Don't Believe The Truth

Different Cloud

Guest The Real Deal

Do believe the hype they're legends.

I cannot wait for this. Lyla rocks but I haven't managed to hear any others but if its from Oasis its certainly going to be good.

Well, they've been going for over a decade and they've produced some influential music, but I don't think they're legends *yet*. But they're shitloads better than Nirvana.

I might get the album. Didn't really like Lyla, but I'll see.

May not be legends but they're fucking awesome either way, one of the best bands for the past ten years by far.

The album has already been leaked to E-Bay and stuff or so I read. Not got a copy or anything as instead I'll wait till it comes out in shops. Looking to be great though. The Sun rated it really highly, just a little behind the Coldplay album.

Lyla sounds dull to me, I've never really been into them, but I expected more for a first single of the new album. Kudos to them, though, I can't figure out if/who it's ripping off yet...

To use a somewhat stretched analogy, Oasis were the Rolling Stones to Blur's Beatles, which is ironic considering Oasis' Beatles aspirations.

What I mean is that Oasis, like the Stones, found a formula that worked and stuck to it, so every album sounds pretty much the same, because they've realised that that's what people want to hear. Blur on the other hand, like the Beatles, diversified away from their original sound and matured greatly.

they've produced some influential music

???? To who? They aren't innovative, because they try to immitate The Beatles waaaaay too much. In any case, The beatles made influential music, Oasis hasn't. They aren't a bad group, but I doubt they will be remembered by many people 10 years from now.

Get your facts straight.

Edited by supergrass

Why are people saying Oasis have always sounded the same? I'm not talking about any of the other arguments, just this one.

If the Oasis had been the same since the first album i can honestly say i would still be happy whenever i heard the news a new Oasis album was going to be released, while nowadays i don't care much.

Morning Glory sounds like a BIG step between Definitely Maybe and Be Here Now, in a way that while it has some similarities between both albums has enough changes to make Definitely Maybe and Be Here Now be totally different albums.

Then you have Standing on The shoulder of Giants which if it wasn't for Gallagher's voice i would say it was a different band. I don't own Heathen Chemistry and i haven't listened to it much so i can't talk about that one.

In a very reductive way i could say they had always played britpop-rock but so have many other bands.

Guest Bluesman

What I mean is that Oasis, like the Stones, found a formula that worked and stuck to it, so every album sounds pretty much the same, because they've realised that that's what people want to hear. Blur on the other hand, like the Beatles, diversified away from their original sound and matured greatly.

Guest George

I'm pretty sure Oasis have influenced a lot of bands, The Killers are one band who are quite open to admitting Oasis influenced their approach to music. Just because you don't seem to like a band it doesn't mean they have nothing to offer. Also, while there are some Beatles influences in the music there aren't that many more than some other bands like T-Rex. I can see why people dislike that in a band, personally I enjoy seeing them bring together a lot of good aspects from other bands.

In the UK Oasis caused a huge 'boom', both musically and culturally. They're British legends at least, all these fucking crappy bands (see Keane, Kasabian etc) are clearly influenced by Oasis. Bands like Oasis, Blur and Radiohead are going to be remembered for years, you can count on that.