Bands/artists with dark lyrics

Liam

Having listened to quite a variety of music, I seem to have come to the conclusion that I am quite a big fan of bands/artists with dark (bleak) lyrics, and dark (in humour) lyrics. I was wondering if people could give me what they percieve as good examples of both of the above (whether it be bands, albums by bands, or just individual songs).

Examples of both that I already like:

The Smiths (dark humour)

Alkaline Trio (dark humour)

later Depeche Mode (dark)

The Killers (yes...they have some dark lyrics in thier songs :P)

So yeah, I basically don't just want people listing every Doom Metal band they know, as thats not exactly what I am after...>_>

Type O Negative has some awesome Dark/Humorous lyrics.

Like this one, making fun of goth kids:

Black no 1

She's got a date at midnight.

With Nosferatu.

Oh baby, Lilly Munster.

Ain't got nothing on you.

Well when I called her evil.

She just laughed.

And cast that spell on me.

Boo Bitch Craft.

Yeah you wanna go out 'cause it's raining and blowing.

You can't go out 'cause your roots are showing.

Dye em black.

Black no. 1

Here's another song I like.

I Don't Wanna Be Me

I don't wanna be me anymore

Ever throwing at his house

Two glass houses, twenty stones

Fourteen yellow, six are blue

Could it be worse... quite doubtful

Two steps forward, three steps back

Without warning, heart attack

He fell asleep in the snow

Never woke up, died alone

Please don't dress in black

When you're at his wake

Don't go there to mourn

But to celebrate

They also have the best name for a "Best of CD" ever: "Type O Negative - The Least Worst Of"

Check out "Strung Out". Whilst not always dark as such there's lots of undertones and double meanings in there. Not everything is as it seems.

Example.... "Vampires" by Strung Out

Some say in the darkest places, love can grow

This solitary romance we'll never know

Well it's this coffin break I'm staging to the road that leads me back to you

Will be the miracle I gave up everything to only be with you

Can't seem to shake the loneliest curse of all

Eternity with just a memory

I've seen your picture a million times three sixes and a melody of

Singing vice and a varice in tthe chains you chose to be our dress for

My funeral for two a carnival in blue

Can't seem to shake the loneliest curse of all

Eternity spent chasin' what I shun

All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun

In the sun...na na na they bury us in the sand

na na na together hand in hand

I can't seem to shake the loneliest

Curse of all eternity spent chasing what i was

All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun

Edited by YI

If you're going for dark humour, then there's only one place to look: Voltaire. He's a fantastic lyricist, brilliant voice, and musically he's fairly unique, and he's got a lot of satirical lyrics on religion and goth culture, and an EP of Star Trek-themed comedy songs.

I recommend:

God Thinks,

Graveyard Picnic,

Future Ex-Girlfriend,

The Vampire Club,

Almost Human

You many not understand what they are saying. When I saw them, just about everyone in the crowd was screaming the lyrics along with them. If you listen carefully enough to the recordings you can understand the lyrics. They are a lot easier to understand out than most bands.

Or, you could just buy the CD and read the lyrics or go to a lyrics page... like I just did:

Sunshine The Werewolf

Cry your eyes bloodshot while there's still time 'cause soon it's gone and you'll be so shocked one queen-sized coffin

that was built for two is your death bed it belongs to you tease me baby please me with the fresh disease hope riding on a

bullet alive tonight you know we couldn't get it right come save your life tonight you know we'll never get it right don't

try to swim to shore because you can't go back say three words like they're the last you'll speak curtains drop concealing

appearances of heaven destroyer they'll be another just like you you're not the only one I'm not the only one watching the

fallout fly back up walking where time stands still see how our love kills dropping curtains down concealing appearances

of heaven without my existence you are nothing without my affection you wilt we fucked like a nuclear war release...fuck

off see how I let you down watching fallout fly back up

Read the lyrics while listening to the song, eventually you have them memorized.

Exactly. I like what I like...

Metallica, Corrosion Of Conformity, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X, Megadeth, Black Label Society, Brand New Sin, etc.

I just think Dillinger Escape Plan was by far one of the worst bands I ever heard in my life.

If you want an easier way to look around for Dark Lyrics, now that I think of it, rather than waiting for everyone's recommendations, try DarkLyrics.com - I think that's the right website - it has loads of bands on there with muchos dark lyrics.

I recommend CoF too though.

I just think Dillinger Escape Plan was by far one of the worst bands I ever heard in my life.

I didn't call you a cliche metal elitist because you disliked Dillinger Escape Plan, but because whenever you hate a band, you aren't "oh, yeah, not to my taste", or something, you are always just like "OMG, THEY ARE AWFUL, TEH SUX0R", and just really condascending about it.

Its the condascending attitude that makes someone a metal elitist, not what bands someone likes.

I didn't call you a cliche metal elitist because you disliked Dillinger Escape Plan, but because whenever you hate a band, you aren't "oh, yeah, not to my taste", or something, you are always just like "OMG, THEY ARE AWFUL, TEH SUX0R", and just really condascending about it.

Its the condascending attitude that makes someone a metal elitist, not what bands someone likes.

If you want an easier way to look around for Dark Lyrics, now that I think of it, rather than waiting for everyone's recommendations, try DarkLyrics.com - I think that's the right website - it has loads of bands on there with muchos dark lyrics.

I recommend CoF too though.

Edited by Bushmeister