Funeral For a Friend

YI

That's right two weeks until the new FFAF album comes out. The single was released on Monday and IMO is fucking brilliant. They've definately matured as a band. (I'm surprised not to have seen it played as much, i've only seen it once on Kerrang (By accident) and that was at like 2am) Anyways, anybody heard "Streetcar" any other stuff off the upcoming album, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't got it yet, but i'll give my thoughts on it whenever i get it. Anyway, i can say i liked when i first heard Seven ways to scream your name. While i didn't think of Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation (which i heard later) as a worse album as a whole, i just didn't listen to it as much because i didn't think there were great songs on it. Let's see what comes out of this one.

If I said I didn't listen to them, would all you emo kids start weeping in a corner? >_>

Honestly, I dunno if I'll check out the new album, probably on the cheap if I do, like with the last album. The last album I found was good, but kinda just dragged towards the end, so hopefully they have a more solid effort IMO.

I'm more interested in the new Finch, in the emo side of things.

I wouldn't label FFAF as an 'emo' band as such. There's definately strong elements there, but I see them more as a 'rock' band to be perfectly honest. And the new Finch stuff is meant to be pretty good, a lot different to the last album (Which I liked). Personally I found CDADIC dragged around the middle. Following Escape Artists Never Die I normally skip a few tracks (Storytelling is good), it's not until around Red Is The New Black it gets itneresting again. Personally i'm a fan of the last two songs, possibly my favourites on the album. I agree, whilst the album is good you do get the feeling it could be better.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

Personally, I don't get people who believe FFAF are not emo, but meh, I think the term emo is the new nu-metal, as in, people assume it has a negative stigma about it.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

The problem that confuses some people is that nowadays if a lead singer screams during a song people will call it emo, while it has nothing to do with it. Sunny Day Real Estate were a great emo band and they're songs weren't like that at all. Emo is good (maybe not for jocks or tuffs but it's good). I would label FFAF faster as a metal band than an emo band, but i would call them a rock band with lots of influences. :P

As for people cheering or booing it has to do with the alternative fashion that is in vogue. "Alternative" People used to love emo a few years ago, but now is out of fashion and that grew to the emo-core's and screamo's and so on. Around 97 it seemed like everyone in the world would create a third wave Ska-punk band. Trends come and go, and some people move along with them.

btw, I like jimmy eat World too.

JEW are pretty good. I only ever got "Bleed American", whilst it was good it wasn't amazing by any means.

I hate to be one of those stuck up people about genres and the such, however most people who bash "screamo" have never heard a 'proper screamo band' in their life, for the most part. Screamo bands are normally technically quite tight. Shit like Saetia, Circle Takes The Square, The Avenging Disco Godfathers (Partly/mostly because of the name), Hot Cross and Grade. However screamo is like hardcore, you have to search through a bunch of shit to find something that is good ands stands out. For those 5 bands that are good, there's around 15 that are raging shite.

FFAF are pretty much slap bang in the emo category really, half the time it's more about the look than the music, although many would disagree. It's the constant trend that constantly evolves.

Nu Metal -> Skater Pop Punk -> Emo -> Hardcore

Yes, apparantly 'hardcore' is the new trend and all the kids are doing it. So watch out in the pits, you're gonna be getting skinny little "hardcore" kids who used to be emo kids, swinging there arms around trying hardcore dance. :P

Funeral were at Subculture (local Rock club) last night, they guest DJs, played some pretty good music, and dragsy didn't come, because he sucks.

But yeah, I like the new song, and I love the old album. That is all.

FFAF are pretty much slap bang in the emo category really, half the time it's more about the look than the music, although many would disagree. It's the constant trend that constantly evolves.

Nu Metal -> Skater Pop Punk -> Emo -> Hardcore

Yes, apparantly 'hardcore' is the new trend and all the kids are doing it. So watch out in the pits, you're gonna be getting skinny little "hardcore" kids who used to be emo kids, swinging there arms around trying hardcore dance. :P

I'd much rather have some skinny kids in a pit, then I can feel like a big man. ATM with huge guys in combats and boots flying about kung-fu-ing each other, I get seven shades of shit kicked out of me. But I guess that's half the fun.

I've also come to a conclusion that pretty much every band are 'emo' - people call Thrice emo, Taking Back Sunday emo, FFAF emo, Fugazi emo and none of them sound remotely like each other. I do hate this idea of 'emo' behaviour and lifestyle, like writing shitting poetry.

I was out one night at this local gig, trying to shill my own band and my mate's band. So one of my mates starts talking to this girl, and says "Oh, do you like Biffy Clyro?" "No" she says "They're indie". So he hands her a demo "Are you emo?" she asks. "Er, yeah I guess we sort of are" he replies, given that they're sort of emo/screamo whatever. "No, are you emo?" Then we just walked away. People are so fucking easy to stereotype, I swear.

I saw FFAF and Finch at the start of the year (Give it a Name, or emofest as we dubbed it), FFAF were quite good, Finch were the shit... Actually, no, Finch were just shit. The new FFAF stuff is alright, nothing special, Roses for the Dead is a good song, and Streetcar is very good. Nothing else excites me about them. Bands like FFAF are a dozen a dime at the moment, and none of them are that good to be honest.

GIAN > Ollie.

Hmmmm...

Me Against You - Shite

Fightstar - Hilariously shite. We started a chant of 'Year 3000', and some guy close to us started a chant of 'You Suck Cock' then he accidentaly passed it around to Fightstar's manager!

Mae - Shite

Lucky Nine - Alright

Alexisonfire - Shite

Rise Against - Alright

MC Lars - Cunt

Cohhed & Cambria - Good

Finch - Shite

FFAF - Alright.

I'd say I'm at least on par with GIAN :D

Me Against You, meh.

Fightstar, better than you.

Mae, way better than you.

Lucky Nine, meh.

Alexisonfire, way better than you.

Rise Against, better than you.

MC Lars, bwaha, gangsta, better than you.

Coheed, WAY WAY WAY WAY better than you.

Finch, better than you.

FFAF, better than you.

You're not on par with GIAN, you're just shite.