Sluuuuudge...

Bushmeister

So. I am planning on ordering a bunch of CD's in the next month or so, and after the experimental load I hauled home last time, I'm gonna center on just plain hard-hitting metal this time.

So far, on my list I have the "Best of Malevolent Creation" from Malevolent Creation and the "Past Life Trauma (1985-1992)" from Kreator, both compilation discs from bands I have been meaning to get into for quite a while now. Also on the list is the remastered version of Voivod's "War And Pain", featuring a live disc as a bonus. From there on, I'm planning on moving to newer stuff, with Pig Destroyer's "Terrifyer" and The Red Chord's "Fused Together In Revolving Doors" making the list as well (altough, I admit, I probably wouldn't buy the Chord album if it wasn't for the bonus sampler disc that comes along :P)

From these five titles onwards, I'm a bit shaky on what I want to get. I've been looking into sludge metal lately, namely Soilent Green and All Out War, and currently I'm thinking of adding "Sewn Mouth Secrets" from Green and "For Those Who Were Crucified" by AOW onto my list. I'm kinda thinking of Cephalic Carnage's new CD that came out just recently, but then again I would be interested in hearing of more sludge bands besides Soilent and AOW. So the question is, are people aware of any worthwhile sludge metal bands? "Sludge metal" being in this case slow, drawn-out form of grindcore/death metal, with guttural vocals and general insanity aplenty.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the Cephalic Carnage album...what I've heard of it is really good.

Do bands like Cult Of Luna, Isis and Neurosis fall into the sludge genre? I mean, I think they are Sludge something or other (one of those new hippy genres).

Nah, Cult Of Luna, Isis and Neurosis aren't sludge anymore (though their older albums came pretty close). All Out War ain't sludge either, they are quite the opposite really, more like a bled between Death Metal and Hardcore...

You should check out Eyehategod's Dopesick though, now that's a good sludge metal album. Corrosion Of Conformity and Crowbar are pretty sludgy too, and they are both good as well.

Edited by Bas

They are very very similar to KSE, but in my opinion they surpass them and i thought KSE's album was one of the best of 2004 in my opinion.

Either way I think Trivium are kickass.

KsE's newest album was bland in comparison to Alive Or Just Breathing IMO.

EDIT: Get both Pig Destroyer albums, as apparently they are awesome (and they have been, what I've heard of them...they are more Grindcore though)

Edited by rvdwannabe

Unearth are on the same label as KsE?

Unearth > KsE definitely. The Oncoming Storm was one of the best albums of the year last year.

Check out Cult Of Luna - The Beyond or Salvation, Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm and Isis - Panopticon or Oceansize (I think thats the name of the second one). Any of them are awesome.

I'm heavily into Six Feet Under right now, grindcore heaven. Barnes is my fuckin idol.

I'll be honest, I really don't like SFU. ESCPECIALLY after they released thier re-recording of AC/CD's "Back In Black" album song by song....thats just lazy, and sacrilege, all in one.

Guest 12characters

I'm heavily into Six Feet Under right now, grindcore heaven. Barnes is my fuckin idol.

I'll be honest, I really don't like SFU. ESCPECIALLY after they released thier re-recording of AC/CD's "Back In Black" album song by song....thats just lazy, and sacrilege, all in one.

Kreator - Past Life Trauma

Voivod - War And Pain

Malevolent Creation - Best of Malevolent Creation

The Red Chord - Fused Together In Revolving Doors

Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops

Eyehategod - Dopesick

Cephalic Carnage - Anomalies

Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (or Prowler In The Yard, haven't decided that yet. might wind up getting both)