NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

Well the NHL season had a pretty bad ending for me, but let's hope they get their act together and we can have a season next year.

If there is a season, I'm betting that San Jose will shock the world and make it out the West while the Bruins finally win the Cup by beating them in 6. </Hopeful wishing>

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the Canucks to give me a fucking Stanley Cup before I move to the States, but I see them goating it and missing the playoffs this year. <_<

I want the Canucks to give me a fucking Stanley Cup before I move to the States, but I see them goating it and missing the playoffs this year.  <_<

There's a chance that'll happen. I'm personally thinking Vancouver or San Jose out of the West next year... if there's a season of course.

Who wants to bet the day the Lightning don't make the playoffs nobody in Tampa cares anymore and they have to move?

If there's some round of contraction after this year, Tampa of course will stay in the league. However, when they return to sucktitude - nobody in Tampa is going to care. Tampa doesn't have fans, only because they won the Stanley Cup they do for the moment.

Calgary should have won the Cup for Canada. Not that I don't hate Tampa, but nobody in Florida cares about hockey or the Cup. Tampa is a good team, it was a good series. Sure Calgary got screwed in Game 6. That was a hella nice save in Game 7 with about 5 min to go.

Brutal! It just kills me that The Flames lost, just kills me. The anger burns all the way down isnide me. That should have been a fucking goal! I feel a little better knowing that Dave Anderchyke gets his name on the cup, but that's about it. The Flames will be back again, but when?

Calgary SHOULD have won in game six.

But they didn't.

And they lost when it REALLY mattered - game seven. They played pretty lethargically [not terribly, just like they were sleeping] for the first 40 minutes - picked up a bit throughout the third, and TURNED IT ON LIKE DONKEY KONG for the last 10/12 minutes. Khabibulin's save etched the series for the Bolts, guaranteed. Kipper's save on Lecavalier's break-away was pretty bad-ass, too.

The last penalty was fucking terrible, as were a couple of other non-calls during the game [a couple of blatant trips], and some other shitty penalties handed out [for both teams - the Nolan Pratt "interference" call springs to mind].

The fact that a clean check was marred with a high stick [although the stick was STILL only at Ference's waist, and it's not like Ference is a big guy, either] solidified a penalty call - even if it wasn't high sticking. Calling a two-stride hit "charging" during the last minute of the final game in the Stanley Cup finals takes a lot of balls - and even more stupidity. So, I say, FUCK YOU, FRASER. Whether you cost the Flames a chance at a goal is irrelevant, and I still say FUCK YOU for fucking up the game's finale. It was just another fucking idiotic call from an idiotic referee.

Anyway, congrats to the Bolts. I'm glad a GOOD team won a Cup this time, rather than a boring-ass trap team full of overpaid morons. And congrats to Dave Andreychuk - ya finally did it!

And Brad Richards - what a star-making performance he had these play-offs, huh? And he's not too shabby on the eyes, either. :shifty:

Calgary SHOULD have won in game six.

But they didn't.

And they lost when it REALLY mattered - game seven. They played pretty lethargically [not terribly, just like they were sleeping] for the first 40 minutes - picked up a bit throughout the third, and TURNED IT ON LIKE DONKEY KONG for the last 10/12 minutes. Khabibulin's save etched the series for the Bolts, guaranteed. Kipper's save on Lecavalier's break-away was pretty bad-ass, too.

The last penalty was fucking terrible, as were a couple of other non-calls during the game [a couple of blatant trips], and some other shitty penalties handed out [for both teams - the Nolan Pratt "interference" call springs to mind].

The fact that a clean check was marred with a high stick [although the stick was STILL only at Ference's waist, and it's not like Ference is a big guy, either] solidified a penalty call - even if it wasn't high sticking. Calling a two-stride hit "charging" during the last minute of the final game in the Stanley Cup finals takes a lot of balls - and even more stupidity. So, I say, FUCK YOU, FRASER. Whether you cost the Flames a chance at a goal is irrelevant, and I still say FUCK YOU for fucking up the game's finale. It was just another fucking idiotic call from an idiotic referee.

Anyway, congrats to the Bolts. I'm glad a GOOD team won a Cup this time, rather than a boring-ass trap team full of overpaid morons. And congrats to Dave Andreychuk - ya finally did it!

And Brad Richards - what a star-making performance he had these play-offs, huh? And he's not too shabby on the eyes, either. :shifty:

Sahyder's gonna say you know nothing about hockey, since that's pretty much what I said yesterday and he claimed I was spouting bull, and that Brad Richards is quite "dreamy" <_<

Sahyder's gonna say you know nothing about hockey, since that's pretty much what I said yesterday and he claimed I was spouting bull, and that Brad Richards is quite "dreamy"  <_<

What I said yesterday was that you add nothing to the hockey threads(and the quote above is further proof of that) and therefore debating hockey with you is pointless. You made it seem like Tampa outplayed Calgary by a mile....which obviously isn't true.

What I said yesterday was that you add nothing to the hockey threads(and the quote above is further proof of that) and therefore debating hockey with you is pointless. You made it seem like Tampa outplayed Calgary by a mile....which obviously isn't true.

When a team outplays another for 50 minutes, that IS outclassing them for the majority of the game. Take off your pro-Canadian/anti-naiwf blinders and see the light. If Calgary would have played with any fire for say the first 2/3 of the game they would have won pretty easily. And has anyone seen Jarome Iginla, I missed him last night and was just wondering how he was doing.

When a team outplays another for 50 minutes, that IS outclassing them for the majority of the game.

Tampa had 2 goals (one on one unbeliveable move). Shots were even.....they both were nothing special for most of the first 40 minutes.

Take off your pro-Canadian/anti-naiwf blinders and see the light.

If you think I even give the slightest damn about you......you're crazy. I couldn't care less what you think so quit with your self ego boost. You're adding nothing to this thread except a "sahyder disagrees with me" every 2 posts.

Guest Hit Man 3120

Can we get over the goal. Even Darryl Sutter has said it was a good call and just concentrate on a great final and the fact we wont get NHL hockey till 2005

Once again showing you know nothing about hockey.

I don't know if I can describe how much better it would be for the sport for Calgary to have taken the cup home, since you know, they did win it.

Why the fuck does Tampa have a fucking team anyway. I mean, at least Los Angeles is a major market, and part of the original expansion, but fucking TAMPA?

Guest Hit Man 3120

I don't know if I can describe how much better it would be for the sport for Calgary to have taken the cup home, since you know, they did win it.

Explain, how would Calgary winning the Cup be so better? I would like to hear this

Hockey = big in Canada.

It would be a MUCH bigger story if a Canadian team won the Cup for the first time since 1993, then it is with Tampa Bay winning it.

Canada winning the Cup is good for hockey, people care more about Canadian teams then they do for US teams, outside of Detroit, Philly, the Rangers, and arguably Boston.

I think Calgary/Canadian hockey fans are getting carried away with this.

I believe that the penalty was called correctly. I think the check was clean, but Ferences stick hitting St. Louis and drawing blood is what deserved the penalty. If the stick didn't hit, it shouldn't have been a penalty, but it did. It probably shouldn't have been a Charing call though. I'm not sure what it would have been, since the stick wasn't above the waist, it wasn't High Sticking.

I think the game 6 "half goal" by Gelinas was in and probably should have been a goal, but there's no sense complaining about it now, they aren't going to go back, reverse the decision and give Calgary the cup.

And I think the Fraser-bashing is a bit far also, he called what he saw, give the guy a break.

Edited by The Mark Of Excellence

post-4-1086667314.jpg

The bottom line is that the League protects itself by ensuring that American teams recieve an investment in their money. No one in Canada is going to shell out millions of dollars for TV contracts for European football. No one in America is going to shell out millions of dollars for TV contracts for Canadian hockey. They need American teams, to root for, American teams to hate. They need Canadian teams to hate.

A year or two ago it was looking like the Leafs and the Canucks had a chance to press through to the finals. It was then estimated, on local radio, that the NHL would lose 40 million dollars in television revenue if an American team did not make the final. As it was the American teams were simply better and got in but it was one of the worst finals in recent history. Anaheim is not a hockey market. Look at them this year. And New Jersey, despite having a rich owner, isn't either. They can't even sell out playoff games. How fucking pathetic is that. You want to see bad TV performance? Take two American markets who could give a shit about hockey and put them in the finals. Oh yeah, don't forget to interrupt the games to advertise the NBA Finals, which won't even be on for a week, with a commercial that features the Black Eyed Peas and a host of Celebrity cameos and probably cost more then the entire NHL season did.

Canada is a hockey market. As much as you might say Canada has small market teams... you have it backwards. Canada has poor market teams. The amount of fans is much, mugh higher then the majority of American cities. The only thing holding them back is the Canadian dollar.