Legal Bootlegs?

Guest The Trooper

Guest The Trooper

Hi, i've been recently looking at "bootlegs" and heard that many of them are illegal. yet there are plenty of legal metallica bootlegs and pre-warning Green Day. So does anyone know of any decent bands that allow legal bootlegs from concerts? cheers

Not exactly the same, but to combat extortionate illegal bootlegging of thiers shows, Pearl Jam have legally bootlegged most of thier later gigs (some from 2001 and some from 2003), and sell them. They are pretty cheap depending on where you buy them from (I got a 3 CD Penn State live show for £8.99...so 3 hours of a band live that I love for £8.99 is quality)

If anyone wants to post links to some bootlegs, I'll allow it, as long as these shows aren't available to purchase anywhere. If that makes sense.

At leats until someone tells me off.

So don't post those pearl jam ones.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

I've found a few browsing the net over the years.

Garbage Collecter

Fantastic Garbage site with over 30 live show bootlegs from all points of the career.

Various Hole

The Glastonbury tracks especially are good.

Various Hole

Kraftwerk at Tribal Gathering 1997.

Only half of there set but really good. There was about 5 more Kraftwerk bootlegs that I've got, but the sites are all down.

New Order - Cleveland 1989

Nine Inch Nails - Portland 1994, Raleigh 1996, Pittsburgh 2000, Fresno 2005, Davis 2005.

Pittsburgh is pretty poor quality, the rest are really good quality.

Various Rammstein

A LOT of Rammstein live shows.

Tons Of Various Dance Sets

Slam! Forums has tons of links to bootlegs of dance sets.

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina II

For anyone who does'nt know, the Smashing Pumpkins in 2000 released a semi-official bootleg for FREE on 25 Vinyls with orders to distirbute the CD's complete with artwork across the net. There record company would'nt give them permission to release it officially, so they did it through there fanbase for free. Anyone with a passing interest in The Pumpkins should check it out, there's some gems on it.

If any of them are available to buy I will take them off straight away. I'm 99% sure they all are'nt. I'll keep looking for ones I've found in the past.

Edited by Booker T & The MG's

Guest Locutus of Borg

Archive.org - Just search for the band and depending on their taping policy and popularity, may return quite a few results.

FurthurNet - Similar to Napster, but free. Contains a database of around 200 bands (I think) that allow tape trading to be searched for and downloaded.

I've found lots of good stuff from both of those sources, both popular and unknown. They both can take a little time downloading, though, depending on the show and traffic on the sites, etc.

EDIT: If you have a question about whether or not a band's bootleg is legal, check the band's website. Most of them have a taping policy listed on their website. All of the bands listed on FurthurNet have policies allowing tape trading, so they're all legal. I don't know if there are any illegal bootlegs on Archive, but I've never seen any.

Edited by Locutus of Borg

If anyone wants to post links to some bootlegs, I'll allow it, as long as these shows aren't available to purchase anywhere. If that makes sense.

At leats until someone tells me off.

So don't post those pearl jam ones.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's legal to trade them, as long as the bootlegs aren't of the current tour (IE, the ones currently on sale.) I think the 2000 and 2003 boots are fair game for traders now.

I may be wrong, though.

Edited by Michael Matzat

Guest The Trooper

i was thinking of bumping this topic but thought it would be a waste without another link... then i found this

Right Here

it includes the incredibly rare Governator and We Are The Champions

EDIT- I forgot to say it's by Green Day

EDIT 2 - Here are some better Quality songs Just click here

Edited by The Trooper

• 3 months later...

To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes.

It's supposed to mean that it's illegal, and back in the day bootlegs went around when we didn't have CD's and the internet or such. Now that we have that today and the industry changed so bands allow this stuff, because they see the benefits, it's still called bootlegging since it's basically the same practice, just allowed. Too lazy to change the name of it I suppose. :P