WHA (World Hockey Association)

Guest LdE1986

Guest NYJetFan86

I dont know if this has been posted or not but i read on ESPN.com about a new hockey league opening up run by Bobby Hull currently has teams in: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Detroit, Dallas, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Two more teams (Toronto and Hamilton) will be included if they can get arenas to play in. WHA regular season starts October 29 and will be 76 games long. The league will also have no red line, no touch icing, touch up offside, 3 on 3 overtime followed by a shootout. Teams have a $15 million dollar salary cap to work with for the first year. NHL players that sign with the league will have the option to stay in WHA or go back to the NHL if a lockout is resolved.

Comments??

Well, you never know man. The WHA's entry draft, which is coming up, allows 17 year old players. So if there's a lockout players like Crosby and Ovechkin could be lost to the WHA because there's no NHL in progress. They might sign there to play and that could help build a solid league around players like thoughs.

Guest NYJetFan86

Mike makes a good point about the draft and most players currently in the NHL including Brett Hull would most likely wait a little while before jumping to WHA because a new CBA can be reached at any time. I think that the WHA is lacking a team in a big market like New York, Philadelphia, and Calirfornia. I would love to have a hockey team in my home town of Long Beach, NY especially because we have our own ice rink where a team from an upstart league like WHA can play and draw a good number of fans

Guest Hit Man 3120

This seems so rushed to cash in on the lockout. If they tried to do this right and put in non-NHL markets they could be a decent alternative to the NHL. But going into NHL markets like Detroit & Toronto is just stupid

Problem is the AHL is in quite a few (potential) markets too, especially in the northeast.

It doesn't make much sense either since these teams are mostly in the north and east. And then there's Orlando and Jacksonville - way far south. And then there's Dallas, all off on it's own.

A New York team wouldn't be too bad. Philly can screw itself.

With the way things are looking for the season next year someone like Hull(and especially Hull seeing as his dad is commish) or Manny Legace, etc... I wouldn't doubt seeing them there. Even St. Louis was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I'd be stupid not to give it a thought" or whatever. Even if the NHL was coming back oh say in January for example or December, I still wouldn't doubt seeing a few guys in the league. Because in the WHA, as it's planned as of now, each team can have I think 2 players that can have contracts which would allow them to jump back to the NHL if they were to come to an agreement.

With Brett Hull not being offered a contract with the Wings, I could see him playing in this new fangled league.

Yeah but just last night Ken Holland said no the Brett Hull

I want the WHA to succeed, if only to give us an alternative league to the money-hungry NHL.

I love the NHL, but it will be nice to have teams of similar calibre on TV with Team Payrolls that are just above what a lot of players make by themselves in the NHL.