Game Boy...Micro?

oldskool

May 17, 2005 - The Game Boy is reborn once again, as Nintendo today announced the Game Boy Micro, a stylish (and surprisingly small) retooling of the Game Boy Advance. Measuring 4 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 0.7 inches deep; and weighing just 2.8 ounces, the silver-clad Micro is probably the slickest -- or at the very least, most portable -- Game Boy hardware yet. Better yet, it will play all the GBA and Game Boy games currently handled by the GBA SP.

In addition to the small size, the Micro features a 2-inch backlit screen, swappable front plates, and screen brightness adjustment. Like the SP, the Micro includes a built-in, rechargeable battery - in this case, Lithium Ion.

"We're making the gorgeous Game Boy Micro for image-conscious folks who love video games, the ones who want the look of their system to be as cool as the games they play on it," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Because of its diminutive size and industrial-hip look, Game Boy Micro immediately identifies the person playing it as a trendsetter with discriminating style."

The Game Boy Micro is scheduled to ship this fall. We'll bring you even more on the system as more news comes in. Stay tuned.

game-boy-micro-20050517112452698-000.jpg

Why a third GBA? You screwed up the first one and fixed it with the second...so now you make a third?

Oh well. I was going to upgrade my original GBA to an SP, and now that this Micro is coming out I'll get a cheaper SP out of it.

"We're making the gorgeous Game Boy Micro for image-conscious folks who love video games, the ones who want the look of their system to be as cool as the games they play on it," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Because of its diminutive size and industrial-hip look, Game Boy Micro immediately identifies the person playing it as a trendsetter with discriminating style."

He's got his mind set on youuuuuuuuuuuu

I've got the GBA SP, and if it was any smaller, I wouldn't be able to handle it. Granted, this thing is a bit wider than the body of the SP, but still, this is a tad ridiculous.

Games will still be made for the GBA even if the GBA itself fades away as the DS has a GBA game slot. The GBA Micro looks awesome by the way, as long as I can fit my GBA wireless adapter onto it, I'll snag me one of them babies.

Isn't this meant to be more like a fashion accesory. That and the fact that the new DS and PSP aren't really that portable whereas this will fit basically anywhere. New keyring ahoy :)

Guest Grapehead

1. Too fucking small, the SP is hard enough to handle.

2. People wonder why Nintendo is losing to Sony and Microsoft. This is why. Why are they wasting time redesigning old consoles when they have a modern replacement out for it already?

The Game Boy is one of the few reasons Nintendo still makes money, or at least isnt dead yet. The Game Boy Advance, every version of it, has been extremely successful. The fact that the DS is out wont change it, the DS system and games are still priced way higher then the Game Boy. Plus, I really like some of the games that are coming to the GBA, and have enjoyed all the Mario titles so far.

2. People wonder why Nintendo is losing to Sony and Microsoft. This is why. Why are they wasting time redesigning old consoles when they have a modern replacement out for it already?

Lol, does it look like they poured a lot of time and money into the redesign? Because if you think they did, you're mistaken. It's a simple 'upgrade' to keep the gameboy looking up to date while they finish up the Revolution and begin serious work on the next Gameboy system. You'd be surprised what small things you are capable of holding, but if you reckon it's too small than don't buy it, but there's a million people that a small design appeals to.

Yeah. The ONLY gameboy I can play comfortably is the old school grey brick.

Gameboy.JPG

I wish I never threw it away. I had to cellotape the back on, but it worked. And I bought it when I was about 6 at a carboot sale for £5 with a bunch of games I still play today on my GBA. Which I'd play more often if the cartridge didn't stick RIGHT out like a complete spaz-stick.

Guest Grapehead

Lol, does it look like they poured a lot of time and money into the redesign? Because if you think they did, you're mistaken. It's a simple 'upgrade' to keep the gameboy looking up to date while they finish up the Revolution and begin serious work on the next Gameboy system. You'd be surprised what small things you are capable of holding, but if you reckon it's too small than don't buy it, but there's a million people that a small design appeals to.