NASCAR A Sport?

Tarheels.

Is Nascar a sport to you  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nascar a sport to you

• Yes
    • No

The dictionary definition of sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." To me, steering a car doesn't constitute physical activity - or else truck drivers would call themselves athletes. People engage in Poker competively but it's not a sport; it's a hobby, or a competition at best. No way a sport.

Wahey driving round in circles - I don't get it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I sit in a grueling hot car (for all purposes lets say the air conditioner is busted) and take a hundred-plus mile trip somewhere do I get to be an athlete?

Nah.

Guest TheTokenWhiteGuy

It's more of an endurance question, going way over 100 miles, for 100 miles in a hot car might be harder than driving 100s of miles going a normal speed, surrounded by cars going the normal speed.

Competitive Stop and Go exists. It's called everyday New York metro driving. :shifty

It must be fairly difficult to drive in excess of 150 miles an hour for nearly 4 hours constantly. In conditions over 120 degrees F. And be able to have reflexes to avoid wrecks. Talented drivers yes, athletes - not in your normal sense.

Sports, to me, are athletic competitions with actual athletic components. No disrespect to NASCAR or it's fans, but besides it being a test of endurance there are no real athletic components. To me, it's not a really a sport... It's more of a highly skillful competitive activity.

If I started a professional Twister league which participants must play the game in full winter clothing, in the dead of summer, and each game would last 5 hours long... would that be considered a sport? It's long, it gets extremely hot, people are constantly moving around, one's balance and poise play a huge part in the game, it's test of endurance, it's a competition... but is it a sport?

Ok, bad example, but you get my drift. What I'm saying is, I have respect for NASCAR drivers. It takes skill doing what they do at the speed, for that long, under the conditions they face while doing it, but it's no more of an athletic competition than my winter clothing summer Twister league is.

Guest TheTokenWhiteGuy

What those runners and other athletes are doing is using endurance, reflexes and strength, the same thing a NASCAR driver uses.