Resident Evil DS Announced

Benji

Resident Evil DS Announced for US

Capcom reveals the US title and release window for the dual-screen survival horror game.

by Craig Harris

October 21, 2005 - Survival horror will be hitting the Nintendo DS early next year, as Capcom has revealed that it will release Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the system in the first quarter of 2006.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence is a remake of the original Resident Evil, the game that started it all on the original PlayStation system. In the game, players control

Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine as they investigate a mysterious mansion filled with vicious and hungry undead people, gigantic spiders, and other crazy creatures.

The game has been updated to put the Nintendo DS system's unique dual screen and touch screen elements to use: players will be able to keep their map or inventory on one screen while the action is played out on the other. Players will even be able to slash at enemies with a knife using the touch screen, as well as shake off enemies by rubbing the screen. The microphone will even come into play in puzzles where players will need to blow into the mic at certain parts of the adventure.

Capcom is also incorporating multiplayer in the game, offering a new Vs. mode for as many as four players, or a cooperative mode where players work together to get out of the mansion.

Check out new screens and artwork below. We'll have more on the game as we get closer to its release date.

I'm not sure whether it'll be worth the money but I'll be buying it still, of all the remakes of the original I think this will be the best just based on interactivity. The one problem I have with it is that 'horror' games generally don't play well on a handheld, they just don't get the same pros across that a nice TV and console do.

Looks good, but if the reviews blow, then forget it.

Is it first person?

IIRC it can be interchangeable in this version, I think it tends to change automatically depending on location or personal choice.

Looks good, but if the reviews blow, then forget it.

If it's like the original it's worth it IMO if you didn't play it, even though I have played it I'm buying it because it looks like some new unique features will be included.

Edited by Benjirino~!

Deadly Silence will have remake and original modes when it hits Japanese shelves in January.

Much to the chagrin of import-friendly gamers, Capcom's Resident Evil: Deadly Silence won't be replacing their nighttime visions of sugarplums with night terrors of decayed and animated corpses in time for the holidays. However, the game won't miss that release window by much, and its mid-January Japanese release date means it won't be long before they can waste away long winter nights staving off sleep while the light of the DS keeps the dark at bay.

In a bid to heighten anticipation, the latest issue of Famitsu reveals the game's January 19 release and 5,040 yen ($44) price tag, as well as details about the game's two modes: rebirth and classic.

The rebirth mode is the main mode of the game, where the player can experience a remake of the original Resident Evil with new traps, different enemy locations, touch-screen features, and controls updated to play more like a recent Resident Evil game. Players can do a quick 180 degree turn, draw their trusty survival knife, and reload their weapon without needing to go through a menu screen.

Classic mode, on the other hand, lets players enjoy Resident Evil like the original PlayStation release. The controls, traps, and enemy layouts will be true to the original, and there's no use of the DS stylus. What's more, classic mode features the full-voiced event dialogues, as well as the PlayStation's live action opening and ending movies.

In terms of multiplayer gaming, Deadly Silence includes cooperative and versus modes that let up to four players enjoy the game together. In cooperative mode, players will help each other escape from the mansion by taking on enemies and traps together. The versus mode lets players compete with each other for the high score by killing the most multicolored zombies. Unfortunately, the game does not support Nintendo Wi-Fi at the moment.

By Staff -- GameSpot

Posted Oct 27, 2005 5:21 pm PT

I was kind of hoping the classic version would be the "Directors Cut" version as that was better than the actual original IMO. Still, I don't think the two versions will be THAT significantly different to require two versions in the game, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Edited by Benjirino~!