Finally got the anime club started at school

Jack Krauser III

Well, after months of waiting for the principal and superintendant to read my letter and petition, we're having our first meeting March 30th. The plan is too just have an introductory meeting having everyone get to know each other and learn how the group works. I'm trying to decide on what to show that day, but I really can't think. I've been edging toward Ghost in the Shell but I don't know. Post some ideas and if they're a little more "mature" (violence, language) post the rating or what's bad in them. This is a high school, so I have to be a little bit careful. Thanks in advance.

Meh, if you want a classic, I'd go for Akira... It's not that special in my opinion, but it's what most people first think when the word "anime" is pronounced (either that or cartoon sex. Some morons can't tell anime from hentai). Yes, it is a bit gory, I believe. Can't quite recall, haven't seen it in many years.

Also a good movie to show would be Mononoke-Hime, or Princess Mononoke. One of my favourite anime movies ever. Gory. Torn limbs, stuff like that.

Or if you want series, you can always have Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun or my personal favourite, Ranma ½.

Meh.

Dammit The, you made me lose my post. :angry:

I was thinking about showing Akira, but I need to know that it'll be acceptable to show in front of a high school counselor, who's sponsoring the group. Hell, I'll be surprised if they let me show the last few episodes of Eva, although I will anyway. :)

Any other suggestions?

If you wanted to go in a more clean setting for a high school i'd go in more of a comedy route. Dragon ball( when edited or even uncut aside from a few nude scenes scattered here and there in it ) would be a good choice as well as Fruits Basket, Kikaider, Cyborg 009, Yu Yu Hakusho( aside from some mild swearing ), Excel Saga, Guyver, trigun, cowboy bebop and love hina. Probably could think of a few others but whatever you do don't air Hellsing. That anime will get your club shut down in just in the first few minutes of the anime.

Guest Crimson Nightmare

It rather depends on the group of kids you're showing it to. At our anime club (been a member for like two years now, I'm gonna miss it =/), we show most everything, regardless of content, this is a club consisting of 9th-10th-11th graders with me being the only Senior. We've watched Hellsing, Bebop, Fist of the North Star, and several things with "questionable" content (Ping Pong Club anyone?), so if you think you've got cool kids who wont be offended by anything or that you wont be invaded by school faculty who might take offense, you should be alright.

I would recommend showing either Akira or Ghost In The Shell as the first thing. Me, my brother and pretty much my entire ring of friends were introduced to anime through Ghost In The Shell, and it should possess enough action as well as "deepness" to really let first-timers on what anime is about.

Your best bet would be to go with something like InuYasha or something like that.

I'd also reccomend Detective Conan/Case Closed, but it gets a bit graphic at the murder scenes sometimes.

Dammit The, you made me lose my post.  :angry:

I was thinking about showing Akira, but I need to know that it'll be acceptable to show in front of a high school counselor, who's sponsoring the group. Hell, I'll be surprised if they let me show the last few episodes of Eva, although I will anyway.  :)

Any other suggestions?

What's wrong with the last few episodes of Eva? If anything people just won't understand them...idiots. :shifty: I'd be more concerned about the mid-range episodes...like 18 - 22.

Meh, I really should just save a word document of what to say every time someone asks about anime. I'm too tired and hungry right now to think.

For the full-on acceptable/wimpy effect, showing Prince of Tennis on the first meeting would prolly do.

Not if you want them to come back.

If faced with the requirement to make an entirely non-controversial choice, I'd personally go with Cowboy Bebop or Trigun. There is some violence, but nothing obscene (Bebop = fist fights; Trigun = Western-style shooting). Actually the first episode of Bebop does include a drug dealer who is subsequently killed...okay, go with Trigun.

If the counsellor has any reservations they'll realise what type of anime it is almost exactly 8 minutes in when Vash runs like a coward. :P

Edited by stokeriño