Bushmeister

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dying Bride > other Doom Metal bands

Correction:

Cathedral > My Dying Bride > other Doom Metal bands

But My Dying Bride are still Dooming it up, whilst Cathedral aren't......MDB probably has a longer legacy in relation to the genre as well.

Plus they kick arse...

Cathedral's still "dooming it up". Haven't you heard their new record?

No, I was just quoting what you said to me the other day. You said thier first stuff was Doomy, and the rest was different.

Why lie to me, Cloudy? :crying:

EDIT: PS....are Cathedral British?

Edited by rvdwannabe

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cathedral are british.

And by "different" I didn't mean they undoomed, it's still under the doombrella, but they just steered in a different subgenre.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cathedral are british.

And by "different" I didn't mean they undoomed, it's still under the doombrella, but they just steered in a different subgenre.

Doombrella......liking it.

Are there any good US Doom bands then, or is it just me and do they only seem to come from the UK (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Cathedral.....)....I'm not 100% sure about where Katatonia or Anathema are from....I think Anathema are UK as well.

www.doom-metal.com

Find out there, rvdwannabe.

Cheers man. Not a massive doom metal fan aside from the bands I've mentioned, but this will be worth checking out, not just for me, but the person who asked about Doom in the first place.

EDIT: I believe Cathedral are from the UK, if only for them having the old Napalm Death singer as thier vocalist.

Edited by rvdwannabe

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things:

1. Carnal Forge kick some serious ass. They really do. Go get songs like "Exploding Veins", "My Suicide" and "Burn Them Alive". Just one more reason to like the Swedish.

2. Despised Icon came out with a new full-length album recently called "The Healing Process". While the first few tracks are standard fare, starting from "Immaculate" the CD is superb grindcore-death metal hybrid.

3. And seriously, now that I come to think of it, WHY do the Swedish bands sound... Well... I don't really know why, but to my ear Swedish bands sound somehow more complex than their US counterparts. Take Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah. They're both grouped in the same math-metal genre, and yes, they do sound somewhat alike. But DEP sounds flat and two-dimensional when compared to Meshuggah. Or Nasum and Pig Destroyer, though both share the ultra-fast aural decimation approach, still Nasum sounds just a bit more well-rounded, much like Meshuggah. What is behind this Swedish sound?

A couple of things:

1. Carnal Forge kick some serious ass. They really do. Go get songs like "Exploding Veins", "My Suicide" and "Burn Them Alive". Just one more reason to like the Swedish.

2. Despised Icon came out with a new full-length album recently called "The Healing Process". While the first few tracks are standard fare, starting from "Immaculate" the CD is superb grindcore-death metal hybrid.

3. And seriously, now that I come to think of it, WHY do the Swedish bands sound... Well... I don't really know why, but to my ear Swedish bands sound somehow more complex than their US counterparts. Take Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah. They're both grouped in the same math-metal genre, and yes, they do sound somewhat alike. But DEP sounds flat and two-dimensional when compared to Meshuggah. Or Nasum and Pig Destroyer, though both share the ultra-fast aural decimation approach, still Nasum sounds just a bit more well-rounded, much like Meshuggah. What is behind this Swedish sound?

In answer to number 3, I believe it is because the metal scene is a lot more high profile (I mean, "true" metal...obviously, alt scenes in UK and US are big as well) in Sweden, allowing them to ply thier trade easier, and thus perfect thier sound.

But then again, thats just a guess, so....

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard any songs from the new Relapse grind act Leng Tch'e? They've been hyping up this Belgian group quite well, and they currently have them touring with Pig Destroyer in Europe and then in the US (culminating in the Maryland DeathFest) Their Relapse-debut, titled "The Process of Elimination", is slated to be released on June 28th (my birthday!) Hopefully they'll deliver at least on the level of Bodies In The Gears Of The Apparatus.