Neil Gaiman & Other Graphic Novel Inquiries

Skummy

Okay, so I'm assuming there's some Neil Gaiman fans in here that could perhaps recommend me some of his work. I was vaguely familiar with the Sandman series, and I'd read the short "Death" story with Tori Amos, and I've read "Good Omens", and I was impressed, but for some reason or another I'd never actively seeked out his work. Anyway, to cut a long story short, in the library today I ended up reading "A Game Of You" and absolutely loved it, so I want to know if anyone can recommend me some of his other material that's similar? Cheers.

Also, I'm currently reading "Maus", which I also adore, and I was wondering if you had any graphic novel recommendations in general, not counting Marvel, DC Comics or any manga, because I know enough of that already.

Thanks.

Battle Royale

100 Bullets (can buy in comic form or in book form)

I've had the Battle Royale book for quite some time, probably over a year now, but haven't got round to reading it all the way through, I had difficulty getting into it...is the graphic novel easier to get in to?

I don't really like the graphic novels, and personally I think the book is infinitely better. Or you could get the movie, which I *still* haven't seen.

But yeah, if there's one graphic novel series you must read before you die, it's The Sandman. Start at the beginning, and read through to the end (if you're really short on cash, you could skip the short story collections, but I recomend against it).

Graphic Novel is easier to get into but probably more "gimmicky" than the book.

Basically the book is magnificent and the graphic novels are decent to see the story unfold and it's really fan boy, making some of the cooler characters extra cool, especially Kawada who was ruined in the film IMO.

EWB's semi-official Comic Book Guy says...

"Wow. You guys have good taste. Bravo." :thumbsup:

I'd recommend these as well (and welcome any thoughtful dissenting opinions anyone would care to venture):

Conan by Dark Horse - Classic sword and sorcery done in a semi-painted style that makes it comfortably familiar yet different from anything else on the market today.

Planetary - The X-Files meets The X-Men. Explores just about every cliche theme in fantasy/sci-fi and tries to put a new spin on it, from ghostly Hong Kong cops to Monster Island to Tarzan. A little convoluted at times, but the conspiracy is part of its schtick.

Sin City - Like the movie or not, the comics are pretty classic noir fare. Frank Miller took the dead crime genre and reinvented it for a modern audience.

300 - Frank Miller takes his style from Sin City to a tale of 300 Spartan soldiers faced with the onslaught of the entire Persian Army. An amazing true story expertly told.

The Walking Dead - Anyone marking out for Monsieur Hamstah's latest Cube offering should definitely give this a look. Zombie holocaust comics have never been so... dare I say?... literate. Enough gore for the genre, but enough actual drama to make you care about someone when they get eaten.

Watchmen - Alan Moore's classic deconstruction of the super hero genre. Stories within stories and characterizations that have strongly influenced the modern characterizations of many marquee characters. Almost a primer in how to do super heroes without pandering to children.