Cricket 2005

Whisper

I just got this game and i'm actually enjoying it immensly. Alright so it's not as good as Brian Lara 2005 will be but for someone with only a passing interest in cricket, like me, it's perfect.

However, as with all sports games of sports which I don't follow too well (See: NHL, NFL), I suck. I have it on easy and i'm still finding it incredibly difficult bowling wise. My current game for example I was out for 122, should've been better but I made about 5 dumb mistakes. But my opponenets are currently 164 for 2... Although i've got two wickets I can't seem to pressure them into actually playing a stroke instead of defending. So yeah, anyone who plays this have any tips?

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

I rented this game last week and I had no problem bowling, was able to bowl the best of teams out for under 50 runs, but when it came to batting I was useless, my highest total was 39.

Thankfully i did rent it first because I have no intentions of buying it now.

I'm just gonna wait for ICC 2005, i prefer management games.

I dunno why this game gets such bad reviews to be honest. I'm enjoying it a lot. The option to play the full county season is awesome. But I guess it's like the whole Fifa/PES debate. I'm a huge football fan and I worship PES, whereas the casual fans will go for Fifa. I would guess that the more avid cricket fans would go for Brian Lara over EA's games.

Anyhow, i'm getting a bit better. Finished my first season game earlier, in the Frizzell Championship or whatever it's called. I'm Lancashire and I lost by 10 wickets to Somerset.

Lancs 1st Innings - 122 All Out

Somerset 1st Innings - 298 All Out

Lancs 2nd Innings - 182 All Out

Somerset 2nd Innings - 8 for 0

I'm actually finding the batting ok but I make stupid mistakes by going for too many big shots when i'm actually doing well. I have yet to hit a six and everytime i've tried to use the six hit button it has ended miserably. Bowling is strange though, in all the reviews i've read it said bowling was easy, yet I struggled for a long time in that game with Somerset. They were over 200 for 2 at one point, I find it difficult to get a batsman out when he's got a high confidence level up. Trescothick made 98 and some other guy made 91... their partnership was nearly impossible to break down.

Question, if I change the difficulty level will it also apply to my saved games? Just curious cos I don't want get a good way into my season, start winning easily on "Easy" and have to abandon my season just cos I can't up the difficulty.

I've played cricket 2002 and play rep cricket for my district but I'd say perhaps put all ure fielders in and bowl slow bouncers that hit the stumps with a spin bowler. They'll eventually go to hit it out of the park and u'll get a lbw

• Admin

My best way of getting someone out is either a yorker with at leg stump with a really fast bowler (shatter the stumps or LBW), or push all your fielders in, then use a legspinner or chinaman to pitch deliveries up - the batsman usually edges a soft catch to gully or silly point.

Best batting technique is the square cut too - especially on a hard pitch where the bowlers seem to constanly aim short outside off stump

Got this game 2 days ago, bowling is simple but very effective. Batting in a 4 day match i find quite easy but in a one day match it is really hard. Im not complaining i will eventually get used to it.

I love the game due to been able to be county teams. Yorkshire to win the Divisions :pervert:

Trouble is i have it on X-Box and you cant save it during a match :(

yeah i find batting easier in the test matches, since I feel under pressure to hit out in the one day matches. ANyone know if changing the difficulty level on the main screen will affect my saved season? I hope it does cos I don't want to have to start again just cos i find it too easy.

The batting is very hard to get the hang of, but it has the added advangtage of full lincencing for countries, counties, Aussie states and names, and a lot of real player-look-a-likes.

BLC has licencing for balls, bats, and every player looks pretty similar unless they're mega-famous.

I'm not buying it although I have played it.

It's C2004 with create-a-player and a stat update. THAT'S why it's getting such poor reviews, not its gameplay

I got Brian Lara, and I'm told its better. Batting at Test level is impossible however, I bowled Pakistan out for 144, and now I'm 33 for 6 in a Test match. Oh, and the England squad for the ICC Tournaments is a bit out-dated. Andy Caddick anyone?

Edited by evertonfan