Man United Thread

Jook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PlagueUK

4-2 now, I don't think they should have brough Fletcher on. He's getting the through balls, sure they're not all great but he's about 5 steps behind the defenders each time and not going for it.

Sloppy defending on the fenerbahce goals too.

4-2 now, I don't think they should have brough Fletcher on. He's getting the through balls, sure they're not all great but he's about 5 steps behind the defenders each time and not going for it.

Sloppy defending on the fenerbahce goals too.

That's crap. The passes were awful... he can't be expected to play a pass and then gallop Darren Campbell-speed to get to a poor return ball played way to far ahead of him.

As for the game, poor defensively at times, but I blame that on the midfielders not tracking back since the defence seemed overrun at times during the 2nd half.

Rooney looked as good as i've ever seen him.... all 3 goals were brilliantly taken and while i know he's gonna have an awesome season I just hope Smith doesn't get forgotten about sat on the bench because he's still been the most impressive Utd player this season.

Oh, and in other news, Gabriel Heinze is still awesome...

Guest Red Devil

A very good match, Rooney was superb, better then i could ever imagine on his debut. We looked extremly strong when we attacked which was great. Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson let us down in not tracking back which probably cost us the 2 goals but they'll learn to do that more and more as they play. All round a great performance and now we're looking like we can beat anyone.

You'll probably put this down to me being an Arsenal fan, but the only thing that truely impressed me was Wayne Rooney. Everything else was pretty much the same stuff we've seen from Man Utd so far this season. In other words, not much. Ferdinand is getting into his grove, but Silvestre needs to improve drastically. IMO, Rooney was superb, everyone else was sub-standard if that. Good win, but if you had faced a team that even tried to win, I reckon you would've lost.

An excellent win in my opinion, but the fact that there were eight goals in a Champion's League Game regardless of the teams is pretty poor. United dominated throughout and Fenerbache never showed any attacking presence. The defending by both teams was awful and United were unlucky to conceed the two goals. Rooney, allthough getting alot of the praise, could have done better I thought. He was always a threat but never created anything for other players...A little greedy in that respect but as long as there's goals I don't see much to worry about.

He set up bellion and tried to find van Nistelrooy whenever he got the ball. I hate the way because he scored a hat trick he's greedy. Whats the point in setting up a team mate when you can score a goal?

Silvestre out played Ferdinand so he does not need to "improve drastically" as monkey claims.

An unbiased, non Arsenal fan, opinion:

- Rooney was excellent, absolutely mind blowing. Has the potential to be the best player the country has seen since Bobby Moore.

- Silvestre was awful. What happened to him? Rio on the other hand looked sharp, as did Heinze and Carroll.

- Is there any point to Bellion, Djemba Djemba and Kleberson being on the pitch? They were practically non-existant and anybody else could have done what Bellion and Kleberson did. United need to pray Keane and Scholes stay fit and out of bother.

- Poor Alan Smith. Goodbye to his United career, with Rooney, RVN and Saha all ahead of him he'll have a tough time.

- Where are all Man Utd's homegrown talent? Is Fletcher it? There seems to be no space for a British youngster to come through - which is a shame for a team who once had Beckham, the Nevilles, Butt, Scholes and Giggs emerging.

Still (ugh as a Spurs fan) think Arsenal will win it - but United will be in and around it come the end of the season.

Guest Downloading_Man

Djemba-Djemba was an absolute joke. That was one of the worst outfield performances I have ever seen from a Man U player.

Get rid of Djemba-Djemba now. If he's still playing in the knockout stages it WILL cost Man U.

Barring Giggs' goal the 'Kleber' was poor as well.

With everyone back Man U are going to be an awesome side. Thats the first time in years I've been able to say that. Still need more quality defenders, and maybe a superkepper (Not just an OK-Good one)

- Poor Alan Smith. Goodbye to his United career, with Rooney, RVN and Saha all ahead of him he'll have a tough time.

- Where are all Man Utd's homegrown talent? Is Fletcher it? There seems to be no space for a British youngster to come through - which is a shame for a team who once had Beckham, the Nevilles, Butt, Scholes and Giggs emerging.

AHEAD of Smith? i don't think so really... Saha definately is not and the other 3 will rotate. For one, the fans already love Smith and there's no way Fergie would get away with leaving him constantly on the bench. Don't forget when we did the treble we had Sheringham, Cole, Yorke and Solskjaer and Fergie managed to keep them all involved.

We have plenty of homegrown talent, just that they weren't invovled tonight. Giggs, Scholes, G. Neville, P. Neville, Fletcher, Brown, Richardson, O'Shea.... plus there's some others who will come through in the next 2 years like Spector and Eagles.

And as for British players

Carroll

G. Neville

Ferdinand

Brown

P. Neville

Fletcher

Keane

Scholes

Giggs

Smith

Rooney

There's a full XI of British players and that's without including Miller, Richardson and O'Shea.

In fact, not only is that a British team, it's a GOOD british team... imo we still have the best homegrown/british contingent.

Djemba-Djemba was an absolute joke. That was one of the worst outfield performances I have ever seen from a Man U player.

Get rid of Djemba-Djemba now. If he's still playing in the knockout stages it WILL cost Man U.

Barring Giggs' goal the 'Kleber' was poor as well.

With everyone back Man U are going to be an awesome side. Thats the first time in years I've been able to say that. Still need more quality defenders, and maybe a superkepper (Not just an OK-Good one)

Correct. I'm someone who has always tried to stick up for Djemba-Djemba but he was absolutely awful last night. Kleberson did ok I thought.

But there's no way we need any more defenders or keepers. Howard and Carroll are both young but just because Howard's made a couple of mistakes recently he isn't a good keeper any more? Hell, Schmeichel (best keeper EVER imo) made mistakes... quite often sometimes... Howard had a couple of bad games so Fergie took him out and put in Carroll who is just as good... and pretty unlucky to only be number 2.

As for defenders we have plenty. Rio, Brown, the Neville's, Silvestre, O'Shea and Heinze are plenty... plus most of them are young stilll. Along with John Spector they could be around for a long time.

Although I can see where you're coming from, I still disagree. Rooney got his goals by assist of other people. He got himself into great positions, he applied a great finish but would'nt have scored a thing if others didn't work with him. Rooney was greedy...all strikers are, but by the way he immediatly went for the ball when the free kick was given despite there being talks between Giggs, Kleberson and others just shows that he was only concerned about himself scoring the goals.

Although I can see where you're coming from, I still disagree. Rooney got his goals by assist of other people. He got himself into great positions, he applied a great finish but would'nt have scored a thing if others didn't work with him. Rooney was greedy...all strikers are, but by the way he immediatly went for the ball when the free kick was given despite there being talks between Giggs, Kleberson and others just shows that he was only concerned about himself scoring the goals.

He hadn't played for 3 months, Man Utd spent 30million on him. I'd say he was just excited to show what he can do - I expect him to take the Cantona role behind RVN and supply more goals.

And Whisper I meant homegrown youngsters - not proven players like the Nevilles, or Americans like Spector. There is no space in that team for a younger player to come through - apart from maybe when Keane or Giggs leave, but I see Man Utd buying big to combat that.

Edited by public enemy

Guest Small Blue

I actually hope Man Utd. don't buy big once Keane and Giggs leave. That would give us two extra ego's when we don't need them. Back in the day, when Man Utd. were at their peak, they had homegrown talent left-right-and-centre with every player having known their teammates for years. That was the X-Factor that our team had when we won the treble. You don't need big players to win matches, he should hone the skills of Richardson and Fletcher by giving them a lot more Premiership appearances. I say this season, as there is still time, give all of the promising reserves (regardless of position) atleast ten games off the bench.

That's the way forward. Honing, not buying big. Why do you think Chelsea are never impressive in Premiership games? They have all new players with big egos and most probably don't speak the same language. Simplicity.

Brown 'to leave Man Utd'

England defender Wes Brown looks set to leave Manchester United in January after rejecting a new contract.

The 24-year-old will become a free agent in the summer, but United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said he hoped to recoup some money for the player.

Ferguson told the Guardian newspaper: "We've made the boy an offer and he's turned it down. It's his decision.

"There are no more talks planned that I'm aware of. We'd like to avoid the situation where he leaves on a free."

Brown is believed to be one of the club's lowest earners and is said to have requested a sizeable increase in salary during recent negotiations, a sum United's money men were not willing to meet.

Ferguson said he would still "love" Brown to stay at the club but that "if he wants to look elsewhere, that's up to him".

And he blamed the decision by the United defender on a change in agent.

"He has changed his agent - I don't know why," said Ferguson.

"He's got an agent that has given him advice that I do not understand. I think the problem is with the agent, not the player."

Goalkeeper Roy Carroll is the other main figure out of contract at Old Trafford at the end of the season.

sorce bbc.