WCW 1991: The Rebirth Years By thegodcomplex

TGC

WCW Saturday Night On TNT

Saturday July 27, 1991

Announcers: Jim Ross and Mike Tenay

The Omni

Atlanta, GA

Terry Taylor vs. Tracey Smothers(with James E. Cornette)

Terry Taylor walks to the ring rather slowly as the fans make a little noise for him. He rolls under the ropes, as the music of The Foundation hits. James E. Cornette walks Tracey Smothers to the ring to some mild boos. Cornette tries to get the fans going by yelling out random insults once the match starts off, but to no avail. Soon enough the entire Foundation wanders from the back and circles the ring, watching as Terry Taylor out wrestles Smothers here with ease. Smothers, who doesn't do a very good job of selling the offense of Taylor, staggers backwards and is soon hit with a Bulldog off the middle rope. Taylor makes the quick cover and gets the 1-2-3 as The Foundation, all seven remaining members, hit the ring. Taylor is being beaten on by Ron Garvin, who whips him to Austin, who hits the Stun Gun. As Cornette is making his way into the ring The Midnight Express come running down from the back. They slide under the ropes, and somehow someway they fight off The Foundation, sending each member to the floor until it's just Smothers and Garvin left. Sweet Stan and Beautiful Bobby hit stereo Too Sweet, sending both men over the ropes to the floor, as Taylor gets back to his feet as well. The crowd are FINALLY making some noise here, as The Foundation regroup and head towards the back. Cornette is smiling as he walks off, pointing at the three men.

WINNER: TERRY TAYLOR

WORKRATE: 50

CROWD: 62

OR: 58

(Tracey Smothers, who hasn't been pleased for weeks regarding his role within the company, decided to listen to a "friend" of his and no sell for Taylor, thereby effectively ruining the match altogether. Smothers has just committed the cardinal sin of WCW, as has been learned by Sid, The Macon County Outlaws, and Dangerous Dan Spivey. That being, don't play these stupid games with us. Expect his role to be lessened for sometime as a result of his actions.)

commercials

Lex Luger, The First Person Annihilated

A video airs that shows Annihilation, The Scorpion, Cactus Jack, Vader, and Harley Race, all in the darkened room lit by candles. The Scorpion speaks for a few moments about his plans for Stan Hansen, then Race steps forward and takes over. From the moment Luger was helped by Vader and Race the two of them were a part of Annihilation. Luger is the weakest in a long line of weak links, and it is the job of Annihilation to clean WCW up for good. Luger has been annihilated, and now it looks like Stan Hansen wants to step back up as well, Race says. A challenge is laid out at that point by Race, The Scorpion vs. Hansen at Fall Brawl. Race wonders if Hansen has what it takes to step up and face his own imminent Annihilation. Cactus "Bang Bang"'s a little, then Vader extinguishes the candles with his bare hands.

OR: 77

(The Scorpion gained in over rising from 77 to 78)

commercials

James E. Cornette Is Back

Cornette is standing next to Bob Caudle, as Regal and Austin stand behind them both.

Caudle: You asked for this time Mr. Cornette?

Cornette: I don't ASK for anything Caudle, I take what I want. Now, up next we have a great exhibition of Tag Team Wrestling, as my boys, Camp Cornette, will be taking on The Diamond Mine. Last night we ALL saw what Stunning Steve Austin and Superstar Steven Regal did to Hall and Nash, as well as Diamond Dallas Page, and this match is a result of the animosity that exists between both teams. The Diamond Mine cost Camp Cornette a chance to become the WCW World Tag Team Champions, and now Camp Cornette has their sights set on costing The Diamond Mine their careers. That should be a beautiful thing to see. Moving on, tonight we have a huge Main Event that was just signed, sealed, and delivered by yours truly. The Dragon Ricky Steamboat, Antonio Inoki, and 2nd Generation will meet The Unholy Alliance in a 10-Man Tag Team Match. All ten of these men have very specific issues with each other, so let's put them in the ring and see what happens. Last night I announced matches for the US, Tag Team, and World Heavyweight Titles at Fall Brawl, and now tonight I have two more matches to announce. Barry Windham will be meeting Owen Hart one on one, while The Horsemen will be facing Jeff Jarrett and Dean Malenko in a Tag Team Match. All in all I have to say that so far Fall Brawl is shaping up to be a great night of wrestling. Now, without further ado, let's go watch my boys destroy The Diamond Mine.

Camp Cornette and James E. Cornette walk to the ring.

OR:72

Camp Cornette(with James E. Cornette) vs. The Diamond Mine(with Diamond Dallas Page)

With Camp Cornette already in the ring, the fans wait until the music of The Diamond Mine hits. The Mine, accompanied by Page, tonight receive a hero's welcome, as opposed to being booed the previous night. Hall and Nash quickly hit the ring, and it's a four man slug fest to start. Nash soon tosses Regal to the floor, then exits to the apron, and it's Hall and Austin to start off the match proper. The wrestling here tonight is superb, with even Nash seeming to step it up a notch or two, and the fans are into it the entire time. On the outside the action happens as well, as both Cornette and Page make sure the other doesn't do anything to help their team upset the balance. Hall is soon in trouble, and Regal and Austin tag in and out frequently keeping fresh and not letting up on him. Nash barges into the ring a few times, but he's always sent back out by the ref, which allows Camp Cornette to cheat and double team. Austin has Hall in a Leg Scissors around the throat, and every time the ref looks at Hall to see if he wants to give it up, Cornette grabs Austin's hands adding leverage to the hold. Finally Page rushes over and lays Cornette out with a Clothesline, then starts laying boots to him. Regal hops off the apron and soon he is beating up Page. This distracts both the ref and Austin, and Nash rushes in and pulls Hall over to his corner, where he yells for the ref, then tags in. Austin rushes over to attack, but Nash is relentless. Regal finally makes his way to his apron, but it's pretty much over for Austin when Nash hits a Big Kev Bomb. He then smashes a forearm into Regal's face to keep him out of the ring as Nash then goes for the cover and gets the 1-2-3 to win this for his team. Hall then rolls to the floor and brings a disheveled Cornette inside the ring to a huge pop from the crowd. However as Nash is setting him up for a Big Kev Bomb, The Rock-N-Roll Express rush in and start laying into him. Regal pulls Cornette out of the ring, as Hall is back up and he lays into Ricky and Robert. Soon Hall hits a Diamond Drop on Ricky while Nash hits The Big Kev Bomb on Robert. The fans are cheering The Mine as they walk towards the back with Page.

WINNERS: THE DIAMOND MINE

WORKRATE: 90

CROWD: 82

OR: 86

(Big Kevin Nash gains in over rising from 73 to 74)

(The Studd Scott Hall gains in over rising from 72 to 73)

commercials

It's Time To Go Cuckoo For Koko

The commercial ends and Bob Caudle is standing in the interview area with Koko B. Ware, who hasn't been seen on WCW TV for a few months, since back when he had the video air.

Caudle: Well, this is unexpected but here I stand with Koko B...

Koko: Koko be mad, white boy. Shut up. Let a brother speak. You all know who I am, I'm the black man who got saddled with a bird for years by a bunch of racist pigs up north. I'm the black man that got pushed to the back of the bus, then got told to shut his mouth and do what he was told. What you don't know is that I'm the black man who told those old white men to kiss his black butt and walked out. I walked out to WCW, and lo and behold I was treated by the OLDER white men like I was their sla...

Caudle: I don't think you should be...

Koko: I told you to shut up, and you best do it before this black man kicks your old, white, butt. WCW asked me to do a nice, happy, WHITE little vignette for them. Instead, I gave them Cuckoo For Koko. They aired it, and cut it to shreds, then told Koko to sit his black butt at home until they called. Well guess what, I got tired of waiting for the man to call. So WCW, here I am, and here I will STAY until one of your white boys makes his way out of that dressing area to come face me. Koko is here to give himself a work out, whether the white, wrinkled, old butts of WCW like it or not.

The fans are starting to boo here, as Koko marches to the ring. He slides under the ropes and waits, until the camera cuts back to Caudle, who is now accompanied by 2 Cold. The fans cheer a bit.

2 Cold: I don't know what happened to Koko, but Bob, it would be an honor to step into that ring with one of my heroes here tonight. Excuse me, sir.

With that 2 Cold rushes to the ring as a referee comes running from the back. Jim and Mike say we seem to have an impromptu match.

OR: 60

2 Cold vs. Koko

The two men square off as the referee calls for the bell. The match itself is slow, mostly due to Koko gaining the upper hand very early and keeping the wrestling on the mat, and the fans are really not into it at all, but it's still a good match with a decent amount of psychology going on. Koko works the left leg of 2 Cold the entire time, obviously grounding him. He finally goes up top for what appears to be a Splash of some kind, but 2 Cold gets his feet up and Koko slams his face into the boots. 2 Cold rallies back, and soon enough he has Koko set up for a Superplex. However at this point the fans boo a little, and 2 Cold stops as Ron Simmons is standing next to the ring trying to get inside. The ref stops him, but misses seeing Butch Reed attack 2 Cold, Powerbombing him onto the mat. Reed slides from the ring as Koko comes off with a Frog Splash and hooks the leg for the 1-2-3 win. Simmons and Reed slide back in, both men wearing wife beater t-shirts and black jeans and boots, and they proceed to beat the hell out of 2 Cold. Tenay wonders where Al Snow is, since he KNOWS he's in the building, as Simmons hits a Running Powerbomb on 2 Cold. Koko holds the arms of Doom up high, then the three men exit the ring together to almost no crowd reaction at all.

WINNER: KOKO

WORKRATE: 63

CROWD: 50

OR: 56

(Not a great way to debut Koko to a live crowd and see the return of Doom, as the fans were still wiped out from the last match it would seem. However, all three men will have a chance to make a bigger impact in the coming weeks and months.)

end of first hour commercials

The Fabulous Freebirds and The Steiners Round 2000

Caudle, who is a busy man tonight, is standing next to The Fabulous Freebirds and Missy.

Caudle: We all saw what happened on Sunday Night when you two were defeated by Liger and Muta for the WCW World Tag Team Titles. What actions do the two of you plan to take to bring the belts back home?

Hayes: Oh, don't you worry Bob, we'll be bringing them back, but first we have another issue to deal with. Beside me and Gorgeous Jimmy is the luscious Missy. Where's Tammy at though, Bob?

Caudle: I really have NO idea.

Hayes: Neither do we. The last we all saw of her was when The Steiner Brothers decided to come down to the ring in our match and KIDNAP our managers. Missy doesn't even know where Tammy went to. So, what we want now is for those two muscle bound oafs to come out here and tell us where our manager is before we have to go back there and...

Hayes is interrupted as Rick and Scott Steiner come over to the announce area, alone. The fans, who had been listening but not responding, make a small amount of noise.

Scott: We don't know where she is. We left her and Missy outside AFTER the match on Sunday Night. Maybe she got lost.

Rick: Yeah, but if you two want to try and accuse us of doing something else why don't you just go right ahead and do it cuz we're right here.

Jimmy Garvin: Okay, I'll accuse you of costing us the titles when you took our women.

Scott: Well, seeing as how we've been messed over before by those two in the past, we didn't want to see Liger and Muta lose their title shot due to a couple of skirts with purses full of bricks,

Rick: But if you two want to do something about it, why don't you put that lady aside and get into the ring with us right now.

Caudle: Gentlemen?

Hayes: No. How about you two accept a match with us, at Fall Brawl, and we'll deal with it then. Do you two think you can remember that far ahead?

Scott and Rick step right up, and the four men are all nose to nose.

Scott: I'll go get the contracts drawn up right now. Oh, and I hope your other tramp is okay.

Hayes holds Garvin back as The Steiners walk off, smiling, to a small amount of cheers.

Hayes: Come on, let's go look for Tammy.

The three then walk off in the opposite direction leaving Caudle alone.

Caudle: ANOTHER match has been added to WCW Fall Brawl. After these commercials the WCW World Tag Team Titles will be on the line.

OR: 62

(Michael P.S. Hayes lost in over dropping from 78 to 76)

(Rick Steiner lost in over dropping from 82 to 80)

(Scott Steiner lost in over dropping from 83 to 79)

(Well that was a mess that didn't work. Perhaps from now on we need to make sure the words are TOTALLY scripted for Rick and Scott, since they came off sounding a bit MORE moronic than normal.)

WCW World Tag Team Titles Match: Liger and Muta© vs. The Thrillers

As The Thrillers come out to some cheers Tenay and Ross explain that even though The Midnight Express are the Number One Contenders for the Tag Team Titles, Liger and Muta requested a match tonight against an up and coming Tag Team to give them a chance, and that The Thrillers were the chosen team. Liger and Muta come out next, and the crowd gives them a very respectful ovation, as they stand in the ring holding their newly won belts high. The bell is sounded, and it's Liger and Storm to start off. The fans settle in, popping when necessary, but never really feeling like the titles are in any great amount of jeopardy. The four men happen to produce one of the single best wrestled matches of the year thus far, however, and it's all clean. The end comes when Muta flies with a Moonsault onto Jericho and scores the 1-2-3 in this hard fought battle. The fans cheer for all four men as they shake hands, while Tenay and Ross agree that The Thrillers have a bright future in WCW as a Tag Team no doubt. However it is at this point that the Diamond Mine hit the ring and proceed to lay out all of them with brutal shots. Liger and Jericho take The Big Kev Bomb while Storm and Muta take The Diamond Drop. The fans, who had been cheering The Diamond Mine just an hour earlier, now boo them loudly, while on the floor Page is clapping and can be heard saying that his men are Champions already.

WINNERS: LIGER AND MUTA

WORKRATE: 97

CROWD: 69

OR: 83

(The WCW World Tag Team Titles gained in over rising from 78 to 80)

(Legendary Chris Jericho gained in over rising from 59 to 64)

(The Future Lance Storm gained in over rising from 58 to 63)

commercials

An Alliance That Is Based On Respect

2nd Generation, Antonio Inoki, and The Dragon Ricky Steamboat are with Bob Caudle at the interview area. Everyone but Inoki speaks, and they all talk about their individual matches at Fall Brawl as well as their big Tag Team Main Event later on. Jarrett says that this is an alliance of another kind, one that is based upon respect and admiration, and that all five of them have issues with The Unholy Alliance that stem back some time now. He all but promises that at Fall Brawl the five of them will be walking out victorious. Steamboat pretty much echoes his sentiments word for word, saying that he and Inoki WILL leave the PPV as champions, whether Rude and Flair like it or not. They then all walk off to prepare for their match while Caudle sends it to the ring.

OR: 73

(Jeff Jarrett loses in over dropping from 86 to 85)

Kimono Dragon vs. Tom Zenk(With Mr. Bob Backlund and Chris Benoit)

Kimono comes to the ring alone, as Jim and Mike say that Ultimo is in Japan, while Zenk is accompanied by Mr. Bob Backlund and Benoit. The match itself is mainly a squash, as Zenk gets the upper hand in the opening moments and never really loses it. He ends it with a Running Bulldog to get the academic 1-2-3 win here after Benoit applies The Crossface Chicken Wing on the floor while Zenk kept the referee distracted. As Zenk is getting his arm raised Brian Pillman comes from the back and lays into first Benoit then Mr. Backlund with a chair. He slides into the ring and swings at Zenk, but Zenk hightails it from the ring. Pillman's shoulder is heavily bandaged, and as he drops the chair a look of pain is on his face as he holds his shoulder. Kimono Dragon gets to his feet and nods at Pillman, as Mr. Backlund can be heard screaming that NEXT week he will make it all very official, and Pillman will become one of Mr. Backlund's Recruits. Tenay and Ross wonder what he's talking about as Zenk helps him and Benoit to the back.

WINNER: TOM ZENK

WORKRATE: 76

CROWD: 57

OR: 66

(Kimono Dragon gained in over rising from 39 to 42)

commercials

Main Event 10-Man Tag Team Match: 2nd Generation, Antonio Inoki, and The Dragon Ricky Steamboat vs. The Unholy Alliance(with Paul E. Dangerously)

The Unholy Alliance are led down by Dangerously to the normal booing, as Tenay says that he has learned that Koloff, who had been banished to Japan by the other members of The Alliance due to his poor performance as of late, will be back very soon, and apparently the monster within has been unleashed. Steamboat, Inoki, Jarrett, Hart, and Malenko come out next as a unit, and the fans cheer as they make their way down to the ring. Soon enough it's all ten men inside, and tempers flare and soon a brawl erupts. The ref, who happens to be Pee Wee Anderson again, tries for some time to gain some sort of order here, but to no avail. Soon enough it's just Jarrett and Anderson left in the ring while everyone else is on the floor fighting, and he FINALLY calls for the bell to start the match. Jarrett hits a Russian Leg Sweep on AA, and in a huge surprise he gets the 1-2-3 to win this. Tenay and Ross are shocked, but while the match may be over the fight is not. Jarrett goes outside and aids Hart in his battle with Windham, but soon enough Anderson is back out and he and Jarrett are going toe to toe again. The show comes to an end with the images of referees trying unsuccessfully to pull the ten men apart.

WINNERS: 2ND GENERATION, ANTONIO INOKI, AND THE DRAGON RICKY STEAMBOAT

WORKRATE: 81

CROWD: 78

OR: 79

OR: 70

TV RATING: 5.87

ATTENDANCE: 6039

Best Segment: Camp Cornette vs. The Diamond Mine

Worst Segment: 2 Cold vs. Koko

*****The above interviews at one point existed, but some glitch had left them gone. When the show was originally posted I replaced the missing interviews with the texts shown here, and opted to keep them that way now.*****

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WCW July In Review

July is over, and it will go down in history as an historic month to be sure, if for no other reason than the unification of the WCW World Tag Team and US Tag Team Titles, from here on out renamed to the WCW Tag Team Titles. The rest of the month saw the normal batch of winners and losers in WCW, as well as some big moves and shake-ups in the remainder of the wrestling world.

The Good

-Ricky Steamboat

The Dragon Ricky Steamboat wrestled in May and June as Kimono Dragon, but it was this month that he unmasked and really excelled, moving forward into a program with Ric Flair that saw both men put on what is thus far the Match of The Year as far as WCW is concerned. The match ended in a Time Limit Draw, but the wrestling was spot on, and the fans were totally into it. Add to that the fact that Steamboat defeated Flair in back to back weeks by pinfall, and this month has belonged to The Dragon. A rematch has already been signed for August's PPV, and we fully expect this feud to become one of the bright spots of our first year of power in WCW.

-Ric Flair

The feud and matches thus far with Steamboat have really been what Flair needed. Other than his program with Sting in the first three months of the year, Flair hasn't really been involved in anything major. The thing with Inoki failed to capture or draw, and his run with Jarrett was aborted for other angles involving both men, for now. Flair's reign as WCW World Heavyweight Champion hasn't been a failure, unlike Sting's run last year, but we can't qualify it as a success either. Flair needs this feud to continue to work, or it could wind up being viewed as an unsuccessful reign, and that is something WCW and we don't need.

-Liger and Muta

From a thrown together Tag Team in January to play temporary foils to The Diamond Mine to WCW Tag Team Champions in seven months is quite the accomplishment. Once we all saw these two work together in the ring we KNEW that we had a winner on our hands. Despite the fact that they get absolutely ZERO mic time, these two are among the most popular and over wrestlers in WCW. They seem capable of dragging good to great matches out of virtually every team they encounter also, which has done wonders for several teams in terms of popularity. We couldn't be happier with our current choice for WCW Tag Team Champions.

-Chris Benoit

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, this man may be the luckiest wrestler in WCW right now. Myself and Jim spotted him in January while we were looking for new, young, talent, and after six months in Developmental he debuted at WCW Tag Team Turmoil as the newest member of Mr. Backlund's Recruits. After only one month on TV, and a HUGE win over Brian Pillman at WCW Great American Bash, Benoit is sitting in a most enviable place. The story between Pillman and Mr. Backlund's Recruits has been a featured program since January, and it's not even close to being over yet. Obviously anyone plugged into this will benefit, and young Benoit has indeed done that, quickly becoming one of WCW's most hated wrestlers. However, as Al Snow, Jeff Jarrett, and The Thrillers learned, quick starts and immediate pushes don't always last here in WCW. Everyone must pay their dues, and Benoit will assuredly do jut that in the months to come.

The Bad

-Dangerous Dan Spivey

Why someone who was the Tag Team Partner of Sid Vicious during his release from WCW would no show and have an attitude backstage regarding putting talent over is beyond our level of comprehension, but that is indeed EXACTLY what Dan Spivey did this month. He received a one month suspension for his antics, and is currently on a short leash upon his return. Hopefully he won't make all the same mistakes Sid made with WCW.

-The Macon County Outlaws

Bart may very well be the dumbest man in WCW. He no sold for The Thrillers, a team we have great hopes and plans for when both teams debuted, immediately putting himself and his team on the jobber list. He seemed to be learning his lesson, but that proved to be false, as he did it AGAIN earlier this month. Now he, and Jesse, have been sent BACK to Developmental less than sixty days after being pulled out originally. Jesse may very well see himself back sooner once we determine what direction to go with him on his own, but Bart, aka Mike Barton, may indeed wind up spending what little time is left on his contract sitting down there before being released. A reputation like this at this early part of his career may be the end of his career if he's not careful.

-Ron Garvin

A failed TV Title reign, a mostly failed feud with Sweet Stan up to this point, an aborted feud with The Scorpion, and a failed singles push, all since his return to WCW in March of this year. No matter what we seem to try, Ron Garvin simply can't seem to make it work. He's currently holding the WCW TV Title, a belt he has caused to lose value after it was one of WCW's preeminent belts while Stunning Steve Austin and Sweet Stan Lane held it for the first half of 1991, but that assuredly won't last long. His entire run has been one misstep or out and out failure after another. He has just received James E. Cornette as his, and all of The Foundation, manager, and that will very likely be the final straw for a failed run of a former WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

Other Promotions

-WWF

The WWF had another great month as they rose in popularity, mostly due to the Main Event story that features Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior against Brother Love's stable, featuring The Undertaker, Ted Dibiase, Virgil, Sid Justice, and Paul Bearer. The WWF PPV for this month, WWF In Your House: Justice Be Done was headlined with a Hulk Hogan vs. Sid Justice World Title Match where Hogan dropped the belt to Sid. I have to wonder what the WWF are thinking, but I suppose a company that has ego running amok already wouldn't hesitate to foster the growth of another. The PPV did a 2.0 Buyrate.

-xXx Wrestling

They made huge news in late June when they announced that they would be the FIRST major North American Wrestling Promotion to not only feature Women's Wrestling on par and as important as the male counterpart, but to sign six of the top women in the sport. That ended on July 1st, however, when the company abruptly fired EVERY woman on it's small roster, and then fired most of the men. Currently offering small shows in The Carolina's featuring VERY YOUNG and GREEN talent, the company is already beginning to falter. Word has it that it may very well shut down before the end of the year.

-NWA:East Coast Wrestling

The promotion currently carrying the banner for the NWA continues to grow with leaps and bounds. What was ONCE THOUGHT to be a direct insult to the USWA when Jerry Lawler debuted in NWA:ECW and threw the USWA Title in a garbage can is now looking to be a complete work. This month in Philadelphia at a large show the USWA Champion Tom Pritchard arrived and blasted Lawler in the back of the head during a World Title defense against Paul Orndorrf. Although Pritchard was escorted from the building, one week later Pritchard was cost his title at a USWA show when Lawler did the same. Now the NWA:ECW are hyping an event in August featuring these two former allies and friends in a match, while the USWA are doing the same for a few weeks later. It certainly looks as if the USWA may be under the NWA umbrella, which would be good for BOTH organizations.

-Unbeatable Wrestling Xtreme

This unknown quantity debuted at the end of this month, with The American Dream Dusty Rhodes playing a MAJOR role. Rhodes currently works for the WWF, but he seems to have been allowed to moonlight here. Little to nothing else is known.

Other News

-Dory Funk Jr. has announced his plans to retire by the end of August.

-WCW Slam Packed Wrestling has been renewed by TNT for another nine months in it's current time slot.

-Harley Race, The Future Lance Storm, and Beautiful Bobby Eaton all signed new contracts.

To be honest, I almost believe that in 2 pages worth of diary writing, you could get a Japanese wrestler like Muta or Kimono Whatsit over in the US.  Almost.

Care to elaborate? Because all i got out of that was that you don't think that i got Muta and Liger over.

TGC

Edited by thegodcomplex

WCW Slam Packed Wrestling

Friday, August 2, 1991

Announcers: Eric Bischoff and Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Taped

The Omni

Atlanta, GA

WCW TV Title Match: Ron Garvin vs. Ultimo Dragon

The music of Ultimo hits, and he walks from the back to start the show as Eric and Jesse welcome everyone. Ultimo hits the ring to some small applause, and then the music of The Foundation hits, and Ron Garvin is accompanied to the ring by Thomas Rich, who gets the task of carrying the briefcase this week. Garvin places the TV Title in the case, then enters the ring where Ultimo extends a hand for some sportsmanship. Garvin smiles, then unloads with lefts and rights on the challenger to start the match. Garvin continues this for several seconds, until Ultimo decides that he's had enough and starts to WRESTLE the champion. Garvin is so out of his element here, and it shows big time. Garvin is simply dominated for the next seven minutes, unable to catch his breath or counter anything. Finally, nine minutes into the match after a Dragon Suplex, Thomas Rich distracts the ref and slides the briefcase inside the ring. Ultimo grabs it and picks it up, just as Rich points it out. The ref yanks it away and goes to toss it to the floor as Rich enters the ring and nails Ultimo in the back of the head with brass knuckles. Ultimo drops as Rich bails from the ring and Garvin rolls his arm over for a weak cover. The ref makes the count and the 1-2-3 occurs JUST prior to the time limit at 9:55. The crowd boo a little as Rich re-enters the ring and lays boots to Ultimo. Kimono comes from the back, and soon he is taking it to Thomas Rich. Garvin scrambles up and rolls from the ring as Kimono hits an Enzuguiri that sends Rich to the floor.

WINNER: RON GARVIN

WORKRATE: 88

CROWD: 54

OR: 71

(That was a nice opener, and it was ALL Ultimo. Garvin did a good job selling, but in the end these two couldn't muster much of ANY interest from the fans. Tomorrow night sees the beginning of some things that we HOPE will get the fans back into the TV Title Division as we prepare for Sweet Stan's rematch with WHOMEVER is champ at WarGames.)

commercials

WCW's Nightmare

Bob Caudle is at the interview area with Paul E Dangerously.

Caudle: Last Saturday Night Jim Ross and Mike Tenay mentioned that The Russian Nightmare was set to return to WCW tonight, but so far nobody has seen him? Paul E. what gives?

Paul E.: Bob, I never said The Russian Nightmare was coming tonight, THEY said it. In fact, he is NOT in the building, nor was he ever supposed to be in the building.

Caudle: Okay, so when is Nikita Koloff coming back to WCW then?

Paul E. laughs as the fans boo at the mention of Koloff's name.

Paul E.: I also NEVER said that Nikita Koloff was coming back to WCW anytime soon.

Caudle: So what DID you say then?

Paul E.: I said that The Russian Nightmare was coming to WCW this week. The fact that EVERYONE implied that it was Koloff was THEIR assumption, and possibly mistake. The fact is, The Russian Nightmare will be here tomorrow night, and he is indeed a member of The Dangerous Alliance, therefore a member of The Unholy Alliance by default. So, on his behalf, I am issuing an open challenge to anyone on the WCW roster to step up and try and take this monster on.

Caudle: So you're not going to tell us WHO this Russian nightmare is?

Paul E.: Nikita Koloff left the states a few months ago after he had some issues with his stablemates in The Unholy Alliance. Whether or not it is he that is returning or someone entirely different I'm not going to say, all I will say is that this man, this nightmare, is almost unstoppable. The nightmare begins for WCW tomorrow night.

Paul E. walks off amid some loud boos, as Caudle stands with a look of confusion on his face.

OR: 87

(The Russian Nightmare gained in over rising from 76 to 77)

The Steiners vs. The Texas Mustangs

The Mustangs are in the ring as the scene shifts from Caudle. The Steiners are out next, and the fans react with some cheers as they enter the ring. The match begins, but the fans don't get into it too much. Whether that comes from the fact that The Texas Mustangs rarely win a match or something else can't be determined however. Scott is the one in the match mostly for his team, and he displays his varied wrestling abilities as well as his power moves on both Mustangs. The end comes very quickly, as Scott hits a Frankensteiner on Duncum and gets the rather easy 1-2-3. The fans show their respect for The Steiners, as Eric and Jesse discuss the PPV match in a few weeks against The Fabulous Freebirds. The Mustangs are seen walking off, Hawk helping Duncum, and not looking pleased either.

WINNERS: THE STEINERS

WORKRATE: 79

CROWD: 62

commercials

Jeff Jarrett Is Ready For His Close Up

Caudle is once again in the interview area, and this time he has Jeff Jarrett by his side.

Caudle: Jeff, in just a few short weeks you will once again team up with Dean Malenko to take on The Horsemen in a Tag Team Match, but in just a few moments you will go one on one with Stunning Steve Austin in what I believe is NOT your first meeting.

Jarrett: How right you are Bob. It IS our first encounter in WCW, but up north a ways in Tennessee I knew Steve Austin pretty well, and the two of us had more than one dust up. However I like to think that the BOTH of us have taken our game to a new level since we came to WCW, and this should be one heck of a wrestling match. Stunning Steve likes to have people watching his back nowadays, but I'm not concerned with that too much. IF it's necessary, I know that Dean and Owen will be out to keep things even.

Caudle: Speaking of evening things out, it's become something of a rumor mill regarding just who is this often mentioned but still not seen fourth member of 2nd Generation...

Jarrett: Whoa, whoa, whoa there Bob, this is about TONIGHT, not the future. Our friend WILL be in WCW as we've promised, but as I've said all along, it's about the timing. When he and we feel it's right, he'll show up. Until then, he's got other things to deal with elsewhere. Now, back to my match tonight. I would like to hope that Steve is as curious as I am as to which one of us is the better man, so I'm hoping that he won't bring his back-up tonight, and the two of us can just have a nice wrestling match, with the better man winning.

Caudle: And if not?

Jarrett: As I said, Bob, I have MY back-up too. It was nice talking to you Bob, don't be a stranger.

Jarrett walks off to an OVERWHELMING response from the fans.

Caudle: Jeff Jarrett one on one with Stunning Steve Austin, and it's our Main Event tonight, right after THIS match.

OR: 91

(Jeff Jarrett gains in over rising from 85 to 86)

Chris Benoit(with Mr. Bob Backlund and Tom Zenk) vs. Kimono Dragon

Kimono comes out first, alone, as Eric and Jesse discuss first how Ultimo is apparently injured in the back after his shot to the back of the head, then how Mr. Bob Backlund said that tomorrow night he'd start to clear it all up for Brian Pillman. As this is being dealt with Mr. Backlund and Zenk lead Benoit to the ring. Benoit shakes hands with his mentor and teammate, then gets in the ring. The bell sounds and these two put on a technical masterpiece, mainly led by Benoit, that soon moves to a more aerial based match, led by Kimono. Unlike the mostly squash from last Saturday with Zenk, Kimono is able to gain and maintain control of a good portion of this match. He goes to the top rope for a Moonsault, but Zenk grabs the ropes and shakes as he's screaming at Benoit to get up. This causes Kimono to topple to the mat. The ref admonishes him, but allows the match to continue on. Where it goes is to Benoit VERY SOON after locking in The Crossface Chicken Wing and getting the submission victory. Zenk climbs into the ring, and as Benoit holds the ref back he applies The Z-Factor (Boston Crab) to Kimono. He doesn't have it on long however, as Pillman soon makes his way to the ring to the cheers of the crowd. Zenk and Benoit bail out and head back with Mr. Backlund, as he is heard telling Pillman he will start to make it clear once and for all tomorrow night. Pillman's shoulder is still heavily bandaged, as he nods his head and looks determined.

WINNER: CHRIS BENOIT

WORKRATE: 87

CROWD: 66

OR: 76

(Kimono Dragon gained in over rising from 42 to 47)

commercials

Main Event Match: Jeff Jarrett vs. Stunning Steve Austin(with Superstar Steven Regal)

Austin comes from the back to a rousing chorus of boos with Regal at his side. Jesse says that he knows for a fact that James E. Cornette is in meetings all weekend, and won't be with his men, so they have to look out for each other this week. Bischoff seems upset and disappointed that Austin didn't accept the challenge laid out by Jarrett, as he arrives to a chorus of cheers. The two men are soon in the ring, and the ref calls for the bell. Bischoff mentions that TV Time is dwindling, but should this match not end before they have to go it will be finished tomorrow night at the start of the program. Jesse doesn't think Austin will have any trouble ending this quick tonight, as Austin and Regal are Jesse's picks for future stars who will take it to that next level very soon. In the ring the two have a short feeling out period, but it is soon evident that they have met before, as each is able to counter the familiar moves of the other. Austin soon gains temporary control of the match, working the neck of Jarrett over. Jarrett is able to block an attempted Stun Gun, and hits a Reverse Atomic Drop. Regal looks worried on the outside, as Jarrett then begins his work on the leg. He soon begins to apply The Figure Four Leglock, but Austin is able to kick him off. Jarrett drops a few knees on Austin's leg, then goes to apply it again as Regal gets on the apron. Austin again kicks Jarrett off, and Jarrett flies into the ropes and nails Regal with a stiff punch to the jaw. With Regal on the floor Austin gets to his feet, but Jarrett hits a Running Bulldog that only gets two. Jarrett then positions Austin in a seated position on the top rope and climbs up. It looks as if Jarrett is going to go for a Suplex off the middle rope, but instead he hits a DDT that plants Austin squarely on his head. Jarrett rolls him up and gets the 1-2-3 as Regal is now making his way into the ring. Jarrett is quickly to his feet, and he and Regal exchange blows, which ends with Jarrett Short Arm Clotheslining Regal, then locking The Figure Four Leglock onto him. Austin is still out as Regal is screaming in pain, soon screaming he quits. Jarrett rolls to the floor amid the crowd's thunderous cheers, and walks off all smiles as the show ends.

WINNER: JEFF JARRETT

WORKRATE: 75

CROWD: 88

OR: 84

OR: 80

TV RATING: 5.83

ATTENDANCE: 6029

Best Segment: Jeff Jarrett Interview

Worst Segment: The Steiners vs. The Texas Mustangs

WCW Saturday Night On TNT

Saturday August 03, 1991

Announcers: Jim Ross and Mike Tenay

Taped

The Omni

Atlanta, GA

WCW TV Title Number One Contenders Match: Mike Rotunda vs. Terry Taylor vs. Tommy Rich vs. Tracey Smothers

The show opens and immediately The Foundation members Mike Rotunda, Tracey Smothers, and Tommy Rich head out from the back, alone. They get into the ring to some moderate catcalls and booing from the crowd as Mike and Jim announce how James E. Cornette, who is away in meetings this week, set this up to determine who would meet Ron Garvin next Friday Night. Out next is Terry Taylor, to a small response also, and he gets into the ring looking a little bit worried. The ref calls for the bell, and it's all four men going at it as Tenay says that the rules are similar to a Texas Tornado Match, with the first man to score a pinfall or submission winning. Terry is being beaten on by the three Foundation members, who don't seem to care about anything but abusing Taylor. Terry is whipped into the ropes by Rotunda and Rich, and he ducks a Double Clothesline and nails Tracey Smothers, who was behind them, with a Shoulder Tackle. He turns and hits Rich and Rotunda with a Double DDT after kicks to the gut. He is moving fast, as he DDT's Rich again, nails a weak looking Piledriver on Rotunda, then locks a Figure Four Armbar on Smothers. The fans are cheering Taylor on a bit, as Smothers has had enough and quits, to the shock of everyone. Taylor rolls to the floor, as Rich and Rotunda come to and look on in SHOCK at this surprising turn of events. Mike and Jim heavily promote the WCW TV Title Match on WCW Slam Packed Wrestling next week between Ron Garvin and Terry Taylor into the commercials.

WORKRATE: 66

CROWD: 63

OR: 64

commercials

Owen Hart Steps Up To The Plate Against The Russian Nightmare

Bob Caudle is standing next to Owen Hart in the interview area, as the fans are slightly cheering.

Caudle: Owen, you came to me and asked for this time.

Owen: I sure did Bob. Well, despite having a HUGE match AGAIN with Barry Windham at WCW Fall Brawl in just a few weeks, I am the person who accepted Paul E. Dangerously's open challenge on behalf of his Russian Nightmare.

The crowd lightly cheers here.

Caudle: Oh my goodness. Do you have any idea who The Russian Nightmare is, Owen?

Owen: I don't have a clue. But I'm going to find out right now.

Caudle: Before you head to the ring, why did you do this just, as you said, a few weeks prior to your big PPV Match against Barry Windham?

Owen: 2nd Generation has been about timing and stepping up to the plate since we began. Whether it was Jeff's huge debut and big wins over people like Nikita Koloff, Arn Anderson, and The Nature Boy Ric Flair, or my win over Barry Windham last month on PPV, that's what the three of us have done. This is no different. Paul E. and The Unholy Alliance think they can do whatever they want, and we're some of the ones who are telling them they can't. Watch me shut down this Nightmare before the dream even gets going.

With that Owen heads towards the ring and rolls inside to some small cheers.

OR: 69

Owen Hart vs. The Russian Nightmare(with Paul E. Dangerously)

As Owen waits in the ring, Paul E. walks out from the back alone with a smile on his face. He looks back towards the way he came out, but nothing happens and nobody comes out. Owen looks confused, as the fans start to boo, then gets nailed in the back with a Russian Lariat by Nikita Koloff, who looks a little more cut and in better shape than he did when he left. The ref calls for the bell as Paul E. smiles and walks to the ring. Koloff picks Owen up and Press Slams him to the mat, then bounces off the far ropes and hits a Splash. He picks Owen up into a Bear Hug, as Barry Windham walks out from the back and stands next to Paul E., both men looking happy and discussing something. Koloff releases the Bear Hug, dropping Owen prone to the mat. Koloff walks around the ring pulling down the straps of his singlet, as the crowd boos a bit. He is screaming something in Russian, then he walks over to Owen and leans down to pick him up. Owen Small Packages him, which sends the crowd into a VERY short lived frenzy. The Small Package gets two only, and incenses Koloff, who is soon just pummeling Owen with lefts and rights. Owen winds up on the mat next to Paul E. and Windham, and Windham can be heard talking trash to Owen, before he slaps him across the face. Koloff then scoops Owen up again, Gorilla Presses him, then follows that up with a Short Arm Clothesline that nearly decapitates Owen. The 1-2-3 is next, and not a surprise at all, as Koloff walks off with Barry and Paul E., while Jim and Mike say that Owen NEVER had a chance after he was sneak attacked from behind.

WINNER: THE RUSSIAN NIGHTMARE NIKITA KOLOFF

WORKRATE: 60

CROWD: 70

(The Russian Nightmare Nikita Koloff lost in over dropping from 77 to 75)

(An impressive return for Koloff, who we have big plans for. We fully admit he was poorly booked by us in our first six months, and this return and retooling is a way for us to hopefully fix the mistakes we felt we made. However this match didn't do a whole lot for him really, as the fans never thought for much at all that Owen Hart had a chance here. Look for Nikita to get bigger and more powerful opponents as his retooling continues.)

2 Cold 2 Snow Seem To Be Very Cold...To Each Other

Caudle is at his spot, as on one side stands 2 Cold and on the other is Al Snow.

Caudle:Last week you, 2 Cold, went one on one with a man you said was a hero to you, Koko. It didn't go well, as we saw the return of Ron Simmons and Butch Reed, collectively known as Doom, who cost you your match. This week both of you will take on Doom in a Tag Team Match. Your thoughts?

2 Cold: My thoughts are STILL wondering where Al was, since I KNOW he was in the building.

Caudle: Al?

Snow: What? You were the one sitting in the dressing room last week, 2 Cold, who jumped up and said what an honor it would be to wrestle Koko in his first WCW match. Fine, go for it, break a leg, all that, but I had no idea that Doom was here or that they were going to attack you during the match. In case you forgot, 2 Cold, since we started teaming up I haven't exactly gotten a ton of TV time, and last week was ANOTHER example of that. Did you ask me to watch your back or come out with you? Heck, by the time I saw what was happening it was too late anyways. I DID meet you once you got into the back, but you had a bit of an attitude, so I left. I'm here with you this week, I've got your back, and we'll take care of business. Right now.

With that Al walks towards the ring, leaving Caudle and 2 Cold alone.

Caudle: There seems to be some sort of animosity between the two of you.

2 Cold glares off in the direction of the ring, then looks at Caudle.

2 Cold: It's fine, we're still a new team Bob, and these things happen. We'll work it all out, but like Al said, right now we have to go take care of Doom. Excuse me.

2 Cold walks off now, and Caudle is left alone.

Caudle: Well, let's hope these two can work out there issues, as they are about to wrestle former WCW Tag Team Champions, and perhaps one of the most dominant Tag Teams in WCW history.

(2 Cold lost in over dropping from 76 to 73)

2 Cold 2 Snow vs. Doom(with Koko)

As 2 Cold joins Snow in the ring, the music of Doom and Koko hits, and the three men walk out to some boos. Doom head into the ring and the four men go nose to nose, while Koko hangs out on the floor. The ref gets Snow and Reed out of the ring, calls for the bell, and Simmons and 2 Cold go at it, exchanging blows that Simmons immediately wins. Simmons whips 2 Cold into the ropes, but he comes off with a Cross Body Block of sorts and gets caught. Simmons Powerslams him to the mat, but it only gets a two count. Simmons works 2 Cold over some more, then tags in Reed, who does the same. 2 Cold is able to get out of a Running Power Slam from Reed, but instead of going for the tag he fights with Reed. He goes to the top rope and flies, but again he is caught and driven hard to the mat. This only gets a two count again, and Simmons is tagged in. Snow is going nuts on the apron, but 2 Cold can't make a tag in. Again 2 Cold is able to momentarily get the advantage on Simmons, and again instead of going for a tag he heads up top. He flies with a Frog Splash on Simmons, but only gets a two count. As Snow is screaming for a tag in 2 Cold tries another Splash, but this time Simmons moves. Both men are down, and FINALLY 2 Cold starts to make moves for a tag in. However Koko grabs Snow's feet pulling him off the apron as 2 Cold makes his way there. He looks confused, as Snow nails Koko in the head with a stiff shot. Simmons is up, and he pulls 2 Cold back from the corner as Snow gets back on the apron. Simmons scoops 2 Cold up and hits a Running Power Slam which gains Doom the 1-2-3 win. Snow gets into the ring and stands over his partner, but Doom walk off with Koko as the fans boo. Snow looks upset, but he helps his partner from the ring and towards the back to some slight applause.

WINNERS: DOOM

WORKRATE: 90

CROWD: 68

OR: 79

(Butch Reed lost in over dropping from 68 to 67)

end of first hour commercials

Dangerous Dan Spivey vs. Stan Hansen

Spivey comes out first to some weak boos, and he is soon followed by Stan Hansen, who has his trusty rope and cowbell and is clanging it like a madman. The fans are hollering with him a bit, but they die down when the match starts. This is ALL Hansen here, as Spivey, the much bigger man, misses a few big moves and can't recover. Hansen shocks just about everyone as he picks Spivey up and delivers a vicious looking Piledriver on Spivey garnering the 1-2-3. Hansen then clangs his bell some more and hollers for Annihilation to come and get him, as he spits tobacco juice on Spivey's chest. Annihilation never shows and the fans don't really seem to care.

WINNER: STAN HANSEN

WORKRATE: 78

CROWD: 63

(Stan Hansen lost in over and drops from 74 to 73)

(The original ending to this match saw Bad Brian Lee coming out with Spivey and walking off and out on his partner in disgust. This, however, was changed due to the fact that Lee suffered an eye injury in a match not taped for TV, and will wind up being out for the next two months. And thus the “curse” surrounding Spivey seems to remain intact. In any event, Spivey did his return from punishment job, and can HOPEFULLY keep his nose clean for the foreseeable future.)

commercials

The Nature Boy And The Ravishing One...What Else Do You Need

Jesse Ventura is now in the interview area, and next to him are Rude and Flair, both men dressed to wrestle.

Ventura: I'm here, and so are the champs. No need for any lengthy introductions. If you don't know who they are you don't matter. Ravishing One?

Rude smiles as the fans go nuts with booing.

Rude: What you have here, Body, is the best in wrestling today, period. I've defeated Warriors, Total Packages, and Foreign Legends over the years more times than I can count, yet this current challenger has everyone thinking The Ravishing One is down for the count. I know everyone thinks Antonio Inoki had my number last month, but the fact of the matter is, he never had a chance of winning. I had him and that match in my control the entire time, and anyone who says differently is simply wrong. I am now and will remain after WCW Fall Brawl the WCW US Champion, and I'm going to prove that tonight when I pin Antonio Inoki in our Tag Team Match.

Flair: WHOOO! Only if you can pin Inoki BEFORE I pin Steamboat. Body, from now on The Ravishing One and The Nature Boy ONLY talk to you. We're done with people like Bischoff, Tenay, and this new moron Caudle. We're the WCW Champions and we ONLY deal with the best of the best, of which you are. As far as Steamboat and Inoki go, both of them have a nice string of LUCK going into tonight and the PPV, but it ENDS tonight. Whether The Ravishing One pins Inoki or I beat Steamboat, those two wannabes have NO CHANCE tonight. Playtime is over, and we're going to show the entire world why we not only hold these titles, but have held them for months on end. It's not changing anytime soon, WHOOO! and everyone better deal with it. Cuz whether you like us or you don't like us, learn to love us, because we are the best thing going today.

Rude: WHOOO!

The fans boo with all their might as Flair and Rude shake hands with Ventura and walk off.

Ventura: I have to totally agree with EVERYTHING they had to say here. Look out boys, later tonight you meet the champs.

OR: 92

commercials

2nd Generation vs. Camp Cornette

As Austin and Regal come out to a good negative crowd reaction Jim and Mike replay the events of last night where Jarrett pinned Austin despite Regal's attempted interference. Mike says that Camp Cornette, who have had issues with The Diamond Mine in the past few weeks, asked for this Tag Team Match and Jarrett and Malenko were only too happy to oblige. They come out next to a nice reaction from the fans as well, and soon it's Malenko and Regal starting off the match. This pairing works quite well, as both men are mat technicians and are able to carry a nice mat based match along. Malenko soon tags in to Jarrett, who asks for Austin to come in as well. He does, and the two men have a short stare down and trash talking session before finally locking up. Austin gains the upper hand, and he and Regal begin quick tags in and out, keeping Jarrett isolated from Malenko. As the match is progressing along nicely, Mike and Jim start asking why they are here, and soon the voices of Big Kev, The Studd, and Page are heard taking over commentary. The threesome do a decent job here, burying both teams while also making a point to follow the action and point out obvious mistakes. As Jarrett gets the tag in to Malenko finally and he goes after Regal, Page tells his boys to do it. They are soon on screen, as they pull Austin off the apron and just beat the hell out of him on the floor. The ref, who is busy asking Regal if he gives it up as he's locked in The Texas Cloverleaf, misses the assault. Soon enough Regal has no choice but to quit, as the fans cheer. Page, still doing commentary gets a good shot in here saying that is why Camp Cornette didn't go all the way in Tag Team Turmoil, because they are both quitters, as has been proved the last two nights. Jarrett and Malenko head to the back as The Mine hit the ring and toss Regal about, before finally depositing him on the floor next to Austin. Page is inside with them, as Ross and Tenay take back their commentary job, and he has a mic.

WINNERS: 2ND GENERATION

WORKRATE: 88

CROWD: 81

OR: 84

(Dean Malenko gains in over rising from 64 to 65)

(Jeff Jarrett gains in over rising from 86 to 87)

The Diamond Mine Are Not Too Thrilled

Page has the mic, as his boys stand back watching and smiling.

Page: And now we all see AGAIN that Camp Cornette simply are NOT in the same league as The Diamond Mine. For that matter, no team in WCW is, but I think we all knew that already. We have beaten EVERY team that has had the misfortune of stepping into the ring with us, and that won't change anytime soon. At WCW Fall Brawl The Midnight Express SOMEHOW get WCW Tag Team Titles shots against the paper champions Liger and Muta, but I am RIGHT NOW on behalf of Big Kev and The Studd challenging the winners to a match for the belts at WarGames. We've beaten and embarrassed BOTH teams in the past, just like we embarrassed the champions and The Thrillers last week in that mockery of a Tag Team Titles Match. How many times in the past eight months have The Diamond Mine defeated Liger and Muta, and yet their FIRST title defense is against a couple of kids who...

They are interrupted by cheers from the crowd and the sound of Legendary Chris Jericho's voice, as he and The Future Lance Storm are now at the commentators area, with Tenay holding a mic.

Jericho: Blah Blah yack yack yackitty yack yack. Last week you DID embarrass The Thrillers, by jumping us after we had just wrestled a long, hard, match. However The Future and myself wonder if you could do that when we're fresh and ready to go? How about we all find out at Fall Brawl? What does the big bad Diamond Mine say to a match with the most exciting Tag Team in all of wrestling, The Thrillers?

Nash and Hall laugh, while Page tries to hold his composure.

Page: Well, seeing as how we have BEATEN YOU two before, like every team here, we have no problem with that, do we boys?

Nash and Hall continue to laugh and shake their heads.

Storm: You know, the only thing we really worry about is whether or not you two can hang with us inside the ring. I mean, everybody knows that The Thrillers are The Future of wrestling and already Legendary in most circles, and we're simply the best, Even In Canada.

The crowd cheers for the catch phrase, even though it made no sense here, showing their fondness for this team of young wrestlers.

Page: The only thing WE worry about is ...

Again Page is cut off by Jericho.

Jericho: You should worry about what's about to happen.

Page: Oh should we? And what are you two going to do from over there?

Storm: Not us...THEM!

With that said, Regal and Austin lay out Nash and Hall with chair shots to the back of the head, then lay into Page with the same. The Diamond Mine are left down on the mat as Camp Cornette walk off looking pleased, and actually garnering some applause.

Jericho: Now THAT HAD to hurt. We'll see you guys at Fall Brawl, and we hope you're ready to be Thrilled.

OR: 81

(Legendary Chris Jericho gains in over rising from 64 to 66)

(The Future Lance Storm gains in over rising from 63 to 66)

commercials

Mr. Backlund Is Ready To Reveal It All

Mr. Bob Backlund is in the interview area with Caudle, and he is smiling.

Caudle: Last week and last night both, you claimed that you were going to reveal something to Brian Pillman. What is it?

Mr. Backlund: Stand back and listen as I regale you with my words of truth and meaning on this long standing issue between Mr. Pillman and my Recruits. As I have said for so very long, Mr. Zenk and Mr. Benoit are but two of my many students who have come from near and far to learn the ways of the ring from a master such as myself. All of them young, hungry, ready to learn, and willing to do whatever it takes to make me proud and happy. Understandably, I have rewarded my two prize pupils, Mr's Zenk and Benoit, but it is time for a third to make his presence felt here in WCW. My latest student is ready to gain lauds and appreciation from the wrestling industry as a whole as he shows what he has learned from the master of the grappling world. Next week he will make his presence felt, as he will team with Mr's Zenk and Benoit in a Six Man Tag Team Match against Mr. Pillman and whatever other two he can find to stand by his side. I am unsure if he can find ANYONE, but I am giving him a full week's chance to do so. Oh, and Mr. Pillman, should you and your partners lose, your services shall belong to Mr. Bob Backlund once and for all. So...

Brian Pillman walks up, his shoulder and elbow still bandaged.

Pillman: Next week, your three Recruits against me and whomever I can find? That sounds good to me Backlund...

Mr. Backlund: It is Mr. Bob...

Pillman: I have no problem doing this, and HOPEFULLY ending this thing once and for all. I'm tired of wasting my time with you and your boys and I'm ready to get back into contention for some titles around here. I guarantee you this ends next week.

Mr. Backlund: Somehow, I believe you Mr. Pillman.

With that said Zenk and Benoit come from nowhere and attack Pillman from behind. He is being beaten on, especially his arm and shoulder, when The Dragons arrive on the scene. Mr. Backlund and his Recruits back off.

Caudle: The favor has been returned, as The Dragons have now made the save to Brian Pillman he has made to both of them in recent weeks.

Pillman gets to his feet, and shakes hands with The Dragons.

Pillman: I think I have my partners. See you next Saturday.

With that all six men walk off.

Caudle: Up next, our Main Event.

OR: 73

commercials

Main Event Match: The Nature Boy Ric Flair and Ravishing Rick Rude vs. The Dragon Ricky Steamboat and Antonio Inoki

The two teams make their separate entrances to a hot crowd, then the ref starts the match. Rude and Inoki start it off with a great back and forth mat wrestling opening that neither can gain an advantage with. Soon Inoki tags in Steamboat, and he is able to gain an advantage over Rude. However he tosses Rude into the corner and asks for Flair. The World Champion looks upset, but tags in and the two men who know each other so well go toe to toe once again. This match is faster, with little TV time remaining, but the crowd stays into it. Inoki is tagged back in, and he is soon worked over by Flair, then Rude, then Flair again. Inoki makes a hot tag to Steamboat, who again goes to town on Rude. The ref gets hit with a random punch and goes down. This signals the end, as Flair hits the floor and grabs a chair. He lays into Inoki first, sending him to the floor, then rolls in as Steamboat is going for a pin and beats him with the chair. Flair tosses the chair out and rolls Rude to the floor, then locks in The Figure Four just as the ref comes to. He sees Steamboat on his back locked in the hold and makes the 1-2-3, giving the win, via a chair, to Flair and Rude. The show ends with Ross saying this is despicable.

WINNERS: THE NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR AND RAVISHING RICK RUDE

WORKRATE: 82

CROWD: 84

OR: 83

OR: 75

TV RATING: 5.85

ATTENDANCE: 6031

Best Segment: Flair and Rude interview

Worst Segment: TV Title Number One Contenders Match

*****The numbers were lost, therfore only the OR's are available.*****

WCW Slam Packed Wrestling

Friday August 09, 1991

Announcers: Eric Bischoff and Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Taped

The Omni

Atlanta, GA

Stan Hansen vs. Ron Harris(with Don Harris)

The opening video of WCW Slam Packed Wrestling hits, and it is followed immediately by the sounds of some slight cheering as Stan Hansen, cowbell in hand and a mouth full of chew, walks from the back and heads towards the ring. He gets inside to face Ron Harris, whose brother is at ringside watching, and is immediately attacked. The ref calls for the bell as Ron lays huge Forearm shots to the back of Hansen's head. Hansen drops the cowbell which Don rushes over to retrieve. Ron gets Hansen up on his shoulders, then delivers a Fallaway Slam, of sorts, and goes for the cover. Harris gets a long two count here. He picks Hansen up, and receives a shot to the midsection from Hansen, who follows up with a Short Arm Clothesline that practically takes Ron's head off. Don scurries under the ropes with the cowbell, but Hansen spits tobacco juice in his face and tosses him back over the ropes to the floor. Ron gets to his feet slowly, and Hansen races across the ring with a Lariat that connects. The rest is completely academic, as Hansen gets the 1-2-3 win here with ease.

WINNER: STAN HANSEN

OR: 59

Annihilated Again

As Hansen is getting his cowbell and clanging it like mad, the fans boo rather loud as Cactus Jack makes his way from the crowd, Bang Banging all the way. He slides under the bottom ropes behind Hansen, and moves for an attack, but Hansen at the last second whips around and nails Jack with the cowbell to the head. He then proceeds to pummel Jack about the face and chest, until The Scorpion slides into the ring from the opposite side, long used and dented chair in hand. He nails Hansen atop the head with it several times, then wallops him across the face with it. The fans boo as The Scorpion then places the chair on Hansen's head. However before more damage can be done, Robert Fuller, former manager for The Macon County Outlaws, rushes to the ring with a branding iron. He is actually able to chase The Scorpion and Jack from the ring, much to the surprise of virtually everyone, and kneels next to Hansen to check on him.

OR: 72

(Robert Fuller gained in over rising from 78 to 81)

(Stan Hansen lost in over dropping from 73 to 68)

commercials

James E. Cornette Is Not A Happy Man

Bob Caudle is standing with James E. Cornette, who has The Foundation, Michael Rotunda and Thomas Rich, at his side, at the interview area.

Cornette: Not a word Bob, I have some things to deal with, and listening to you flap your useless gums ain't one of them. Last week as I was stuck in meetings ALL week long, my boys in The Foundation had a less than stellar week here in the ring. That's okay, things happen, but this week, this week The Foundation steps it up a notch to remind people why we are who we are. First and foremost, tonight these two men here are going to lay a beating on The Midnight Express. Sweet Stan and Beautiful Bobby, you two have been a thorn in my side for far too long, and tonight begins the extraction process full on. You two may have a WCW Tag Team Titles shot at Fall Brawl here in a couple of weeks, but you have to make it there to get it. The Foundation plans to see to it that you in fact do NOT make it there. That leads me into tonight's Main Event, as The Man With The Hands Of Stone Ron Garvin will defend the coveted WCW TV Title against a man he ALREADY BEAT last month on PPV. Terry Taylor, how you managed to defy the odds and defeat my boys in that match last week mystifies me, even after I've watched the tape. No matter though, because I can guarantee you that there is NO WAY you are walking out of here tonight, let alone with the TV Title around your waist. Okay boys, let's go show The Midnight Express and these drunk hillbillies how things get done around here.

Cornette leads his men to the ring as Caudle looks on.

OR: 76

The Foundation(with James E. Cornette) vs. The Midnight Express

Cornette and company wait in the ring, as Eric and Jesse do a quick rundown of the six month long issues that exist between Cornette's many wrestlers and The Midnight Express. Soon enough the music plays and the crowd cheers as The Midnight Express make their way down the aisle, smacking hands and looking serious. They get into the ring, where Cornette bails out, and the ref calls for the bell, sending Sweet Stan and Rotunda to the apron. Beautiful Bobby and Rich lock up, and at first it's Rich who dominates the match, but that quickly comes to an end. Bobby delivers a boot to the midsection to Rich that doubles him over, then tags in Stan, who delivers Too Sweet as Rich straightens up. Rotunda gets nailed with Too Sweet as well from the apron, sending him falling onto Cornette. With Rich flat on his back Stan tags in Bobby, who simply climbs up top and delivers The Alabama Jam scoring the 1-2-3 with relative ease. The fans cheer as The Midnight Express simply walk off, a look of satisfaction on their faces.

WINNERS: THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

OR: 62

commercials

Terry Taylor Gets His Shot...Again

Bob Caudle is standing with Terry Taylor in the interview area.

Caudle: Since you returned to WCW it has seemed like this was the moment that you have been building towards, Terry.

Taylor: I know I had a TV Title shot last month on PPV, but for some reason that seemed rather anticlimactic as it took several members of The Foundation to beat me. The chance I get tonight is NOT a chance I will waste. And to that end...

The fans cheer a bit as The Midnight Express again walk out and stand by Taylor.

Caudle: You have back-up?

Taylor shakes hands with Sweet Stan and Beautiful Bobby.

Taylor: Yes Bob, from two men who know firsthand and better than anyone what it's like to have to go up against James E. Cornette's men.

Sweet Stan: We call it evening the odds. If Terry wins, loses, or draws, he's going to do it one on one here tonight, with NO interference.

Caudle: Well Terry, allow me to wish you the best of luck here tonight.

Taylor shakes his hand too.

Taylor: Thanks Bob. Let's go guys.

The three men head over to the ring.

Caudle: Our Main Event is next folks.

commercials

WCW TV Title Match: Ron Garvin©(with James E. Cornette and The Rock-N-Roll Express) vs. Terry Taylor(with The Midnight Express)

Taylor is already in the ring once the commercials end, with The Midnight Express at ringside, as Cornette and The Rock-N-Roll Express lead Ron Garvin, carrying his OWN briefcase this week, to the ring. They stop at ringside, where a small huddle of sorts takes place as Cornette is handed the case and Garvin removes the WCW TV Title belt. He slowly gets into the ring, all the while this is happening Bischoff and Jesse are discussing the merits of Garvin as TV Champion, and holds the belt in front of Taylor's face while shaking his head in a negative motion. He hands the belt off to the ref, who holds the belt high, then calls for the bell. Jesse reminds everyone that a TV Title Match has a 10-Minute time limit, and that the challenger MUST beat the champion, and not vice versa. The two men waste some of the opening minutes locking up, breaking apart, then locking up again, while Garvin goes to the ropes and leans through them to talk to Cornette. The Midnight Express are pounding the mat, which starts a short and lackluster response from the crowd, and gets The Rock-N-Roll Express to yell at them. Finally, almost three minutes into the match, Garvin locks up with Taylor and delivers a knee to the midsection that staggers Taylor. Garvin then attempts to bring him down to the mat, but Taylor gets out and reverses the hold into a Belly To Back Suplex that he bridges into an attempted pinfall. The fans cheer until Garvin gets out of it at two. Garvin is quick to his feet, and he delivers some punches to the head of Taylor. Jesse is mentioning that Taylor needs to avoid the left hand at ALL costs, which is exactly what he does, sending both men to the mat, where a small brawl ensues. Taylor is the victor here in the less than nice looking brawl, and he comes off the ropes with a Knee Drop to the left arm of Garvin. Garvin rolls around in pain, attempting to crawl from the ring, but Taylor grabs his feet and pulls him back, then stomps on Garvin's arm. The fans cheer a bit here, as on the floor Ricky and Robert look nervous. They confer with Cornette, then begin to make their way around opposite sides of the ring slowly. Taylor releases an Arm Bar, then drops another knee onto the arm, before applying his Figure Four Arm Lock onto a screaming Garvin. On the floor Sweet Stan hits Too Sweet on Ricky, while Beautiful Bobby slams Robert's head into the ring post. The ref is asking Garvin if he submits, as Cornette rushes onto the apron, however before the ref can see him both Bobby and Stan pull him off. Bobby slaps Cornette, which sends him right into Too Sweet from Sweet Stan. As he drops, and the fans cheer, Garvin says yes and the ref calls for the bell. The fans cheer as Taylor releases the hold and The Midnight's rush into the ring. Taylor is handed the WCW TV Title, as Garvin rolls to the floor, and Stan and Bobby clap with their friend inside the ring.

OR: 61

The WCW TV Title lost in over dropping from 75 to 73

OR: 65

TV RATING: 5.85

Best Segment: Cornette makes tonight's matches

Worst Segment: Stan Hansen defeats Ron Harris

It's great to see the T.V Belt off of Gravin, but putting it on Taylor is like "going from the frying pan into the fire." It's a lose-lose situation with those two. Let's hope your using Taylor as a transitional champion so you can get the belt on a guy like Owen Hart.

It's great to see the T.V Belt off of Gravin, but putting it on Taylor is like "going from the frying pan into the fire." It's a lose-lose situation with those two. Let's hope your using Taylor as a transitional champion...

Hey, back in the day Terry Taylor was looked at as the second coming of Ric Flair. And he would've been if McMahon hadn't ruined him with the Red Rooster gimmick. And I see Garvin as a decent champ. Why does everyone hate him? He is a former NWA World Champion.

Oh and TGC, I think having Stan Lane and Brian Pillman in your sig could be a message. :shifty:

Hey, back in the day Terry Taylor was looked at as the second coming of Ric Flair. And he would've been if McMahon hadn't ruined him with the Red Rooster gimmick. And I see Garvin as a decent champ. Why does everyone hate him? He is a former NWA World Champion.

Oh and TGC, I think having Stan Lane and Brian Pillman in your sig could be a message.  :shifty:

Ron Garvin in this diary is the equivalent of Randy Orton in real life. The fans hate him, he's not over and yet he got a huge push. The only person Garvin was over with here was TGC, which sucked since he was the guy in charge <_<. A new TV champ = :thumbs-up:

In real life, I didn't mind Garvin too much, and the Garvin Stomp was ahead of its time. If someone did that these days the move would be over huge ala crappy moves such as the Worm, Stinkface and People's Elbow.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, this is all but dead sadly.

No, no its not. Just because someone dosen't put up a fucking show a day dosen't mean its dead!

God, I hate you ignorant fucks sometimes. He said in another topic its NOT dead, yet you don't believe the man himself, and act like a retard. Fucking CARE BEAR MOTHER FUCKER!

No, no its not. Just because someone dosen't put up a fucking show a day dosen't mean its dead!

God, I hate you ignorant fucks sometimes. He said in another topic its NOT dead, yet you don't believe the man himself, and act like a retard. Fucking CARE BEAR MOTHER FUCKER!

Can you say

user posted image

?

Edited by Franchise

Calm down.

Is this diary, seriously over? If it is, that is a damn shame. This is one of the reasons why I don't have the guts to put up one of my own cos its far superior to the majority you get on here, and including mine that I have on my PC.

For all it lasted, this is as close to perfect scenarios as you can possibly get. If it is, however, still up and running then may I ask that you keep pushing Ron Garvin, a guy that never got his just rewards.