And the worst possible potential remake goes to.....

Laice07

Source

With The Weinstein Co. now fully separated from the Miramax label, the two brothers are in the midst of gathering financing and seem to already have secured more than half of their ambitious $420 million goals to finance a slate of new projects to turn themselves into a distributor to rival reports The New York Times.

Two Michael Moore films, one this year ("Fahrenheit 9/11.5") and one next ("Sicko"), were projected to bring the Weinsteins their largest profits each year. More key though is the agreement with Disney has given the Weinstein's sequel rights to 15 franchise or potentially franchise projects.

Most high profile amongst these is a touted remake of John Carpenter classic "Halloween" released through Bob Weinstein's Dimension label, which has made genre films like the "Scream" and "Scary Movie" series. They've also taken thirteen TV projects from Disney, including future seasons of "Project Greenlight" and "Project Runway".

don't see this one working. The Fog maybe as it was never one of Carpenter's best films mainly due to technical limitations that can now be overcome (Hell their main effect was a cheapy fog machie). But Halloween worked on many levels. The soundtrack punctuated every scene creating the perfect suspensful atmosphere. Our killer, even with the mask, had a personality (my favorite scene is where he sticks the boyfriend to the cabinet then stands back and ponders his achievement) that many generic serial killers in slasher flicks don't exhude. And Carpenter seemed to avoid lots of the later cliche's in the slasher genre he and Black Christmas helped create (there was another before BC that I'm forgetting).

Here's how I envision the remake. Lots of shiny happy teens (which does fit the original - though lets hope they choose for appropriate look rather than going with the typical Playboy Playmate type look), bright vivid colors instead of the darker gritty look of Carpenter's original, liscensed soundtrack instead of a more appropriate and understated score, and likely a reworking of the plot (hey Leatherface was angy that he was deformed in the new revision - sigh - so maybe Michael will actually be a sexually repressed female in mans skin).

If companies would just stick to flicks that would benefit from a modern facelift instead of a classic that works as well today as it did many years ago they'd be better off. The Fog can work as current CGI can really help with the fog effect and create more of an uneasy atmosphere. Halloween however works as is every bit as much today as it did upon release.

The whole beauty of that movie was the fact that carpenter took almost nothing and made an awesome movie out of it and you can't reproduce that.

Oh well, that's one remake I am sure could never touch the original, but they can try and fail all they want.

Another Source

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the "worst possible remake". It's not like the original was beloved and/or rewarded like say, "The Manchurian Candidate" or "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town". At least with this movie they can modernize with top line special effects.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the "worst possible remake". It's not like the original was beloved and/or rewarded like say, "The Manchurian Candidate" or "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town". At least with this movie they can modernize with top line special effects.

I understand where you're coming from, Beatnik, but Halloween does command respect among its fans in much the same way that those films do among Sinatra fans and all. Sure, it didn't win Oscars and the like but it is as memorable if not MORE memorable than those features.

And I also don't agree with this decision. H-town is doing far too many remakes for their own good, and really should stop with it fast before they continue to lose audiences a la the music industry. I mean, you already say what happened with the "box office slump" of this year.

2) I think any fan of great cinema is going to agree that a cornball Adam Sandler comedy remake of a Frank Capra classic is much more puzzling a decision than a faithful remake of John Carpenter film assumedly with his blessing.

Edited by ROC

As for whether or not it's faithful, mind you Tope Hooper, who directed the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, also supported and produced that remake. And no one's doubting which version of that is better.

I don't know why anyone would be shocked by a Halloween remake. What's so bad about that? Will it match the original? Probably not... but it's certainly not the worst possible remake ever. Come see me when they try to remake The Wizard of Oz (the Wiz doesn't count) or Casablanca, then we'll talk about worst remakes ever.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was lame, this probably will be too, but it's certainly not that offensive.