NBA Playoffs Thread

ACCBiggz

Wasn't Rasheed hobbled by injury for the first 2-3 rounds? If you really think Okur is better or even equal to 'Sheed, I don't know how to show you the light. Mehmet Okur is, a guy who is good in spurts, but NOT a starter or someone who should be on the floor in the clutch.

Okur would never put the offensive pressure on a defense that Rasheed could. Even when Wallace was off, he stretched the defense since he could post, shoot 3's and take guys off the dribble. Okur is a big stiff who shoots jumpers. If you didn't have 'Sheed, Indiana would have eaten your frontcourt for lunch as O'Neal could have stood around and guarded Okur, and Okur would have been sodomized by Artest or O'Neal.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Rasheed hobbled by injury for the first 2-3 rounds? If you really think Okur is better or even equal to 'Sheed, I don't know how to show you the light. Mehmet Okur is, a guy who is good in spurts, but NOT a starter or someone who should be on the floor in the clutch.

Okur would never put the offensive pressure on a defense that Rasheed could. Even when Wallace was off, he stretched the defense since he could post, shoot 3's and take guys off the dribble. Okur is a big stiff who shoots jumpers. If you didn't have 'Sheed, Indiana would have eaten your frontcourt for lunch as O'Neal could have stood around and guarded Okur, and Okur would have been sodomized by Artest or O'Neal.

Yes Rasheed was hobbled by injuries in the first 2-3 rounds, as was Chauncey Billups. Like I said, Rasheed put us over the top, I'm not denying that. At this point in time, I'd have rather had Rasheed playing, because he is currently the better player. However, Okur's youth and intangibles make me believe that he can become a very good player in a few years. He has shown that he can shoot from anywhere on the court, hustles on the rebounds, and also plays solid defense. My arguement was simply that our role players were not the ones to walk into this situation, Rasheed was. I also stated Memo could have averaged similar stats as Sheed' did. I admit that Rasheed gave us an intangible that Memo' may not have given us. For the record, Memo' has played big time for us in the clutch when we have needed him. I'm not talking on a Michael Jordan scale, but hitting free throws and open jumpers when necesary.

I agree that longterm retaining Okur is more important than Rasheed, but to think you'd have done just as well this postseason without Rasheed is folly. I think Detroit went something like 20-4 in the regular season with him, and 34-24 without him. If you add the 16-7 mark in the playoffs that's 36-11 with Rasheed, which is 2 more wins in 11 less games than without him. That's not a happy little coincidence. Winning almost 77% of the time is more of an impact than putting up numbers that mean nothing *cough T-Mac cough*

If the Pistons don't re-sign him, you'll see just how poorly they do next season when Okur has to start, someone like Corliss Williamson gets significant minutes, and Darko is still riding the pine for another year since Larry Brown has no confidence in him.

agree that longterm retaining Okur is more important than Rasheed, but to think you'd have done just as well this postseason without Rasheed is folly. I think Detroit went something like 20-4 in the regular season with him, and 34-24 without him. If you add the 16-7 mark in the playoffs that's 36-11 with Rasheed, which is 2 more wins in 11 less games than without him. That's not a happy little coincidence. Winning almost 77% of the time is more of an impact than putting up numbers that mean nothing *cough T-Mac cough*

If the Pistons don't re-sign him, you'll see just how poorly they do next season when Okur has to start, someone like Corliss Williamson gets significant minutes, and Darko is still riding the pine for another year since Larry Brown has no confidence in him.

Ok, now we're seeing a bit more eye to eye here. Those statistics do not lie, another thing that can be said for Rasheed is that we lost 3 times to NJ before we got him. The next time we played them we won, the only time he played with us against them in the regular season.

First and foremost, I'm hoping that Corliss is no longer a part of our team next year. I enjoyed his run here, he did well, be he's obviously slowing down, and he's not quick and athletic. If for some reason Rasheed leaves, then I would develop Tayshaun, Mehmet, and Darko. I would tell Tayshaun and Memo that it's their time to shine, and let Darko come along slowly. I also think Larry needs to develop more confidence in Memo, Memo has showed flashes of brilliance, but I think he has been stifled slightly by Larry Brown. Basically I'm hoping that we can keep Rasheed, dump Corliss, use Memo as a sixth man, hope that Delfino can make an immediate impact, and pray that Darko shows some signs of life.

Guest StreetzHopin

HAHAHAHA, just got back from chillin in FLA watchin the Pistons dismantle the Fakers..... wheres the dumbasses now that said the Pistons had no chance, and that Larry brown will never be a championship claibur coach(Naiwf & sycodm), hate to say i said so, but yo asses already knows it.....

HAHAHAHA, just got back from chillin in FLA watchin the Pistons dismantle the Fakers..... wheres the dumbasses now that said the Pistons had no chance, and that Larry brown will never be a championship claibur coach(Naiwf & sycodm), hate to say i said so, but yo asses already knows it.....

Umm, actually, I never said that the Pistons had no chance, and I've never questioned Brown's ability to coach.

Just go away pacavelli.