Tim Westwood: Your Not Black!

Psicosis

That's because there aren't many middle aged men who were influenced by hip-hop culture. Give it 20 years, and a shitload of middle aged men will speak like that as our generation ages.

And I'll still hate it then. I hate it when white people my age do it, hell I hate it when black people my age do it. It's a mangled form of English that absolutely sickens me, and there's no need for it. These people didn't grow up in a ghetto in Harlem or whatever, they grew up in council estates in fucking Essex or whatever, and it's just ridiculous to hear them talking like that.

I don't care if you're influenced by hip hop culture, I don't care what you're influenced by. I'm influenced by American music, I'm influenced by American films, American literature, American television, do I speak with an American accent? Do I fuck.

I've listened to The Ramones my whole life, do I speak like Joey Ramone? No. And I'd probably kick anyone who does in the face.

Slightly back on topic, Tim Westwood is a cunt, fact. If you want any further proof, feel free to direct your queries in the direction of Skumfrog, I'm in an argumentative mood.

That's because there aren't many middle aged men who were influenced by hip-hop culture. Give it 20 years, and a shitload of middle aged men will speak like that as our generation ages.

And I'll still hate it then. I hate it when white people my age do it, hell I hate it when black people my age do it. It's a mangled form of English that absolutely sickens me, and there's no need for it. These people didn't grow up in a ghetto in Harlem or whatever, they grew up in council estates in fucking Essex or whatever, and it's just ridiculous to hear them talking like that.

I don't care if you're influenced by hip hop culture, I don't care what you're influenced by. I'm influenced by American music, I'm influenced by American films, American literature, American television, do I speak with an American accent? Do I fuck.

I've listened to The Ramones my whole life, do I speak like Joey Ramone? No. And I'd probably kick anyone who does in the face.

Slightly back on topic, Tim Westwood is a cunt, fact. If you want any further proof, feel free to direct your queries in the direction of Skumfrog, I'm in an argumentative mood.

Well then that's not hypocritical. If you don't like anyone talking in hip-hop slang, that's fine. Complaining about someone talking in hip-hop slang purely because their white is not.

For the most part, I don't like anyone talking in hip-hop slang, for reasons I've outlined earlier. But Westwood's the worst, because there is no way he can legitimately talk like that, he's so obviously putting it on that it's just pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just checking out his latest show on the BBC website for the new Kayne tracks, and i've never heard such a tryhard. They grabbed a guy with a broad English accent and mixed him with every single rap cliche and gun sound effect. He also has some of the poorest interview skills i've heard (and we have Rove in our country). I also found it pretty funny to hear him yelling about hosting Pimp My Ride UK. Does anyone take this guy seriously or is he considered a joke in the UK?

As for how credible Westwood is, even Sara Cox (for those who don't know, she's also a radio presenter on the same station, and is equally annoying for different reasons) doesn't take him seriously, and makes fun of him constantly (well, two years ago she did, don't know about now because I listen to radio one as little as possible).I don't hate Westwood because of his hip-hop slang, I hate him because it's so obviously fake hip-hop slang.

It takes him a year to say a simple sentance, because there are so many THIS IS THE BIG DOGG BABY GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL stupid cliche's in there DROPPIN' THE BOMB ON THIS, YO, that's it's often hard to make out what he's KEEPIN' IT REAL ON RADIO ONE saying.

Would you take this thing seriously if it started attempting to rap at you?:

tim_westwood_jpg.jpg

As for the whole "this race does this" thing. To a certain extent it's true. Sure, black people are welcome to play the guitar and stuff, but white people talk "like that" because it's cool. Black people talk like that because that's how their culture has influenced them.

Note that it's not ALL black people. Derek from BB is a good example. It's only the black people from a hip-hop background/culture. Black people can be posh, black people can be guitarists, black people can be whatever they fucking want. Pretending to be something to look cool is just sad. And I'd say that about anything, not just Westwood because I hate rap.

That's the crucial difference between Westwood and Eminem. Eminem grew up with hip-hop, and is actually, ya know, a rapper. Westwood got a job at a radio station playing hip-hop records, and started talking in a rediculous unintentional parody of hip-hop culture to make himself look cool. I even heard him say "nigga" a few times (not on radio though, unfortunately. Him being fired would be cool), which is completely retarded, because even white rappers don't say nigga. That's strictly a black thing for a reason (or do they? If they do then meh...I'm behind with the times or whatever).

Like I said, anyone being fake for the purpose of looking cool or being more popular needs to go to hell. I hope you can hear me, Avril.

Edited by TheReilDeal

As for the whole "this race does this" thing. To a certain extent it's true. Sure, black people are welcome to play the guitar and stuff, but white people talk "like that" because it's cool. Black people talk like that because that's how their culture has influenced them.
Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

I never said hip-hop culture can't influence whites. Hell, it stole Cloudy didn't it? :shifty:

Culture is more than "Hey, I like this music. This music is now my culture". Culture doesn't just spring up one day when it becomes popular. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not "down" with the origins of Hip Hop, but I'd bet my left leg there weren't any white guys involved at the time.

I'm not even saying that white people can't talk "like that". I'm just saying that *most* white people are just doing it to be cool. Like my brother, the spawn of satan who I was unable to show the light :shifty:, who talks normally whenever he's with anyone in the family, but calls his mates "nigga", and talks in so much slang when he's not around the family that you can barely understand him.

Why? Because it's cool. Just like smoking, and drinking alchohol, and having sex before you're old enough to. It's rebellious, because the mainstream don't do it. So it's cool. Pretty soon, when the minority becomes the majority, it'll start being uncool, and something else will come along and take it's place.

White people pretending to be black is a trend, just like any other trend. Trend doesn't equal culture. Popularity doesn't make a trend into a culture either.

Just like when you move house. You might move from say, London to Cornwall. That doesn't make you Cornish. Sure, you can become a farmer, or a fisherman. You can eat pasties and drink cider, but that still doesn't make you Cornish. It makes you a Londoner living in Cornwall and partaking in Cornish culture.

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with coming to Cornwall to live, eating pasties and going fishing, and have never said there is (even outside of this now rather lengthy and involved analogy :shifty:, if you can remember what the bigger picture was...oh yeah, rap...it applies to that too). But if you came to Cornwall, put on a stupid accent and ate pasties in an attempt to make yourself look Cornish, that would just be stupid, wouldn't it?

For all I know, in fifty years, speaking with a Cornish accent might become awesomely cool (:shifty: bear with me, this is going somewhere), just like rap is now. Does that make you more Cornish if you come here to live and immitate a Cornishman (I'm talking about more than saying "Ooh Arr! here, too. That's a stupid sterotype and I know zero people woh actually say it.)? Of course not.

Edit: Wow, I don't remember typing that much. It looks like I give a shit :shifty:

Edited by TheReilDeal

Culture is more than "Hey, I like this music. This music is now my culture". Culture doesn't just spring up one day when it becomes popular. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not "down" with the origins of Hip Hop, but I'd bet my left leg there weren't any white guys involved at the time.