UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even without listening to much of this genre, I'd say the US are far and away better than the UK. With only a handful of really good acts in the UK (like Dizzee Rascal...whatever hs is classified as), we are miles behind the US.

But when you start going to D'n'B and Techno, we aren't so bad.

Guest Blade

too be honest as much as dizzee is sucessful i think he is still not that big i prefer tinchy stryder,ruff squad, roll deep, kano,ghetto and demon

If we're talking strictly talent, than I'd say on a per release basis I prefer the UK scene. The Streets, Dizzee and GLC alone pretty much ensure that. If we're talking success then it's not even close, because while American hip hop pretty much dominates the industry world wide, the UK scene is pretty much just emerging on an international stage.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I've made more talented noises with my asshole than any british rapper has made with his mouth. I remember when ChannelU was launched on SKY, it was like MTVBase but different, then it became mainly UK rap and thus became shit.

I'm sorry but as much as I can't take an American rapper seriously somtimes rappin' about this and that and actin' all tough, I seriously can't take a British rapper seriously about being tough. It's a stereotype, yes, but UK rappers suck, IMO. So yeah, American rappers are better, I guess.

The US scene is by far better. It's not even a contest to be fair. The UK have certainly got better lately but still that doesn't match what the US can produce when it comes to Rap music and so on. Although I do feel we have one of the best Garage (If you want to call them that, I wouldn't though) groups in The Streets.

Oh and Blade, the guys you named are hardly even heard of, apart from Kano. Sure they're heard of around places in the UK, but worldwide you wont get someone talking about Rolldeep and so on. In terms of popularity and record sells etc, it's no contest. There are some good rappers in the UK but some are just a bit over the top when it comes to half the London Garage talent.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

I'm sorry but as much as I can't take an American rapper seriously somtimes rappin' about this and that and actin' all tough, I seriously can't take a British rapper seriously about being tough. It's a stereotype, yes, but UK rappers suck, IMO. So yeah, American rappers are better, I guess.

Well if you like quantity you have the US.

If you want quality? Welcome to Canada and the UK. :P

I agree about the quality in Canada, sorta. K-OS is fucking awesome. Fuck the UK though.

America has plenty of quality rappers, though.

Guest Mr McFarlane

I agree about the quality in Canada, sorta. K-OS is fucking awesome. Fuck the UK though.

The UK Garage's scene is seriously getting bigger now. You've got Wiley, Titchy Strider, Jammer, and a whole host of others. Two mf my friends are actually in a crew, Young Merciless, watch out for them, they are actually pretty solid behind the microphone and they have got a fairly decent DJ helping them out now.

Methinks Tristy dislikes the idea of the UK having any good artists at all, Rap/Garage/Hip Hop or otherwise :P

There really is no contest - the US rap industry is a franchise, whereas in the UK we have an MC scene. As Wiley has said, it's difficult for most to make the transition from MC to an actual artist - hence the limited success of his, IMO, under-rated debut Treddin' On Thin Ice. Dizzee Rascal is pretty much the only product of the UK garage scene to become an artist, though Wiley and Kano are coming close. But then again, Dizzee says he "don't do hip-hop", so I guess it's still "grime".

An example of how people are evolving, take Wiley - from the Choice FM Roll Deep vs So Solid show, to some album lyrics.

I'm from the ghetto, better believe I roll deep

I know your girlfriend talks about roll deep

It's your fault she talks about roll deep

Coz she hears you talk about roll deep

My name's Wiley I'm straight from roll deep

You can't see me, coz I roll deep

Everyone talks about roll deep

I'm right at the top and I'll roll deep

Edited by fineintent

An example of how people are evolving, take Wiley - from the Choice FM Roll Deep vs So Solid show, to some album lyrics.

I'm from the ghetto, better believe I roll deep

I know your girlfriend talks about roll deep

It's your fault she talks about roll deep

Coz she hears you talk about roll deep

My name's Wiley I'm straight from roll deep

You can't see me, coz I roll deep

Everyone talks about roll deep

I'm right at the top and I'll roll deep

Guest Blade

JP your right in what you say the peole i mentioned may not be known worldwide but given the chance they probally could go worldwide because the u.k. is developing slowley but surely.