G-O-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chelsea are set to snub a move for Portugal midfielder Deco, preferring to give Joe Cole the chance to establish himself as a regular.

The Blues have been strongly linked with Porto ace Deco following the arrival of Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho is a big fan of Deco and is thought to be keen to bring him to West London along with Paulo Ferreira.

Deco seems set to leave Porto and he has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon appears to have ruled out a move for Deco, believing that they do not need him with the likes of Cole pushing for regular first team action.

"Deco is a good player, but we've got Joe Cole and Joe has to feature I think," Kenyon told Chelsea TV.

"I spoke to Joe just before he went off to the Euro's. He was burning to get on and make his mark.

"He clearly wants to make his mark with Chelsea, and we really want to give him the opportunity. I think Joe Cole again comes back to representing that young English player who's got real quality and we've got to give him that platform.

"I think again, they've got to be given a chance and I know that Jose's position. I put Deco very much in the speculation camp."

Kenyon also revealed that the club are interested in Marseille striker Didier Drogba.

Chelsea have already had a bid rejected for the Ivory Coast star with Marseille determined to hold onto their top striker, but Kenyon admitted they will keep tabs on Drogba.

"I think Drogba has been a phenomenon in the last eighteen months to two years, you know he is big," added Kenyon.

"I think he's twenty-six. He is big and physical, and fast, and you have to think that those are good traits for the Premier League, but again, we've got some top quality strikers and what we've got to do all along is balance what we've got with who else is on the market, and that's something again we're looking at right now.

"But yeah , we understand and we know who the player is."

The possible arrival of a new striker would cast doubts over Hernan Crespo and Adrian Mutu.

The pair failed to live up to expectations last season, but Kenyon insists there is no plans to offload the duo.

"Right now there are no plans, I mean they are both Chelsea players," said Kenyon.

"So I think in both players, you've got to say we've got good players, and I think the key issue is can they replicate that and do it for Chelsea."

source: planetfootball.com

Interesting, it seemed almost certain that Deco was going to join. I didn't really want to see him in the premiership, I am actually glad you might give Cole a chance and boost his England chances because he is a great player and I wish Arsenal had signed him. I doubt you are going to be able to get Didier Drogba unless you bid silly money which I can see happening.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Guest Blads

Duff/Robben/Cole can all play in Deco's positions (AMC or off main striker).

Arjen Robben looks stunningly good, but off a step-up from Gronkjaer.

And to be honest, we couldn't really have asked for a better opening fixture, we'll beat Manure, easy.

Guest Power Trip

Hasselbaink released

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004

Chelsea has come to an agreement with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to release him from the final year of his contract. We would like to thank Jimmy for his excellent service and contribution to Chelsea and we wish him all the best for the future.

Jimmy, who was 32 in March, has spent four seasons at Stamford Bridge where his single-minded marksmanship and trademark cannonball shooting have seen him club top scorer in three of those years

In total he made 177 appearances, 21 as substitute and scored 87 goals, 12 from the penalty spot. He is our tenth highest scorer of all-time.

When he signed in June 2000 as one of Gianluca Vialli’s final purchases, the £15 million transfer fee equalled the then Premiership record and was an outright Chelsea record spend that stood until Damien Duff arrived last July.

Jimmy took no time at all to find his scoring boots, shooting past Fabian Barthez to help Chelsea beat Manchester United in the Charity Shield in his first competitive game, the one piece of silverware he won in his time at Stamford Bridge.

He continued to find the target regularly, becoming our first 20-goal scorer for over a decade before his second season saw a partnership with Eidur Gudjohnsen really take off, both players creating as well as scoring. Jimmy’s goal contribution was 29 with his 23 in the League winning the Premiership Golden Boot.

The season climaxed with an FA Cup Final against Arsenal but his usual sting was drawn when he was forced to start the match far from fit and was unable to complete the game, later needing an operation.

The effect of that surgery lingered on and his third season was his least prolific with 15 goals, Gianfranco Zola taking over the highest scorer mantle.

Following the addition of Adrian Mutu and Hernán Crespo it was reduced playing activity last season yet Jimmy was able to regain his top scorer crown with 17 goals.

The final flourish for this long-established crowd favourite was his third Chelsea hat-trick to turn a game against Wolves in March followed by a winner at Tottenham in the next game – a fitting final goal in Chelsea blue past the team he netted against more than any other.

Source: chelseafc.com

Discuss.

I personally disagree with this. Although we do need to get rid of strikers, Jimmy Floyd is the wrong man to get rid of. He is who you put in when you need a goal now, and without him we don't have anyone with that kind of scoring threat, unless Robben becomes a machine. This is one of those good move/bad move situations, where someone needed to leave but the wrong man was the one who left.

Random BBC news articles. I'm such a news whore.

Mourinho warns rivals

New Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has told Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger not to play mind games with him.

Mourinho fell out with Ferguson when Porto knocked Manchester United out of the Champions League last season.

Now Mourinho will be doing battle with the Scot and Arsenal boss Wenger for the Premiership and he said: "If they don't touch me, I won't touch anyone.

"If they touch me, I'll be ready to hit back even harder. But I didn't come here to have problems."

He added: "I didn't come here with rivalry in mind. I hope to do my work and may others do theirs."

But while Wenger has had public spats with Ferguson, Mourinho's only track record in England is with the Scot, but the Chelsea manager has played down his rivalry.

"With Porto I knocked out United in two games which have a lot of history to them. But there will not be any resumption of animosities. Not from my part.

"At the end of the second leg, we talked and there was no problem."

Mourinho believes the presence of such heavyweights as Arsenal and United makes his job much harder than managing Porto.

"I knew that with a good team I could win the Portuguese league. Here it is different.

"We have a good squad, a good financial situation, but so do United and Arsenal. We've also got Liverpool and Newcastle snapping at our heels."

Seems like a tough bastard Mourinho. With his seemingly sensible approach to how he's sorting out his squad and transfers, I'm starting to like him a bit more. Of course this will all go to hell when he declares himself to be the Second Coming of Jesus in his first post-match interview. :shifty:

Smertin return confirmed

Chelsea have confirmed for the first time that Alexei Smertin will be part of Jose Mourinho's squad next season.

The 29-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Portsmouth, previously said he was switching to Stamford Bridge but there was no word from the Blues.

Now chief executive Peter Kenyon has said: "He's coming back as part of the squad and he'll be vying for a place like everyone else.

"He had a good season at Portsmouth, and we're delighted to have him back."

The Russia midfielder, who played in Euro 2004, said: "Jose Mourinho asked to meet me in Lisbon. Roman Abramovich was at the meeting too.

"We agreed I would be in Chelsea's squad for next season. Mourinho told me 'It's entirely down to you'.

"He said some footballers are happy to play for a less prestigious club if they are always in the first team, while others are ready to fight for their place at Chelsea.

"He told me it would be tough and asked if I was ready for it. I said I was.

"My agent, Paulo Barbosa, has known Mourinho for a long time and he told me Mourinho is never bothered by names or transfer fees, but only by what a player can do."

Smertin made 26 Premiership appearances during his year at Fratton Park before leading his country in Portugal.

I never really watched Smertin play, not even when he was at Portsmouth...I don't know how good he is to make comment.

Cudicini to fight for place

Carlo Cudicini has vowed to battle to keep his place as Chelsea's first-choice goalkeeper following the summer arrival of £9m signing Petr Cech.

Chelsea are overflowing with keepers with Neil Sullivan, Jurgen Macho and Marco Ambrosio all at the club as well as Cudicini and Cech.

"I know there will be competition and I'm ready for it," said Cudicini.

"I don't think that money should let you play. I know the challenge will be on the pitch, not by the transfer fee."

He added: "This does not bother me. Somebody could cost £8m, £9m or £10m, but that does not mean that he has to play."

Cech impressed in goal during the Czech Republic's run to the semi-finals at Euro 2004.

But Cudicini admitted that, although happy at the club, he would not be content to spend the season on the bench.

"I love Chelsea and expect to stay at the club until the end of my contract in 2008," he said.

"That is my desire and I hope it will be the same for the club.

"I don't think that any player is happy to sit on the bench, but if it happens you have to accept it, then talk to the manager and the club to see what is going to happen."

Read: I'd better be in the first team or I'll be out next summer. I don't care how good Cech is, I wouldn't want him at the expense of losing Cudicini.

Guest It's 999

Yay, we've finally got a manager that fights back against Ferguson and Wenger, and doesn't just ignore them! Wicked, now we too can bitch at press conferences!

No I didn't ever think Chec was better than Cudicin actually. Not to mention the fact that Cudicini is possibly the most unlucky keeper around when it comes to international football, he is never going to get into the first team international team while Buffon is there so I think he deserves to be playing first team football with a great club. If Chec comes in, your telling me Cudicini will even get half the games in a season? I doubt it, so hopefully he leaves and realises Chelsea are a bunch of idiots for trying to buy half the football world.

No I didn't ever think Chec was better than Cudicin actually. Not to mention the fact that Cudicini is possibly the most unlucky keeper around when it comes to international football, he is never going to get into the first team international team while Buffon is there so I think he deserves to be playing first team football with a great club. If Chec comes in, your telling me Cudicini will even get half the games in a season? I doubt it, so hopefully he leaves and realises Chelsea are a bunch of idiots for trying to buy half the football world.

:angry::angry::angry:

Mourinho has already stated that Cudicini will be his no. 1. So unless Cech can outperform Cudicini, I highly doubt Cudicini will be displaced between the sticks.

And I don't think Carlo Cudicini will ever get a look in the Italian team. Unless something drastic happens, like if Buffon and Toldo retire now. It's a shame really, Cudicini definitely have the capabilities to perform well for Italy. :/

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Mourinho has already stated that Cudicini will be his no. 1. So unless Cech can outperform Cudicini, I highly doubt Cudicini will be displaced between the sticks.

And I don't think Carlo Cudicini will ever get a look in the Italian team. Unless something drastic happens, like if Buffon and Toldo retire now. It's a shame really, Cudicini definitely have the capabilities to perform well for Italy. :/

Very true but then again he isn't really a touch on Buffon at the end of the day. If Chelsea play him then good because he deserves to start most games because he rarely makes any mistakes if you ask me and is a solid keeper.

Chelsea 1 - Oxford 1

Meh, can't complain. The game was good enough and Oxford did themselves proud. Kezman played well and linked up well with Gudjohnsen. Good to see Smertin back, who also played really well. Kezman scored Chelsea's goal, but he was so unlucky the whole game. He got caught offside and shitload and hit the bar once and the post once.

And I just got Chelsea TV, which rules...

The match seems to have served its purpose well enough, and hey, even Steven Watt got a start, so good for him. Kezman seems like he has the potential to be a worthwhile signing...unlike some people (*cough* Drogba *cough*). However Mourinho has said that it the transfers aren't finalised by Wednesday then they're not happening. So we might save the money...

Damn you and your Chelsea TV *shakes fist*.

Newspapers here are saying that midfielder Tiago will indeed sign from Benfica to Chelsea today. The guy's a great midfielder who didn't really stand a chance to play in the Euro because of injury, but believe me when I say he's a great talent. That said: Fuck, I wanted him to stay :(

Comments?

He is a quality quality player imo. He was linked with Arsenal a while ago but nothing came of it, I would have liked him to come to Highbury but he has been branded a money getter by the Benfica president, so we will see. But he is a good player.

Chelsea farewell for Zola

Gianfranco Zola will make a farewell appearance for Chelsea in the club's only home pre-season friendly on Sunday 8 August.

The Italian, who departed for hometown club Cagliari last summer, was a firm favourite with Blues fans.

He will now play in Chelsea's final warm-up before the Premiership begins, against as yet unconfirmed opponents.

"This is a perfect occasion to say farewell to the Chelsea supporters," Zola told the club's official website.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich made a late bid to keep Zola at Stamford Bridge last summer.

But the 37-year-old Zola honoured an agreement with the Sardinian club.

"When I left it happened quite suddenly," he said. "I wasn't expecting it, and I've had so many fans coming over to watch the games in Cagliari it's been astonishing.

"I'm really looking forward to this game. It's something I was really hoping for. I can't wait.

"What Chelsea is doing for me is fantastic because they've got a very busy schedule, and to find the time to organise a game like this is fantastic.

"I won't be able to say thank you enough. And I just can't wait to be with the fans again."

Zola joined the London club in 1997 from Parma for £4.5m and is regarded as one of the best overseas players to grace the English top flight.

He won the FA Cup twice - in 1997 and 2000 - and scored the winning goal against Stuttgart as Chelsea won the 1998 European Cup Winners Cup.

Tickets go on sale on Wednesday, £25 for an adult. I'm hoping to get one.