Official Monte Carlo Masters Thread.

FLiam

So, clay masters starts tomorrow.

Should be interesting, Federer's worst surface, but I really want him to win, it would be great to see him win all 9 this year, unlikely, but would be an amazing thing to see.

I don't think Coria will defend, I see him losing in a semi, maybe to Canas who is playing well this year.

Your thoughts and predictions?

You're a moron and Coria will win :D.

There are a lot of good clay players though among Coria such as the aforementioned Canas, then there's Moya, Ferrero, Guga, Ferrer and then all your other Spanish, Argentinian and French guys who are just masterful on clay this is why I don't think Federer will win Monte Carlo, and if he does why he won't win Rome, Hamburg or the Slam on clay. Oh and Nadal :P

As I speak Coria has just won 3 straight games gone 4-3 up in the second set against Mathieu after winning the first 6-2. It looks like Coria will be one of the first into Round 2 but who else can you see following him?

Also with Roddick out, Safin takes 2nd seed - how do you think Safin will fair?

And the age old statement "Henman will lose" looks rather possible with the chance of meeting Coria in the Quarter finals. Either way, I think he'll have a good run on clay like he did last year but lose late on and then be ridiculed by the English press and non-tennis fans for longer.

Coria has 2 points to go 5-3 up as I post this now. Some really good rallies I must say, I've always been a big fan of clay and would love to play on it at some time as I think my own personal game would be rather suited to clay, or so I'm told, although my coach says he thinks I wouldn't be as good because of my sudden improvement.

5-3 now, new balls but I can't see Coria losing this match because if he does lose this next game, then he's going to hold serve for the match I'd expect.

Possible Matches (as by seed)

1. Federer vs. 13. Ancic

10. Davydenko vs. 7. J. Johansson

4. Gaudio vs. 16. Stepanek

11. Nadal vs. 8. Ljubicic

6. Coria vs. 12. T. Johansson

14. Hrabty vs. 3. Henman

6. Moya vs. 9. Canas

16. Novak vs. 2. Safin

I'd say the bottom quarter is the hardest, but we all know nothing really goes as planned in tennis unless your Federer or something.

Coria lost his game to 15, and is 0-15 down on his serve. Come on Guille!

So, Gooner, naiwf and Malenko..discuss :D

EDIT: Well that was pathetic, broken to 15. Oh well, come on Guille! 5-5.

Edited by IAceI

I can't discuss it yet. I haven't seen any of it :( I don't know if i'll get it in any channel which is strange since they show almost every tournament, well-known or little-known. The 3 channels i get that usually show them haven't show anything yet :(

Anyway, It will probably be a Spanish or Argentinian to win in the end. I'm hoping the latter. To be honest, although i think Federer will go far, he won't win on clay.

I don't think I'll be able to watch any of this as it doesn't seem to have a TV schedule listed anywhere that I could see. I'm not a huge fan of the clay court game anyway so it's not a huge loss. I'd expect a Spaniard or an Argentinian to win since they always seem to though. Anyone but Coria is fine by me though :devil:

Tim Henman sucks.

He really should be beating this guy. Even though he has already played 4 tournaments on clay this year to Henman's zero. But Henman should still be winning.

I am still picking Federer to win the whole thing, him or Safin.

Well, I didn't really want to know Henman had won or lost for some reason but I still came in this thread. Sucks that he's out because he is a pretty good player and can perform well, and did so on clay more than ever last year.

Guga is out to Ancic, I knew he was returning from injury but...it's Guga :-\.

Coria will win the whole thing :D

EDIT: Argh! I give up on Moya, he's 5-2 down in the third to Puerta! PUERTA!! To be fair to Puerta he's been playing amazing but sheesh Moya, I thought you were a top 10 player, time and again he loses to players he would be expected to beat, but on clay!? Wow.

SECOND EDIT: Moya lost. Dick.

Edited by IAceI

Federer lost :angry:, so it's Gasquet, Coria, Ferrero and Nadal/Gaudio in the Semis. Can't say I really like any of those guys save Nadal, so I'm hoping Rafael wins.

At least I got to watch Venus Williams get dominated by Tatiana Golovin yesterday. . . before blaming her defeat on "mental fatigue from playing so much". Just another reminder of why I hate the Williams sisters, who never lose "legitimately" except when they play each other. I can't wait for them to retire.