Next Gen System

illmatic

What next gen system do you plan on getting?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What next gen system do you plan on getting?

• Nintendo Revolution
    • XBox 360
    • PS3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grapehead

I think Halo is over-rated, based on the simple thing that there have been better PC FPS's 2-3 years before it came out. Only console fans drool over it.....PC fans just laugh, as its nothing new or special really.

Plus I really never got into Halo....

Exactly...

Not everyone has a hi-tech computer, or even if so, want to waste memory and the like (Such as money) on games. I mean, it IS a console game, so of course 'console fans' are going to drool over...That's just, common sense.

Please... don't talk unless you make more sense.

Irony thy name is THIS FUCKING IDIOT RIGHT HERE.

I'll say it again, the N64 was a crappy system, wow it's durable, great. What good is a durable system that doesn't do anything for me, has a crappy controller, with a joystick that couldn't withstand the ridiculous control rotating their games required.

Have you even PLAYED the N64? The controllers are great, numerous people swear by getting into a heated game of (insert game here) throwing the controller to the ground, and then picking them up and playing with them. If you slam a playstation controller to the ground you'll be picking splinters of broken plastic out of the ground for days.

The N64 is commonly regarded as the closest to indestructable you can make a game system. Look at the ultimate console endurance test, the Gamecube won, the N64 has much simpler internal mechanics and a thicker hull, the controllers, the system, are basically unbreakable... you're talking as if they were of wafer. The things basically bulletproof!

3 or 4 great games on the system, some average-slightly above average games, a sea of mediocre or useless games. It didn't have ANYTHING to compete with the PS, it had no marketting, it had no star power(as in it's games), and not a very wide variety of games.

Mario 64 was the BEST video game when it was released, it was an amazing graphical achievement at the time, slick play, an absolute masterpeice on release, no Playstation 1 platformer touched it. It's still a great game, and the re-release on the DS is pulling hot numbers even now.

Goldeneye 007 was excellent, the real movie music, intense action, smooth plot, it was the best movie to game translation at the time (and still ranks up there). It was and is the best James Bond game ever... and if you don't count James Bond as star power maybe...

WCW/NWO Revenge is more to your liking? The wrestling games industry was beginning to burgeon and while the Playstation featured awesome games like WCW Thunder and WWF Apeitude, the N64 gave birth to the best WCW game ever made and one of the slickest and greatest wrestling games to this date. And don't tell me Hollywood Hulk Hogan isn't star power, brother.

The Ocarina of Time did for roleplaying what the doctor did to your mother upon your birth; bitchslapped it, and then spat on the ground in disgust. It was a completely different look from the roleplaying games Square were developing, and while debate is open as to what played better and stood the test of time, Ocarina was a phenomenal game at the time and it's re-release on the Gamecube was hugely succesfful.

I don't understand how people can think Perfect Dark is "overrated" when in the same topic people call Halo the best game series of all time. (with two games, one of which when ported to the PC was a commercial and critical failure due to it's heavy ass sucking) Perfect Dark was a great multiplayer game and if I know people who still get games of four going on a weekly basis. I'm not sure what you think is overrated about it, it plays phenomonally with decent to good graphics nice quality sound and a perfectly acceptable plot.

And then there's No Mercy, which was good graphically, had tons of options and unlockables for it's time, great, stellar, unfuckingbelievablyfuckyourmotherawesome gameplay that still, STILL, STILL stands up as the true measure of what a wrestling game should be. And remember, this game was released when Bradshaw was a jobber and Jericho was getting pushed. It's old skool, but it's cool skool, and is one of the best videogames around, still.

That is 6 great games right there that blew anything the PS One did RIGHT THE FUCK AWAY. Adding onto that were the good N64 games, like San Francisco Rush... while not a purists racing dream, it was a lot of fun. 1080 Snowboarding was an awesome game at the time and it took the Playstation 3 tries until they were able to successfully rip it off. The Akklaim sports games, All-Star Baseball and Quarterback Club, are HUGELY underappreciated in the annals of sports gaming history. ASB was miles ahead of everything the PS was doing with MLB and Quarterback Club was amazing graphically and one of the first pro sports games to offer create a team (a mandatory feature, now. FYI, the first in North America was also an N64 game, I'll let you look it up)

And sure, there was a ton of garbage on the N64. But you could build a fort with the absolute shit churned out for the PS1 thick enough to withstand an islamic invasion. Every commercialized piece of grabage movie game you could ever want was made for the PS1, and there were hoardes and hoardes of "me too!" games which sucked dick for dinner and asked for desert. If you measure a system by the amount of garbage games it has, then the PS One is the undisputed king, making it king of crap games, king of rush to rip off, king of movie liscensing garbage, and king of breaking for no fucking reason. An impressive resume; it's still a shit fucking system and is only better then the Saturn, if you count systems released since the Super Nintendo.

I won't argue with you on the cartoonish; that was Nintendo's choice of pallette for the system, they chose very bright colors that they thought looked good but didn't really do much but add an animated effect, which is definitely not a good thing. But don't be proud of yourself for getting one right... one for three is still pretty bad, ecspecially when you were so far off on the other two.

Anyways, I'm a little busy right now, so I'll have to check back in later and finish my argument.

My personal reccomendation is that you do not come back. If you choose to however I ask that you please remove your head from your ass before arguing with me. I know a tongue on your colon feels good, but I just hire a hooker.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Halo sucks, I wasn't particularly impressed with it, but the massive praise it was getting made me stop thinking it was OK and start thinking it was rubbish.

The N64 was great, so was the PS, the PS always seemed to have a better version of the multi-console games though, apart from ISS, ISS64 kicked its ass. I found that it was great having the option of both consoles.

I personally love the PS2, more so than the XBox and more so than the Gamecube, thats not because I'm ignorant to what the others offer, its just because I like what the PS2 can give me. The hardware arguement is the only thing that people can seem to come up with, but the fact that the PS2 is still going strong whilst its apparently so 'weak' proves otherwise.

Dooku (dammit...can't remember who you are really...), apart from Goldeneye, every single game you mentioned had counterparts in some way on the PS2, which could be argued that they were as good if not better.

Zelda, meet Final Fantasy 7 (and frankly, FF VII kicks its butt, even though it was released a lot before it)

WCW/NWO Revenge - No Mercy, meet the Tekken Series and the Soul Blade series (I'm counting wrestling games as fighting games, as then it makes them less niched....Tekken was the best fighting game on the 1st gen consoles, closely followed, if not matched, by Soul Blade....N64 seriously lacked a decent fighting game)

Mario, meet Crash Bandicoot (maybe I'm clutching at straws here, but the Crash Bandicoot series is pretty good all in all, whilst Mario 64 is good, but not as great as some made it out to be)

Than you get games like GTA, Gran Turismo which don't have anywhere near a match on the N64 (unless GTA was released on the 64....I'm not 100% sure).

Don't get me wrong, I liked the N64, but PS1 was far and away superior when it came to amount of quality games. Sure, they adopted a "throw anything at the wall, and we'll have some quality games come out of it", but at the end of the day, they have more quality games than the 64, as well as more crap. Since I didn't personally have to buy the crap, I jusrt enjoyed the vast amount of quality.

And my point to Media Version 2.0 was that Halo wasn't anything special in the bigger picture. I have a PC, and have great games on it, or have done, therefore, I didn't care as much for Halo as some people seemed to.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Zelda, meet Final Fantasy 7 (and frankly, FF VII kicks its butt, even though it was released a lot before it)

WCW/NWO Revenge - No Mercy, meet the Tekken Series and the Soul Blade series (I'm counting wrestling games as fighting games, as then it makes them less niched....Tekken was the best fighting game on the 1st gen consoles, closely followed, if not matched, by Soul Blade....N64 seriously lacked a decent fighting game)

Mario, meet Crash Bandicoot (maybe I'm clutching at straws here, but the Crash Bandicoot series is pretty good all in all, whilst Mario 64 is good, but not as great as some made it out to be)

I'm not on one side as far as the N64/PS1 arguement goes, but these 'better' alternatives are bullshit, they aren't the same type of games for a start. Wrestling games are completely different to beat-em-ups, I can stand wrestling games, but I can't stand out an out fighters.

The same with Mario and Crash Bandicoot. Its a bit of a crap arguement/comparison really, infact its absolutely terrible.

Wrestling games go under fighting games though, generally. Well, until it became a big enough market to market them as they are, I guess.

And Mario = platformer, Crash Bandicoot = platformer.....the only difference is one was free roaming, the other was linear.

And Zelda = RPG, FF VII = RPG....the main difference being the mode of attack on the game, as you get the random FF VII battles, and not in Zelda....but they are still both RPG's, so can be compared as such.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I bed to differ.

When compared (the PS version; the subsequent rerelease on PC improved a lot of it's flaws here) head to head with Zelda, FFVII is inferior graphically and audibly, while it somehow manages to take eight and a half years to load it's mediocrity. It spanned multiple discs thanks to it's droning and boring diolague propping up (or trying to and failing miserably) a repetitive and fairly bad combat system.The only area I can logically give FFVII an edge is in scope, but considering how fucking boring the first few minutes of it are I didn't see reading those badly translated and unimaginative diolagues for the next week or so.

Mario, meet Crash Bandicoot

lol u crazy, I mean i like u but u crazy

WCW/NWO Revenge - No Mercy, meet the Tekken Series and the Soul Blade series (I'm counting wrestling games as fighting games, as then it makes them less niched

Uh, no.

The Tekken series doesn't touch NM in gameplay. NM is crisp and smooth with very few noticable bugs when not hunting for them, while Tekken was riddled with control issues bugging, stalling gameplay. It got a lot better on the PS2... miles better, but the PS1 versions were very, very poor ports of arcade games that while good, somehow managed to blow absolute ass on the Playstation.

Never played Soul Blade, but I don't expect it to be much better.

And why call a spade a heart? The Playstation had wrestling games too. Compare them, don't go digging for genres (which you did with FFVII... they are two completely different kind of roleplaying game, I still feel that considered, that LOZOT! is the better game) to try and prove your point.

Than you get games like GTA, Gran Turismo which don't have anywhere near a match on the N64 (unless GTA was released on the 64....I'm not 100% sure).

I consent Gran Turismo, but GTA was nothing revolutionary on the PS1. It had been done before on the PC, uncensored, and much, much better. Yeah, GTA III was pretty cool, but it was a PS2 title, not a PS1 title, thus an toned down port of a top down PC game does little for your arguement.

In an arguement of game libraries there is no doubt that the PS One is superior. I have admitted that; do so now as well... but the reason is not because the PS One is the better system. And rather then sit here and argue with your absurd stretches to try and prove something, I will instead say that I merely popped in here because whoever the guy is bashed one of the best gaming systems of all time with baseless comments he has not and I do believe cannot back up when called them.

I know I was clutching at straws, but frankly, I can't remember a lot of the games on either...I just remember what I liked, and what I didn't.

Also, an RPG game is an RPG game, so I felt Zelda vs FF VII made sense. Obviously you dislike FF VII, fair enough, but it doesn't get the acclaim it does today for no reason. It hasn't dated greatly, but it is still even worth a play to this day, as not many new RPG's can match up to it.

Wasn't GTA originally a PS1 game, then ported to the PC? Thats what I had thought.

And PS1's wrestling games sucked, I know that.

Soul Blade was smooth and crisp, and graphically was a lot better than Tekken 1 in graphics. But then again, Tekken was one of the first games on the PS1, so to compare NM's lack of glitcheyness and smoothness is hard considering it was released long after Tekken, as was Soul Blade for that matter.

Also, an RPG game is an RPG game

That's kinda like saying a sports game is a sports game and comparing Madden to Fifa. Lazy and selfserving.

It hasn't dated greatly, but it is still even worth a play to this day, as not many new RPG's can match up to it.

I'd point you to the sales numbers that the Zelda collection sold, and I wager the majority weren't buying it for the masterpiece that was Adventures of Link.

Wasn't GTA originally a PS1 game, then ported to the PC? Thats what I had thought.

No.

Soul Blade was smooth and crisp, and graphically was a lot better than Tekken 1 in graphics. But then again, Tekken was one of the first games on the PS1, so to compare NM's lack of glitcheyness and smoothness is hard considering it was released long after Tekken, as was Soul Blade for that matter.

You made the comparison dude, I just shit on it.

Also, an RPG game is an RPG game

That's kinda like saying a sports game is a sports game and comparing Madden to Fifa. Lazy and selfserving.

It hasn't dated greatly, but it is still even worth a play to this day, as not many new RPG's can match up to it.

I'd point you to the sales numbers that the Zelda collection sold, and I wager the majority weren't buying it for the masterpiece that was Adventures of Link.

No.

You made the comparison dude, I just shit on it.

I can't be arsed to break your argument up into points. But I wasn't going to distinguish RPG type 1 from RPG type 2. The difference with sport games is they correspond to a certain type of sport. RPG's are RPG's......fair enough, there are different styles, from your games like Baldurs Gate, to Suikoden, to Breath Of fire etc etc. But they all = RPG's, and can within reason be debated against each other. Especially considering FF VII was PS's biggest RPG success, as was LOZOT! for the N64.

Secondly, if the only way that No Mercy owns Tekken is that Tekken's graphics don't match up to No Mercy's in your opinion (other than your personal preference), then it isn't exactly hard considering the gap in release between the two, which is my basic point. Also, you (amongst others) have mentioned games on the N64 that were subsequently owned by stuff on both consoles, but are legendary for what they did at the time they did it. Tekken was amazing when it was released, and although it dated badly, it was still refreshing initially.

Edited by rvdwannabe

You know I just spent all of that time reading all of this, and I got right to the bottom of this arguement and realised that I just went back 5 years in time and have witnessed an arguement between two people on GameFAQs.

Fuck your console favouritism. Argueing over things that are based on simple opinion isn't going to make anything change.

Oh, and the N64 - Yes its durability is great. That might help me out if I wanted to play games while scaling Everest, but while its sitting underneath my TV, it really doesn't make a fucking difference. And the N64s biggest flaw is the fact that it used cartridges. Expensive and inferior to CDs in every way. Using cartridges is why Square jumped to the Playstation to make the FF games from then on.

Edited by FunkAsPuck

Guest Grapehead

Dooku, you should probably notice how fanboyish you seem, I use that term loosely since you aren't wild with bad grammar or anything it may imply, but you seem to be all over defending Nintendo. I defend Nintendo as well myself, when people bring up stupid arguments against their systems, so I'd be the last person to bash Nintendo without a completely solid reasoning. So here, the N64, one more time:

The controller was not well put together, thus a very uncomfortable controller to hold, having to move your hand in to use the joystick. It was also put together badly, as the joystick would break within a month of playing Mario Party, No Mercy, and other games that required a quick jab of the joystick. I haven't seen a joystick in good repair since the current gen consoles came out, which leads me to believe a well worked controlled just can't take the beating that games unleashed on it. The console itself was not durable for Nintendo standards, considering it fell off my TV stand and the casing broke, the system still worked fine but this is a 2 foot drop I'm talking about. While my Gameboy has been dropped out of a car window, stepped on, and put through the washing machine. My GameCube has fallen from my TV stand, been kicked, had shit dropped on it(big piece of lumber, a persons head, and so on), and both it and the Gameboy barely have scratches or markings of any kind. When you compare the N64 to Nintendo standards, which is what I would be doing here, it's an inferior system in that sense.

None of the N64 games stand the test of time for me, they're all out dated for me and nothing really fills me with a desire to play. Harvest Moon, Paper Mario, and perhaps No Mercy, are the only games that I would want to play for nostalgia sake, but all of those have a current gen alternative. There's nothing on the N64 that's just so amazingly great that you have to play it on N64 to enjoy, you can just get an updated version of basically all the games. While I still go back every so often and play through FF 7 and 8, still go back and play Harvest Moon:Back to Nature(hasn't been a good HM since them, IMO, unless you count the one of gameboy), still look at the PS rack when I go to rent games, because there's always something on Playstation that I miss. Arguing game quality is a moot point in some regards, as it can be boiled down to personal opinion when you discuss each individual game. However, when you look at the amount of quality games N64 produced to the number PS offered, PS has the far and away edge, and even some of their games still stand out today, while N64 has all but been forgotten in the mainstream market.

Edited by Grapehead

Guest Future Shock

Ok, when you say TEKKEN and SOUL BLADE suck, you've got problems.

Everybody else...

FF7 sucks. N64 is good. PSOne is good. Everything is good!

But some things are more good than others~! /Animal Farm.

Ok, when you say TEKKEN and SOUL BLADE suck, you've got problems.

Everybody else...

FF7 sucks.  N64 is good.  PSOne is good.  Everything is good!

But some things are more good than others~!  /Animal Farm.

Fair enough, opinion is opinion, but FF VII hasn't got the reputation it has on it sucking. You may not like it, but it does not suck.

Guest Future Shock

It's got the reputation it has for being Final Fantasy.

Decent game, but I wouldn't play it if it wasn't Final Fantasy. See; Shadow Hearts. Good game, no name value. Didn't play it.

Now Legend Of Dragoon/Legend of Legaia? Hell yea.

It's got the reputation it has for being Final Fantasy.

Decent game, but I wouldn't play it if it wasn't Final Fantasy.  See; Shadow Hearts.  Good game, no name value.  Didn't play it.

Now Legend Of Dragoon/Legend of Legaia?  Hell yea.

Considering all the people I know (and many casual gamers who bought it) wouldn't have known Final Fantasy if it bit them on the arse (like me...I'd never heard of FF, even though I had a SNES, as they were never released in the UK, as far as I know), I debate that comment when it comes to the UK side of things.

I'm speaking from the US side.  I couldn't tell you about the UK side, because...well...

I don't live there...I think.

Well, this was the 1st FF that had made its way here as far as I know, so anyone over here wouldn't have heard of it unless they were into import games, which back in the day wasn't as easy to get into due to the lack of internet access for many.

The nintendo babeling is bullshit, N64 looks like shit compared to SNES or even NES wen it comes to games, NGC did get some back but still is FAR FAR FAR away from the greatness nintendo once offerd. - And this qualety issent goon, it switched to other systems (mostly ps2 becaus sony unlike MS is strong in the japanes marked), there is just no way to talk around it, Nintendo pissed manny manny developers of by forcing them to censore their games and jumping of the PSX deal, and they barly got anything of that back so it has you just stuck with a less broad spann of games, not saing that their arrent games that are technicly good, but a ps2 with 457468456234523478568 games just offers qualety games in a lot more gneres so you can make the console fit you and not have to fit in the narrow span the console developer offers... and no one gives a rat ass about the tons of bullshit that PS2 and PSX have, you don´t need to buy XX % of the games so why would i care about them if i just spend my monney on the stuff i want to play ?! And that actualy is in the masses.... Face it, Nintendo Screewed up, there still are fanboys that just prais that system as it was god and i am shure there are people that realy get what they need with NGC and it´s games, but this issent NES/SNES greatness anymore, no wear near, manny important parts + a lot of new "styles" moved to PS1 and PS2 and nintendo just is missing this.

Also about the x-box being to much like a PC, thjats bullshit, there is a hugh difference betwen a PC and a closed system, thats why Mac works so much better than WIndows/Linux PCs, it´s a closed system and a developer can work much finer and stronger wen he knows he works for the same hard and software all along instead of about zillions of possible hard/software combinations (that motherboard, this grafik card, another soundboard, , bla bla bla...) . . . if you look at it closly it´s the same for each system, the strong point is that it´s the smae hard and software all along, thats why you still get new games for a manny years old system like the PS2 today and not buy everything new each day. . . . errr if you know what i mean >_>