What game genres do you find hard to play ?

Docpepper

Guest UmpireAJS

Somehow I can play text-based-simulators awesomely, but whenever they are given a graphical interface, I..am lost, except for The Sims 2 and some of the Simcity games,it has happened to me everywhere- even during the Microsoft Age games series.

I also do not like playing RPG's either...for an extended period of time. It gives me a sort of headache

I suck *majorly* at SimCity-esque games...I love strategy/simulation games, but I just can't handle the Sim-something series. As opposed to The Sims themselves...which I find painstakingly dull.

And although I love RPGs, including the Final Fantasy series, I can't get into FF7. I've tried multiple times and failed to stick with it each and every time.

Racing games are alright, but for the most part I find them pretty pointless. Except Micro Machines V3. BEST. MULTIPLAYER GAME. EVER.

I am actually very fond of beat-em-ups (Soul Calibur, Tekken, ...Smackdown?), but I usually never play them on my own. Only in the rare occasion that I'm playing with friends are they likely to be dug out.

I'm not a great lover of FPS either - maybe I just suck, I don't know, but I've never found them too appealing. Certainly not as appealing as my friend who would play Unreal Tournament while hissing "Die my Pretties...!!" to himself. That concerned me.

What I DO like tends to revolve around the likes of:

* strategy games (Civilization, Hearts of Iron, etc.)

* Football Manager (pfft, it has it's OWN genre)

* RPGs (Disgaea, Dark Chronicle, FF, etc.)

* platformers (SONIC, Crash Bandicoot, etc.)

* space-flight-sims (Star Wars variety, usually)

Plus things like GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Monkey Island, and so on...naturally.

Edited by stokeriño

RPGs for sure. Never completed one. Those that involve magic are those I always lay off of. Others I can tolerate. I'm decent at FPS (never played one on the PS2 though). I have relatively quick reflexes, but they only show while I use the keyboard.

Strangest thing, I could never get into FF VII either. I mean, maybe it's because I played FFX before VII, and therefore have a false sense of what makes a great RPG. But I tried FF VII, and while I enjoyed it, when something else came along it went back in the case and hasn't come out since.

I've noticed that there don't seem to be too many good flying games out these days. I'm playing Ace Combat 5 right now, and it is mucho kickass. Has anyone else noted others out lately?

And to stay on topic, I agree with all who say that The Sims suck, and I will offer what I think to be a very valid reason why: there is no sense of scale as far as time goes. Every second is supposed to be a minute, right? Well, when you take a Sim to take a shit, he's in there for about forty seconds. I ask you all: when's the last time you took a shit and it lasted forty minutes? (EDIT: Without too many beers or some awful Mexican food involved?) Or a thirty-to-forty-minute shower? When everything else is based around a somewhat realistic sense of time, but menial tasks like this take so long, it leaves no time in the day to eat, clean house, etc. Laugh if you will, but my ranting about this one issue did serve to blind me to how pointless the game really is.

And racing games > *. Thank you.

Edited by jstarr2k3

Racing and fighting games.

Racing games I just plain suck at, and fighting games..uh..the same. I hate the whole "Press Triangle Circle Triangle Right Right Left Down Up Square Triangle to perform your super duper combo pooper!" shit.

I'll take RPGs and action games any day.

I can't complete any RPG for the life of me. They're way to fucking long, and usually contain puzzles, which I hate.

Any racing game I automatically hate, since I don't see the entertainment factor in a game like a NASCAR one. All you do is drive around a track about 500 times. Meh.

I hate an intense hatred for Strategy games, like Civilization and whatnot. They're just so fucking boring.

Anyone who said they like RPG's and couldn't get into FFVII.....for shame, for shame....

I'm not sure what it is...I think the storyline might be putting me off for some reason.

Comparatively, right now I'm having to actively ignore the existence of Disgaea to allow myself time to do my essays. That shit's downright addictive.

Anyone who said they like RPG's and couldn't get into FFVII.....for shame, for shame....

I'm not sure what it is...I think the storyline might be putting me off for some reason.

Comparatively, right now I'm having to actively ignore the existence of Disgaea to allow myself time to do my essays. That shit's downright addictive.

I dunno what FF games you do like, but having played 7 through to 10, I'd say 7 probably has the best storyline, and easily the best characters (apart from Auron from FFX, who is only beaten by Sephiroth in being cool)

I can actually still go back now and play FF7, it's that good in my (and quite a lot of peoples) eyes.

Racing games are good, so long as they're not too simmish. Like GT punishes you for straying off the racing line for a fraction of a second, or braking just a tad too early or too alte as you go into a corner. 'Scuse me, but if I was that good a driver, I'd be racing in real life.

I can actually still go back now and play FF7, it's that good in my (and quite a lot of peoples) eyes.

I can't. Not after playing Xenosaga. After playing Xenosaga (which shows enemies onscreen) and then trying to play FFVII with the whole "random battle! yay!" element, I wanted to snap the fucking game in two.

X-2 (ACK),

Ack indeed. I rented that because Hastings didn't have FFX. Never again shall I play X-2. NEVER!

Beat Em Ups - Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Dead Or Alive: Can't get into any of them. To me the gameplay seems a little simplistic, mainly because I can't be bothered to learn any moves or combos so it just turns into a button mashing feast. Then I take it back to the store.

Racing - Urgh. My worst enemy. Boring. Maybe with the exception of the Burnout games, where I found the only remotely interesting feature to be that mode where you just have to cause the biggest crash possible.

Survival Horror - Im mainly talking about the earlier Resident Evil games here. The constant walking back and forth, the expected "scare" moments where something just bursts out of nowhere to attack you, the annoying puzzles and the clumsy combat and controls.

I think the only survival horror game I ever liked was Silent Hill, and I only played a demo of that. I hit some weird alien baby thing with a wench, got scared and never played it again.