2005-2006 NBA Season Topic

Blitz

Well, it's that time of year again. Many have the San Antonio Spurs predicted to win yet another NBA Championship due to their additions of Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel. No one really left the Spurs from their championship team, which means they will only get better this year. The Miami Heat could give them a run for their money, however, if they can keep all of their egos in check. I have a feeling this will be an exciting year in the NBA as LeBron James is sure to make his first playoff appearance and also the Lakers will be making news with the arrival of Phil Jackson back to the bench.

Thoughts? Predictions?

I am looking forward to watching the Cavs this season, not that is any different from any other year for me but this year my expectations are higher then they have been anyother year for them. I would have to say that bar a complete disater they will be in the playoffs and depending how things shake out I think they could be as high as 4-5, lots of things would have to go right for them to get there but I think it could be a possiblity. I will make a prediction and say they win 48-50, they won 42 last year with less then they got this year so I think that is a pretty good guess. As for Lebron I think that his points wont go down much as people think and he will likely have a few more apg with the new guys. I am glad the Cavs have finally added some outside shooting since that is what they drastically needed. I think that the NBA right now is getting close to having even confrences, the East just countiues to get better and thier may not be a talent gap between the confrences as there has been in the past. Also the Central in the East should be really compiteve with Indiana, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, and Milwakuee all having good teams, altough I still expect Detroit or Indiana to finish up on the top. Sorry for the rambling but I really can wait till November 2nd the home opener for the cavs and the beginning of a new NBA season.

Let's not forget the Eastern Conference champion Detroit Pistons here. They still have one of the best starting fives in the NBA, if not the best. On top of that, the bench looks to be greatly improved just by having a new coach. Darko Milicic has been impressive with his new found agression on the boards, defensively, and on offense. He's going to average atleast a block a game, and will be a solid contributor off of the bench. Carlos Delfino is another guy that seems much improved now that the tyrannical Larry Brown is off to New York. The free agent Maurice Evans look to have been a steal with his outstanding defense, soaring dunks, and good jump shot.

I think the Pistons get back the NBA finals this year. I still don't see Indiana or Miami as a superior team to us. Miami's new additions are not going to put them over the top, best they do is the Eastern Conference finals. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams just don't do it for me, and I still like what we have over them and the rest of Miami.

Pistons will take a step back this year I think, probably to a three or four seed. Indiana, Miami, and uhhhhh someone else will finish ahead of them.

West will probably be a good race all season long. San Antonio is the "favorite", but anyone can win it. I think the Kings will be able to do a lot this year, because they're actually going to have their best players healthy this season.

This year will be one of the most competitive in recent NBA memory.

Well tonight is the start of the season for most teams that didnt start tonight, for me it will be my first chance to watch the new and improved Cavs team and I am looking forward to it. Tonight hopefully should be a victory coming against the NO/OKC Hornets altough they did play pretty last night. The game that I am looking forward to personally this week is the Cavs vs. Spurs on Friday. That game we give and early scale for me how the cavs might be able to do either way I am excited to get this season started.

Rockets over the Nets in the finals. I can see the Spurs just resting everybody through the regular season be like the 4th seed and then lose in the 2nd round. I really expect the Rockets to be good this year. Let's just hope Van Gundy can settle down Alston. I'll put a more detailed preview in the next couple of days.

Rockets over the Nets in the finals. I can see the Spurs just resting everybody through the regular season be like the 4th seed and then lose in the 2nd round. I really expect the Rockets to be good this year. Let's just hope Van Gundy can settle down Alston. I'll put a more detailed preview in the next couple of days.

As much as I dont want to see the Spurs get to atleast the WCF, I think it is kinda hard to believe that they wouldnt make atleast to the WCF. Obviously teams like the Rockets got better in the Western Confrence but the Spurs improved on an already great team that just won the championship so until futher notice for me I have them in the finals. The Nets have a good core group also but again I think that there are atleast two teams that are better then them, the Pistons Pacers, and possibly the Heat depending on how things shake out their. My finals pick I think will be Spurs and Pacers final altough I am not sure who I would pick in the series.

Anyways I was happy to see that my Cavs got off to a good start tonight granted it was against the Hornets but still a good effort nonetheless. The team weakness 3-point shooting last year was non-exsistent tonight with a 13-20 for the team and Lebron hit 6-7 and went on a major run at the end of the first half to put any chance of a Hornets win out of thier mind. Jones and Marshall off the bench worked out well with them combining for 30 points(Jones 12,Marshall 18) and also both hitting the outside shots. Like I said before this Fridays game against the Spurs will be an early test for this team to see where they stand.

The Nets have a good trio, but that's about it. Who's coming off their bench? Jeff McInnis?

Plus, I seriously doubt they will head into the playoffs with all three guys in their lineup. All of them have had a history of bad injuries, and I think at least one will go down.

Edited by Blitz

On top of the injury issue, Kidd is getting older and playing on bum knee's. He's not going to be as good as he was a few years ago, and can't play D with those sore knee's. Carter and Jefferson are both good, but the Nets don't have a very strong front court. With teams like Detroit, Indiana, and Miami there is no way the Nets big men can hang with either of those three teams front courts. Plus there is the issue of the bench mentioned by Blitz, they have McInnis who is solid, and Cliff Robinson who is decent but 39 years old.

I'm still taking Detroit in the East, and probably San Antonio in the West again. San Antonio is as good as they ever were, and added some nice pieces like Finley and Van Axel to the bench. The team has chemistry, and one of the top five players in the league. Detroit on the other hand is bringing the same starting line up for the third straight year, the longest tenure of any team currently in the NBA. Chemistry is a factor in why the Pistons will continue to play so well, on top of having a much deeper bench than last year. Plus, the team looks better offensively with Flip Saunders on the sideline, and the Pistons are mature enough to keep the rock solid defense up without having Larry Brown in their ear. Speaking of Larry Brown, his departure is going to automatically help guys like Darko, Carlos Delfino, and Carlos Arroyo because Flip is much more willing to give these guys their chance. One more comment on Larry, this Pistons team will be playing with a chip on their shoulder, wanting to prove they can get it done without Larry Brown.

Personally, it's coming down to Indiana and Detroit this year in the East. Miami's going to take a step back, I think the additions they made will end costing them big.

Edit - Nice game between Detroit and Boston tonight. I was happy as hell to see Rip Hamilton make the game winning shot with .8 seconds left in the game. I love buzzer beating wins, they make me all giddy inside. We almost lost after Mark Blount double dribbled then hit a jump shot that seemingly won the game. Either way, I give Boston a lot of credit, I think they are going to be a damn tough team to compete with this season. I can see them giving many teams fits this year, and Boston fans, you have yourself a nice point guard in Delonte West.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Yeah all those off-season moves are really paying off for the Knicks. This team is difficult to watch. They are getting physically dominated by the likes of the Warriors and the Trailblazers. Granted both teams are much improved but the Knicks just out and out suck. This team will never get under the cap so they will just continue to take on marginal players with crappy contracts. This will perpetuate their sucking for years to come. Thank God I have more options for games to watch because I will not watch this team for a great while.

So the Heat lasted all of about three games. I picked Detroit to go over San Antonio this year in the finals, and it's looking pretty good so far.

What are your surprise picks for this year? I like Golden State and I even have them in the playoffs. Baron Davis made that team click on all cylinders after he got traded in the middle of last year. I'm looking for both the Warriors and Clippers to end droughts and make the playoffs this year in the West.

It has been fun to watch the Cavs in thier games so far other then the game on ESPN against the Spurs that was brutal, but other then that they havent played to poorly. I think that right now they are playing ok but once they are able to come together and get to know how to play with each other things will get even better. Even though they really didnt face dominant teams at home so far I think they should be able to put up a pretty good record at "The Q", and speaking of the Q I must say the new scoreboard that the owner put in looks real nice and I can't wait till they are able to pull the god awful blue seats out of the arena and put in the wine ones they look nice. I have been sorta suprised by Lebrons play so far he is still scoring high with more talent around him altough Larry Hughes really hasnt hit his stride yet. I always thought Donyell Marshall was pretty good and was a good pick up but right now he looks to be the top pick up for the team so far in the off season. He provides a spark off the bench hitting 3's rebonding, and doing anything else. He is averaging about a double double off the bench so that makes me happy.

So the Heat lasted all of about three games. I picked Detroit to go over San Antonio this year in the finals, and it's looking pretty good so far.

What are your surprise picks for this year? I like Golden State and I even have them in the playoffs. Baron Davis made that team click on all cylinders after he got traded in the middle of last year. I'm looking for both the Warriors and Clippers to end droughts and make the playoffs this year in the West.

You named my surprise picks. I've been waiting for both teams to come out of their playoff droughts, and hopefully this is the year for both. I'm a sucker for seeing consistently shitty teams come out and surprise everybody. I think between the two, I like Golden State a bit more. I love their backcourt, and I like the way Troy Murphy has been playing thus far. Plus, I mark for Pietrus, as he seems to make a very nice bench player for them. I'd love to see them make a lot of noise this year. Not at the exspense of the Pistons of course. :shifty:

Two in a row for the Knicks after an 0-5 start. They still look like crap though. Jerome James is averaging more fouls per game than points and Quentin Richardson is just a chucker. Jamal Crawford needs to start with Marbury in the backcourt and have the rookies play a bigger role. Nice to see Channing Frye come to life the other night but he still plays timid. I still don't think the Knicks are a playoff team evene though they just beat two Western Conference teams in a row.

Two in a row for the Knicks after an 0-5 start. They still look like crap though. Jerome James is averaging more fouls per game than points and Quentin Richardson is just a chucker. Jamal Crawford needs to start with Marbury in the backcourt and have the rookies play a bigger role. Nice to see Channing Frye come to life the other night but he still plays timid. I still don't think the Knicks are a playoff team evene though they just beat two Western Conference teams in a row.

Agreed, and I still can't understand why they signed a bum like Jerome James to such a lucrative contract (lucrative for him anyway). They really were fooled by those solid playoff games, despite him not doing much else other than that. I agree that the rookies need to play a bigger role, but with Larry Brown as the head coach, don't expect that. He is really not a very good coach for developing younger players, a great coach in general, but terrible with young guys.