Chelsea thread

G-O-D

Real tip Carlos for Chelsea

Real Madrid defender Roberto Carlos is set to join Chelsea for £20m, according to the Spanish club's director of football Jorge Valdano.

The 31-year-old is reportedly set to sign a deal which will see his wages double to £120,000 per week.

"We're waiting for a fax from Chelsea confirming they will pay the £20m fee in order to complete the deal," Valdano told Spanish daily sports paper AS.

Carlos, however, has been sending out mixed messages about his future.

He was quoted by BBC Radio Brazil as saying that he was about to leave but after Madrid's 4-1 defeat by Real Sociedad he seemed to change his mind.

"I want to stay at Real Madrid and I think my situation will be sorted out in the next 20 days," he said.

"I am certain I will be here next season. I need a rest now, because I have had a lot of years playing a lot of games.

"I will go home to Brazil on Tuesday, my lawyer will call the club and he will sort things out."

Carlos was part of a Madrid side that has just completed a dismal season.

They lost their last five matches of the campaign to finish fourth which led to the dismissal of Carlos Queiroz.

(bbc.co.uk/football)

The player says no but Real Madrid's director of football says yes?

:blink:

Strange...but I'd be pleased if he did come. Carlos and Bridge is a better choice than Bridge and Babayaro.

Edited by stokeriño

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, that is a poor signing. 20m for a 31 year old, who will give you maybe one year of service. I can imaigne loads of people who have only seen his free kick against France are having an orgasm right now, he is, in my opinion, the most overated defender in the world, why sign him when you have Wayne Bridge? Bridge is so much better than Carlos, his tackle % is way better than Carlos', yeh, Carlos is good going foward but you need someone who is good at defending too, Bridge is OK going foward and brillaint defensively. Hopefully this means Bridge will get unhappy he doesn't play and leaves. You apparently want Davids now too, once again, you don't need him.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Mourinho: It's Chelsea

Porto coach Jose Mourinho has revealed for the first time that he wants to join Chelsea this summer, it has emerged.

The Champions League-winning boss has become Europe's most wanted coach after the success of his team over the past two seasons.

Chelsea, whose current boss Claudio Ranieri is widely expected to leave the club this summer, are among the clubs believed to be chasing Mourinho.

'I have some offers in my wallet, but one which I very much want to accept, which is that from Chelsea,' Mourinho told Portuguese channel Sport TV.

Until this assertion, Mourinho had been coy about his future, refusing to name the clubs who have been courting him.

The 41-year-old has for more than a year been widely regarded as one of the world's best young coaches, a reputation which was enhanced by Porto's 3-0 win over Monaco in Wednesday's Champions League final at Gelsenkirchen.

He was expected to let the dust settle after arguably the club's greatest ever victory, which followed their European Cup triumph of 1987 and UEFA Cup win last year.

Speaking immediately after Wednesday's final, Mourinho would not confirm that Chelsea were among the clubs interested in his services.

He said: ``The country where I want to work next is England, and I haven't changed my mind about that.

``The club I gave my word to I would be favourite to go - I don't change my mind.

``I cannot speak about Chelsea because I really don't know, but I know that my agent has a few things in his pocket, and he has showed what's in his pocket to the Porto board and what the choices are.''

Mourinho still feels passionately about Porto, the club he turned from an under-performing side into one which has won two league titles, the Portuguese Cup, the UEFA Cup and now the Champions League, and wants to part on good terms.

He added on Wednesday evening: ``I still have a contract for two years but I would like to leave Porto, I am being completely frank and I want to talk to my chairman, to my board. I am going to open up to my chairman to try and sort out my professional career.

``It's almost for sure my last match, we made history but I have to keep working and trying to get success in my next step. This is the best way to finish my career with Porto - in two and half years we have won everything.

``Yes, England is the country I would like to go to, though I have a few contacts with other countries, especially Italy. I will be almost for sure going to England.''

Porto would not want to lose Mourinho at this stage, but they appear powerless to stop him leaving, particularly as they could not hope to match the salary he would expect to receive in the Premiership.

It had been suggested that Liverpool were preparing to swoop for Mourinho as replacement for Gerard Houllier.

But Chelsea have several advantages over their Anfield rivals, not least the millions which owner Roman Abramovich has pumped into the club since arriving last summer.

They have also secured automatic entry to next season's Champions League by finishing second in the Premiership, whereas Liverpool came fourth and must go through qualifying.

Mourinho seems set on moving to Chelsea, which puts the emphasis on the powers that be at Stamford Bridge to make the next move. 

Source

Well, everyone expected it anyways, so, no surprises here.

Is it just me or does EVERY Chelsea fan want Ranieri to stay? I haven't heard anyone say they wanted Mourinho. I hope Ranieri stays in Britain, he's a ruddy nice bloke.

Many of us do want Ranieri to stay, but the matter is out of our hands. We are pretty much resigned to the fact that Ranieri will be leaving us with Mourinho at the helm next season.

Let's hope it's not a bad move by Abramovich.

Guest Blads

My, My where would the papers be without Abramovich.

You can post as many stories as you like people, and maybe 1 in 10 will be true.

Ranieri has booked his place in Chelsea folklore just alongside Luca Vialli and Gianfranco Zola. Unfortunetly we have impatient men at the top these days, not that Bates ever had the patience of a saint (sack our most successful manager in the clubs history, smooth move mate). The memories I take out of the season don't just extend to watching us destroy Lazio in Rome and then put five past the Toon four days later, or watching THAT goal by Bridgey, there are other moments which stand just as proud; the way we sung through the final and extremely painful minutes and beyond against Monaco after the team gave everything they had and then some, the way Ranieri responded to the taunting by the Charlton fans - all in good humour as ever, the way he came out of his box to appluad the Chelsea fans midway through the second half as his name rung around the stadium and the most precious memory of all....watching the painfully uncomfortable look on Kenyon's face as his victim received the most emotional of fairwells from both supporters and players, to a Chelsea legend. If Kenyon wants to kill all that then there isn't much more we can do. I have a little hope, but not much.

We may not have won anything, but destroying Wenger's treble dream, finishing above Fergie, being a genuine title contendor and a renewed sense of optimisim doesn't really add up to anything other than one hell of a season.

Still, I'll still be there next season, rain or shine, Russian or no Russian, Ranners or no Ranners.

But with Chelsea having so much money and spending so much, they were expected to do so much better. IMO it wasn't a great season for them. Yeah they did good compared to other seasons, but with the team they have they can do so much better. If they win nothing next season, then it proves money can't win cups :mellow:

Adriano Galliani met with Roman Abramovich in Milan on Thursday but vehemently denies there were any discussions about players, as does Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon.

Milan's chief officer sat down with the Chelsea owner amid suspicions that the Russian billionaire is weighing up a massive bid for one of the Rossoneri's newly-crowned champions.

Andrei Shevchenko's decision to sign a new contract at least kept the Ukrainian out of the equation but rumours are still rife that Chelsea will attempt to raid Milan, even though counter suggestions have intimated that the Serie A winners are keen on England's Frank Lampard.

"Nothing in particular happened," Galliani told reporters afterwards. "We have only spoken about football in general.

"Milan keep their players and Chelsea too. I swear we have not spoken about players."

Kenyon, who was also at the meeting, maintained the same stance when questioned on the nature of the meeting, denying he was in Italy to discuss Juan Sebastian Veron's possible move to Internazionale.

"On this occasion, we went only to meet Milan," Kenyon is quoted as saying in the Italian media.

"We have known Milan's officials for some time and we respect them.

"It was a general meeting and we have absolutely not spoken about players."

Nevertheless, expect something to come out of the discussions at a later date.

Source

They met just to discuss football and not players? Sounds rather farfetched to me. If Milan want Veron, I'll be happy to see him go to Milan, as long as we get someone like Shevchenko or Kaka in return.

Guest Blads

Chelsea have had a 17 Million pound bid for Didier Drogba turned down, thank God. This guy has fifty times more attitude than Hasselbaink and will only score half the goals Jimmy has scored.

If we're to buy one striker this year, make sure it's someone who will stick the ball in the back of the net with every game, someone like Fernando Torres.

Morientes, Drogba and Ronaldo can all stay where they are.

Guest Blads

Becuase we already have too many 'superstars'. Real Madrid are finding out the hard wa that big stars doesn't always eqaute to success. The best strikers in the Prem come over here not as world superstars, Van Nistelrooy wasn't a superstar, Henry was struggling on the left flank and Hasselbaink wasn't exactly a huge name either, people only knew him because of his time at Leeds.

Plus Torres is nineteen and hungry to acheive things, which lets face it, he's not going to do at Atletico. Ronaldo has done it all and I'd expect to come with an over-enflated ego.

You haven't seen it? It's EVERYWHERE!!

*Checks BBC Football*

Nope

*Checks Soccernet*

Nuh-uh

*Checks some random Arsenal fansite*

Zip

*Checks Sky Sports*

Not a trace...I think I should quit now while I'm ahead.

Edited by stokeriño

Guest Blads

And why would he want to leave Milan exactly? Plus Wenger said your not spending any more money in the summer :P

Ranieri is still in charge this morning B)