Next Gen System

illmatic

What next gen system do you plan on getting?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What next gen system do you plan on getting?

• Nintendo Revolution
    • XBox 360
    • PS3

Guest Grapehead

Why did I know this would  turn into another "so and so console is better?"  argument?

I hope you aren't referring to me, considering I just said all three current systems were average or half-assed...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did I know this would  turn into another "so and so console is better?"  argument?

I hope you aren't referring to me, considering I just said all three current systems were average or half-assed...

Well, seeing as the topic is asking which of the new generation of consoles you intend to get, and you went off on a huge ramble (that no one will bother to read all of) about the current consoles being crap, I'd say yeah, he was referring to you.

I probaly won't get any for quite a while, as they'll probaly be around...gas prices when they come out. >_> Get it?...yea. I'll probaly just rack up on Xbox/PS2/maybe a bunch of PS1 games that I already see for cheap as they lower the prices with the new games coming out and everything. So I'll just have a huge Xbox/PS2 library instead of having a new console.

Guest Grapehead

-Sony will put up another lightweight of a system, but probably make it's money off anything about the new system that doesn't involve good video games.

Have you read anything about the ps3 specs? Doesn't seem like it from that comment. PS3 I believe is supposed to be 10 times faster(I think could be wrong) then current computers and will be coming out a year after the next X-Box so it will probably have the edge in graphics (not that graphics make a game great).

Me I will be sticking with sony for a third time now and buy myself a PS3 probably not until a year after its launch though.

will wait a while to see prices drop and game spann, i asume nintendo will loose again at that so the question is how much MS buys to get into the japanes marked, becaus if x-box dossent get in the japanes marked it´s either PS3 or no console for lill michael, but thats a few years away annyway....

Its tradition for me to buy a Nintendo console, so just like the past I'll pick up the Revolution first, then PS3, then X-BOX 360. I plan to own all 3 next-gen systems just like now.

They made a crappy system in the N64

Uh, what?

The Nintendo 64 was a great system. It stood up with the PS in most areas (with the exception of audio, PS audio was fairly sick) while being about twenty times as durable. The console itself is fine, apart from the memory thing which is kinda baffling as it's the cheapest component in any good system... anyway...

With the exception of the memory shotcomings and Nintendos interesting pallette choices, the Nintendo 64 is as good a system as the PS if not better. The reason the PS won the "console war" was marketting in two facets; the cost of production and liscensing, and the focus and targetting of their liscensing.

I'll also challenge your saying that the PS2 won the second round. The PS2 is so inferior when paired with the raw power of the X-Box or the silent efficency of the Gamecube it's not funny. It breaks if you look at it wrong and it takes five hours to load the developers 10 second logo movie. The only reason Sony isn't sucking dicks in an alley for spare change is because they had an absolutely rediculous market share at the beginning, and Nintendo and Microsoft could not compete. That market share, however, began to decline as Microsft and the Big N threw out lucrative agreements to try and lure away publishers (The RE Deal comes to mind as one that could have really hurt Sony if Capcom hadn't backpeddled on it almost immediatly). So PS2 didn't so much win the second round so much as it didn't completely lose it. Sony lost major ground in round two and only "won", if you will, because of it's superior positioning at the start.

Round three will be interesting and if the X-Box gets some better, non-FPS games, then it will likely pull ahead. Sony has continually shown an exuberance for flooding the market with it's very poor quality consoles created in Mexican sweatshops with the cheapest components known to man, and no doubt the PS3 will ship completely defective and break down within 2 months of release. Big N has some momentum after delivering possibly the best video game ever last year and if the new LOZ is a GC release should have an absolutely huge spotlight on them. If they improve on the GC they'll be in good shape as long as their smarter marketting continues, but they have to this day shown every intention of shooting themself in the head by denying the impact of online gaming and refusing to put it out there. If that trend continues, they will lose and lose badly, but hopefully they smarten up and a year from now all you PS kiddies are crying as your remdial system is exposed for the defective piece of shit it is.

The only problem with Nintendo is Marketing. They hardly marketed Metroid Prime 2, and that was their AAA game for the holidays(Halo 2 for Microsoft and GTA for PS2) and look what happened, it didn't sell as well as the first.

IMO N64 had more quality games then PS. Nothing beats Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, StarFox 64, Mario Kart, Majoras Mask, the first 2 Mario Party games, No Mercy, and I could go on and on.

Edited by Laice_

The only problem with Nintendo is Marketing.  They hardly marketed Metroid Prime 2, and that was their AAA game for the holidays(Halo 2 for Microsoft and GTA for PS2) and look what happened, it didn't sell as well as the first.

They've made a turnaround from the N 64, however, the more human then human ads, Resident Evil 4... I mean Nintendo continues to push more kiddy crap then any parent could possibly afford, but at least it is also making games for teens and the younger adults rather then just 9 year olds now. And if they keep on that keel then they can really make some waves.

They've made a turnaround from the N 64, however, the more human then human ads, Resident Evil 4... I mean Nintendo continues to push more kiddy crap then any parent could possibly afford, but at least it is also making games for teens and the younger adults rather then just 9 year olds now. And if they keep on that keel then they can really make some waves.

The only problem with Nintendo is Marketing.  They hardly marketed Metroid Prime 2, and that was their AAA game for the holidays(Halo 2 for Microsoft and GTA for PS2) and look what happened, it didn't sell as well as the first.

IMO N64 had more quality games then PS.  Nothing beats Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, StarFox 64, Mario Kart, Majoras Mask, the first 2 Mario Party games, No Mercy, and I could go on and on.

I think its a joke to say that N64 had more quality games than the PS. Goldeneye was honestly the only N64 game that far out-rated anything PS did in a certain genre. PS had great games in every other aspect of what you list (RPG's to Flight Conbat sims). Also, I think Mario Party and No Mercy are more niche titles, so in the bigger picture aren't as important (and PS couldn't compete for those kinda games, due to it only being 2 player).

Also, a lot of my N64 mates even thought that a lot of the N64 games were over-rated and over-hyped. Perfect Dark was nothing special, as (and I may be in a minority) was Legend Of Zelda.

Lastly, as you rightfully said, they aimed too often at the younger audience. It was a mistake, and I think at times its carried over to the Gamecube, although they have rectified it.

EDIT: And for the 2nd Gen argument, if I wanted a mini-PC, I'd buy one. The X-Box strays way too close to that territory with its games that it isn't worth buying in my opinion. The Gamecube lacks the strength in the quality of thier games, and I believe PS2, even though it may not always be great (as you said, it seems to break easily) easily outdoes both of them on the relative quality of thier games. Sure, X-Box may have 1 or 2 great games that own what the PS2 puts out, but for sheer volumer of quality games, its hard to beat.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I think that as time goes on, we'll see more and more of the most popular gaming franchises becoming Xbox exclusive.

It already seems almost as though Microsoft has been trying to gain an advantage by buying out gaming companies and then making their titles Xbox exclusives. Fable is an example of this. Originally Lionhead planned to release the game for all consoles (at least according to what I read) but Microsoft bought Lionhead and that (of course) changed.

While Sony may have a good share of the gaming market, and may currently be on top of the gaming mountain so to speak, I'm not sure they can compete with the deep pockets of Microsoft.

Then again, Sony has fairly deep pockets (not as deep as Microsoft!) and the Playstation makes up the majority of their sales, while Microsoft has their hands in a lot of different things. So we'll see.

Mostly though, the only thing I can for sure predict about the next generation is that more games will become Microsoft exclusive.

It seems like most games from PS2 have eventually gone to be made on the X-Box. Well not most but a few good names. But X-Box has arguably the best series EVER. And that is the Halo series. I may be mistaken but the PS hasnt had anything nearly as successful that is exclusive to it. But me, I've had 2 PS2's. 1 broke and the casing is in my room sitting on my shelf while the otherone is mainly used for DVDs because the fact that I havent seen anything worth buying for it. But the X-Box has a hell of alot of good names. I use to think X-Box sucked but you have to acctually own one and get the feel of it before you make such an assumption. Dont get me wrong, im not trying to down play the PS systems, but so far X-Box has them beat IMO. Whether that will be the same when the Next Gen Systems come out remain to be seen. So Im not going to speculate who will be better then who until Im able to see and play both. But me, im gonna be getting the X-Box 360 because Im a Halo fan. I love the whole story and well, im not gonna any longer then I have to, to get it. So X-Box will be the first thing on my list.

:thumbsup:

I think Halo is over-rated, based on the simple thing that there have been better PC FPS's 2-3 years before it came out. Only console fans drool over it.....PC fans just laugh, as its nothing new or special really.

Plus I really never got into Halo....