Chelsea thread

G-O-D

Mourinho fires Man Utd feud

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit back at Sir Alex Ferguson's claim that money does not buy titles - by reminding him of Porto's win over Manchester United.

Ferguson said Chelsea would not be able to buy the Premiership and Mourinho, in charge of Porto last term, said: "I agree money doesn't buy points.

"If you go back a few months in the Champions League, Porto, with 10% of United's budget, beat them.

"So he's absolutely correct. Money buys players but not a team."

Mourinho is aware of the immense pressure to land the title in his first season in charge at Stamford Bridge but knows it will be a formidable task.

Chief executive Peter Kenyon 

He added: "It's really difficult, because people think we're spending money the others aren't spending.

"Arsenal have worked with their manager for seven years, Manchester United for 18 years and me for 18 days, so it's a big difficulty.

"But I've told the players we must fight every match to win these things."

Meanwhile, Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has increased the pressure on Mourinho by saying he wants the Blues to become "the biggest club in the world".

After finishing second last season they have bought in Mateja Kezman, Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Paulo Ferreira, Didier Drogba and Tiago.

Kenyon said: "We intend to build on the foundation of last season and move into a period where we win trophies regularly.

"We also want to build our business on stronger financial grounds and turn Chelsea into the number one club in the world - on and off the field.

"We hope that new fans from all over the globe, starting with America, will loyally follow our fortunes and we are committed to bringing the success they desire."

BURN~!!!

This is becoming so petty that it's quite hilarious. :lol:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not content with putting pen to paper on a deal with Chelsea for the next five years, England international Frank Lampard would be happy to see out his career with The Blues.

The former West Ham midfielder showed his class in Euro 2004 this summer with his displays attracting interest from around Europe in his services.

Lampard's current deal will take him through to 31, but the goal-scoring midfielder is already looking to see out his playing days at Stamford Bridge.

"I didn't have any doubts about re-signing because ever since I came here I've enjoyed playing at Stamford Bridge," said Lampard.

"The relationship with the fans has been fantastic and I didn't want to go anywhere else.

"I'm a London boy and I wanted to keep playing for Chelsea. To play here for the rest of my career would make me a happy man."

Source

Glad to see Lampard extend his contract. He will be needed if we are to win the Premiership.

Celtic 2-4 Chelsea

Mateja Kezman scored twice as Chelsea began the Champions World Series with victory over Celtic in Seattle.

Chelsea went ahead through Alexei Smertin's unstoppable left-foot drive but the impressive Craig Beattie hit back for Celtic before half-time.

However, Eidur Gudjohnsen converted Arjen Robben's cross before the striker turned provider as Kezman made it 3-1.

Beattie's header gave Celtic hope, but Kezman struck from close range to seal victory for Jose Mourinho's side.

The Champions World Series features 11 friendly matches in eight venues across the United States, including the likes of Manchester United, AC Milan and Liverpool.

And in the opening game it took Chelsea just 22 minutes to take the lead, when Smertin smashed the ball past Magnus Hedman, having been put clear by Adrian Mutu.

Beattie equalised five minutes later, finding the gap under goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini with a low shot.

Gudjohnsen took just five minutes after the restart to put his side ahead, finding the top-left corner of the Celtic net.

Kezman, who joined the club from PSV Eindhoven for an undisclosed fee earlier this month, then took control of the game in the second half.

His first goal came in the 53rd minute when Kezman beat Hedman having been sent goal-bound by Gudjohnsen's volley.

Hezman made it two 20 minutes later courtesy of a telling ball by defender Glen Johnson.

Prior to Hezman completing his brace, Beattie added a second, heading home a rebound from Bobby Petta's 68th-minute penalty.

But it was not enough to bring Celtic back into contention.

(BBC.co.uk)

Kezman continues to look like he could make a significant impact this season. Him and Gudjohnson as the starting pair up front would be my choice. And how much did he cost? Only £5m? I say it again: Fuck Drogba.

I also get the impression that Smertin is playing really well in midfield. Think he should be the one starting next to Lampard? Or if not, who else?

(BBC.co.uk)

Kezman continues to look like he could make a significant impact this season. Him and Gudjohnson as the starting pair up front would be my choice. And how much did he cost? Only £5m? I say it again: Fuck Drogba.

I also get the impression that Smertin is playing really well in midfield. Think he should be the one starting next to Lampard? Or if not, who else?

Parker-Lampard? Makelele-Lampard? Tiago-Lampard?

Seriously, there are so many combinations it's not even funny. One of them is bound to get upset at the lack of first team chances, I tell ya.

Although Mourinho seems to be sticking with the Smertin-Lampard pairing...

Kezman in big kick-off fear

Chelsea's Mateja Kezman could miss the start of the season after being sent off in their Champions World Series win over AS Roma in Pittsburgh.

Kezman, who had scored after 63 minutes, was sent off after an incident involving former Leeds midfielder Olivier Dacourt three minutes later.

Joe Cole had given Jose Mourinho's side the perfect start with a well-taken 11th minute goal.

Didier Drogba marked his debut with Chelsea's third goal after 68 minutes.

Chelsea signalled their intentions from kick-off and it was no surprise when they took the lead.

Cole laid the ball up field to Geremi, who sent a lovely lofted pass forwards and Cole showed great strength to allow the ball to run on before dispatching it past Carlo Zotti with a left-foot finish.

Mourinho made six changes during the interval, which handed Drogba his debut in place of Gudjohnsen.

The impressive Cole was substituted for Frank Lampard, William Gallas for Glen Johnson, Wayne Bridge for Celestine Babayaro and Alexei Smertin for Claude Makelele, while Robben replaced Scott Parker.

Both Smertin and Drogba had chances to extend Chelsea's lead but they did not have long to wait for the second goal.

On 63 minutes, Dutch winger Robben charged down the left flank and cut the ball back to Kezman, who made no mistake from six yards as he notched up his fourth goal during pre-season.

But the match erupted moments later when Dacourt hacked down Robben as the Chelsea midfielder surged past him.

Kezman, who played alongside the Dutchman with PSV, immediately ran over to square up to Dacourt.

The pair grappled and had to be separated by their team-mates and match officials before both receiving red cards.

No sooner had play resumed when Chelsea went 3-0 up as Drogba slotted home from close range as he followed up Lampard's 30-yard shot which was spilled by Zotti.

bbc.co.uk/football

:angry:

I may just be ignorant of the appropriate rules - but domestic bannings for friendlies played against international teams in a foreign country? Since when?!?

Just got my ticket for the Zola Tribute match this Sunday. :D Apparently Chelsea TV have advertised the opposition as being Marseille, although the website hasn't confirmed anything yet.

With the luck-of-the-draw due to my amazing Non-Member status (what, I'm a cheap-ass student, I can't afford membership, let alone a f'n season ticket), this time I find myself in the Lower West Stand, Row 02, seat 004.

Well, that should be......interesting. :shifty:

:angry:

I may just be ignorant of the appropriate rules - but domestic bannings for friendlies played against international teams in a foreign country? Since when?!?

Since forever. It's just the way it works, if you get sent off in a club friendly then you get a domestic ban. Otherwise teams from lower leagues who aren't in European competition could get away with it.

Kezman ban overturned

Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman has escaped a three-match suspension after The Football Association upheld his appeal for wrongful dismissal.

Kezman was sent off during The Blues' 3-0 victory over Roma on the pre-season trip to the United States after a clash with Olivier Dacourt.

Though he was banned for the final game of the Champions World Series against Milan, Kezman was also hit with a domestic suspension.

But Chelsea felt their summer signing was harshly treated after The FA acted upon the referee's report sent by the US Soccer Federation and lodged an appeal.

At a disciplinary commission hearing, the ban was overturned and Kezman will not serve any additional punishment.

The Serbo-Montenegrin would have been suspended for the Premiership meetings with Birmingham City, Crystal Palace and Southampton.

Kezman will now be able to commence his competitive Chelsea career in the knowledge it will not be immediately interrupted after the opening game against Manchester United on Sunday.

What a total and utter pile of crap. He should be suspended. He got sent off for perfectly valid reasons, namely POUNCING on Dacourt! I can't believe this...

Oh stop whinging.

If the FA saw fit to overturn the ban then that's their prerogative. He's endured a one match ban already (the final game in the US), and if they felt no more was necessary then they have their reasons.

There appeal was 'for wrongful dismissal, and anyone who saw it knows it was a just and fair decision. The way they originally tried to claim he had fulfilled the ban in pre-season was rubbish as well. No decision had been made over the ban at that point, and Chelsea thought they could get away with it.

All I'm saying is, how did he get away with it? If I could here a valid reason as to why the ban was overturned, I'd be fine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Surprised no-ones commented on Mourinho's crybaby outburst after the draw with Spurs, surely he knows that defending is a perfectly legal and intelligent tactic, he'll need to sort out his temper if he wants to avoid a heart attack this season.

Thing that annoyed me more than anything about his outburst is the fact that Chelsea do the same thing! They sit back and defend for half the game anyway! They've started to change their tactics now, but they did just defend non-stop.

Personally, I'm really not bothered if Chelsea are only winning games 1-0, at least they're winning.

But come the 75th minute in the Boro games, I thought it was going to be another 0-0. Thanks heavens for big Didier :D.