The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

In the end the Rangers won 5-3. Jagr is such an outstanding player. He scored two PP goals in the third to turn the game around and then Hossa scored the last one to kill it. If Jagr plays consistently well for the whole season he may get to challenge for the Art Ross again. 3 points on the first game is a good start, even considering the fact that some players may get back to the 100 mark in points (or maybe not, only time will tell) due to the rule changes. However there's always the possibility that he has another season like the ones he had after leaving the pens playing as a super player in November and February (to remind people he's good enough for the ASG :P), and struggling to get a point every two games in the rest of the season. Again, only time will tell.

As for Forsberg, i hope he gets better soon. Unlike a lot of european players in the NHL he barely played any hockey for the past year and a half, and missed most of the flyers camp due to injuries. I hope he gets back on his usual standards carrying out the best PPG average in the league but with 20 games less then the rest :shifty: . Now seriously, I hope he has a great season and I think he will have it.

the NHL is back :w00t:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ottawa was less then impressive in this game and got lucky to come away with the win. I guess this is the equalizer for playing good in the playoffs and getting knocked out.

I'm 100% confident in this Leaf team now since this game was without Sundin.

Roenick, then Yzerman, now Sundin?

Am I the only one in favor of making the Roenick-sported helmet with face mask a mandatory uniform change? How many players have to have career-threatening injuries thanks to pucks to the face before this face mask is implemented?

Ottawa was less then impressive in this game and got lucky to come away with the win. I guess this is the equalizer for playing good in the playoffs and getting knocked out.

I'm 100% confident in this Leaf team now since this game was without Sundin.

Where the hell did this Eric Lindros guy come from? Off all the Leafs rookies, he has to be my choice to win the Calder.

Nice to see Pierre Mcguire eat some crow in the first intermission.

And Nalund is on pace for 164 goals. Art Ross, Hart Trophy, Selke, I bet Markus Naslund could win the Vezina is he wanted to.

By the way, did anyone else see Belfour streaking behind McCabe on that panalty and think he was joining the rush? The record for goals in a season by a goaltender is an attainable goal. I think next time Belfour should take point instead of letting the extra man on, because he has some wheels.

I think Toronto's new players looked really good on the ice, especially Lindros. I think he was pissed off when Ottawa scored for the second time, judging by that last hit.

If Toronto had Sundin on the powerplay, they would have won. He creates so many opportunities with his passing and his physical strength, he can usually just muscle his way to the front of the net and put a shot on net. I also think that Toronto was too passive on the powerplay after scoring the first goal, I think they took 7 shots of 8 or 9 powerplays. You should be able to score 5 on 3 or at least get some great opportunities, but Toronto didn't.

Ottawa deserves alot of credit, they didn't give up and managed to steal a win away from a divisional rival.

As far as last nights game goes, Ottawa played like ass, scored a goal that wasn't counted (what looked to be a great save by Belfour very early on was visibly in the net on replay) and they still won. You can say that with Sundin in all you want that Toronto would have won but there is not guarentee that he would have scored. When these two teams play again on monday it's going to be a blowout. If Ottawa plays the way that they did last night then they'll get killed as Toronto now has something to prove, but if they play like we all know they can, then Toronto is going to get owned.

The Ottawa result is disappointing, but let's look ahead here. We've got Montreal next, and there's no reason we can't win there.

By the way, has there been any news of how long Sundin will be out for?

Indefinelty.

And I got back too late from work to catch any hockey. The pain was unbearable. I couldn't sleep.

Anyway, from what I read it sounded like the Leafs played very well (I'm predicting them 8th in the East) and they did it without Sundin. But it's only one game, so give it a few weeks to really determine how a team will be playing most of the season. If last night was any indication the Flames will suck and the Rangers are a 3rd period team. And I simply don't see either as being a possibility.

I think that Toronto can survive with players out injured. They did it in 2003/04 with Mogilny and Nolan missing alot. But Sundin? That's a huge blow. I think people aren't giving the Leafs enough credit, but unless they play each game with heart and a lot of determination, without Sundin it's an uphill battle.

Montreal is tied 2 - 2 against New York in the 2nd. NY is taking way too many penalties though, they already gave up one PP goal and I think that if they keep going to the box, they will lose.