Chelsea thread

G-O-D

Well, Chelsea have reported to have made a move for Roberto Carlos.

Real Madrid and Brazil defender Roberto Carlos claims he has had an offer from Chelsea but still hopes to win a new deal with the deposed Spanish champions.

The World Cup winner, one of six 'galacticos' on the books at the Bernabeu, insists his heart still lies with Madrid who conceded their Spanish title to Valencia at the weekend.

The 31-year-old told Onda Cero radio station that his advisers had been contacted by Chelsea.

'I have not spoken directly with anybody but people from Chelsea spoke to my lawyers,' he said.

It is reported that the London club were offering a three-year deal worth £4million a year.

The former Inter Milan player said he hoped to remain with Madrid.

He said: 'I'm happy here and people know that.

'My aim is to keep playing until I am 38 and I want to spend five of those in Madrid and then the last two in Brazil with Santos.'

However, his present deal expires in 2005 and Carlos admitted that he expected the club to move from their present position in negotiations.

'I want a four-year contract,' he explained. 'The club have given me two options but I want to hold out for four years.

'I want to speak to (director of football Jorge) Valdano and the president (Florentino Perez) next week and sort out my future before going on holiday.'

Source

Personally, I don't think we need Carlos. He's a good player, but he's too old. Furthermore, we already have Bridge, and Melchiot makes a decent backup for the left back position.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carlos would be a good signing but i kinda think Chelsea have enough good players without needing to sign him and theve proved thta by finishing second in the league and having a great chapions league cup run, hopefully they won't go on a spending spree again this season as it will probally upset the team, they need to concentrate on giving players like Joe cole a few games.

Expect many names to appear in this thread over next few months, as the speculation is going to be crazy!

Roma midfielder Emerson has revealed he is still a Chelsea target.

But the 28-year-old Brazilian admitted Chelsea were not prepared to pay as much for him as they would have done last year.

"I have had many offers but I will have to take a decision with the club," Emerson said.

"Chelsea are still interested but it's not the same figures as last year. The possibility still exists but it's not the same financial terms."

He added: "A year ago I had a very high offer from Chelsea but after speaking to the president Franco Sensi, he decided that it was better to turn it down so I decided to remain at Roma.

"The club have given me permission to listen to several offers. It's not just my decision, but one for me and the club."

Roma are currently short of cash and because Emerson only has one year left on his current deal the club are likely to try and cash in before he becomes a free agent.

Emerson is considered to be one of the finest holding midfielders in the world, along with the likes of Arsenal's Patrick Vieira and Claude Makelele, who is already at Chelsea.

The Blues are not short of midfield options, with Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Juan Sebastian Veron and Makelele battling for the two central midfield berths.

Another speculated rumour to put in your pipe and smoke it.

To be honest I don't think Chelsea need Carlos or Emerson.

If Chelsea buy a lot of players every summer they will continue to have "transitional years" every year. They need to become a unit and a team that can play together and they will start to do even better than this year.

Eriksson heaps praise on Ranieri

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has praised Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri for the way he has handled all the speculation over his future.

Ranieri is widely expected to leave Stamford Bridge in the summer despite steering the Blues to the Barclaycard Premiership runners-up spot and the Champions League semi-finals.

A number of candidates have been linked with the Chelsea managerial post including Eriksson, who even met Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon for talks.

The Swede has since agreed a new contract with the Football Association but Ranieri's hold on his job has continued to look shaky, with Porto's Jose Mourinho now hotly tipped to take over.

Eriksson told Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday programme: 'It has been a difficult season but I must say he has done a great job - second in the league and reaching the semis in the Champions League, it has been a great season.

'But I think he is used to this (speculation). He is Italian and every day in Italy there are rumours. I think he is handling it very well.'

On his own links with the Chelsea post, Eriksson added: 'I think it was important when the speculation came out to kill it and I signed a long contract.

'It was important it stopped before Euro 2004. Had it dragged on it would have spoiled a big tournament and made it impossible.'

Two of the players set to feature in England's campaign in Portugal are Frank Lampard and John Terry, who have both been key figures in Chelsea's season.

Eriksson has been impressed by both and said: 'Those two players have taken a step up as players and human beings.

'Lampard has been absolutely fantastic. I think the move from West Ham to Chelsea has been important. He has been playing in Europe for three years and he is ready.

'I hope he goes on like that in Portugal. I hope he will not be too tired because he has played in nearly all the games. He does a lot of attacking and scores goals as well.

'Terry is another one playing almost all the games.

'A defender needs to be able to defend if he is to play in central defence in the European Championship.

'Ideally he would have the feet of (Franz) Beckenbauer as well but firstly he needs to be able to defend and have a good reading of the game. He (Terry) has that and that is important.'

- ESPNSoccernet.com

Despite him also praising Terry and Lampard, there's something about Sven praising Claudio for the way he handled the speculation, that HE caused a significant portion of, that just makes me dislike him even more than I already did.

Though knowing me, I'm probably just overreacting.

I can't see Chelsea ever challenging 'realistically' for the title if they keep going out in the summer and going into a mass buy-everyone mode.

As TheArsenal said, they'll have to have a 'transitional year' every year, and I reckon Abramovic will just get bored eventually and bugger off with his billions and leave you up shit's creak without a paddle.

On his own links with the Chelsea post, Eriksson added: 'I think it was important when the speculation came out to kill it and I signed a long contract.

That's a laugh and a half. The speculation went on all season, and I don't remember him coming straight out and denying it. He only signed his new contract last month didn't he?

A couple of Chelsea articles I picked up from the BBC website:

Kenyon gives Ranieri hope

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon told supporters on Tuesday that the Premiership club had not yet decided the fate of manager Claudio Ranieri.

Press speculation has mounted that the popular Italian will be replaced by Porto coach Jose Mourinho when the season ends.

Speaking at a fans' dinner at Stamford Bridge, Kenyon said: "Claudio has got three years on his contract.

"There's been no decision taken and there's been no one appointed."

In recent weeks even Ranieri, who led Chelsea to second in the league and the semi-finals of the Champions League, has indicated that he did not expect to be kept on.

But club chairman Bruce Buck said a decision on who will manage Chelsea next season will be taken in the next few weeks and denied any deals had been reached with other coaches.

Several supporters heckled Kenyon, accusing him of undermining Ranieri.

But the former Manchester United chief executive defended himself, saying: "Through all this period we've conducted discussions on an on-going basis with Claudio."

Kenyon also said the club would buy a few players and lose a few during the summer but would not be drawn on who his targets were nor how much the club had to spend.

He did, however, insist that England midfielder Frank Lampard would be staying, despite reports that he may go to Manchester United.

Former chairman Ken Bates, who resigned earlier this year, was given a warm welcome by fans but had some barbed exchanges with his successors.

Birmingham to get Gronkjaer

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce is set to sign Chelsea's Jesper Gronkjaer in a £1.2m deal, BBC Sport understands.

Bruce has already been linked to moves for Liverpool striker Emile Heskey and Leicester's Muzzy Izzet and has agreed to extend Mikael Forssell's loan deal.

And he will now spend again on Danish midfielder Gronkjaer, who cost Chelsea almost £8m four years ago.

Gronkjaer, who has one year left on his Stamford Bridge contract, is tipped to make way for new signing Arjen Robben.

The Dane has struggled to hold down a regular place in the Chelsea midfield this year and will sign at the end of the season.

And he has frustrated fans with inconsistent performances, even if he has occasionally dazzled with wonder goals like that against Manchester United this month.

1. Shyeah right.

2. Goddamn, I like Gronkjaer. And £1.2m? If it actually happens, that's a real bargain for Birmingham.

Veron eager to leave Stamford Bridge

Juan Sebastian Veron has told Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon he wants the leave Stamford Bridge, according to the player's agent.

The Argentinian midfielder has struggled to make an impact at Chelsea since his £15million move from Manchester United last summer and has been linked with a move to Italian giants Inter Milan.

'He met Kenyon and told him that he wants to be sold,' Veron's agent Fernando Hidalgo told The Guardian.

'He would love to return to Italy where he has his best memories as a player.'

Veron yesterday responded to speculation linking him with Inter by admitting he would relish the challenge of joining the Serie A giants.

'There is that possibility, but we have to wait until the end of the season to see who will coach Inter. My availability is there.

'It's a lifestyle choice, although I am happy in London and happy at Chelsea.

'It would be stimulating to play for Inter as it's many years since the club have won a big title.'

Source

You know what Veron? Chelsea is eager to get rid of you too.

Veron has never seemed to settle in English football, his run with Man u wasn't spectacular and he has not really been influential at Chelsea it would probally be best for both parties if he left.

And if Brum get Gronkjaer for £1.2 million that would be a great bargin.