Man United Thread

Jook

Yeah I watched in between decorating....

Park impressed me again, his energy levels are awesome and he took his goal pretty well too. Ruud's finishing was poor again, i have no idea what's up with him at the moment, must just be a confidence thing.

Is anyone else really excited about Ronaldo this season? He just looks a lot stronger and, if possible, quicker. He's looking on top form even ithis early in pre-season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficulty to know how he'll adapt to the Premiership. But he should get his fair share of games and from first looks he seems to be fitting in quite well with the rest of the squad and our style of play. But, don't expect him to be a regular who starts 30+ league games a season.

Yeah I watched in between decorating....

Park impressed me again, his energy levels are awesome and he took his goal pretty well too. Ruud's finishing was poor again, i have no idea what's up with him at the moment, must just be a confidence thing.

Is anyone else really excited about Ronaldo this season? He just looks a lot stronger and, if possible, quicker. He's looking on top form even ithis early in pre-season.

Scholes got the official man of the match... the one awarded at the game with the trophy and everything. I have no idea who got the MUTV one.

I don't doubt that Ruud will come good again, it just needs to happen sooner rather than later. If it doesn't then the manager will seriously have to consider dropping him. Playing him when he's off form could hurt us, only have to look at the Cup Final to see that.

And is it me or does Lou Macari hate Alan Smith? After the match he was going on about how to play in midfield you needed good awareness and to be a good passer of the ball and that's not Smith's strengths. That's complete rubbish, Smith's passing is one of his best qualities. You watch any game he's played in for us, he always does the simple thing and hardly ever gives the ball away. Then he called Smith a goalscorer which he isn't by any means, he's never been a regular goalscorer. He's always been a target man who provides goals for the other forwards. In my opinion Smith is perfectly suited to playing in Midfield and I would certainly try him there in the Champions League qualifier at least.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

You're completely right about Macari's comments on Smith, me and my Dad were talking about that yesterday. I guess it stems down to the fact that he was once a player himself, as a traditionalist thats probably why he doesn't seem to approve of players being played out of position (Smith in midfield, Rooney on the wing). He's still a pretty good pundet though, always seems to know what he's talking about and not quite as bias as some of the others (read:Paddy Crerand :P )

Not surprised Scholes got Man Of The Match, despite only playing the first-half he was sharp enough to get his two goals. He's really had a good pre-season thus far Scholes, even when he's not scoring he always seems up-for-it. Hoping to see a lot more goals from him this season...

Well, on paper it looks like much more of a bad result than it actually is.

Truth be told, you don't want to win every Pre-Season game 14-0 in the case of Villa this year or 10-0 in Arsenal's case last year. Although it does wonders for some player's confidence, it would only take a Champions League game to allow them to realise that things just aren't that easy on a perminant basis. Sometimes a loss can be just what the doctor ordered in terms of motivation for the upcoming campaign. That said, I'm sure that before the match not a single United fan would've bought the fact that they'd be on the losing side today and I'm almost certain that its not what the manager would have wanted either.

Again the ghosts of last season still haunt us; numerous chances in which we failed through one-way or another to convert. If we can take anything from the game today its that tactical changes need to be made, the one front-man system has proved once again its ineffectiveness. It's hardly the end of the world, we put in a great performance and our players gained a great workout. Fair play to Kashima for coming away with a victory they'll be delighted with...

To be fair though, we SHOULD have won it. We were the better team for the most part and we just defended poorly at times. But you have to take into account that Japanese football is pretty good these days and Kashima are in the middle of their season and top of league. It was always going to be a tough game, they'll be fully fit as well as confident.

I think we can take heart from the performance overall but you're right about the formation. 4-4-2 is the only way for a United team to play. We've got two of the best wingers in the world and we're not using them as well as we could be.

Anyone have any updates on Park? That looked a pretty nasty cut, i'm guessing stitches were needed...

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Saha to miss season start

Manchester United's pre-season preparations have been dealt a blow with the news that Louis Saha's injury troubles have again come back to haunt the French striker.

The former Fulham man has struggled with a series of injuries during his time at Old Trafford and will now miss the start of the Premiership season after being sidelined for "a number of weeks" after undergoing knee surgery.

After enduring a difficult pre-season, in which he failed to score, Saha has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

It is a blow to Sir Alex Ferguson although it is highly unlikely that the striker would have been in his plans for the starting line-up.

Ferguson likes to have four forwards to call upon but has been exploring the prospect of reinventing Alan Smith as a midfield ball-winner. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's progress in his bid to return from long-term injury is a bonus and United should still have enough cover in the attacking positions.

Nevertheless, the sale of Phil Neville to Everton has increased speculation that United may have one more signing up their sleeve before the transfer deadline at the end of August, although a midfielder would seem more of a priority than a striker at the moment.

United deny Owen talk

Manchester United have denied making a move for England international Michael Owen.

Owen would appear to be available for transfer from Real Madrid and it had been claimed that The Red Devils had joined Newcastle in the pursuit of the speedy striker.

A spokesman for Real Madrid stated United had made an enquiry, but the Old Trafford outfit have been quick to pour cold water on the report.

"We have had no contact with Real Madrid over Michael Owen," stated Manchester United communications director Phil Townsend.

The denial from Manchester is sure to come as a relief to Newcastle, as they are eager to recruit Owen and the path could be clear for them to thrash out a deal.

The stumbling block could be Owen's reticence to join Newcastle, due to their failure to secure a place in Europe, and he may well hold out for a bigger move.

So it's official... Ferdinand has penned a four-year extension to his contract. Thank fuck that's sorted. Last thing ManU want on the first day of the season on Saturday is for their fans to be booing their own players.

So it's official... Ferdinand has penned a four-year extension to his contract. Thank fuck that's sorted. Last thing ManU want on the first day of the season on Saturday is for their fans to be booing their own players.

EDIT: Actually, myabe not.

But yeh, this game is going to end up 10-0. All one way traffic.

What is with Utd's pitch? It bugs me, it has all these horrible light green blobs over it.

Edited by Gooner4Life

I'm really surprised Roy Keane hasn't been sent off yet. I believe I've heard that's five fouls he's comitted since his booking. I don't know how he has gotten away with it.

Pfft, just as I was typing this post Alan Smith came on for him...

I wasn't even paying 100% attention to the game but I seen at least two that should have been second bookings.

Not that I'm moaning or bitching about it. I'd rather see United with 11 men and have a decent game.