The Monday Night Wars

thatblindgeye

IPB Image

The history of WCW dates back to the 1980's. A long, confusing history. It first started off with Jim Crocket merging several NWA promotions into one and promoting under the name "NWA: World Championship Wrestling". Crocket went on a buying spree, buying up promotions from left to right to make a national promotion. Because of this, people thought that WCW was the NWA, when in fact it wasn't. The NWA was an on paper organization funded by Crocket, which allowed him to use the NWA name. With all of the buying, though, Crocket was in debt. This is where Ted Turner came into play. The billionaire purchased Crocket's firm.

By 1991, WCW seperated itself from the NWA completely and recognized their own WCW World Heavyweight and WCW World Tag Team Champions. Ric Flair was WCW's World Heavyweight champion in 1991, but he was also the NWA's champion as well. This soon changed when Flair was fired from WCW, and the WCW World Heavyweight champ took his title to the WWF after not getting back his deposit on the belt. Flair paraded in the WWF and called himself the REAL World champion. With this happening, WCW went back to the NWA name and sued the WWF for Flair to stop using the belt, and the belt was soon returned to the WCW after getting back his deposit.

Flair would again appear in WCW and become the World Heavyweight champion yet again. This was a complex time because WCW had its own champion, but still recognized the NWA title as well. Other NWA members demanded Flair to defend the title in their territories, as said by the old NWA agreements. Flair was scheduled to drop the title to Rick Rude, but the NWA Board of Directors objected, and this caused WCW to once again seperate from the NWA, this time for good, in late 1993.

WCW owned the NWA World Heavyweight title, but not allowed to use the NWA name they changed it to the WCW International World Heavyweight title. Sting won this belt and lost a unification match in May of 1994 to the WCW World Champion, Ric Flair. Things got even more complex when WCW dropped this title and revived the old NWA World Heavyweight title, calling it the WCW World Heavyweight title.

Eric Bischoff, former AWA announcer, was brought into WCW when the product was sinking and he helped the company recover. Bischoff showed agressiveness when he signed Randy Savage and wrestling's biggest star, Hulk Hogan, in 1994. But, even with those signings things were still a mess. The older guys, Hogan is one good example, didn't really want to let the younger guys overshadow him and signs of age were showing up on him.

September of 1995 was the time that WCW recieved a prime time television deal, going right up against WWF Monday Night Raw, after Eric Bischoff told Ted Turner that the only way to compete with WWF is with a prime time tv show. The show would be called WCW Monday Nitro, and it would air 5 minutes BEFORE and AFTER WWF Monday Night Raw began and went off the air. WCW had the advantage, though, because Nitro would be broadcast LIVE every week while Raw was taped. With only a few days until the first Nitro, who knows what will happen. This is...

IPB Image

----------

OCC

One thing I should let you all know is I MIGHT do the nWo storyline still. Not sure if I will or not. If I do I will try to make it my own without copying real life too much. If you have objections about it let me know.

I will be using the storylines that happened in real life at this time and will do the same thing WCW did for a few things and the first Nitro will be about the same as real life.

I MAY have a little rumours section every week or something but I am not sure about that. Depends if people would like to see it or not. If you have any comments on how I can improve, whether it be big things like the way shows are portrayed to small things like where periods should go, let me know even if it means you have to be an ******* :lol:, and hopefully I won't destroy the legacy of WCW, if that is possible :lol:

Edited by Vitamin E

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backstory was a good read. While if you personalized the nWo, I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, I actually think you'd be better off without it. The Monday Night Wars are defined with the Attitude Era and the nWo. When writing something like this, your main objective should be to REDEFINE it. Just take some time to think of a new, huge storyline rather than nWo to rewrite WCW during this period.

yeah, really looking forward to this diary. set the scene well, and i've not really read one from when the monday night wars really started. it's usually 1996 that i've read in the past. Only advice I could possibly suggest as sometihng I'd like to see from the diary would be two things, 1. remember that every single week you're trying to outdo what's on the other side. taking potshots at them, outdiong them, putting on something bigger and better, stealing stars, etc etc, there is no room for a weak show. every single week needs to be huge and bigger than what they're doing on that other channel. 2. personally with everyone debating the nWo angle I'd go with it, perhaps, but there's really one major condition to it I suppose. End the bloody thing. The first year of nWo was insanely good, amazing stuff, it really was. Had they had the balls to find a way for it all to end, whether that be with WCW winning, or with them doing the unthinkable and having the nWo really takeover and WCW being no more (an idea which always intrigues me) then they could have gone on and built from there. Instead we got "not sure what to do this week, new idea? fuck that, lets just get some guys out in black, white and/or red t shirts out again.

I'm fascinated with the Monday Night Wars, so I'll probably be hooked to this diary. I don't mind whether you create the nWo or not, but I would advise that 1) if you do create them, create them towards your own ideas, don't just copy them straight up, 2) if you don't create the nWo, you've got a massive gap to fill in your shows. I can't wait for this diary to start - good luck

Edited by Kanegetshighbysmellinhisarmpits

The New World Order only worked initially because of two things:

+ Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were portrayed as guys from the WWE.

+ Hulk Hogan turned heel for the first time since 1983.

There is no other components that create the, arguably, best angle ever (I'm talking about before Brian fucking Adams became a member too <_<). Just think about it and think about how you could create your own groundbreaking angle.

The point of diaries is to book your own ideas you know. (Y)

The current storylines in WCW aren't that much. The main one is Kevin Sullivan putting together a stable of wrestlers that want Hulk Hogan gone. His stable consists of himself as the leader, Big Bubba Rogers in a bodyguard type role, Hugh Morrus, Meng, The Barbarian, One Man Gang, and 7 foot, 500 pounder, The Giant, who joined Sullivan's crusade after blaming Hogan as the reason why his father (Andre The Giant) is no longer walking the Earth. Hogan has enlisted the help of Randy Savage and Sting to battle the stable, known as the Dungeon Of Doom.

Another major storyline that was going on was two former Horsemen, Ric Flair and Arn Anderson, actually fueding with eachother. Arn turned on Flair, and became the bad guy, after getting sick of doing Flair's dirty work. The fued has only been going on for a few weeks, but it is still as hot as any fued can be.

The minor storyline going on is the Tag Team titles being vacant and a tournament being held to declare new champions. The former champions, Bunkhouse Buck and Dick Slaytor, were let go from WCW after disagreements and the titles were declared vacant when a decision could not be made a few weeks back on WCW Saturday Night. More information will be provided on the first Nitro broadcast. The tournament is scheduled to have 2 matches on the Nitro debut, 2 matches the following week on the 11th, having 2 matches with the winners of the first four matches face off, and then having the finals at WCW Fall Brawl on September 24th.

So not many storylines going on with WCW Monday Nitro's debut around the corner, but there is time for improvement.

----------

IPB Image

Current WCW Fall Brawl Card

War Games Match

The Hulkamaniacs (Sting/Randy Savage/Hulk Hogan) vs Dungeon Of Doom (Meng/The Barbarian/Big Bubba Rogers/One Man Gang)

Grudge Match

Arn Anderson vs Ric Flair

WCW Tag Team Championship Match

Two Finalists Face Off

WCW Television Championship

Diamond Dallas Page vs The Renegade©

Johnny B. Badd vs Brian Pillman

--------------------

OCC

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. At the moment I am trying to think of a storyline that is as good/big or possibly better/bigger than the nWo. Worse comes to worse and I do the nWo storyline my own way.

Edited by Vitamin E

You just reminded me with that card what a horrible load of shit you have to work with. There's some great talent too, but there's also a lot of Ed Leslie, and John Tenta, One Man Gang and friggin Kamala, and those idiots are all in and around your main event scene. Oh dear.

this is gonna be interesting.

will be intrigued to see whether you debut Luger on the first show, whether you bother bringing in Alundra/Madusa and do the belt dropping thing, and where you go when big name WWF stars contracts are up.

And, if you don't go with those options what you do in their place to get one over on the competition.

WCW Programming

WCW Monday Nitro

Show Type-'A' Show

Airs-8:55 PM Eastern-11:05 PM Eastern on TNT

Announcers-Eric Bischoff, Larry Zbysko & Bobby Heenan

Other Info-Nitro was at first supposed to only be an hour show, but Ted Turner changed his mind after Eric Bischoff talked him into making it longer.

WCW Saturday Night

Show Type-'B' Show

Airs-6:05 PM Eastern-7:35 PM Eastern on TBS

Announcers-Tony Schiavone & Mike Tenay

Other Info-WCW Saturday Night will be taped on Wednesdays at MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida. A few select wrestlers will fly down, along with Tenay and Schiavone, to shoot the show.

Pay-Per-View Schedule

September 24th, 1995-Fall Brawl

October 29th, 1995-Halloween Havoc

November 26th, 1995-World War 3

December 24th, 1995-Starrcade XII

January 28th, 1996-Clash Of The Champions XXXI

February 25th, 1996-Superbrawl

March 31st, 1996-Uncensored

April 21st, 1996-Spring Stampede

May 26th, 1996-Slamboree

June 30th, 1996-The Great American Bash

July 28th, 1996-Bash At The Beach

August 25th, 1996-Clash Of The Champions XXXII

----------

Even though it will be unrealistic, I will post attendance and Nielsen ratings for both Monday Night Raw and WCW Monday Nitro at the end of every Nitro write-up, along with the Raw results. I might make up my own Raw results or I may just copy the actual results for the shows. Not sure yet. When I put up shows, I will not be posting the overall ratings or anything, but instead I will give star ratings. This is how they will work-

95-100 Overall Rating-*****

90-94 Overall Rating-****1/2

85-89 Overall Rating-****

80-84 Overall Rating-***1/2

75-79 Overall Rating-***

70-74 Overall Rating-**1/2

65-69 Overall Rating-**

60-64 Overall Rating-*1/2

55-59 Overall Rating-*

50-54 Overall Rating-1/2

0-49 Overall Rating-DUD

Edited by Vitamin E

Just a quickie, I know the game only lets you have two announcers (asuming you're doing EWR for this?) but if you're capturing WCW it's really important you go with three. The announce team, if I remember right for the first Monday Nitro that you've got coming up was Bischoff, Heenan and McMichael. Three guys is really important, whichever three you go with, might only sound like a small thing but it was just "so WCW". But that's just how I'd see it personally, doesn't mean for a second you have to listen to it. From a personal standpoint I always prefer a three man announce team to a two anyway too but meh.

OCC

I will probably change it to a 3 man team if I can find someone I like to put in there. I know that the 3 man announce team IS WCW, but the only announcers with pretty high talent are Ventura and Ferrera, and maybe Meltzer. Don't worry, though. If not from the beginning then eventually I will step into the 3 man announce team. The reason it is only 2 though is because I thought that at one point it was only 2 announcers.

Edited by Vitamin E

OCC

I will probably change it to a 3 man team if I can find someone I like to put in there. I know that the 3 man announce team IS WCW, but the only announcers with pretty high talent are Ventura and Ferrera, and maybe Meltzer. Don't worry, though. If not from the beginning then eventually I will step into the 3 man announce team. The reason it is only 2 though is because I thought that at one point it was only 2 announcers.

Technically yes as Steve McMichael was about as good as commentator as I am a dentist.

Which game are you using? TEW or EWR?

Technically yes as Steve McMichael was about as good as commentator as I am a dentist.
Lucky he was a better wrestler then, errrr yeah.

if you're using EWR what i tend to do is usually have two announcers signed, and then use one of my roster, who can announce, as the third for diary purposes. maybe someone like a dusty rhodes? larry zbysko? that kinda guy, and then just write in the diary that it's the three of them even though in the game you can only have two announcers. but yeah, as far as I can remember (bar perhaps the odd week here and there for some reason) Nitro was always three announcers. In fact, at times it was technically four as they'd split the colour commentating and change half way through. Heenan and Zbysko used to do half the show each at one point.