Final Fantasy X-2

Liam

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a lover of FFX, I did feel compelled to at least give FFX-2 a fair shot, so I borrowed my friend's copy of the game.

The answer is no, for the love of God no. Unless you enjoy watching them shit on everything that made FFX great.

It was and still is a huge let down for me. I've still got it literally brand new from the day it came out, I still haven't played it hardly as I refuse to do so until I complete FFX, which is taking me about three years. I did test try it out though and it just seemed way too different, to girly as well for my liking.

I think the problem is, the game needed to be better than FFX and for me that was always going to be hard as I still see FFX as like the greatest game I've ever played. I wouldn't say X-2 is shit, but compared to how great it could have been it really does seem a let down.

Just replay the entire story of FFX :)

I liked FF X-2...but then again I've liked every game I've ever played, and I've played Plok for God's sake.

I thought they did a nice job of tying things to the original story, as well as introducing new characters. Good endings, worth seeing in my opinion.

At least give it a rental.

Well, if I can buy if for £15 (which you can do now) or cheaper 2nd hand, I'll pick it up. I like a good RPG, but most outside the FF series don't interest me.

Any other good RPG's (just in case something out there is better)?

Dark Chronicle (aka Dark Cloud 2 in the US) or Disgaea. In that order. Both are awesome, certainly compared to FFX-2.

Should they be easy to find? Also, what kinda RPG we looking at? I mean, fantasy, realistic, turn based, real time, etc etc.

Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2 is fantasy. Disgaea is like a strategy RPG.

And anyway, on FFX-2, I loathed that game. I rented it after beating Xenosaga: Episode I and at first, after the concert at the beginning, I was like "yay! on-screen enemies!" Then I went to do some other missions and found out that it was still random battles. I got pissed with it on the first day I had it and just had mom take it back the next day.

Dark Chronicle:

B00009MGDH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A bitch to find, actually. I don't know why, but your best bet is searching the Used Games sections at GAME etc...I found my copy in an e-Play shop. It's infuriating, but at least you should keep an eye open for it should you come across it in the future.

The combat is more of the Real Time 'run-around-and-wok-things' type of deal, rather than the turn-based FFX style. However it has lots of other aspects to it, such as the building of villages/labratories/etc. in order to change the future and allow yourself to travel into it. Rather than try and explain it all, I shall just point you towards the multitude of reviews on Amazon.co.uk here.

Disgaea:

B00023HUJE.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Perfectly easy to find, available most places that have a half-decent stock of games.

The combat is a Turn Based Isometric variety that relies on strategy more than anything else. Have you played Final Fantasy Tactics? That sort of thing.

There is huge scope in this game for weapon customisation, character customisation, and so on. The voices drive me nuts but it has it's own quirky little sense of humour that sometimes makes me chuckle, e.g.:

Evil Demon Guy with Flouncy Name: "Ah, so you thought me to be your biggest threat and sought me out first, right? How very perceptive of you."

Laharl (you): "I don't give a damn who you are, you just happened to be the first guy we ran into. In fact, from now on your name is 'Mid-Boss'."

Demon: "Wh-what...?"

*the subtitle of his name changes to 'Mid-Boss'*

Mid-Boss: "NO! DAMN IT! YOU CAN'T CALL ME MID-BOSS!!"

Uh...yeah. Amazon Reviews here.

Cheers Stokerino!

Last question...how recent are these? As in, if I pick them up in a shop somewhere, I don't wanna be paying loads of money for them really...I'm cheap.

That Disgeaa (sp?) looks pretty good. Might have to buy that. Not as sure about Dark Cloud, but if I can find it cheap, might get both.

Oh I love being a working lad...:P

Edited by ebannawdvr

Disgaea is just under a year old...most places will probably have it around £29.99, but Play.com has it £14.99 delivered. 'Nuff said.

Dark Chronicle is more like a year and a half old, but is a little iffier because although you're most likely to find it only in the Used section, its comparative rarity means it's not going to be uber-cheap. I got my copy for something like £22. Amazon Marketplace Sellers have it for about £23 (the £19.99 one is an NTSC version), and it doesn't even show up on Play.com. Bastards.

Edited by stokeriño

Disgaea is just under a year old...most places will probably have it around £29.99, but Play.com has it £14.99 delivered. 'Nuff said.

Dark Chronicle is more like a year and a half old, but is a little iffier because although you're most likely to find it only in the Used section, its comparative rarity means it's not going to be uber-cheap. I got my copy for something like £22. Amazon Marketplace Sellers have it for about £23 (the £19.99 one is an NTSC version), and it doesn't even show up on Play.com. Bastards.

Cheers man. As I said, I might just check out that Disgaea...at £15, can't really go wrong!

FFX-2 - the giant that never was. I'm in two minds about this game, as a Final Fantasy fanboy, I mark for all things Final Fantasy, this being no exception. There are some aspects I really liked, they added a ton of sub things to do, and linked them with the previous game, and the Dress sphere thing was...very unique and brought a twist to the game (whether it needed it or not is an entirely differant matter. The gameplay itself, is.....crap. Put simply, its crap. They've made the game into a Disney incarnation of itself, Lets empower everyone with a sing-song? Fuck off. And the story is diabolical, while there are a few markout moments (I, for one, am a Paine mark), it revolves around an absolutely shit plot, and while not trying to spoil anything, has no real twists in it what-so-ever. And one last huge gripe, if you ignore all of the side quests, you can complete the game in about 15 hours maximum. Its so short its unreal. And incredibly easy. Much easier than any of the other games.

Should you get it? No. Its unique. But unique in the sense thats its the only Final Fantasy that can be deemed pretty shit. They took a risk with this game, and it didnt pay off. Spend your money elsewhere.

Guest Grapehead

I... just want the story. I felt a lack of closure at the end of FFX, so I thought maybe X-2 would offer me closure, but I've yet to get through it, it's just so mind-numbingly crap.

That said, you should play Parasite Eve... I just got both PE games and strategy guides for $35 used. They are PS1 games, and you might have already played them, but if not, they're sweet as hell. Made my Squaresoft too, so you know it's good(heh).

Put it simply, it's easy, but it's worth it if you have the money and a few days to spare, make sure to get 100% it's a lot more fun. I can't understand what everyones problem with it was aside from the length, I thought the gameplay and storyline was quite smart.

My best guess is that since there were nine FF's before it without sequels to tie up the loose ends, X-2 in a way bastardized X, because everyone knew from the opener why it was released (to cash in on the sales of FFX and give everyone a nice, warm, happy ending).

Guest Grapehead

My best guess is that since there were nine FF's before it without sequels to tie up the loose ends, X-2 in a way bastardized X, because everyone knew from the opener why it was released (to cash in on the sales of FFX and give everyone a nice, warm, happy ending).

The only issue I had with FFX's ending, was the things that weren't explained, and there wasn't enough to warrant another game... and then... the second game doesn't appear to answer ANY of those questions. Perhaps I missed something the first 4 times I beat FFX though.

What wasn't explained in FFX's ending? Aside from the random bit after the credits where it hints at Tidus maybe having come back...which was done entirely for the purposes of the sequel. Before that, as far as I can recall, everything was perfectly fine and sorted.