Chelsea thread

G-O-D

Jose Mourinho today looked forward to a 'fantastic challenge' after being unveiled as Chelsea's new manager on a three-year contract.

The 41-year-old former Porto coach has replaced Claudio Ranieri who parted company with the Blues on Monday.

Mourinho was released by Porto yesterday, less than a week after leading the Portuguese champions to victory in the Champions League final against Monaco.

In the immediate aftermath of that 3-0 win in Gelsenkirchen, Mourinho revealed he had completed his mission with the club, paving the way for a switch to west London.

And he said today: 'Chelsea represent a fantastic challenge for me. It is a great club with a world-class squad of players.

'The plans and ambitions for Chelsea excite me and I am sure they will do the same for the fans whose incredible support I have already witnessed.

'The English Premiership is recognised as the best league in the world and I am really excited at the prospect of competing week in, week out at the highest level in England as well as in Europe.'

In Mourinho's first full season in charge at Porto in 2002/03, he won the treble of domestic league and cup, and UEFA Cup before claiming Europe's top prize last week.

It is this pedigree which made him the preferred choice of Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, who will demand Mourinho - who has been officially named as manager and first-team coach at the London club - brings similar success to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon said: 'The appointment of Jose Mourinho is all about building on the foundations which we have already established at Chelsea.

'He represents the new generation of football coaches and we are convinced he can take us to the next level, both in England in Europe.

'His record of sustained success makes him perfect for what we want to achieve at Chelsea.'

Mourinho told a news conference: 'I have been asked "how do you cope with the pressure, with the big players, with the urgent ambition to start winning titles?". That is what I love.

'This is a big challenge because of the power of football in this country, because of the desire of Chelsea to win.

'England holds a big passion for me in terms of football and when I saw when things were going well for Porto and me, when I saw so many clubs were chasing me, I was in a position where I could choose my next club.

'I think Chelsea are the perfect club. Many people thought my decision was made a long time ago. Not true. What was clear was that English football and Chelsea were favourites for me but the first real contact was over the weekend.'

He added: 'I found people here with the same mentality I have. They love football as I do, they want to win like I want to win and over the last two years I have had a taste as a manager of the biggest success. I want to keep this taste.

'I do not want at 2010 and 2012 to and have the same titles I have now. I want more.'

Asked if he would be bringing his Porto backroom staff with him, Mourinho said: 'My staff grew up with me, we won step by step together so I have people in whom I have confidence.

'At the same time I must meet people who are in the club now. I have to meet them, to communicate, to know their desire. I cannot say who and how many are coming with me.'

SQUAD CUTS IN PROSPECT

Mourinho made it clear he wanted to work with a small squad but would not reveal if any of the players at Porto would follow him to Stamford Bridge.

He said: 'In relation to players I would say if all the names you wrote in last few days are correct we would have a 50 player squad and I hate to work with big squads.

'I want a small squad - 21 players plus the goalkeepers and no more.

'It is a correct number for the specific work we want to do. I want to look to the reserve and youth team with different eyes.

'In relation to the Porto players. I love them all as we won together and made history together and I wish the best for all of them. I will not give a sheet of players of who I want. I must give a document with reasons why I want this and that.

'We have to spend time so we know what we really want and what we really need.'

And he made it clear he wanted immediate success.

He added: 'I think football clubs want success in relation to their potential. Even if a manager does good work in a club, if we don't achieve targets we are looking for at the beginning, you have to assume you have failed.

'I'm not asking for time, what I want is to give my best, to improve things, to create a football team in relation to my image and my football philosophy.

'Most important is to find players who think as I think. We should not be afraid to say `we want to win', we shouldn't defend ourselves from pressure saying we only want success in the last year of my contract.

'I think (next season's) Champions League will be the strongest ever - every shark is there - the competition will be very hard. Other teams think like we think in Europe and in English football - they share our ambition - but I don't want self protection from them.

'The biggest ambition I have is to win the first Premiership match on August 14. My second ambition is to win the next match and we will keep going like this.

'We have top players and, sorry if I'm arrogant, we have a top manager.'

'I AM THE EUROPEAN CHAMPION... A SPECIAL ONE'

Mourinho also took a swipe at Ranieri who had suggested he might struggle in the Premiership because standards in Portugal are not as high as in England.

'I heard that and what I suggest is that of you should explain that for a team to win the UEFA Cup and Champions League you have to play many times against teams from different countries. I did not win the cup playing against 20 Portuguese teams.

'I did it against teams from his [Ranieri's] own country, Italy, teams from your own country, teams from everywhere.

'I am the European champion. I think I am a special one.'

The former Porto manager insists team spirit comes ahead of superstar players.

'I am a great defender of team spirit and teamwork. The first thing I have to promise to my players is that I will look at them with the same eyes.... I do not want special relations with one of them.

'I hate to speak about players individually. Players do not win trophies, squads win trophies.

'I cannot say I love this player, I love players who love to win. They not only win in 90 minutes, but every day, every training session, in every moment of their lives.

Source

Small squad? So if Mourinho wants a small squad, and wants to bring in several Porto players, we could see a mass exodus at Chelsea this summer.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the way he says "sorry if I'm arrogan, a top class manager"

Does Maurinho have a big ego, is he arrogant, or is he just like that all the time?

I like the way he says "sorry if I'm arrogan, a top class manager"

Does Maurinho have a big ego, is he arrogant, or is he just like that all the time?

He has an ego the size of a barn, he is as arrogant as they get, and yes, he's like that all the time. He doesn't take defeat very well and quickly blames everybody but his team when he's defeated. When Porto lost to Benfica in the Portuguese Cup finals last month, Mourinho blamed the refereeing team and said that Benfica had 14 players on the field, saying the referee, widely regarded as Portugal's best, was a joke. Everybody, including the media, admitted that if there was a club who was "robbed" in the game was Benfica, but whatever. They even said that Benfica's victory over Porto was a "humblety beats arrogance" situation. Believe me, I could stay here all day long telling you stuff about Mourinho and his arrogance and "holier-than-thou" attitudes. But since this is a Chelsea thread and not a "Bash Mourinho and talk about the Portuguese league" thread, I won't. I've done plenty of that already.

He has an ego the size of a barn, he is as arrogant as they get, and yes, he's like that all the time. He doesn't take defeat very well and quickly blames everybody but his team when he's defeated. When Porto lost to Benfica in the Portuguese Cup finals last month, Mourinho blamed the refereeing team and said that Benfica had 14 players on the field, saying the referee, widely regarded as Portugal's best, was a joke. Everybody, including the media, admitted that if there was a club who was "robbed" in the game was Benfica, but whatever. They even said that Benfica's victory over Porto was a "humblety beats arrogance" situation. Believe me, I could stay here all day long telling you stuff about Mourinho and his arrogance and "holier-than-thou" attitudes. But since this is a Chelsea thread and not a "Bash Mourinho and talk about the Portuguese league" thread, I won't. I've done plenty of that already.

If he starts acting like that regularly in press conferences it soon will be a Bash Mourinho thread.

Believe me, if things aren't going his way, he will act like that. He's just that kind of guy. Nobody I know can stand Mourinho, nobody. And, if you'll excuse my honesty, I hope Mourinho fucks up at Chelsea. I have nothing against Chelsea, but I hope he fucks up like hell and they sack him, maybe then he'll learn not to be such an arrogant prick. God, I hate him. Again, sorry if I offend anybody, it's just that guys like him piss me off.

Edited by Y2Johnny

Believe me, if things aren't going his way, he will act like that. He's just that kind of guy. Nobody I know can stand Mourinho, nobody. And, if you'll excuse my honesty, I hope Mourinho fucks up at Chelsea. I have nothing against Chelsea, but I hope he fucks up like hell and they sack him, maybe then he'll learn not to be such an arrogant prick. God, I hate him. Again, sorry if I offend anybody, it's just that guys like him piss me off.

He pisses me off beyond words too. He seems to be trapped in his own little egotistical world. He went as far as saying "I'm not one fresh out the bottle for my 15 minutes of fame, I'm unique... I'm special"

What a cunt. I hope he fucks it up at Chelsea too.

Juan Sebastian Veron has become the first casualty of Jose Mourinho's upheaval at Chelsea, with the Argentine star joining Internazionale on a year-long loan deal.

Mourinho revealed one of his first jobs at Stamford Bridge will be to trim the squad down and he has allowed Argentine ace Veron to go out on loan for the whole of next season.

Veron's future at Chelsea has been in doubt for the last few months with the player himself expressing his desire to quit after a nightmare year at Stamford Bridge.

The former Manchester United midfielder saw last season blighted by a series of injuries and whenever he did play, he was unable to produce his best.

Inter have been tracking Veron for some time, as they look to improve on a disappointing campaign next season.

Veron has previously admitted he would be keen on a return to Italy after successful spells with Parma and Lazio before moving to England three years ago and he has got his wish to go back to Serie A.

Should Veron impress at Inter next season, the Italian club are likely to try and make his stay permanent.

source: skysports.com

I knew he would go, what a waste of money he was

In the BBC.co.uk version of the above article:

Chelsea spokeswoman Helen Wood told BBC Five Live: "It's consistent with the policy of new manager Jose Mourinho.

"He wants to streamline the squad and work with a smaller number of players next season. He means business.

And so it begins...

Well, right now, I'm neutral on Mourinho. However, if he can lead Chelsea to trophies after trophies, I know I'll be taking an instant liking to him. :D

Veron leaving can only be good for Chelsea.

Eidur Gudjohnsen has nailed the door shut on rumours of his exit from Chelsea, saying Jose Mourinho has assured him of his future at Stamford Bridge.

The Icelandic striker has mixed emotions concerning the departure of Claudio Ranieri, but feels the future looks good under Mourinho.

Mourinho said at Wednesday's press conference that he will look to trim his squad, but Gudjohnsen claims he has already been informed he has a future at the club.

"With Claudio relieved of his job, it leaves you with mixed emotions, but we will go into the new season looking forward," Gudjohnsen told Sky Sports News.

"We have a new manager and it is going to be an exciting season."

Gudjohnsen feels Mourinho has all the right characteristics needed to succeed in The Premiership, if his handling of the press on Wednesday is an indicator of his capabilities.

"I was impressed because he was not fazed by any questions and he showed a lot of belief in his team and himself," added Gudjohnsen.

Commenting on his own future, the former PSV Eindhoven man said: "I spoke to him last night, just briefly, and he told me he is looking forward to working with me as a player and wants to see me on July 5.

"You don't need to hear anything else as a player."

Gudjohnsen is aware that a number of the Blues squad could be moved on, but is confident he will not be shown the exit door.

"In any club there will be comings and goings," he stated. "Mr Mourinho has made it clear there are a few too many, but it is not up to me to say who will stay or go.

"But I definitely won't be going, I know that."

Source

This is good news. Eidur has proven himself to be a good player at Chelsea.

Personally, I'm a really big fan of Mourinho. You've got to be a bit special to have won the Champion's League.

Anyway, I'm taking bets on who's out the door. My choices:

Veron (obviously)

Gronkjaer

Sullivan

Babayaro

Huth

Mutu

Zenden

Edited by Turbonegro

Personally, I'm a really big fan of Mourinho.  You've got to be a bit special to have won the Champion's League. 

Anyway, I'm taking bets on who's out the door.  My choices:

Veron (obviously)

Gronkjaer

Sullivan

Babayaro

Huth

Mutu

Zenden

Add Melchiot, Joe Cole (on loan), Smertin, Forssell (already on loan), Carlton Cole (on loan), Macho and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to the list and I think that's pretty much it. Crespo could also be going, but personally, I would want him to stay for another season and see how it goes.

I don't think he should get rid of Melchiot. Unless he's got someone definitely superior to bring in, Melchiot's been solid at right back for the past couple of seasons.

And personally, if he were planning to get rid of Hasselbaink, and either one/both of Muto/Crespo, I'd bring Forssell back and have him as one of the three main strikers.

I don't think he should get rid of Melchiot. Unless he's got someone definitely superior to bring in, Melchiot's been solid at right back for the past couple of seasons.

And personally, if he were planning to get rid of Hasselbaink, and either one/both of Muto/Crespo, I'd bring Forssell back and have him as one of the three main strikers.

I would love Forssell back at Chelsea. But he has already extended his loan for another season at Birmingham.

Melchiot is solid, but I think we can get someone even better.

Chelsea have reportedly failed with another attempt to lure Juventus star Pavel Nedved to Stamford Bridge.

The Czech Republic international has been a long-term target for The Blues' billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, who has made repeated efforts to prise Nedved away from Turin.

Newly-appointed Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is also an admirer of the European Footballer of the Year and would welcome Nedved in to his squad.

Reports in Italy claim Abramovich is prepared to offer the 31-year-old a blank cheque to join his ambitious revolution in West London.

But the former Lazio midfielder has rejected the overtures from Chelsea and again pledged his commitment to Juventus.

Nedved is under contract at Stadio Delle Alpi for a further two years and is determined to win the UEFA Champions League with Juve before he leaves the club.

Juve would be equally reluctant to sanction Nedved's departure despite the fact Abramovich would submit an attractive bid to procure his man.

The mercurial Nedved is likely to demonstrate the skills that have seen him courted by Chelsea during the upcoming European Championship in Portugal

Source

Well, I don't think we need Nedved anyways. He'll probably only give Chelsea a couple of good seasons, and for that kind of money, I don't think it's worth it.

Crespo could also be going, but personally, I would want him to stay for another season and see how it goes.

I feel the same. I just get the feeling that Crespo has had a bit of trouble settling in to the Premiership style, like Christiano Ronaldo at first. I think that next season, Crespo's going to be shit hot.

And as far as the Nedved thing goes, I am dissapointed that we're getting him, but after two, maybe three at the most, seasons, he'll be past his prime. IMO, we should go for the likes of Van Der Vaart or someone slightly younger who could bring more to the teamin the long run and also end up slightly cheaper than Nedved.

Now, I'm off to bed to recover from Download...

New Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has stressed his desire to build the club's future around homegrown players.

Previous boss Claudio Ranieri spent more than half of last season's £110million-plus transfer budget on foreign imports but Mourinho has already started the clear-out with Juan Sebastian Veron, a £15million buy from Manchester United, going out on loan to Inter Milan.

And the Portuguese manager, who won the Champions League last month with Porto, has stressed his desire to improve Chelsea's fortunes by investing in English players and, primarily, those which have come through the Stamford Bridge ranks.

'Last night I was spending my night analysing a document about the Academy, because I have to be ready for my feedback in relation to this document, and studying the pre-season programme for the United States tour, and make the changes for what I think is correct,' said Mourinho.

'I try to be very organised and I try to explain to the board what I like, and because of that I'm making a few documents for the board to explain what I want and what I like.

'I think it's (youth development) crucial. The biggest quality of the team is to play as a team. I don't know a successful team [which does not] play as a team.

'We must have a nucleus of strong personalities, and if possible with people with the culture of the club. With the Bosman law the door is open completely to go a different way, but we should recover a little of that spirit.

'So if you ask me would I like to have many English players in your team - yes, I would like - and when I finish your contract would I love to have a heart of Chelsea boys made in the club - I would love it and will work for it.'

Chief executive Peter Kenyon explained the club had gone for Mourinho because they felt he was the man to change Chelsea for the better.

'The next generation is about becoming a dominant force in the Premier League and building Chelsea into a truly big European club. That's about successive years of winning trophies,' he told Chelsea TV.

'In order to do that we have to take a completely different approach to perhaps the Chelsea of old.

'Youth development is an important factor in that. It's not about just continuing to buy the big-name players.

'This is about building a cohesive team from youth right the way through to the first team so it's completely revamping the way that we go about our football programme, and at that point we felt it was necessary to look for a new manager.

'We wanted the next generation. We wanted somebody to work with for the next five, 10 years, so age was an important factor. So was track record, someone who will take this Academy through to [the] first team.

'If you look at a lot of Europe their structure is to have a football director and a first team coach and what we wanted to do is combine that, somebody who would take the holistic view of identifying the nine-year-olds, signing them as YTS at 16, as pro at 17, and hopefully bringing them through to the first team, because that is the heart and culture that Chelsea wants to do.

'At the same time Chelsea is always going to have big-name players so the ability of that man to manage the big stars as well as the stars of tomorrow was a key component.'

Source

Well, this can only be good for Chelsea.