That game called Hockey

Your Mom

Ok so I always liked Baseball. Basketball I can understand enough to get by. Football I learned last year. So now to become the complete super awesome wife I am ready to take Hockey on. Feed me your knowledge oh Hockey fans! Or point me to where I may go to feed. I heard about rules changes and stuff. What up with that?

Guest ryan_the_canuck

Rule changes are designed to increase scoring, make the game more wide-open, and make the game overall more television-friendly.

tsn.ca has good sypnoses.

And you can't go wrong cheering for Toronto. And by "can't go wrong", I mean "shouldn't get your hopes up".

You could pick a younger team to cheer for, like Columbus. They haven't been around for too long, so you don't have years of history that you're missing out on, like you would with teams like Detriot... plus they have a great young star in Nash.

Other than that, you can never go wrong with cheering for a Canadian team >_>

Edit: And you've picked a good sport to get into. I'm biased since I was raised on it, but I find Hockey to be the most exciting sport there is. Football and Baseball are lacking action... Basketball is alright, but I find that it's just not my thing. Hockey is where it's at!

Edited by triplexpac

I'm from Australia and all week I've been doing a victory dance over the fact that Hockey is coming back. The main reason?

I just had Foxtel installed and with the new agrrement i could be watching Ice Hockey again within the next few months.

Also evn though Ice Skating itself isn't hard, I can not begin to imagine how hard it is to play Ice Hockey due to the lack of Ice and Snow in Australia.

Go Avs.

Its 1 of few sports that the players actually earn there money

Care to back that up with fact?

It takes a great toll on your body and unlike football you don't have a week maybe two to recover. That might be what he's referring to. To me it's the toughest sport to play out of the North American big 4. You try skating while controlling a puck going up ice while peeking over your shoulder to see if you're gonna be blindsided.

Edited by sahyder1

Although Hockey is easily the sport I know the least about (of the North American 4 at least), I'll pitch in what I can. Getting into it now is probably the best option since it's in a re-start phase with new rules and whatnot.

The kid, Sydney Crosby (I believe) that got drafted #1 by Pittsburgh is supposed to be the second coming of Gretzky (feel free to correct me) and, for lack of a better comparison, could be to hockey what Lebron is to the NBA. A bright, young star who they can build the marketing campaign around.

I haven't looked at the new rules yet, but I was told they're allowing two line passes now, which as someone above me said, should improve scoring and make it more TV friendly.

As far as who to cheer for, you'll find a team you like. But if you like the wrong team in the wrong city, it can get ugly. Being a Wings fan living in Denver, I know.

It takes a great toll on your body and unlike football you don't have a week maybe two to recover. That might be what he's referring to. To me it's the toughest sport to play out of the North American big 4. You try skating while controlling a puck going up ice while peeking over your shoulder to see if you're gonna be blindsided.

I've played both league and club hockey before, so I know how difficult it is, but I fail to see how they earn their money any more than other athletes. Almost all professional athletes are overpaid for what I consider "games". You tell me how they are worthy of millions but cops, doctors, and teachers aren't.

I've played both league and club hockey before, so I know how difficult it is, but I fail to see how they earn their money any more than other athletes. Almost all professional athletes are overpaid for what I consider "games". You tell me how they are worthy of millions but cops, doctors, and teachers aren't.

Okay here are some great links and I will give you a description for each of them. heh I might be the only one who si trying to help instead of argue a point.

TSN Report On New Rule Changes

- This is just a report that talks about the rule changes that will take effect for the 2005-2006 season.

NHL Rulebook

- NHL.com's rules site. I havn't read this so I don't know how good it is.

A-Z Encylopedia of Ice Hockey

- Great site for information on anything in Ice Hockey.

The Internet Hockey Database

- Good site for stats, logos etc. Mostly just good for stats and draft information.

European Hockey.Net

- Was recommended to me by someone I havn't looked at it yeat but apparently focuses on European Hockey.

The Fourth Period.Com

- Great site for rumours, breaking news and trades.

The Hockey News.Com

- Another good site for anything hockey. It is mainly just the site for the newspaper/magazine of the same name.

NHL Official Website

- Official website of the NHL so has lots of news and info for the league.

TSN.CA

- Lots of news for hockey (and other sports) but they specialize in Hockey the most. Think of this site like a Canadian ESPN because that is what it is. Check out the NHL section or More Hockey section on the side bar for lots of good news.

I think that is all the links I can think of right now.

As for people who say cheer for Toronto and Montreal don't listen to them cheer for Ottawa :D no I say pick a team depending on what type of game you want to see or your hometown team (which is always a good choice). Also the best player today is Jason Spezza so don't forget that.

Edited by CKN

Grant Hill, Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway, Shandon Anderson, Jamal Crawford, Damon Stoudamire, Austin Crochere, Michael Stewart, Eddie Robinson, Travis Knight, Ira Newble, Tyronn Lue, Juwon Howard, Morris Peterson, Brian Grant, Antonio Davis, Vin Baker, Todd MacCulloch, Jeff Foster, Calvin Booth, Hidayet Turkoglu, Kwame Brown, Tariq Abdul-Wahad, Keith Van Horn, Clarence Weatherspoon, Bonzi Wells, Brian Cardinal, James Posey, Michael Olowokandi, Nick Van Exel, Derek Anderson, Ruben Patterson, Mehmet Okur, Corliss Williamson, Greg Ostertag, Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner, Kurt Thomas, Howard Eisley, Vlade Divac, Devean George, and Adonal Foyle all say hi.