Would you recommend Nintendo DS?

EZE

Now ive been bugged for about a year by the allure of playing some of nintendos Classic games. IMO you cant beat the old school games for gameplay. I like 'em simple graphics, nothing fancy just 100% gameplay fun. The release of Nintendo DS perked my interest around christmas and new year but the cost of new releases (£29) put me off. Has anybody here got one and would you recommend it? Is it worth the cost of the games. Granted the Classics which ill end up buyhing are cheaper but im sure to get some of the DS enabled games (all Gameboy games play on the DS) like the wario game (which was incredibly addictive when I tried it in a shop. Stupid, but damn addictive... which is coool.).

So.. to buying the Nintendo DS or whatever the latest handheld is... Yay or Nay? Cost to Fun ratio is what im interested in. Im not bothered about graphics. If I wanted top notch graphics Id play my playstation :).

Cheers for any help and pearls of wisdom.

I say Yay. Free online play will soon be coming to the Nintendo DS, it has really innovative games such as Pac Pix, Another Code and WarioWare! Touched as you mentioned. The real version is an awful lot more addictive by the way. Nintendogs will also be a worthwhile purchase when released. You can do single cart multiplayer with most multiplayer games such as Mario Kart (and online too!) and Super Mario 64 DS. If you're into Pokemon, the DS games get released in November in the US and the DS is completley region free. You also have PictoChat, which is like MSN Messenger's handwriting feature to message up to 16 people at a time, and now most games will tell you when someone within wireless range has entered PictoChat.

If that doesn't have you wanting a DS, don't get one.

hehe. Cant say I was ever interested in the tv shows, though the games follow the simple classic nintendo rpg elements so im sure I can enjoy them. My biggest concern was whether the gameplay/longevity was worth the prices that were approaching the cost of PS2 games. I remember when you could get a game gear game for less than £15...

For really old Ninty games, wait for the Revolution, you'll be able to download NES,SNES and N64 games, including ones that weren't ever released in the UK such as Earthbound and Hey You! Pikachu!.

And yes as Dan says I am a Nintendo fanboy, but I have a PS2 as well.

I bought a DS about 2 months ago, I think its fantastic.

Granted, there aren't a lot of games out at the moment that are worth having, but its still fairly early days for the consoles lifespan.

Personally, I was only going to buy a PSP just for the huge amount of hacks you can get for it, including the ability to emulate hundreds of different games. Other than that, theres nothing that interests me about it.

I was test playing one on Game yesterday...it's not very fun. I was playing some Yoshi game, and it was just crap. I'd honestly wait until the price was HALVED before buying it.

Not to mention two screens is a bit annoying. AND the thing is tiny. I can barely touch the buttons one at a time. I feel sorry for fat folk who won't be able to play it at all.

I'd rather get a PSP. And I'm no fanboy of any console makers.

I suppose it'll say on the box if stylus is required or optional. Plus DS can still play all the GBA games right? Thats what I read...

meh dont know anyone with one (hence why ive been asking questions here) so im not bothered about the lack of multiplayer capability.

I say that you should wait for one. There'll be a better selection when games like New Super Mario Bros, Trauma Center, and Metroid Prime: Hunters are available, and it might be cheaper.

Well, that and the new Kirby release coming out that people are raving about...