Finally got the anime club started at school

Jack Krauser III

You'd have to be careful with Tenchi or Lupin. Pick the wrong part and you'll have a lot of explaining to do.

Besides, I doubt a harem-anime like Tenchi Muyo (or Love Hina, or equivilent) is the best choice to make with the school consellor in mind. :shifty:

Yeah, the school counselor is a pretty good guy, I doubt he'll have a problem with most of the ones you guys listed. I think I'm going to go with GITS and then start showing Evangelion. Thanks for all the opinions guys, keep them coming for future meetings. :)

Dragonball Z

¬_¬

You're not funny.

And yeah, if you went with Tenchi or Lupin, you'd have some 'splainin to do as Stokes said. I can recall off the top of my head 3 or 4 scenes in Lupin with a certain scantily clad woman, and a few instances of Lupin getting grabby-grabby, if you will.

Tenchi, though, if you showed maybe the butchered-up Cartoon Network version... :P

Heh, I've been trying to introduce people to Furi Kuri over the past couple of months...they watch the first episode and their reaction is "What the HELL was that?!?"

So, y'know, you could try I suppose... :shifty:

Anime means Animation.

I would go with something that is the pinnacle of Animation, in not only storyline, and depth, but also in the visual.

Studying to be an Animator, you cannot pass up a Studio Ghibli film. Mainly a Miyazaki film. That is what Anime should be about.

Steer clear of series for a little while and focus on movies, it would be the best thing, in order to give variety, instead of watching the a whole series.

Ghibli has a strong range of movies, and the best to start with would be either:

Lupin III: Castle of Caligostro

Porco Rosso

They both have a good range of comedy, action, adventure, and just are brilliant in animation quality.

Castle of Caligostro, regardless of being a Miyazaki, is a positively mediocre Lupin film.

Porco Rosso, however, is brilliance.

The thing about 'watching movies to allow for greater variety' is that there aren't as a great a variety in (available) movies. Especially if you discount those movies made from series, since no-one would understand what the hell was going on anyway. The whole landscape is dominated by Miyazaki which, y'know, is great and all...but half the time you get the impression you've seen it all before.

There are MANY movies out there, you just have to look.

Don't just go for whats in English Sub. I prefer English sub in most movies, but there are some amazing ones out there which are either new, or wouldn't be big in an American (as that is what it is based on, even though Australia are taking over) market, and thus, won't be subbed and brought out.

Castle of Caligostro, regardless of being a Miyazaki, is a positively mediocre Lupin film.

It is THE BEST of the Lupin III movies.

I personally love the series, and the other movies are just very mediocre compared to Castle of Caligostro.

Magical Twlight 1-3

Urotsukidoji Legend Of The Overfiend

Wicked City

Cool Devices (the whole series)

:shifty:

Just kidding; all that stuff is hentai, and I can't see how anyone in their right mind would watch that crap. :puke:

(Actually, I have seen Wicked City, and its not really uber-hentai per se, despite a double rape scene; good movie, but I wouldn't even attempt to show it)

I'd show....

Tenchi Muyo (the OVAs; definitely steer clear of Tenchi In Tokyo, as that series is boring as hell)

Martian Successor Nadesico

Robot Carnival

Bubblegum Crisis (the original series, NOT the remake; although, you could show episodes of both to demonstrate how animation has progressed since the original series was made)

And definitely some old school anime, like the original b&w Gigantor series, 8-Man, and Astro Boy. Maybe some Gatchaman, too. (NOT Battle Of The Planets, Eagle Riders or G-Force)

Ninja Scroll is iffy; I wouldn't risk it if a teacher monitors the club, unless they don't have a problem with *some* graphic violence. If you can show Ninja Scroll, then I'd also recommend showing both Vampire Hunter D movies.

There are MANY movies out there, you just have to look.

Don't just go for whats in English Sub. I prefer English sub in most movies, but there are some amazing ones out there which are either new, or wouldn't be big in an American (as that is what it is based on, even though Australia are taking over) market, and thus, won't be subbed and brought out.

It is THE BEST of the Lupin III movies.

I personally love the series, and the other movies are just very mediocre compared to Castle of Caligostro.

I presumed his search was limited to those properly available in America. I'd hate to see him try and explain his illegal pirating habits to his school consellor otherwise. :P

Although I guess he could try importing from Singapore or something...

I found Caligostro relatively unspectacular, to be honest. Although some of the Lupin movies can be positively DIRE, which is what you get for throwing open a franchise like that.

Lupin III: Return of Pycal = The absolute WORST film...anime or otherwise...that I have EVER had the misfortune to witness. -_-

Well, I showed Ghost in the Shell today, and almost pissed myself watching it. Nudity, swearing and tons of violence I hadn't accounted for. So I'm thinking "Fuck, I'm dead". But after the metting, me and our sponsor had this conversation:

"So, I guess I should be more careful with content from now on, huh?"

He gives me a puzzled look.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't think that was innapropriate?"

"No, I didn't see anything offensive in it. It seemed okay to me."

Holy hell, I've hit the jackpot. Life is good.

:wub:

For future reference, I give the info I have learned through 3 years of running an anime club:

Reflecto's Tips To Running Your Very Own Anime Club (so sit you down and get learned!)

1) Advisors for clubs tend to not really care what you show. Usually, they're either fans, or (in my club's case), a teacher who you already have wrapped around your little finger. (Corollary for students: Get AT LEAST one teacher wrapped around your finger, either by working well in their class, humorous-yet-intelligent additions to the discussion, general skill at the subject or some mix of all of them.)

2) When choosing what you want to show, make sure to use the following views for it:

i.) What you personally want to watch

That's about it. Your school will NEVER ask for the stuff back, so what you buy for the club will most likely end up in your personal collection. Make sure you're getting what you want most for these things, as they'll be what you end up embezzling from your club when the next poor sap, er, kohei takes over for you.

3) Make liberal use of the 3 E's:

Embellish- Embellish your roster as much as possible to make yourself look bigger. I personally have managed to embellish my roster from myself to 5, or from 2 people to 10, and this year from 5 to 15 (though that was mostly to get on ADV's anime club listing and get the free anime they give out.) Embellishing is your friend.

Embezzle- We've established that getting the free anime your school pays for in your collection is a good thing.

Ecstasy- Because there's ALWAYS room for Ecstasy (as well as me not having a third E.)