Rolling stones Top 100 Guitarist list

Laice07

Yeah, well, the fact that everyone and thier mothers always have a problem with lists done in magazines, interviews done in magazines, gig and CD reviews done in magazines, I guess I'll just logically think why they may have been put there, rather than follow the crowd, moan and complain just for the sake of it.

Oh, I also take the logical route, which basically means that I know full well that these magazines pick the people listed based on popularity, as opposed to their actual talent. While these lists don't necessarily bother me (Once I got bored of Nirvana or Cobain topping every Kerrang list I started not to care) I know why they have been listed in that way and can simply choose to disagree.

Also, whilst we are talking about music magazines - NME sucks all. Anything is better than that.

I prefer the version 411mania did a little while after this one came out. It wasn't perfect but it was much better then the Rolling Stones one.

100-61

60-11

The Top 10

In the actual 100 they give a little sentence explaining why they're good but for people too lazy to look here's the actual 100

1) Steve Vai

2) Ritchie Blackmore

3) Jimi Hendrix

4) Eddie Van Halen

5) Eric Clapton

6) Jeff Beck

7) Duane Allman

8) Ace Frehley

9) Tony Iommi

10) Jimmy Page

11) Brian May

12) Albert King

13) Stevie Ray Vaughan

14) Pete Townshend

15) Tommy Tedesco

16 + 17) Michael Bruce + Glen Buxton

18) Angus Young

19) Joe Satriani

20) Eric Johnson

21) Uli Jon Roth

22) B.B. King

23) John McLaughlin

24) Robert Johnson

25 + 26 + 27) Nokie Edwards + Bob Bogle +Don Wilson

28) Chuck Berry

29) Al Di Meola

30) Michael Hedges

31) Zakk Wylde

32) Randy Rhoads

33) Reeves Gabrels

34) Neil Young

35) Muddy Waters

36) Mick Ronson

37) Frank Zappa

38) Link Wray

39) Yngwie Malmsteen

40 + 41) Keith Richards + Ronnie Wood

42) Roy Clark

43) Django Reinhardt

44) Ronni Le Tekro

45) David Gilmour

46) Bo Diddley

47) Robert Cray

48) Trevor Rabin

49) Patrik Jensen

50) Ross The Boss

51) Ry Cooder

52) Don McLean

53 + 54) Glenn Tipton + K.K. Downing

55) Les Paul

56) Elmore James

57) Mark Knopfler

58) Dave Mustaine

59) Vernon Reid

60) Robert Fripp

61 + 62 + 63) Eddie Willis + Joe Messina + Robert White

64) Steve Stevens

65) Dick Dale

66) Dimebag Darrell

67) Prince

68) Buddy Guy

69) Buddy Holly

70) Criss Oliva

71) George Harrison

72) John Fahey

73 + 74) Dave Murray + Adrian Smith

75) Abbath

76) Jesper Strцmblad

77) Jon Shaeffer

78) Richard Thompson

79) Buck Dharma

80) Billy Gibbons

81) Scott Henderson

82) Joe Maphis

83) Danny Gatton

84) Mike Campbell

85) Alex Lifeson

86) Chris Impellitteri

87) Andy Cairns

88) Bjorn Ulvaeus

89) Dino Cavares

90) Andy Gill

91) Mike Derks

92) Billy Zoom

93) Dave Navarro

94) John Lee Hooker

95) Howlin' Wolf

96) Tom Verlaine

97) Joe Perry

98) George Lynch

99) Slash

100) Joan Jett

Yeah, well, the fact that everyone and thier mothers always have a problem with lists done in magazines, interviews done in magazines, gig and CD reviews done in magazines, I guess I'll just logically think why they may have been put there, rather than follow the crowd, moan and complain just for the sake of it.

Oh, I also take the logical route, which basically means that I know full well that these magazines pick the people listed based on popularity, as opposed to their actual talent. While these lists don't necessarily bother me (Once I got bored of Nirvana or Cobain topping every Kerrang list I started not to care) I know why they have been listed in that way and can simply choose to disagree.

Also, whilst we are talking about music magazines - NME sucks all. Anything is better than that.

At the end of the day, its someones opinion. Is thier opinion better than yours? No. But than again, doesn't really make your opinion better than thiers.

The fact that you can guarantee someone will whinge about ANY list put up, or any CD review is just stupid. Its someones opinion at the end of the day, and just cos you don't agree with the opinion doesn't mean its "the shittest list ever", or whatever most people tend to say it is.

Unless someone really shocks me by being out of place, than fair play to whoever wrote the list.

And whilst I'm at it, I also think its a joke when people say "this magazine is shit" when a band they like get a shit review. It happens all the time, and it just annoys me. Not everyone will agree with you, and you don't have to agree with them either, at the end of the day.

I think the NME is a shit magazine because it writes shit reviews and articles. I think the same thing about Kerrang because they do exactly the same thing. Thats my opinion.

And thank you for the comments about opinion, at the end of reading it I just went "No shit" and started writing this reply.

I hate NME cos they bum the Libertines and Pete Doherty, but meh, thats there right, as they obviously see something I don't.

I just find it slightly stupid whining about a list thats based on opinion. Fair enough, if Charlie from Busted was in there, OMG, but he isn't, and the list isn't horrendous.

And yeah, congrats on being totally blaise about my post, makes you look uber cool and witty.

So, what magazines do write good reviews? All of them pretty much do the same thing, and I've read my fair share of different music magazines/websites.

I think the main problem with magazine reviews is that they are too small. I find it difficult to explain my attachment to my favourite albums in 5 page essays, let alone a few sentences shoved at the back which seems to be the way stuff goes with music magazines.

Im so fed up with reviews these days. Most of the time, its not that I don't agree, its just that once I have read them I just feel as if I haven't learned anything about the music in question.

EDIT: And agreed about the Libertines/Pete Doherty thing. I don't see how he is a "genius", but its all subjective anyway.

Edited by FunkAsPuck

Kurt Cobain at #12??? That guy who's guitar played the same crud-sound over and over again at 12??? What???

Green Day don't annoy me though, I like them, they have a decent back catelogue of catchy pop punk, which I enjoy. Its when Kerrang start passing off Green Day and Good Charlotte as the epitome of punk music and attitude, then you really start to get pissed off.

I don't like Greenday for the simple fact that they sold out. I have never believed in the term selling out as most of the time, selling out is a way to make your music more accessible to potential listeners. But when a band like Greenday, who are already popular, are on the front page of fucking SMASH HITS MAGAZINE, you know that's selling out.

And Kerrang, and NME don't know shit. Kerrang champion bands that are shite designed for twelve year olds. Have you seen their awards this year? Not only are they trying to pitch System of a Down's mess of an album as the best of the year, they're trying to pitch My Crappy Rowing Boat as the best band in the world. And NME - the only good band they made famous recently is Franz Ferdinand. Pete Doherty a genius? I know a mate who got all U's in his AS results on Thursday and he's more of a genius than him.

I don't like Greenday for the simple fact that they sold out. I have never believed in the term selling out as most of the time, selling out is a way to make your music more accessible to potential listeners. But when a band like Greenday, who are already popular, are on the front page of fucking SMASH HITS MAGAZINE, you know that's selling out.

I think the main problem with magazine reviews is that they are too small. I find it difficult to explain my attachment to my favourite albums in 5 page essays, let alone a few sentences shoved at the back which seems to be the way stuff goes with music magazines.

Im so fed up with reviews these days. Most of the time, its not that I don't agree, its just that once I have read them I just feel as if I haven't learned anything about the music in question.

EDIT: And agreed about the Libertines/Pete Doherty thing. I don't see how he is a "genius", but its all subjective anyway.

Oh yeah, I know that you don't learn a lot about the music itself, I totally agree with that, but I tend to find that with a lot of magazines. The only ones who do it for me are ones that then just end up namechecking other bands, which isn't always a good thing either.