casual hockey fan.

You are aware that hockey players don't touch the Stanley Cup until they win it right? Well this is along those lines. Hockey players don't think of winning the conference finals as an accomplishment.....that trophy means nothing to them. They think of it as a distraction from the ultimimate prize.

Guest Hit Man 3120

I can't even begin to describe how much I want to shove a History of Hockey book down your throat.

You need a sense of humor, PRONTO

Hit Man is really startin to piss people off, especially Clawson.

Anyway, back on topic, I had never heard about this Superstition before. Seems strange though. Anyone know of any other superstitions related to the playoffs?

not shaving is more like a tradition....I guess you could count that. But that's an obvious one.